Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Bunk Rogers posted:

Upgraded recently and lost the ability to receive pushed Gmail messages. Whats the best way to set Gmail accounts these days? I assume push is out of the option in iOS?

Jailbreak and buy the Cydia app Push for Gmail if you want Gmail pushing in Mail.app.

Or suck it up and get the Gmail app and get used to its interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Bunk Rogers posted:

Upgraded recently and lost the ability to receive pushed Gmail messages. Whats the best way to set Gmail accounts these days? I assume push is out of the option in iOS?

Mailbox does push to gmail and is awesome. You have to change your email habits significantly and in a positive way, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bunk Rogers posted:

Download the Gmail app or Mailbox (or Inbox, I suppose). I like the former since it only sends notifications for emails in the Primary inbox rather than every email I get. (The Updates tab is generally important stuff, but rarely anything I need to see immediately.)

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

tuyop posted:

Mailbox does push to gmail and is awesome. You have to change your email habits significantly and in a positive way, though.

Also, you have to let a third party have access to your Gmail.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah those shady dudes at dropbox. :tinfoil:

The Dave fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 8, 2015

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I like Acompli, now owned by Microsoft. Good looking client, doesn't push inbox zero on you if that's not your thing.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Crosspost. Selling a week old official Apple iPhone 6 Plus case (brown/leather) on SA Mart for $30 shipped. It's an awesome case at a much better price than the $49.99 they ask for retail.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3693068&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post439921325

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

FCKGW posted:

I like Acompli, now owned by Microsoft. Good looking client, doesn't push inbox zero on you if that's not your thing.

I'm assuming they support exchange, then? That's part of the reason I've never jumped to mailbox.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
So I'm having this problem with Snapchat, whenever I open it I get the message "connect to itunes to use push notifications". I close it and it just comes back up again, can't use snapchat at all. I googled and it seems lots of people have this problem, but there's no good solutions out there. I did backup / restore but it didn't help anything, still same problem

I really need snapchat :v:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rick posted:

I'm assuming they support exchange, then? That's part of the reason I've never jumped to mailbox.

Yeah, they do. But just make sure to check with your company policy regarding communication. Acompli caches your credentials and all your email goes through their servers (that's how they offer that sorting feature in your inbox). They may have cleared it up, but when I was looking at it, I had to dig into their privacy policy to find that since I couldn't believe they were doing all that client side.

Don't want to see any goons fired because they've violated corporate policy.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Skilleddk posted:

Why?

I don't understand snapchat because I'm old so please explain it to me.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Snapchat lets you send dick pics to people, but they can only admire it for a few seconds before it disappears forever. Unless they take a screenshot, of course.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Skilleddk posted:

So I'm having this problem with Snapchat, whenever I open it I get the message "connect to itunes to use push notifications". I close it and it just comes back up again, can't use snapchat at all. I googled and it seems lots of people have this problem, but there's no good solutions out there. I did backup / restore but it didn't help anything, still same problem

Did you try connecting to iTunes?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

MrBond posted:

Did you try connecting to iTunes?

well yeah obviously. And yes I need snapchat for (drawn) dick pics

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

tuyop posted:

Why?

I don't understand snapchat because I'm old so please explain it to me.

Instagram is for your cool-looking photos.

Snapchat is for your "lol check this out" photos and videos. No one wants to see an Instagram of a gas station sign at $1.97 with the caption "MIGHT AS WELL GIVE IT AWAY!!!!"

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Snapchat is for your "lol check this out" photos and videos. No one wants to see an Instagram of a gas station sign at $1.97 with the caption "MIGHT AS WELL GIVE IT AWAY!!!!"

No one wants to see that anyway, on Snapchat or Instagram.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'd love to see that on Snapchat. If I got a Snapchat of that right now, I would be at that gas station.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Is applecare transferrable between devices?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ramadu posted:

Only if the new device is a warranty replacement.

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh

Ramadu posted:

No, but you can get a pro-rated refund on the original and buy it on a new device.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to get the serial number of iPhones that you've had replaced in the past?

Like, say you break iPhone FX#### and they replace it with iPhone FY####, can I find the serial number for iPhone FX#### somewhere?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

tuyop posted:

Is there any way to get the serial number of iPhones that you've had replaced in the past?

Like, say you break iPhone FX#### and they replace it with iPhone FY####, can I find the serial number for iPhone FX#### somewhere?

iTunes > Preferences > Devices, hover over the name of the device and the serial number will show up

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

iTunes > Preferences > Devices, hover over the name of the device and the serial number will show up

That's for the current device. I'm looking for the ones I've had replaced. I found it on the receipt from Apple.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

tuyop posted:

That's for the current device. I'm looking for the ones I've had replaced. I found it on the receipt from Apple.

It shows all past devices.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tuyop posted:

If it was done by the Apple store they should have a work order with the serial you brought in and the serial they gave you.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

It shows all past devices.

Oh, cool. Thanks.

FCKGW posted:

If it was done by the Apple store they should have a work order with the serial you brought in and the serial they gave you.

Yeah, this is how I ended up finding it. Now let's see how long a credit card benefit reimbursement takes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

flosofl posted:

Yeah, they do. But just make sure to check with your company policy regarding communication. Acompli caches your credentials and all your email goes through their servers (that's how they offer that sorting feature in your inbox). They may have cleared it up, but when I was looking at it, I had to dig into their privacy policy to find that since I couldn't believe they were doing all that client side.

