Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

various cheeses posted:

Mine sleeps all day while I'm at work, then sleeps all day when I get home so I'd say pretty well.

Same. And he can hold his bladder for 15 hours (not that I ever ask him to).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

At first I felt guilty leaving mine at home while I was at work, but I set up a web cam to see what she did while we were away, and saw that she just slept all day. I'm sure she'd prefer to be on the couch, but the crate is pretty comfortable too.

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED
Its great to see such support after the local dog shelter told me "If you will leave the dog alone for more than 4 hours you are not capable of caring for a dog"

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

If you break line of sight with your dog it will despawn and you'll have to start the adoption process from scratch.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

DerVerrater posted:

Its great to see such support after the local dog shelter told me "If you will leave the dog alone for more than 4 hours you are not capable of caring for a dog"

Yeah some rescue places are awful and will make you feel like an unrepentant bastard for working full time (whilst also making GBS threads on the people who DO give up their dogs when they get a full time job). With some you just can't drat well win.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

slap me silly posted:

Same. And he can hold his bladder for 15 hours (not that I ever ask him to).

Mine has a couple times by accident because she's a wuss about the cold and hate when her butt touches snow. We'll let her out, but if we don't watch her, sometimes she'll pretend to go, and just comes back in real quick. Then she just pees on the carpet if we don't immediately let her out in the morning.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

gninjagnome posted:

Mine has a couple times by accident because she's a wuss about the cold and hate when her butt touches snow. We'll let her out, but if we don't watch her, sometimes she'll pretend to go, and just comes back in real quick. Then she just pees on the carpet if we don't immediately let her out in the morning.

Hahaha last year when we had that snowstorm, mine refused to poo in the snow (probably having never seen it before). She ended up making GBS threads while walking in the middle of the street where it was plowed, like some kind of Jackass video.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

DerVerrater posted:

Yeah. Those people are just plain wrong. It's really up to the temperament of the dog.

if you have a really active breed, like a husky, leaving them for a whole workday is probably not the best plan. But dogs are adaptable and want to please you. If you provide them with enough structure, and enough exercise, leaving them for a work day is certainly fine. The main issue is crating. No, don't crate a dog for 4 hours. Let them have the comfort of a dog proof room, at least.

But greys? Most greys are super couch potatoes. Even then, they can vary in temperament. A very active grey will get in trouble if bored - counter surfing and other fun stuff.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ascendance posted:

No, don't crate a dog for 4 hours.

This will blow your mind, but there is not a hard and fast rule about how long a greyhound can be in a crate, either!

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

slap me silly posted:

This will blow your mind, but there is not a hard and fast rule about how long a greyhound can be in a crate, either!

Not quite true.

If you put a greyhound in a crate for at least two hours and give them a thunder stone or moon stone they will evolve into Final Dog.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

slap me silly posted:

Yeah. My dog was like gently caress this thing after 2 weeks and no accidents. I know lots of hound owners who say their dog loves the crate.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Tree Goat posted:

Not quite true.

If you put a greyhound in a crate for at least two hours and give them a thunder stone or moon stone they will evolve into Final Dog.
Someone Photoshop this.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ascendance posted:

Yeah. My dog was like gently caress this thing after 2 weeks and no accidents. I know lots of hound owners who say their dog loves the crate.

Mine goes in at practically a full gallop in the morning because it often gets him a cookie. Other times he just wanders in there on his own and hangs out for a few hours. Only time he won't go in is when he has to pee.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Who here has a male greyhound and how often does he piss on his own feet?

It's pretty hilarious.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Too loving often.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Fraction posted:

Yeah some rescue places are awful and will make you feel like an unrepentant bastard for working full time (whilst also making GBS threads on the people who DO give up their dogs when they get a full time job). With some you just can't drat well win.

On this topic, I've been thinking about getting a greyhound sometime in the future (because of this thread, I might add), and I was looking into rescue organizations in the area I will most likely be living. One of the places has an application that I looked at and it has a section, "Please check the box next to all the reasons you feel are acceptable for giving up a dog." It has a bunch of frivolous stuff, but a couple of them are "Biting" and "Too rough with children." If my dog bites me I'm going to give him training and maybe consult a professional if necessary. But I happen to think that if my dog decides to ragdoll my toddler, I'm not going to tell the toddler to just tough it out. I'm going to get rid of the dog in a case like that (and not by dumping it on the side of the road, I'd find an owner maybe without snack-sized children in their life). And it would hurt me real bad to do it, but there's just no choice there for me.

But there's no space for me to put down my specific hypothetical case on this form, it's just a bunch of checkboxes. So, this is a trap, right? The only correct answer in the eyes of the rescue organization is going to be 100% blank checkboxes, there is no justifiable reason to ever give up a dog, right?

That aside, this thread has been great and I'm honestly really looking forward to having my life settle back down so I can see about getting one of these really endearing animals.

Edit: I should probably mention that I don't actually have kids. The toddler thing was a pure hypothetical.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 9, 2015

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
I hate to blame the victim, but dogs generally don't up and attack toddlers unprovoked.

