Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Enjoy my quick and dirty translation:

https://www.njuz.net NJUZ SPECIAL Free Copy
Number 02256, year V Thursday, 8th January 2015. Founded 10/10/2010

Extremists in fear of excessive use of humor against them
Terrorists panic in expectation of reprisal from satirical websites

Photo caption: Terrorists still holding out hope they will emerge from this fight as winners.

Terrorist organizations who hailed the attack on the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo in Paris admit they fear reprisal which could ensue from satirical papers and websites around the world.
"The attack on Charlie Hebdo was provoked by the magazine's writing and nobody should get too upset about it", says for Njuz the terrorist who wished to remain anonymous.
"We see that after the event emerged a worldwide anti-terrorist hysteria which could lead to unforeseen consequences to our members and whole organization. Satirical websites have already began attacks on our feelings, and I am afraid that campaign will culminate in the following days. What will happen to all of us if a new caricature of Mohammed or our leader appears I cannot even think about. Satirists are well know for their brutality and frequent use of excessive humor which leaves innumerable victims behind it, frequently affecting young, innocent terrorists" our source says.
Despite justified fear caused by satirists, terrorists are convinced they will emerge from this fight as winners.
"Although the struggle looks hopeless now we will continue our holy war against satirists. Behind their brutality hides ordinary cowardice because all can see that they attack with pen and pencil men armed with just rifles and bombs", the terrorist says resignedly.

Suspects in the journalist killing expect well deserved privileges
The attackers on Charlie Hebdo are hoping they will be greeted by 72 virgins in prison

Photo caption: Suspected terrorists can't wait for the prison virgins

Terrorists Said and Cherif Kouachi, suspected for breaking into the office of the magazine Charlie Hebdo and killing 12 journalists, are ready to hand themselves into French police under condition they are promised that 72 virgins will be waiting for them in prison./
Brothers Kouachi contacted the police which surrounded them in the vicinity of Crépy-en-Valois and demanded guarantees they will receive fair treatment in case of surrender, and be rewarded for their feat.
"Said and Cherif said they could easily have committed suicide and in doing so ensure their virgins, but they have decided for the other variant of their strict rules which decrees that in exceptional cases the virgins don't have to wait for the martyrs in heaven but can do so in prison cells too", said the French police in a short address, without specifying whether they will fulfill the requests of the two terrorists.

BREAKING NJUZ: Organized cell of satirists broke into a terrorist camp and assaulted all present by reading texts!

Photo caption: Well trained satirists performed an lightning quick operation reading of their texts

Organized ten member cell broke into a terrorist camp in the south of Yemen early this morning and assaulted all present by reading their satirical texts and displaying caricatures, Njuz finds out.
Satirists, after the lightning quick operation, blasted out of the camp and drove their car in an unknown direction, the pursuit is ongoing.
In the course of the attack 12 terrorists succumbed psychically, during retreat the masked satirists also attacked several camels which they encountered on the way to their car.
Eyewitnesses say the satirists seemed very well trained and that the whole operation was well organized, and that the attackers called the camp directors and head instructors by name.
"It seems they knew at what time the camp management hold collegium, which is typically attended by the most important terrorists from this part of Yemen, and used that to destroy the core of the camp with exceedingly insidious reading of their blasphemous texts", declared for Njuz a source high up in the investigation.
In south Yemen security measures were elevated to the highest level, special protection was given to schools for training suicide bombers and camps for studying the application of plastic explosive in peacetime.

Terrorist discovered he could also leave a bad comment on the website

Photo caption: Extremist discovered he did not have to kill for his ideals

Twenty-six year old M.O, who after several months in Syria returned to his native Paris last month, discovered today that it is possible to react to the content of some web portal just by leaving negative comments.
In his own admission this has totally changed the way in which he looked at media so far.
"Why has nobody in ISIS' camp told me that when I see a text I don't like and which hurts my feelings I could leave some comment underneath and not immediately kill the authors? This is so genius, whoever thought of it" wonders this terrorist who says he will, instead of a planned attack on the offices of one magazine, now litter their texts with comments like "this is incorrect!", "what idiocy!" and "gently caress you!".

