Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Sage's Reverie looks like a cool card, but I can't help but feel like the decks that want it have already won or are about to win if they're ever in a position to cast it. It cantrips if it lands, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
This looks like it could be usable in a Whip deck maybe?

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

This is going to result in so much rage.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lightning Bolt with a condition is still pretty strong, doubly so given that Red has Rabblemaster to get creatures to sac. I just wonder if Collateral Damage is good enough to be Lava Spike 5-8(?) in modern Burn. Worth at least testing in the side board I guess...

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Is it just me or does this seem pretty good, especially for a colorless creature? Seven mana is obviously a lot, but it should dominate most limited boards, and FRF doesn't seem to be adding more cheap/efficient removal that can blow it out.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

That card is awesome.

Also:

I really really like this card and I don't know why

Because it's a bigtime finisher. Attack with 6 tokens and pump the one unblocked one +6 (or more if you have untapped lands).

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Nibble posted:

Is it just me or does this seem pretty good, especially for a colorless creature? Seven mana is obviously a lot, but it should dominate most limited boards, and FRF doesn't seem to be adding more cheap/efficient removal that can blow it out.

Meh, 7 is a ton. If you need a win condition it provides, but 7 is so many manas.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Lightform seems really solid for limited. 1WW for a 2/2 flying lifelink that can potentially flip up into a bigger creature that still has flying and lifelink.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

Nibble posted:

Isn't Shatter in Khans?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Dies to ferocious. :(

Rite of Undoing looks great. I don't remember if we saw that already.

edit: Shifting Loyalties is exactly the card my Aggressive Mining deck is looking for!

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
New art reprint of Typhoid Rats. Not sure how I feel about the art.

"Rats" with one Rat in the art. I thought they didn't want to do stuff like that anymore?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cernunnos posted:

This looks like it could be usable in a Whip deck maybe?

if it cost 2 less mana maybe.

Xir posted:

Isn't Shatter in Khans?

Yeah but not even this makes it maindeckable and if my opponent is bringing in a sideboard card that only interacts with one card in my deck I'm not that unhappy.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I really like this for Sligh (even if it kills my Goblin Surfer dreams). This makes it so much easier to push through lethal in deadlocked boardstates, and it doesn't even target their creatures so it can go round Caryatid.

Dragonrage is interesting, but unless you're trying to do something really weird or have loads of mana spare I think I prefer Trumpet Blast.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

tirinal posted:

This is the one, if there's a Legacy Manifest deck it's likely to be using a lot of this card.

And this looks brilliant for Modern Bogles.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
They also nicknamed Grim Contest as Butt Fight in development, heheh

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
This thing might be the least necessary flavor functional reprint of all time:

Why isn't this just Siege Mastodon? We're on a plane where both of those words appear on common cards :argh:

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

This is probably the first card since Future Sight that made me do a double take:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Map the Wastes seems like the kinda of unexciting card Green always wants 1 or 2 off in a Multi Colour limited block. Giving it the Bolster effect just makes that much better

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I really like this for Sligh (even if it kills my Goblin Surfer dreams). This makes it so much easier to push through lethal in deadlocked boardstates, and it doesn't even target their creatures so it can go round Caryatid.

Dragonrage is interesting, but unless you're trying to do something really weird or have loads of mana spare I think I prefer Trumpet Blast.

Considering it for MarduKing too. Everything but Butcher is <2 power. Like Rabblemaster.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Lot more decent removal in this set, it seems. (Limitedwise)

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Why would it have to be weird? You have 5 creatures, I have 6 little dudes, you're in single digits and seem to have stabilized. Normally I can't attack. Even with trumpet blast, I only get an extra 2 damage through with the one unblocked guy. For that same 3 mana, I instead get to pump my one unblocked creature by +6/+0 and you're probably dead.

I don't have a clue about constructed since I got out of standard, but that's a solid pick for an aggressive draft deck.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

vegetables posted:

This is probably the first card since Future Sight that made me do a double take:

...Not Emrakul or Griselbrand? :crossarms:

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Fleshbag Marauder reprint!

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

ungulateman posted:

...Not Emrakul or Griselbrand? :crossarms:

Well, those cards at least exist in the rules of Magic as I understand them, while "destroy target flying enchantment (that by implication isn't a creature)" is out there in an entirely different way.

Looking at the spoiler I'd guess Dragons is a battlecruiser set (which was probably guessable) with things that fly and are not creatures (which was definitely not). Perhaps Soulfire Grand Master implies an alternate future full of keywords on card types we don't expect? :iiam:

vegetables fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 9, 2015

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
No new interesting black delve spell unfortunately

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

vegetables posted:

Did you miss Crushing Vines in Dark Ascension?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

It's very bad.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Goblins once again proving to be the best - And it's not bad for limited either!

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Entropic posted:

Did you miss Crushing Vines in Dark Ascension?

Ah, I've misparsed the text! Well, that's my excitement level down/embarrassment level up.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
It's a decent enough set considering we're in the middle of downshifting Standard (Which is always fun right? Masques? Kamigawa? Anybody?)

Your big hitters are probably gonna be:
Morphilization
Monestary Rabblemaster
Swords to Morphs
Selsnya Dragon
Dragon Damnation
Delve Legend
Bearpuncher Phoenix
Totally Not Figure of Destiny

Special shout outs to:
Refocus
Misthollow Elemental
Every Mardu guy who ever jumped through a window

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 9, 2015

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

This card seems pretty good for limited.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Man, I'm going to jump through so many windows at the pre-release.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

tirinal posted:

I already hate it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cynic Jester posted:

This card seems pretty good for limited.

I'm usually happy to cast Two Tormented Souls, and randomly "drawing" this with a self-mill deck will be a lot of fun.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

uh

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wanna see a Cloudformnaught deck

mcmagic posted:

It's very bad.
Do you mean Break Through the Line or Dragonrage? Dragonrage does seem poor to me - the example with loads of attackers and one unblocked creature is possible I guess, but Trumpet Blast will usually lead to a blowout in that case so I still think it's better. As for the other, while I know it suffers from the enchantment problem there are a lot of matches where I feel like I would pay 2 mana to have their creatures never block me again.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

That seems... really good.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

vegetables posted:

Ah, I've misparsed the text! Well, that's my excitement level down/embarrassment level up.
:lol: I didn't even think of that. I wonder why they didn't just go with the modal templating, same as Crushing Vines?

Now I know I'm going to have to call a judge on someone telling me I can't Return to the Earth their Jeskai Ascendancy because it doesn't fly.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Is it finally Waste Not's time to shine??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Oh, this looks sweet.

• Locked thread