Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, they did once mock peaceful protesters in Egypt for getting gunned down by an authoritarian police state, which is basically the textbook definition of punching down, so I imagine that resulted in some folks seeing their anti-Muslim cartoons in a less charitable light.

Also, France is racist as gently caress towards African and Middle Eastern Muslims, which meant that even if they were going after other religions just as much, their anti-Muslim caricatures had a certain extra cultural weight behind them.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Coran is poo poo, it doesn't stop bullets

It's against violence and against religion. It's not against peaceful protesters.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Coran is poo poo, it doesn't stop bullets

It's against violence and against religion. It's not against peaceful protesters.

You don't see a certain unpleasant implication in going 'lol, stupid religious people thought their holy book could protect them' when peaceful protesters get massacred?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Darth Walrus posted:

You don't see a certain unpleasant implication in going 'lol, stupid religious people thought their holy book could protect them' when peaceful protesters get massacred?

Then again you're posting on the forum that gave us tribute.avi, tasteless humor should be nothing new to you.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Deltasquid posted:

I'm Belgian but Hara Kiri (CH's former name) and Charlie Hebdo are popular here as well. They're part of a thing that was way more popular decades ago but imagine them like MAD magazine or The Onion. they make fun of anyone and everyone (amongst others: various presidents, pretty much every major religion, lots of politicians).

People are talking about the cartoonists as if they were racists because yeah some of their satire was punching down on radical Islam and what have you. If you just google Charlie Hebdo without any context some of their covers might seem racist but they really were just people who gave 0 shits and if you complained that they were offensive they doubled down in their next issue just to troll you.

There's also one image of a black French politician depicted as a monkey but above it is written something that could be translated as "THIS IS WHAT THOSE RIGHT-WINGERS ACTUALLY BELIEVE" because the FN had compared her to a monkey and thrown bananas at her and nonsense like that. Said black woman thanked them for pointing out how absurd FN is. But of course glancing over their material and being offended is easier than seeking context.

I'm not super familiar with French culture, but from my various investigations into history, I've noticed that Francophone political satire seems to have a tradition of being intentionally hamfisted, in a so-bad-it's-good way. At least, I know Revolution-era publications in the vein of Le Père Duchesne can put FYAD to shame with how cheerfully obscene they were, as could later 19th century stuff that I ran into. This is especially noticable compared to the ironic style of contemporary Anglophone satire or Germany's apparent wall of separation between the bawdy and the political.

Is this observation roughly correct? If so, I'd imagine much of the racism accusations are culture shock, since the French flavor of "let's see how far we can take this" brutal iconoclasm just doesn't fly in many other countries and people are taking it at face value.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

Then again you're posting on the forum that gave us tribute.avi, tasteless humor should be nothing new to you.

Nobody's trying to pretend goons aren't horrible people, though.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Guildencrantz posted:

Germany's apparent wall of separation between the bawdy and the political.

Well you know how Germans love their walls.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Now I know that if El Jueves got shot up DnD posters would be calling them terrible racists even though they are the greatest force of antifascism in Spain.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Cat Mattress posted:

The short and sweet is that people believing the CH staff was racist are either stupid or ignorant. Most probably both.

Is defending people who abuse freedom of speech to criticize others really the hill you want to die on?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Randler posted:

Is defending people who abuse freedom of speech to criticize others really the hill you want to die on?

You have nooooooooooo clue what you're talking about.

Brannock posted:

Stephane Charbonnier's 'companion', Jeannette Bougrab, was born to a French Algerian father. She was part of the administrative board of the Arab World Institute and multiple other equality/antidiscrimination/antiracism organizations, including the authority to fight against discrimination and for equality as part of the French government.

Sure sounds like someone that would have been totally okay with any "racism" that Charb or his magazine published!

Charb himself was about to release a book on Islamophobia before he was brutally murdered.

http://www.sudouest.fr/2015/01/08/charlie-hebdo-jeannette-bougrab-compagne-de-charb-il-a-ete-execute-1790560-6092.php
http://www.francetvinfo.fr/faits-di...gne_791941.html

The magazine was stridently anti-racist and anti-fascist, among many other anti-s.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

Darth Walrus posted:

Sure I do. Those damned Special Circumstances goons, coming over here, destabilising our governments...

Seriously, though, European culture is hardly in danger of being wiped out. It's a dominant hegemony integrating other cultures into itself. All immigration does is make it richer and more diverse and keep it from becoming stagnant.

