Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Pohl posted:

What an idiot. Look at that image. How hard would it be to remove that hand and replace it with a penis?
Don't these guys ever learn?

A black fist or a fist-shaped dildo would be funny too. Or reaching for butt/boobs.

The dick possibilities are endless!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

They can't afford to risk the bleaghh people vote.

I don't know, this time they won't have the option of voting for the anti-war government ni- uh.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pohl posted:

What an idiot. Look at that image. How hard would it be to remove that hand and replace it with a penis?
Don't these guys ever learn?

I was thinking more along the lines of the Reicht to Rise. :godwinning:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Looks to me like a zombie rising from the grave (much like the Bush dynasty).

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Evil Fluffy posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of the Reicht to Rise. :godwinning:

You know who else asked people to raise their hands all the time..... :godwin:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Apparently every possible combination of "America" and "Values" has been used.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Speaking of Republican subtext, is the Ames straw poll the place where politicians go to deepthroat sausages in scarring photos?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Americans for America
Americans for New Leadership in America Super PAC
Hilary Shmilary PAC
Hitch a Wang Bang Noodle 911 Night Long
I'm a Good Dog PAC
Slam Dunks, Fireworks & Eagles
Softer Voices
The Edvengers
The Empire Strikes PAC
Trucks for Cowboys
Tu PAC
Vote for the Other Guy

All real PACs.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ufarn posted:

Speaking of Republican subtext, is the Ames straw poll the place where politicians go to deepthroat sausages in scarring photos?

Sort of. The corndog eating is at the Iowa State Fair. The Ames Straw Poll happens at the same time, but has been hosted by the University of Iowa, rather than happening on the fairgrounds.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Slam Dunks, Fireworks & Eagles doesn't appear to have any massive donors. :smith:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's the breakdown of the House Keystone vote.

GOP: Yea-238 // Nay-0 // Pres-1
DEM: Yea-28 // Nay-153
TOTAL: Yea-266 // Nay-153 // Pres-1

153 is enough to sustain a veto.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So what are the positives of Keystone, anyways? Two dozen permanent jobs?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Radbot posted:

Keystone is largely symbolic of which direction you want US energy policy to go, the actual practicality of the pipeline itself is long past consideration.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Radbot posted:

if you're like 3 companies it's a ton of money, so there is that.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Radbot posted:

At least that many.

Oh you mean, besides K Street.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

zoux posted:

Keystone is largely symbolic of which direction you want US energy policy to go, the actual practicality of the pipeline itself is long past consideration.

I don't even understand that part, it's not like it's going to lower gas prices or make energy cheaper or anything.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Radbot posted:

I don't even understand that part, it's not like it's going to lower gas prices or make energy cheaper or anything.

Yes, hence why it's symbolic.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Radbot posted:

Do you own a refinery or shipping operation in the gulf coast?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Radbot posted:

So what are the positives of Keystone, anyways?

The same as the hundreds to thousands of other existing pipelines.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Nintendo Kid posted:

The same as the hundreds to thousands of other existing pipelines.

Man I hated World 7 as a kid.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Radbot posted:

Pretty much "Save a buck or two, Bitterman!" for oil companies.

A little less strain on resources because less fuel used to transport oil.

Any positive environmental impact gained from less fuel used to transport oil is negated by the increased threat of environmental catastrophe.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Hey, in the Boehner fracas I didn't see anything about it - did the GOP do that "we will all read 2 lines from the Constitution" bit of theatrical pandering this time, or was that dropped now that they are trying to distance themselves from the tea party?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Doctor Butts posted:

Pretty much "Save a buck or two, Bitterman!" for oil companies.

A little less strain on resources because less fuel used to transport oil.

Any positive environmental impact gained from less fuel used to transport oil is negated by the increased threat of environmental catastrophe.

Compared to oil truck/train catastrophe?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fried Chicken posted:

Hey, in the Boehner fracas I didn't see anything about it - did the GOP do that "we will all read 2 lines from the Constitution" bit of theatrical pandering this time, or was that dropped now that they are trying to distance themselves from the tea party?

They did that this morning.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Doctor Butts posted:

People keep saying this, but there rarely seems to be any backing at all to it.

You'd think if the risk was so high, the Oglalla aquifer would already be full of oil, considering all the existing pipeline crossings.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DemeaninDemon posted:

Compared to oil truck/train catastrophe?

Oil on the ground is much more readily cleaned up than oil leaking out of a buried pipe. Didn't the DoT also mandate adoption of improved tanker cars or did that get shot down by the usual fucks?

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

On the topic of Jeb, would it be possible that Jeb is just not Bushy enough?