Don't want to see any goons fired because they've violated corporate policy.

Oh, yeah that would probably be a no-go if they're still doing that, thank you.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Is there a way I can change the setting of my contacts so that when I add a new number 'mobile' is the default instead of 'home'?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm looking for a very specific type of phone mount. I currently use this SCOSCHE mount and while it does everything I want it to do, I realized that I do not like using a case on my phone. I also don't like sticking that magnet like thing onto the back of my phone. Therefore, I'm in search of a mount that has a "sticky" backing, like the SCOSCHE, but doesn't require a magnet. I've had bad experiences with vent mounts (broke off a few vent tabs), so it has to be a sticky backing. Any ideas?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

obi_ant posted:

I'm looking for a very specific type of phone mount. I currently use this SCOSCHE mount and while it does everything I want it to do, I realized that I do not like using a case on my phone. I also don't like sticking that magnet like thing onto the back of my phone. Therefore, I'm in search of a mount that has a "sticky" backing, like the SCOSCHE, but doesn't require a magnet. I've had bad experiences with vent mounts (broke off a few vent tabs), so it has to be a sticky backing. Any ideas?

It should be in the OP.

Pro clips. Best mount there is. You buy 2 pieces; one made for your phone, one fitted to your specific vehicle.

http://www.proclipusa.com/?gclid=CP3epaeIh8MCFeY-MgodFFIARg

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Suqit posted:

It should be in the OP.

Pro clips. Best mount there is. You buy 2 pieces; one made for your phone, one fitted to your specific vehicle.

Absolutely. Worth every single penny.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

My 4S which I bought about 2-3 years ago keeps cutting shutting down at around 20-30% battery life randomly. One time it shut down with 28%. Last night I was looking at it and the battery went from 53% to 0% and then shut down and wouldn't start unless I plugged it in. I plugged it in just enough for it to boot up and it showed 28% charge, then a 37% a minute later when I checked again. Wtf is going on? Should I just replace the battery?

It's jailbroken and on iOS 8.1.2. Battery life shows a decreased capacity of around 77%, nothing too ridiculous.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bouchacha posted:

My 4S which I bought about 2-3 years ago keeps cutting shutting down at around 20-30% battery life randomly. One time it shut down with 28%. Last night I was looking at it and the battery went from 53% to 0% and then shut down and wouldn't start unless I plugged it in. I plugged it in just enough for it to boot up and it showed 28% charge, then a 37% a minute later when I checked again. Wtf is going on? Should I just replace the battery?

It's jailbroken and on iOS 8.1.2. Battery life shows a decreased capacity of around 77%, nothing too ridiculous.

Your battery is dying. A battery replacement, or a new phone are your solutions.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Bouchacha posted:

Could be cold weather. My 5 that I bought two years ago was doing the same thing until I got my 6+ a couple weeks back. I spend a lot of time waiting for buses in Minneapolis-St. Paul.

The Saboteur
Dec 25, 2005
My good friend Fink bought me this account for Christmas because he kicks ass.
I don't have the "audible sound" issue with my home button that I've seen posted elsewhere, but my iPhone 6 doesn't seem to register every depression of the button. Is this a known problem, or something I can go back to the Apple store with? The phone is about a week old.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

Suqit posted:

It should be in the OP.

I also have one of these and love it.

It really does a good job of holding my phone while my mailbox emails come into my battery percentage-less phone.

:goonsay:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

God drat that Pro Clip is expensive. I purchased one anyway to test it out.

Now I'm looking for a new phone case. I typically never use cases on my phones, but this 6 is super slippery, so I purchased a leather one mainly for the grip.

I don't really care about protection since I've never cracked a phone. Do you guys know of a case that is maybe even thinner than the iPhone leather? I've tried an Invisible Shield Orbit here and it adds too much to the sides of the phone, too wide. Any ideas?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

obi_ant posted:

God drat that Pro Clip is expensive. I purchased one anyway to test it out.

Now I'm looking for a new phone case. I typically never use cases on my phones, but this 6 is super slippery, so I purchased a leather one mainly for the grip.

I don't really care about protection since I've never cracked a phone. Do you guys know of a case that is maybe even thinner than the iPhone leather? I've tried an Invisible Shield Orbit here and it adds too much to the sides of the phone, too wide. Any ideas?

The elago Glide is pretty thin and fits really well. The matte "soft" colors are grippy.

I had the elago Slimfit2 before the Glide finally came out, but I prefer the way slider cases wrap the screen a bit. I had a Glide on my 4-then-4S for three years and it held up well.

Both are cheap on Amazon.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 10, 2015

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

The Saboteur posted:

I don't have the "audible sound" issue with my home button that I've seen posted elsewhere, but my iPhone 6 doesn't seem to register every depression of the button. Is this a known problem, or something I can go back to the Apple store with? The phone is about a week old.

Audible sound issue?

Anyway, sounds like a run-of-the-mill quality control issue. Seems like grounds for an instant replacement at an Apple store especially given its age. Go ahead and take it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smam
Jul 31, 2003
Odd question: using my phone yesterday the recently opened apps screen showed some of my frequently used apps out of order. It showed the last opened app as gmail when I hadn't used it last. I have a pass code and was home so no one could have tinkered with it- what gives? This hasn't happened before.