Most of US culture is garbage and is close to(?) being the most diverse nation on the planet.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TheNakedFantastic posted:

Most of US culture is garbage and is close to(?) being the most diverse nation on the planet.

If US culture is so "garbage" then why do the rest of you lot love it so much. Don't try to pretend you don't, we all see how well our stuff sells in your countries.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
It's my pleasure to point out the obvious: African-American's created nearly every genre of 20th century music. 20th century comedy, both its forms and sensibilities, are almost entirely the creation of American Jews. American culture is one of the greatest arguments for multiculturalism.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nintendo Kid posted:

If US culture is so "garbage" then why do the rest of you lot love it so much. Don't try to pretend you don't, we all see how well our stuff sells in your countries.

What kind of stuff? Television shows, films, music etc.? McDonalds, Ford, mortgage backed securities?

Also, by this metric you would have to acknowledge that football is better than any American sport, like handegg, baseball and basketball.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

It sells so well because in many cases you own the media and either flood it with your own to dilute ours, or straight up block any of ours from ever seeing the light of day. It's easy to make us "love" american media when it's the only thing on the menu at the cinema and nobody has any loving idea where to see something locally made.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Randler posted:

jesus loving christ, what else is the point of having free speech.

And you can't abuse freedom of speech.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

HorseLord posted:

It sells so well because in many cases you own the media and either flood it with your own to dilute ours, or straight up block any of ours from ever seeing the light of day. It's easy to make us "love" american media when it's the only thing on the menu at the cinema and nobody has any loving idea where to see something locally made.

The foreign media owners and bankers have conspired to buy up our newspapers, television and movies in order to dilute our own pure European stock. They strangle our culture in the crib to replace it with their taint.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

The foreign media owners and bankers have conspired to buy up our newspapers, television and movies in order to dilute our own pure European stock. They strangle our culture in the crib to replace it with their taint.

:911:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Randler posted:

It's the very first you should die on. Criticizing others isn't evil.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

computer parts posted:

The Danish paper where the other cartoon was posted was legitimately as racist as you can be and people assumed the same situation here.
Not saying it's not racist, but it could be way more racist. It's a typical center-right newspaper, with all that implies, where the editors just happened to decide that "fighting for free-speech" would be a great way to raise their profile. And of course the whole affair only really blew up due to miscommunication between the Danish Imams and foreign Muslims, whether deliberate or not, which made the whole situation seem much worse than it actually was. (Such as the belief that a picture from a French pig festival was taken from the newspaper, and that our prime minister owned/controlled the newspaper in question.)

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Randler posted:

What... What's the point of freedom of speech if you can't criticize others with it? :psyduck:

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Actually, it's kinda true.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Randler posted:

I know that you're upset because they drew a cartoon of your prophet:

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

HorseLord posted:

Actually while 99% of American culture is, in fact, garbage, that applies to everywhere. Also US cultural output is so overwhelmingly massive that the 1% of awesome diamonds in the trash heap have more volume than the everything your average small country produces.

Besides, people love homegrown terrible crap too. Americans did not invent Big Brother, Farmer Wants a Wife or Fifty Shades of Grey, but I presume you'll blame the existence of awful European culture on Americanization because that's a great way to make a completely unfalsifiable claim.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Guildencrantz posted:

Actually while 99% of American culture is, in fact, garbage, that applies to everywhere. Also US cultural output is so overwhelmingly massive that the 1% of awesome diamonds in the trash heap have more volume than the everything your average small country produces.

Besides, people love homegrown terrible crap too. Americans did not invent Big Brother, Farmer Wants a Wife or Fifty Shades of Grey, but I presume you'll blame the existence of awful European culture on Americanization because that's a great way to make a completely unfalsifiable claim.

If America was not responsible for reality TV (and arguably, Australia is - Sylvania Waters) then it is responsible for the prevailing socioeconomic conditions which led to it (ie. it's cheaper to import American poo poo than to create your own content, leading to the industry downsizing and arts funding being cut by governments, leading to networks and production companies needing to create content cheaply to sell advertising space, resulting in reality TV).

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I wish the french muslims would organize a massive demonstration against the jihadis. Not to appease the mouthbreathers that are constantly demanding muslims publicly denounce every incident of terrorism or otherwise be put in the same sack but as a show to the jihadis that they don't represent anyone but themselves and that they are pariahs in their own communities.
These people think of themselves as champions of all muslims, this would be would be a powerful "gently caress you" to them much like the anti-PEGIDA rallies are an essential counter to fascists.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Randler posted:

Freedom of speech cannot be abused you unbelievable cretin.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

MeLKoR posted:

I wish the french muslims would organize a massive demonstration against the jihadis. Not to appease the mouthbreathers that are constantly demanding muslims publicly denounce every incident of terrorism or otherwise be put in the same sack but as a show to the jihadis that they don't represent anyone but themselves and that they are pariahs in their own communities.
These people think of themselves as champions of all muslims, this would be would be a powerful "gently caress you" to them much like the anti-PEGIDA rallies are an essential counter to fascists.