I mean, I can see him being used to sway the Hispanic vote, but he really doesn't strike me as his father. Also, if Jeb were to be elected, would it be possible he'd be more moderate than Dubya? Or at least not having Dick Cheney whispering in her ear. If he was more moderate, wouldn't we just have more of the same as we have been for the past 6 years minus Obamacare and DADT.

I mean, by everyone's talk, Hilary is already bound to be more moderate instead of liberal anyway.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FAUXTON posted:

Oil on the ground is much more readily cleaned up than oil leaking out of a buried pipe. Didn't the DoT also mandate adoption of improved tanker cars or did that get shot down by the usual fucks?

The pipe isn't buried.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

FAUXTON posted:

Ohhhh right they'd probably be exempt from SPCC-like considerations.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

FAUXTON posted:

Stultus Maximus posted:

The pipe isn't buried.

Not to mention that due to FERC regulations, the SLA on responses to leaks in the pipe is ~5 minutes for crude oil.

You might like to think that oil companies don't really give a poo poo about leaks or the environment, and you'd be right on the latter, but that is essentially their money leaking out of the pipe - both in the current amount leaking and the loss of pressure and ability to transport due to the leak (especially since depending on the size of the leak, it could cause a section of the pipe to shut down and redirecting flow is a bitch).

Leaks are taken very, very seriously. Maybe not because of environmental impact like you'd hope, but in the end the result is the same.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FAUXTON posted:

The improved tanker cars aren't a panacea, as well as:

Stultus Maximus posted:

The pipe isn't buried.

Although a few segments will go through tunnels in mountainous areas if I remember right? But those are pretty far away from any sort of major aquifer.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Stultus Maximus posted:

The pipe isn't buried.

Are you sure?

quote:

http://keystone-xl.com/working-with-landowners/respecting-the-land/

Restoring the land and its productivity

When pipeline construction is complete, we work closely with environmental experts and landowners to restore their land back to its original state and productivity level. We monitor environmental reclamation for years following construction, and our job isn’t done until landowners and regulatory agencies are satisfied.

We preserve topsoil and replant with the most appropriate native grass and plant species to promote rapid reclamation and erosion prevention.

- See more at: http://keystone-xl.com/working-with-landowners/respecting-the-land/#sthash.lN4cK2DC.dpuf

That sounds like they bury it to me.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Stultus Maximus posted:

The pipe isn't buried.

http://keystone-xl.com/about/environmental-responsibility/

Or perhaps you heard wrong.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Nintendo Kid posted:

The improved tanker cars aren't a panacea, as well as:

Although a few segments will go through tunnels in mountainous areas if I remember right? But those are pretty far away from any sort of major aquifer.

Oh above ground makes secondary containment easy peasy.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Trabisnikof posted:

Americans for America
Americans for New Leadership in America Super PAC
Hilary Shmilary PAC
Hitch a Wang Bang Noodle 911 Night Long
I'm a Good Dog PAC
Slam Dunks, Fireworks & Eagles
Softer Voices
The Edvengers
The Empire Strikes PAC
Trucks for Cowboys
Tu PAC
Vote for the Other Guy

All real PACs.

Quick someone make a All real PACs PAC.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
And we've hit a new low

I'll defer to Paul Waldman of The American Prospect for the scum sucking reality of Huckabee hocking fake cures like this

quote:

Right now there’s a devout couple in their 80s who just found out that their 55-year-old daughter has cervical cancer. They’re terrified. They’d do anything to help her. And then they get an email from that nice Mike Huckabee, pointing them toward a miracle cure for cancer hidden right there in the Bible. It must be legit, because Mike Huckabee wouldn’t rope them into a scam. So they head right over to the web site, watch the video about the “Matthew 4 protocol” and the “frankincense extract,” then they send away for the free bonus gift of “The Bible’s Healing Code Revealed” which comes with a one-year subscription to Dr. Mark Stengler’s Health Revelations—half price if you’re a senior citizen!—and they whip out that credit card and start ordering all the supplements they can. They tell their daughter, with pain and fear in their voices, that this is what can cure her if only she’ll believe and they keep buying.

These are the people—gullible, afraid, at the most desperate point of their lives—that Mike Huckabee sees as marks just waiting to be scammed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

And we've hit a new low

I'll defer to Paul Waldman of The American Prospect for the scum sucking reality of Huckabee hocking fake cures like this

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Matthew 4 Cancer PAC.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

And we've hit a new low

It's only natural that cash for gold scams gravitate towards snake oil.

Bonus points for it being a cancer we can vaccinate against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

And we've hit a new low

"I have this wonderful bridge I'd like to sell you!"

• Locked thread