Man committed suicide because he could not bear torture by satirists anymore

Although unwillingly, terrorists admit they may still not have recovered from the last assault of satirists on their organization.
"It is not easy to endure the blows we are dealt, almost daily, by the humor of our enemies. Some activists have abandoned us now that they have seen how overpowering our enemy is in this war, there was even one recorded case of suicide.
Namely, one of our members who was exposed to the torture of satirists and their caricaturists colleagues for an extended period could not carry on and committed suicide. How great was his torment is demonstrated by the way he killed himself, swallowing an excessive amount of pills instead of in a normal way, strapped with explosives in some car or plane", says one shook up terrorist.

DISTURBING: Leaked video of the caricaturists erasing the head on a drawing of a fundamentalist!

Photo caption: WARNING: Disturbing video!

Early this morning a video showing a group of masked caricaturists using a pencil eraser to eras the head on a drawing of an Islamic fundamentalist leaked to Youtube. Before they performed this morbid act the caricaturists read a pronouncement that they sentence the drawing to death by decapitation for all the crimes he committed.
"The scary thing was, they took a Staedtler pencil eraser and started erasing the head without a smidgen of empathy.
What kind of people are these?", ask himself our correspondent who demanded he remain anonymous for fear that the same fate could befall his drawing too.

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

wtf am I reading
Russian Spring. :laugh:

Edit: Holy crap. Check it out, guys.
http://www.isayu.com/ukraine/russian-conspiracy-theory-of-the-day-mainstream-russian-t

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 9, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cat Mattress posted:

wtf am I reading

This is really weird. You'd think Russia would play safe with human rights for a while just to pose as the victim of sanctions over nothing and all, but here you go. What I assume has happened, no one actually read the list of disorders and approved the whole thing that goes in the category F.

E: I mean, disorders like F68 can be legitimately dangerous to have for a driver, but F63-66 obviously can't (unless you consider that trans* people are prone to depressions and suicidal thought due to, well, not being treated well by the society, but it's neither here or there). Ironically, F66.1 is the disorder that causes some gay people to go through different correction therapies in hopes to become straight.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 9, 2015

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Paladinus posted:

This is really weird. You'd think Russia would play safe with human rights for a while just to pose as the victim of sanctions over nothing and all, but here you go.
Ahahahahahaha.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Polish Air Force is on its way to Lithuania to participate in Baltic Air Policing.

http://www.defence24.pl/news_polscy-lotnicy-udaja-sie-na-litwe

Who's face is that on the inside tail fin on that MiG?

Those of famous Polish pilots of world war II. The name is on the other tail fin.

Such as this one:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

A couple of years ago the Russian government banned international adoptions from US couples in response to to some financial sanctions. These people are totally fine with letting thousands of children rot in state orphanages just to get back at the US.

In Russias case, always assume malice first.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

A couple of years ago the Russian government banned international adoptions from US couples in response to to some financial sanctions. These people are totally fine with letting thousands of children rot in state orphanages just to get back at the US.

In Russias case, always assume malice first.

Simplifying way too much there, it takes two to tango/ruin the lives of vulnerable children. Two things were happening:

1) Russian orphanages misrepresenting the family/psychological/health background of the children being adopted
2) More than one case of Americans trying to "return" the children, as if they were a defective pair of flip-flops, and more than one case of kids being severely abused or murdered by their adopted parents.

Of course the Russian government exploited it for domestic political gain, but everyone does that. And honestly, most international adoptions should be banned--there are plenty of perfectly good orphans* in America and you're more likely to get the truth about their background in the US. If you wouldn't buy a Russian car, you shouldn't adopt a Russian kid.

