Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Is that really an alt art Ugin promo? Gimme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Cloudform is super good for U-devotion strategies...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Is that really an alt art Ugin promo? Gimme.

English images:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

homerlaw posted:

That seems... really good.
Yeah this is gonna be real nice with whip. Why yes I would like to dump all of my fat and spare lands to get more gas, thank you!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I thought Wizards didn't want to make splashable non-restricted counters. I have a feeling this is going to see play in any mid-range or later deck running blue.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Yawgmoth posted:

Yeah this is gonna be real nice with whip. Why yes I would like to dump all of my fat and spare lands to get more gas, thank you!

I don't think self milling is very good even in Whip decks when the net result is card disadvantage. You're also replacing things you know to be in your hand with mystery cards from your library, which is likely bad unless you intentionally keep unplayable hands.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 9, 2015

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

English images:

Yikes. I wonder how rare its gonna be.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

AlternateNu posted:

I thought Wizards didn't want to make splashable non-restricted counters. I have a feeling this is going to see play in any mid-range or later deck running blue.

It is restricted, by the size of your graveyard though? :confused:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I will say that I'm rather disappointed at the lack of Edict effects. We still have a wedge-locked rare as the sole available option to answer a U/W Heroic deck that's going off. I'm not saying you need to reprint Diabolic Edict or anything, but Devour Flesh would be a very good answer to that.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't think self milling is very good even in Whip decks when the net result is card disadvantage. You're also replacing things you know to be in your hand with mystery cards from your library, which is likely bad unless you intentionally keep unplayable hands.
Mid game when I'm holding a couple lands I've drawn that I don't need and/or some hornet queens I can't cast and/or extra legendary creatures, it will be nice to draw into that and dump my 5 cards I would like to pitch for 4 cards I can use (or burn through 4 cards I can't). I'm not saying it's a huge bomb, but it will likely be a 1-of or 2-of.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

AlternateNu posted:

Cloudform is super good for U-devotion strategies...

Needs a 2 drop that isn't mindreaver though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Angry Grimace posted:

There's another goofy mini-game you can play to get a special Ugin pack with alternate art cards.

(Note: the little minigame on the card is not actually necessary and they are generally supposed to give you the Ugin's Fate pack regardless of what you do.)

Wait so the pack includes the regular Ugin planeswalker card? This isn't like the M15 prerelease oversized Garruk thing? Whoa

Edit: OHHH so you don't get all the cards, it's a tiny random booster-- 1 land, 1 token, and 2 cards from that pool. Yeah, I'm curious as to how well they preserved the regular rarities in there

edit edit: and of course I work until 2AM on Friday and then work on Saturday and Sunday afternoon, god drat it. I really like playing sealed, too

goferchan fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 9, 2015

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

That promo Ugin gonna be expensive as hell.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

AlternateNu posted:

Not really, it's a pretty awful counterspell. Disdainful Stroke is better, and anything Stroke can't hit is cheap enough to not be countered by this anyways.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Unrestricted as in it can target any spell.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

goferchan posted:

Wait so the pack includes the regular Ugin planeswalker card? This isn't like the M15 prerelease oversized Garruk thing? Whoa

Edit: OHHH so you don't get all the cards, it's a tiny random booster-- 1 land, 1 token, and 2 cards from that pool. Yeah, I'm curious as to how well they preserved the regular rarities in there

edit edit: and of course I work until 2AM on Friday and then work on Saturday and Sunday afternoon, god drat it. I really like playing sealed, too

Sealed is a mixed bag for me - its dramatically less skill-testing than Draft (and I have no skill at drafting), but its also just pack wars. Open a Sarkhan or a Sorin and you're blowing people the gently caress out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AlternateNu posted:

Disdainful Stroke is better.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

I will say that I'm rather disappointed at the lack of Edict effects. We still have a wedge-locked rare as the sole available option to answer a U/W Heroic deck that's going off. I'm not saying you need to reprint Diabolic Edict or anything, but Devour Flesh would be a very good answer to that.

Merciless Executioner is a lovely edict, but they did print it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

qbert posted:

Merciless Executioner is a lovely edict, but they did print it.

Actually not as bad given that you can sacrifice Merciless Executioner to itself.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 9, 2015

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

Actually not as bad given that you can sacrifice Merciless Executioner to itself.

Yeah that still makes it a 3 mana Sorcery speed Edict, which is still awful, but whatevs.

Edit: Being a functional reprint of Fleshbag probably means it was intended for EDH.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's fine. Cancel at 2U wouldn't break anything and this is way worse than Cancel.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

qbert posted:

Yeah that still makes it a 3 mana Sorcery speed Edict, which is still awful, but whatevs.

True, but the U/W Heroic list runs Negate, but not Dissolve. I'm not saying it will make deck lists, but it could be a corner case if U/W Heroic was running rampant.