Yeah like they should stand up to them like that police man that got shot.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

drilldo squirt posted:

Yeah like they should stand up to them like that police man that got shot.

Do you have like a reading impairment or something? I don't want to poo poo on you but your posts in this thread make me think that maybe there is some information leak between the photons entering your retina and the chemical signals reaching your cortex.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

MeLKoR posted:

I don't think Al Qaeda and Daesh and their supporters do think of themselves as champions of all Muslims. If they did, they wouldn't kill so many Muslims.

edit: To be more precise, anyone who would protest them is clearly not a "real" Muslim, so it wouldn't make any difference.

Florida Betty fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 9, 2015

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Florida Betty posted:

I don't think Al Qaeda and Daesh and their supporters do think of themselves as champions of all Muslims. If they did, they wouldn't kill so many Muslims.
Of course they don't care about muslims, they want to be the rulers of the muslim world and to get that precious Caliph title it's other muslims they'll have to kill in droves, not westerners. But that is how they portray themselves in their recruitment efforts and if the community ostracized them it might cut down on the appeal to any impressionable young guys because it would shatter the facade that if they join the extremists they'll be the saviors of muslims everywhere.

quote:

edit: To be more precise, anyone who would protest them is clearly not a "real" Muslim, so it wouldn't make any difference.
I don't know man, you can't just dismiss your own people telling you you're a piece of poo poo and maintain the illusion that you're the savior of your people. Whenever our fascists raise their head and organize a demonstration they're invariably met with 100X the number of counter-protesters and the police has to come and protect their sorry rear end, it's quite effective at making them shut the gently caress up for a few years.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 9, 2015

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Freedom of speech cannot be abused you unbelievable cretin.

Do you prefer the talks of the golden dawn or of the front national?

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Actually, people should just say things I agree with. like this status if you agree

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

If America was not responsible for reality TV (and arguably, Australia is - Sylvania Waters) then it is responsible for the prevailing socioeconomic conditions which led to it (ie. it's cheaper to import American poo poo than to create your own content, leading to the industry downsizing and arts funding being cut by governments, leading to networks and production companies needing to create content cheaply to sell advertising space, resulting in reality TV).

This doesn't make much sense. Neither does this whole America vs Europe derail.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Torrannor posted:

What kind of stuff? Television shows, films, music etc.? McDonalds, Ford, mortgage backed securities?

Also, by this metric you would have to acknowledge that football is better than any American sport, like handegg, baseball and basketball.

Uh yeah everyone knows gridiron football is garbage but that's hardly ever been in question.

Sorry that your feeble cultures are unable to compete though. Clearly someone's got the true will to power here and it ain't you.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Torrannor posted:

Basketball is actually becoming extremely popular as of late because it's more suited to urban environments and you need about as much equipment (even though that's technically a :canada: sport).

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
america doesnt exist

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Uh yeah everyone knows gridiron football is garbage but that's hardly ever been in question.

Sorry that your feeble cultures are unable to compete though. Clearly someone's got the true will to power here and it ain't you.

America is the worlds largest economy and third most populous country and is able to reap the benefits from the domination of the English language globally as a result of the supremacy of the British empire in the nineteenth century and itself in the twentieth. Its cultural domination has nothing to do with some kind of objective superiority of American Music, Sport, Movies and TV.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

khwarezm posted:

America is the worlds largest economy and third most populous country and is able to reap the benefits from the domination of the English language globally as a result of the supremacy of the British empire in the nineteenth century and itself in the twentieth. Its cultural domination has nothing to do with some kind of objective superiority of American Music, Sport, Movies and TV.

Actually it does, clearly if you people whining about your cultures being destroyed by outsiders didn't like it, you wouldn't watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Actually it does, clearly if you people whining about your cultures being destroyed by outsiders didn't like it, you wouldn't watch it.

'You people'
Question, have you ever watched or listened or played or eaten anything that originates from outside of America? Also if you actually lived in France or Britain or India or China or Japan or wherever you'd find that the local cultural products are actually pretty popular alongside American imports.

• Locked thread