*Orphans may not be white. Many people apparently feel that getting a hosed up white kid is still better than getting a psychologically healthy brown one that already speaks english.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Adam Curtis did a fun miniblurb again this year, Russia is kind of central to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcy8uLjRHPM

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Swedish opinion in favor of joining NATO up to 33 from 28 percent. Against down to 47 (from 56).

http://www.svt.se/nyheter/sverige/okat-stod-for-nato-medlemskap

Small sample size though.

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 9, 2015

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Actually, Rise of the Third Reich's narrative of the Reichstag fire has been disproven by contemporary historians. The current consensus is that van der Lubbe really did set it himself with no outside involvement.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
The Finnish state news published another monthly "In the Net of Russia" column. I've referenced it before and I kind of hesitate to do it again because I find it hard to believe that there isn't some really selective reading involved here but this thread often lacks examples of Russian news outside of Russia Today, so there you go. Keep in mind that the point of the article is to find Internet publications and blogs from Russia concerning Finland specifically but maybe it's useful for getting the feel of... something.

Anyway, the summary:

• Professor Dmitri Travin from the European University of St. Petersburg has noted the warlike language used in the Russian media. Term "aggression" and "attacker" see continuous use for example in connection with sanctions. There is a law proposal soon entering the duma that likens anti-Russian sanctions to military actions. According to the head of Russian foreign intelligence agency, western investment funds have attacked the Russian markets, causing the collapse of the ruble. In other words, there's a war going on already. Travin notes how the government has chosen a policy that reminds of a medieval castle in a state of conflict: concentrated powers in the hands of the lords of the castle, attackers outside and traitors inside. He concludes his article by recognizing that virtual fears cannot be fed indefinately but certainly until the next presidental elections in 2018.
  • Finland is counted among the enemies but is not of the worst kind. The Finnish parliament chose Rosatom when deciding on the builder of the next nuclear reactor. Finland has "elevated the partnership with Russia above political currents" and understood that "the benefits of Russian partnership are bigger than sanctions". Apparently the decision was made despite heavy pressure from the United States.
  • Finnish social workers... This is me prefacing this bullet point but do you know how very common it is that Finns steal Russian kids from their mothers for no reasons but national hatred? According to Russian media it's been like that for years. Anyway, last month a 10-year-old girl was "returned to her mother after a second meeting with the social workers, metting in which a representative of the Russian embassy was present" and a 14-year-old boy was taken into custody because his mother "was too emotional and loved his son too much." Criticism like that (warranted or not) is not unheard of simply because of the thankless job that the social workers do but this time Pavel Astahov, the Russian ombudsman of matters concerning children opened his mouth. According to him, Nordic social worker take Russian kids in custody out of the need to mend the slowly declining birth rates. In the latter case mother's rights were trampled, the boy was fed medicine so that he'd forget his mother and the social workers had bought him a BB gun he had threatened his mother with. For once, his Finnish counterpart was on the ball and throughoutly debunked all the claims. He was naturally completely ignored.
  • Finally the Russian state magazine Rossikaja Gazeta mocked NATO on 9th of December for not shooting at the Russian planes violating the airspace of former Soviet nations. Really. According to the magazine, this proves that reports of Russian planes and subs are just calculated bluffs.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Valiantman posted:

Finnish social workers... This is me prefacing this bullet point but do you know how very common it is that Finns steal Russian kids from their mothers for no reasons but national hatred?
This always gets me. Whenever you read some Russian blogs about life in Greater Scandinavia it's always like this:
  • Finnish social workers like to steal children from Russian mothers "just because".
  • Swedish social workers like to steal children from Russian mothers to refill decadent homosexual families with fresh and good blood.
  • Norwegian social workers like to steal children from Russian mothers to brainwash them and traffic across state-wide pedophile network.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I do kind of understand the sentiment that foreigners are "stealing our children". Honestly I'm puzzled that there seems to be very little controversy about the trend of adoptions from Third world countries in general, which are more often than not a way to exploit economic destitution rather than an attempt to relieve it.

http://rhrealitycheck.org/article/2009/01/08/the-lie-we-love/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I was referencing cases when Russians travel to Greater Scandinavia and then child "gets stolen" from family "under pretense of protecting child from abuse".