There's a poo poo ton of resources out there on how to safely introduce a toddler or a small child to a dog. And the general rule is... Keep them separate if you can't observe them. Pet gates, baby gates, etc.

So yes, the correct answer is no. Because dogs that bite or are rough with children are the result of insufficient training or monitoring. Or possibly serious abuse. And no decent dog rescue or adoption org will let you take an aggressive dog without being absolutely certain you are an experienced owner which can deal with that.

As a dog owner, don't be afraid to tell kids to keep away from your dog. And to keep your dog away from kids.

Got to teach kids not to touch dogs without permission, and always approach from the side.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

slap me silly posted:

Mine goes in at practically a full gallop in the morning because it often gets him a cookie. Other times he just wanders in there on his own and hangs out for a few hours. Only time he won't go in is when he has to pee.
Lol, I'd throw a treat in, and half the time she'd ignore it.

When we first got her, she needed her crate at night. Otherwise, we'd get woken up at odd hours. But pretty soon, she was fine without it. We basically stopped crating her once she got her stitches out and we could start safely using a baby gate to confine her.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I need some advice about Abby. I keep her in the bedroom while I'm at work, because she has shown (many times) that if she has any more space than that, she will eventually pee on the carpet. However I use a folding table to keep her in there, and she has been chewing on it (enough to the point where it has a hole in it, though that's after a couple years). Also she tends to get whiny and barky in late afternoon. Anything I can do? She never relieves herself in the bedroom, but I'm worried that she is chewing on things as it's a sign of anxiety from what I know. I give her a pb kong when I leave which she's always a big fan of, and leave some music on.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Here's Adam the serial foot pisser-onner at Boston Common earlier today

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

actionjackson posted:

I need some advice about Abby. I keep her in the bedroom while I'm at work, because she has shown (many times) that if she has any more space than that, she will eventually pee on the carpet. However I use a folding table to keep her in there, and she has been chewing on it (enough to the point where it has a hole in it, though that's after a couple years). Also she tends to get whiny and barky in late afternoon. Anything I can do? She never relieves herself in the bedroom, but I'm worried that she is chewing on things as it's a sign of anxiety from what I know. I give her a pb kong when I leave which she's always a big fan of, and leave some music on.
She's probably whiny in the afternoon because she needs to go pee. Hence the peeing on the rug. Maybe reduce the amount of water she is getting while you are out, and make sure she gets a pee in the morning right before you have to leave.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ascendance posted:

She's probably whiny in the afternoon because she needs to go pee. Hence the peeing on the rug. Maybe reduce the amount of water she is getting while you are out, and make sure she gets a pee in the morning right before you have to leave.

The thing is she never pees when she has to stay in the bedroom, and she doesn't get water when I'm gone. I also take her out in the morning (of course) right before I go to work. I think she just feels too contained. When I first got her anytime she was in the crate she would bark constantly, so I ended up having to get rid of it pretty quick.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Mine whines to pee, but he also whines when he's bored or under-exercised. What about trying to wear her the hell out in the morning and see what happens? Like, a walk and then ten minutes of working on a new trick or something.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

slap me silly posted:

Mine whines to pee, but he also whines when he's bored or under-exercised. What about trying to wear her the hell out in the morning and see what happens? Like, a walk and then ten minutes of working on a new trick or something.

I'll try. It's also extremely cold here right now so cabin fever is a bit of an issue and our time outside is very short due to the temps.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My favorite indoor playtime is using the clicker to get him to interact on things he's scared of (cardboard boxes). It's focused work, and side benefit, he's less scared of them later!

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Hey just piping in to say that Reese almost never goes in the house and one of the times he did, it turned out he had a uti. Is she doing it every day? If so you might want to get her checked at the vet.

The only other time he has peed in the house was when he couldn't hold it because it had been too long (I.e. he didn't want to go out at night because it was raining and so snuck downstairs in the early morning. He doesn't have a problem during the day when we are at work but that is likely because we have a dog walker come mid day. If it doesn't turn out to be medical (uti or bladder infection) any chance of going home during your lunch hour to see if a quick walk will fix it?

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

P.S. This thread needs more dog pics.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Fuzz Feets posted:

My dog, moments before attacking a French magazine..

She did that with the blanket by herself somehow.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

various cheeses posted:

My dog, moments before attacking a French magazine..

She did that with the blanket by herself somehow.

A burqahound!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Fuzz Feets posted:

Hey just piping in to say that Reese almost never goes in the house and one of the times he did, it turned out he had a uti. Is she doing it every day? If so you might want to get her checked at the vet.

The only other time he has peed in the house was when he couldn't hold it because it had been too long (I.e. he didn't want to go out at night because it was raining and so snuck downstairs in the early morning. He doesn't have a problem during the day when we are at work but that is likely because we have a dog walker come mid day. If it doesn't turn out to be medical (uti or bladder infection) any chance of going home during your lunch hour to see if a quick walk will fix it?