Also, I hate reposting anything from reddit, but this is funny:

(Note: the judge failed to notice they don't get "sacrificed," they just go to the graveyard as a state based effect)

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 9, 2015

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Angry Grimace posted:

Sealed is a mixed bag for me - its dramatically less skill-testing than Draft (and I have no skill at drafting), but its also just pack wars. Open a Sarkhan or a Sorin and you're blowing people the gently caress out.

I'm not a particularly good player and my work schedule (and the fact that none of my friends play) means I don't get a ton of practice, so I'm like the perfect target audience for prereleases/sealed play-- really bums me out when I miss them. I'm almost tempted to research getting into modern solely because both of the shops around here hold their modern nights on Mondays and that's like my only guaranteed day off, Friday Night Magic sounds nice but isn't very service industry friendly. Then again, Modern doesn't sound very inexperienced player friendly, so there you go

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

In response, sac Tormod's Crypt . :getin:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Angry Grimace posted:

Sealed is a mixed bag for me - its dramatically less skill-testing than Draft

Is that really fair? There's more variance and unfair games in sealed, but making the best deck out of a mediocore/bad pool is probably no easier than the average draft, even if they test quite different skills. I think often the decisions are harder in sealed because you have so many more options - midway through a draft you're usually on a fairly well defined track. Draft has it's own complexities, of course, that don't feature at all in sealed.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Angry Grimace posted:

True, but the U/W Heroic list runs Negate, but not Dissolve. I'm not saying it will make deck lists, but it could be a corner case if U/W Heroic was running rampant.

(Note: the judge failed to notice they don't get "sacrificed," they just go to the graveyard as a state based effect)

I'm not expert but aren't they both wrong? Placing stuff in your graveyard as a state-based action isn't the same as "sacrificing" stuff.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Is that really fair? There's more variance and unfair games in sealed, but making the best deck out of a mediocore/bad pool is probably no easier than the average draft, even if they test quite different skills. I think often the decisions are harder in sealed because you have so many more options - midway through a draft you're usually on a fairly well defined track. Draft has it's own complexities, of course, that don't feature at all in sealed.

I was going to post something like this, except much more poorly written.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rinkles posted:

There is a "correct" deck to play in any given pool in Sealed, but there isn't in Draft because your decision making changes on the fly based on what other players pass you and on information you don't have.

theironjef posted:

I'm not expert but aren't they both wrong? Placing stuff in your graveyard as a state-based action isn't the same as "sacrificing" stuff.

Yeah. Judge was presumably making a joke since his response was identical to the guy who shouldn't be answering question, but he probably should have noticed that.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 9, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Or sacrificed is close enough to what actually happens in most instances they didn't give a poo poo? :shrug:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Or sacrificed is close enough to what actually happens in most instances they didn't give a poo poo? :shrug:

If you're going to pretend to be (or actually be) super pedantic, you have to get it right. :colbert:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

TheKingofSprings posted:

There are ways to be immune to sacrificing. I can't think of one that would apply off the top of my head, but there are a few cards that do it. Sigarda and Assault Suit.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I like sealed at prereleases since :yayclod: new cards but it's only good that one time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Angry Grimace posted:

There is a "correct" deck to play in any given pool in Sealed, but there isn't in Draft because your decision making changes on the fly based on what other players pass you and on information you don't have.

They're certainly very different, but I don't see one as dramatically less skill testing. Sealed is definitely easier to learn (just considering the logisitcs) and draft probably takes longer to get decently good at, but both have high skill ceilings.

Elyv posted:

I was going to post something like this, except much more poorly written.

:shobon: thanks

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
What's the spread of packs for Sealed with Fate? 3 Fate, 3 Khans?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

What's the spread of packs for Sealed with Fate? 3 Fate, 3 Khans?

4 Fate Reforged, 1 Khans, 1 Seeded clan booster.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rinkles posted:

I find that draft is a lot easier to get a better deck out of a mediocre pool than in sealed, since in draft if you open 3 poo poo packs you're only taking 6 cards out of it but if you open 6 poo poo packs in sealed you can :vd:, barring a stupid amount of luck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Is that still true if you suck at Draft though?

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 9, 2015

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

Is that still true if you suck at Draft though?
I am in both cases assuming a nominal level of deck building skill, and it's easier to get 1-2 colors in draft and maybe a bit of fixing (and thus have at least a serviceable deck) than it is in limited. I've had so many prereleases where I'm sitting there with a nearly-even 5 color split and no fixing, going "well I guess I can mash these 2 together and then sport of splash this to fill out the deck...?"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

It is kind of funny that all of the Dragons in the Dragon-ruled plane of Tarkir are shittier than the one random dragon from Theros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

theironjef posted:

There are ways to be immune to sacrificing. I can't think of one that would apply off the top of my head, but there are a few cards that do it. Sigarda and Assault Suit.

And there are cards that do things on sacrifice. But both are fringe cases.

• Locked thread