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Valiantman posted:

• According to the head of Russian foreign intelligence agency, western investment funds have attacked the Russian markets, causing the collapse of the ruble. In other words, there's a war going on already.
Well of course.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

kalstrams posted:

I was referencing cases when Russians travel to Greater Scandinavia and then child "gets stolen" from family "under pretense of protecting child from abuse".

And in this case "Russian" means someone with a(n originally) Russian parent, if even that. Child protection services doing their work, and the media picks up cases it can spin into that narrative. You can't take custody of child from someone merely vacationing. Taking into custody is for emergencies or for when nothing else works. The workers don't do that kind of decicions on a whim. Plus, it's horribly expensive compared to pretty much anything. The child protection facilities cost a lot of money, something like hundreds of euros a day per child.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 9, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I should've said emigrated instead of travelled. Either way, it's not to me to be told that Scandinavians just take children from families for shits and giggles or whatever dumb child trafficking stories someone came up with for a bottle of vodka.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cuntpunch posted:

Adam Curtis did a fun miniblurb again this year, Russia is kind of central to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcy8uLjRHPM

He is also releasing a new 3-hour documenary on the 25th on the subject, I would imagine that Russia and her amazing propaganda machine are going to be a big feature.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Cuntpunch posted:

The Surkov bit is the continuation of his written piece from 2012, which is one of the most interesting things written about Russian politics/culture by a Westerner.

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=509_1420572234

:nws: but also :wtf:

Am a little confused after watching it. Looks more like something from a David Lynch movie, but I'll try to describe it briefly:

"Farai" is something like the show "Cops". The video is from it. A drunken lady (half naked) was trying to breach a door into a basement and was spouting out some crazy talk about Eastern Europe, US and WWIII. The police showed up with the crew.
No conclusion unfortunately on how everything ended and I'm not able to find any more details about it.

Edit:
Ah it seems I've been beaten by :gb2gbs:

VoltairePunk fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 9, 2015

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Karmalis posted:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=509_1420572234

:nws: but also :wtf:

Am a little confused after watching it. Looks more like something from a David Lynch movie, but I'll try to describe it briefly:

"Farai" is something like the show "Cops". The video is from it. A drunken lady (half naked) was trying to breach a door into a basement and was spouting out some crazy talk about Eastern Europe, US and WWIII. The police showed up with the crew.
No conclusion unfortunately on how everything ended and I'm not able to find any more details about it.

:stare:

Crazy American lady gets drunk in Lithuania. I do wonder though what happened to her to make her behave that way.

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words

Crazy American lady gets drunk in Lithuania. I do wonder though what happened to her to make her behave that way.

Alcohol and/or drugs. I've seen people flip the most rational minds by doing one or both to an almost overkill level.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This has probably been posted before, but here's the Finnish band Leningrad Cowboys performing together with the Red Army choir in '93 at the Senate Square in Helsinki.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHb4Q6hSXEI

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Policeman grabs her wrist
*screams bloody murder* OH MY FACE! MY FACE!
:stonklol:

I'll have whatever she had.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

MeLKoR posted:

Policeman grabs her wrist
*screams bloody murder* OH MY FACE! MY FACE!
:stonklol:
I really like the cop. :allears: "It will be world war III!" "Ok, we do world war III, no problem."

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Karmalis posted:

Alcohol and/or drugs. I've seen people flip the most rational minds by doing one or both to an almost overkill level.

The police officers and the medics were all the picture of calm and patience. You have to be in that line of work though.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

The police officers and the medics were all the picture of calm and patience. You have to be in that line of work though.