She's had a uti before and this is definitely not like that. As I said she won't pee if she's kept in the bedroom. She'll just get really whiny in the late afternoon. On weekends she'll go the same amount of time just fine, no peeing or whining since I'm at home.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Fuzz Feets posted:

There's a story with that last one. Ran into a girl at the dog park with a big brindle male who looked EXACTLY like Rory except 20 pounds bigger. She didn't notice us at first, but eventually she did a double take and was like "Oh my god, I thought that was my dog this whole time!" We talked for like an hour and joked that they were probably long lost siblings or something. Turns out they actually are cousins! They share a grandsire!

We both tried to get pics of them standing next to each other, but this was the best one between the two of us. Rory is in the foreground, that's the male, Cass in the very back, and then the two pits are dog park regulars who had to get in on it.:3:

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

I love the one with the kitty in it too! Do they hang out together a lot?

Almost every picture I take of him is in or on a bed.... I'm sensing a theme.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Fuzz Feets posted:

I love the one with the kitty in it too! Do they hang out together a lot?

Sadly, no. All three of them (the grey and the two cats) pretend each other don't exist 99% of the time, except in our bed like this.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

So basically it's like owning three cats, except one won't pee in a box.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

various cheeses posted:

So basically it's like owning three cats, except one won't pee in a box.
I often tell people I have 2 cats - just that one is 70lbs and poops in the backyard.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

There are times when they almost play together. Rocky, the grey cat, especially likes to sit on the coffee table and smack Rory's rear end as she walks by in a playful way, and then rub his face on things when she turns around. There's usually a few moments of bowing and tail wagging and then it peters out because they don't understand each other's body language.

Old topic, but RE: Crates

I almost always crate Rory when we're gone, and she's good for a full work day like this. I personally feel better knowing she's crated because of the cats, and because she's big enough that she can easily set off the security system if given free roam. Occasionally, if I'm running up to the store or doing something else where I won't be gone long, I've left her out of the crate, but she always seems more anxious than if she's crated. In fact, she knows the routine so well that as soon as she comes inside from pooping in the morning she goes straight to her crate without being asked.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
We tried to crate Jake when we first got him. We got the biggest crate that Petco carries and he still couldn't quite stand all the way up in it. He's a few inches taller than most greyhounds. The first week it was ok, he would chase a treat into the crate and eventually lay down. After a while he started resisting more and more, eventually getting to the point where we had to physically force him in and he really disliked it. Out of curiosity I set up a remote camera to watch his reaction when we left him a lone in the crate. He cried, whimpered, barked, etc for a long time. It was so pathetic. We decided to just try locking him in the bedroom. This of course led to accidents on the carpet so that didn't work. We gave him free roam of the house so his accidents were at least on tile instead of carpet, and he seemed a lot more at ease with us leaving for work like this. I was able to come home at lunch each day so the gaps between outings were never more than 4 hours. Shortly after he decided that the dog door was actually not going to murder him and that he could use it to go outside. Magically he stopped having accidents, it's really great. It is a little sketchy leaving a huge dog door open all of the time, as a human could fit through it, but it's worked out so far, and our backyard is fairly secure, at least for him.

We also pushed him into the pool a couple of times just to make sure he wouldn't sink the bottom like some giant idiot. He freaks out about it but on both attempts he immediately got to the side and climbed out successfully. This method was actually recommended to us by our greyhound adoption people. So we don't have to worry about him accidentally falling in when we are not home. Now we are huge pushovers and this dog gets on all of the furniture including our bed. But he seems very happy now to have his roam of the place.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

We also pushed him into the pool a couple of times just to make sure he wouldn't sink the bottom like some giant idiot. He freaks out about it but on both attempts he immediately got to the side and climbed out successfully. This method was actually recommended to us by our greyhound adoption people. So we don't have to worry about him accidentally falling in when we are not home. Now we are huge pushovers and this dog gets on all of the furniture including our bed. But he seems very happy now to have his roam of the place.
You have a pool which still has water in it. I hate you.

It is -30 here with windchill. My girl just gave me long searching looks until I took her out for her 10pm walk. It was... Not fun. But shes toughened up and is not intimidated by the cold anymore.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Here's Adam wishing murder upon the world this morning in Stowe, VT when it was 1 degree F out. At least it was sunny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Any of you know how to deal with a dog that terrified of everything?
At first I wasn't too worried about it, because Wren is so new to everything, like she won't approach the large staircase downstairs, and won't jump into the backseat of a car, but it's become a problem since the other night. I don't know if she slipped on the rug or what, but she's now terrified to go through the kitchen to go outside, and I haven't been able to coax her to the door with treats or toys or anything, she just stares at me and pants, which is what she tends to to do when nervous, and then she'll just go in her bed and whine, and wag her tail if i ask her if she wants to go out, but she won't budge. I ended up having to pick her up and put her in the kitchen to show her it was alright, just so she'd finally eat and go outside to go to the bathroom, but I fear that might've stress her out more (though she was fine outside, running around and wagging her tail, just when it came time to go inside...), and I don't know what to do, she's far more stubborn than any other dog I've ever had.