They usually are really calm about drunk women. A lady I know got loving shitfaced, broke some windows in railroad station building, and police drove her home, and helped her go up 3 floors while she shouted at them and acted pretty aggressive. She ended up paying for damages only. A dude would get maced and beat up if he resisted arrest.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

People who are irrational (either through emotions, drugs, or mental illness/disability) almost always respond very badly to aggression or attempts to force control. The best way to deal with someone irrational without resorting to physical force is to calmly and carefully negotiate until they want to settle down and surrender.

This is something a disturbing number of American officers fail to understand. They're trained to gain control of the situation, and many of them respond to mentally/emotionally disturbed or drunk people with the same aggressive and antagonistic methods that they would use with a rational person they're attempting to intimidate. All it ends up doing is aggravating them into doing something aggressive, which gives the officer a reason to fire. There's good reason why less than 1/100th of a percent of all American officers are killed by gunfire and less than 1% die from any cause at all during their service, but they kill hundreds or potentially thousands of civilians a year.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Friendly Tumour posted:

This has probably been posted before, but here's the Finnish band Leningrad Cowboys performing together with the Red Army choir in '93 at the Senate Square in Helsinki.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHb4Q6hSXEI

Aand there went my evening. If nothing else, everyone will want to see and hear at least Gimme All Your Lovin', starting at 58:45.

I mean it.

Okay, for your inner slav perhaps Kalinka just before it, too.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A really big new MH17 investigation has been released by Correct!v in conjunction with Spiegel, which includes a lot of on ground investigating in Ukraine. They've spoken to people in Snizhne and have found witnesses to the missile launch, visited the locations geolocated in the Bellingcat report that tracked the movements of the Buk on July 17th and confirmed it was all correct, and done lots of additional work.

The Correct!v report is here in German and English, and Spiegel has an interactive piece in German here.

Few choice quotes

quote:

Bellingcat investigators based their conclusion on an analysis of photographs of the BUK launcher in Russia and later in the Ukraine. The dents and scratches on the launcher are identical—like a fingerprint.
The convoy was part of a unit dispatched by Russia's 53rd Air Defense Brigade which is based in Kursk. At the end of June, the convoy drove to the Ukraine border. CORRECT!V fact checked the Bellingcat results, their finding are convincing.
And there are further peculiarities. A sergeant of the 53rd brigade who is particularly active online posted numerous pictures of his unit on his page on Vkontakte (vk.com), the Russian clone of Facebook. The sergeant’s name is Ivan Krasnoproshin. Among his pictures is a photo of a document reporting his discharge from the Russian army in mid-June. The photo showing a page in his unit’s logbook lists the names of the soldiers reporting for the evening roll call. Number one: Sergeant Krasnoproshin, followed by 13 privates. Every day is crossed off. The last entry is on June 13th. Then there is a hand-written note behind Sergeant Krasnoproshin’s name: “Discharged due to completion of service period according to order no. (illegible).”
Indeed, according to the logbook, Sergeant Krasnoproshin was not the only member of his unit to be suddenly discharged from the Russian military on that day. Three additional soldiers in Sergeant Krasnoproshin’s unit—including Sergeant Krasnoproshin nearly one third of the unit’s members—were discharged on the same day and for the same reason.

Discharges of this type raise questions. The Committee of Russian Soldier Mothers has reported that many soldiers are required to sign discharge papers before they are sent to fight in the Ukraine.
In the middle of June, several days after Krasnoproshin and his comrades were discharged, the long convoy of the 53rd air defense brigade made its way towards Ukraine. Again someone posted a photo in a social network. Again we can see the same BUK launcher 3*2.
There is little doubt: it was the 53rd Russian air defense brigade from Kursk that took position in Snizhne in eastern Ukraine on that fateful afternoon.

quote:

The settlement by the railway embankment consists of flat farm buildings surrounded by fences and walls. Dogs bark. At first there are no people in sight. If someone appears, they immediately go on their way. The people are afraid. “They’ll kill me if I say something,” says one man.
A woman lives with her daughter by the embankment. She was in her house on July 17th 2014. “I heard a loud bang,” she says, then her neighbor called and told her that an airplane had been shot down. “We saw the smoke.” She refuses to answer any further questions.
After long knocks an old man with scrubby white hair under a cap appears and agrees to talk. The man says he was not in the village in July, but that the roof of his house was broken when he returned – as was the case with many others in the village. Everyone here has a clear memory of July 17th 2014. Everyone remembers what they did on that day. Two women and two men come by. A conversation begins.
A women says: “An airplane flew by, well, we don’t know if it was a plane. We heard something, a long sound, then there was a noise.” A zumm sound. A long prolonged swooshing noise. She remembers it well.
Another woman could “see thick smoke” from the factory. “Everyone was alarmed,” she said. Where did the smoke come from? She becomes unsettled. “How should we know what that was? We heard something explode.”
A man suddenly says: “Over there the railroad ties and the grass were burning.” But then one of the women elbows him in the side and he stops talking. A cell phone rings, the people walk away.
Another visit, two days later. It’s early. The streets in the settlement are empty. Dogs bark once again, they pull on chains between metal doors. After long knocks a villager opens his front door. “Are you a spy?” is his first question after a quick introduction. The man fled town in August because of the fighting. But on July 17th 2014 he was here. Any question about this day scares him.
“I remember, but you know I won’t tell you everything about that, I’m afraid it would end badly for me.” The CORRECT!V journalist introduces himself—and shows identification. He says that he is here to learn more. The people in Europe want to know what happened, why so many people had to die here in the Ukraine, shot down in a peaceful airplane.
The man hesitates. Then he starts to talk: “They shot it down. The missile flew from here. We saw it, as it flew.”
He points to the railway embankment. A friend of his had already seen the missile. “He called me and said, 'there’s this amazing thing here with four missiles.'” The friend will also remain unnamed. “He is afraid. These are dangerous times.” But one question still bothers the witness. “They planned everything. I just don’t know why they brought the missile here?”
He continues. “I was in the yard and heard an explosion, a bang. It was a really loud bang. The tiles on my roof shook. The bang came from over there, it was easy to hear. Then there was a long sound. And then a very loud explosion: bang, bang. And just as I ran out into the road, the plane began to fall. Down the road several kilometers from here. Do you understand? And you could see it burn.”
Asked about the loud bang, the witness had an explanation. “It launched from over there,” he said.

When asked whether Russian soldiers or separatists fired the missile, the man laughs. For him the rocket launch could only be executed by Russian soldiers. “Which miner shoots missiles? No, those were specialists. Do you think I go about launching missiles?”
This witness completes the picture: it was a BUK M1 rocket that brought the passenger plane out of the sky – brought into position by soldiers of the 53rd air defense brigade from Kursk who were in the city of Snizhne without national markings to protect Russian tank units.*

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Anosmoman posted:

I really like the cop. :allears: "It will be world war III!" "Ok, we do world war III, no problem."

I like this part:

quote:

Fed many stereotypes about Eastern Europe in the U.S., Allison said the most surprising thing is how helpful and friendly Lithuanians truly are.
http://www.mruni.eu/en/naujienos/detail.php/fulbright-student-scholar-to-conduct-research-teach-english/209626#.VLAkc3vwnV8

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Valiantman posted:

Aand there went my evening. If nothing else, everyone will want to see and hear at least Gimme All Your Lovin', starting at 58:45.

I mean it.

Okay, for your inner slav perhaps Kalinka just before it, too.

Iget a bit sad listening to it. Feels like such a different time now.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm seeing news reports about Yatsenyuk saying something about "Soviet Union's unjust invasion of Germany". Is it Russian media doing their thing again, and it being reported further, or did he seriously say that?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

A really big new MH17 investigation has been released by Correct!v in conjunction with Spiegel, which includes a lot of on ground investigating in Ukraine. They've spoken to people in Snizhne and have found witnesses to the missile launch, visited the locations geolocated in the Bellingcat report that tracked the movements of the Buk on July 17th and confirmed it was all correct, and done lots of additional work.

The Correct!v report is here in German and English, and Spiegel has an interactive piece in German here.

Few choice quotes

Confirmed it's all correct means you're right, of course. Also, Russians were in Ukraine before August. It's accurate to say though the Russians were in Ukraine from the beginning of the conflict.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Smerdyakov posted:

Simplifying way too much there, it takes two to tango/ruin the lives of vulnerable children. Two things were happening:

1) Russian orphanages misrepresenting the family/psychological/health background of the children being adopted
2) More than one case of Americans trying to "return" the children, as if they were a defective pair of flip-flops, and more than one case of kids being severely abused or murdered by their adopted parents.

Of course the Russian government exploited it for domestic political gain, but everyone does that. And honestly, most international adoptions should be banned--there are plenty of perfectly good orphans* in America and you're more likely to get the truth about their background in the US. If you wouldn't buy a Russian car, you shouldn't adopt a Russian kid

*Orphans may not be white. Many people apparently feel that getting a hosed up white kid is still better than getting a psychologically healthy brown one that already speaks english.

quote:

Simplifying way too much there, it takes two to tango/ruin the lives of vulnerable children.

It's actually not a duo, but a triad. And your entire argument for why international adoption should be banned is, ironically, "simplifying way too much there." Domestic adoptions after Russia banned transnational adoptions to the US did not increase. Since those orphans are stigmatized, native societies will often shun them completely. I don't think "everyone" exploits international adoption for political gain. Especially when one of Russia's reasons for the ban was that Russian children going abroad to America suffered from losing "genofund," because being born in Russia means you are genetically different than all those rabid westerners. Therefore, you're depleting all the Russian bodypolitic or whatever insane excuse they devise.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my dad posted:

I'm seeing news reports about Yatsenyuk saying something about "Soviet Union's unjust invasion of Germany". Is it Russian media doing their thing again, and it being reported further, or did he seriously say that?
He said "Russian aggression in Ukraine - it's attack on world order and order in Europe. We all well remember invasion of USSR into Germany and to Ukraine. We must not allow this. No one has rights to rewrite results of World War 2. However this is exactly what Russia's president Putin tries to do" on an interview to German TV channel ARD in Berlin, having been there yesterday to discuss political reforms in Ukraine, financial and economical situation, international support, as well as cooperation in economy, investition and energy sectors. Basically, the reference is to Western Ukraine and Eastern Germany.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Russian special forces stormed a separatist headquarters in Luhansk today.

http://podrobnosti.ua/accidents/2015/01/09/1010526.html

quote:

Russian special forces stormed the headquarters of the terrorists Lugansk

Special Forces of the Russian terrorists stormed the base RRT "Batman" in Lugansk, which is located in the dormitory of the East Ukrainian National University named after Volodymyr Dahl.

About this podrobnosti.ua reported residents of the city.

"We thought the front again moved here, it shoots very close, and that they arranged among themselves," - said a resident of Lugansk Victoria.

The same information is also confirmed by other witnesses.

"At the moment the base" Batman "in Lugansk takes by storm Wagner group which included experts at Russian GRU. On the perimeter dispersed separskie battalions" Dawn "and" Rusich "- wrote a user with the nickname zloy-odessit

According to local on both sides there is a loss.

"Come on already killed on both sides. We can only wait, when the flow rate, as well as" Batman, "Let the other" heroes "New Russia without significant value," - says zloy-odessit.livejournal

Geolocation of Russian camps near the Ukrainian border.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 9, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

my dad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4xoa7_1QcU
I can't hear Yatsenyuk speaking over Russian translation, but it's what the German interpretor says if I understand it correctly.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Russian special forces stormed a separatist headquarters in Luhansk today.

http://podrobnosti.ua/accidents/2015/01/09/1010526.html
Linke to zloy-odessit's livejournal is broken, here's working one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Why do the Russians want to kill that separatist leader?

• Locked thread