Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

bairfanx posted:

I really loving hate that so many comic shops are staffed by tactless idiots who drive folks away and then wonder why their shop suffers.

This is why I'm glad my local store, which I really need to buy from more and support, makes me really happy since they usually are very good about giving suggestions if you ask and giving warnings when they should. I'm on the new side to comics and had really just covered Watchmen and Preacher when I first came in and basically asked for Garth Ennis and was given The Boys with the comment that it probably won't be as amazing for me as Preacher but that it was the best of his work they had- then she recommended Y: The Last Man as a way to branch out into other authors and it just feels nice when a person tries to make a sale that is worthwhile for everyone (ended up buying every hardcover of Y from them so five minutes of attention had a good return for them).

chime_on posted:

Finally read Alan Moore's Crossed: Plus 100 #1 yesterday, and it was really good. Can't wait to see where the story goes. I've never read Crossed before-- my local shop actually gave me a lot of grief when I said I wanted to add this to my pull list, tried to make me feel like a creep or something. There was nudity in the book, and violence, obviously, but it wasn't exploitative trash or anything.

Depending on the author Crossed can range from hosed up to absolutely hosed up but honestly if they want to run a comic shop and are fine with taking money for a comic then in my opinion they lose the right to give someone poo poo for buying it. You should give them grief next time you pick it up for taking money and peddling that comic.

Or go in and ask to use the restroom and come out with a red rash on your face muttering to yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

al-azad posted:

I'd say if you were at your wits end for Alan Moore stuff beyond the usual recommendations then Halo Jones and A Small Killing are both better and more aesthetically pleasing. A Small Killing in particular is one of my favorite illustrated Moore stories.

A Small Killing is indeed neat and underrated. i used to have a copy i got for like $4 at a secondhand bookstore but i lost it :(

i didn't know what to expect from Crossed +100 but i ended up really liking it. "broken-English futurespeak" is one of those things that just annoys the piss out of me 9 out of 10 times it's used, but Moore managed to hit that Alex Burgess sweet spot where once you get into the rhythm of it (which, granted, takes like a third of the issue) it's kind of beautiful.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I haven't seen too many people mention it, but The Mercenary Sea has been one of my favorite books this year, and in today's issue the creators announced that it's moving from a monthly release schedule to a "miniseries" format. Sorry to see it go but I guess the production schedule was too much for them. Release date for the first issue of the new format is TBD.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Since Dark Horse loses its Star Wars license at the end of the year they're selling every Star Wars thing they have for 50% off, or absolutely every Star Wars thing they have in one $300 bundle (which is apparently ~90% off). Sale ends at 11 pm Pacific tonight, so maybe 15 hours left.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Wytches is getting pretty drat good. Really weird and compelling - I hope it's able to pace itself.

I really liked the end of The Massive. :colbert:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

LightWarden posted:

Since Dark Horse loses its Star Wars license at the end of the year they're selling every Star Wars thing they have for 50% off, or absolutely every Star Wars thing they have in one $300 bundle (which is apparently ~90% off). Sale ends at 11 pm Pacific tonight, so maybe 15 hours left.
Did Dark Horse ever make their digital app better and usable?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

pugnax posted:

Wytches is getting pretty drat good. Really weird and compelling - I hope it's able to pace itself.

I really liked the end of The Massive. :colbert:

Did issue 3 come out today? East of West 16 was pretty awesome. I love that book a ton.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

Did issue 3 come out today? East of West 16 was pretty awesome. I love that book a ton.

I've just read the first two trades of East of West, but yeah, that book is good.

I know there's a vertigo thread, but the next Sandman: Overture came out as well. Unsurprisingly it's loving rad, but drat if it isn't coming out incredibly slowly.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

RevKrule posted:

Did Dark Horse ever make their digital app better and usable?

I sure hope so :shepspends:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Did they ever get HD comics?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Hey, am I crazy or did Boom say that the Boom! Box mixtape was going to come out in December. Did I miss it or was it delayed? Hungering for more Teen Dog/Lumberjanes.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
As far as I know, it's in release limbo.

The official Boom website says it's avalable for preorder.

According to Previews, it's out on the 14th.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

As far as I know, it's in release limbo.

The official Boom website says it's avalable for preorder.

According to Previews, it's out on the 14th.

Oh weird, I didn't know that Previews had something that was convenient and online for readers rather than just shop owners. Thanks!

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Reminder that the first volume of Corto Maltese is being released this week. I'm personally waiting for Ballad of the Salt Sea to come out before plunging into it, but my completionist urge is tempting me to get this right away. Does anyone who's read this series before know if these early stories set up a lot of important things?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

moot the hopple posted:

Reminder that the first volume of Corto Maltese is being released this week. I'm personally waiting for Ballad of the Salt Sea to come out before plunging into it, but my completionist urge is tempting me to get this right away. Does anyone who's read this series before know if these early stories set up a lot of important things?

If anyone has been waiting for it, this is already out at finer comic shops near you. Or at least finer ones near me. Has been for a few weeks.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

moot the hopple posted:

No, it's an adventure serial. There's continuity in that his adventures take place in real time but each volume is self contained.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Cool, I might have to check it out sooner rather than later.

Speaking of adventure serials, I received a couple of Moebius's Blueberry trades this Christmas and they've been immensely enjoyable. It's stuff prior to his turn as science fiction auteur but there's still a bunch of his recognizable trademarks present such as some really clean, crisp linework. You can sort of trace the evolution of his style as the series goes on and the art becomes drastically different. I think as a Franco-Western it also has its own interesting take on old west America. While I'll sometimes recognize familiar cues from some of the more famous contemporary Western films of the time, I think Moebius and Charlier still produce some fresh and distinct stories.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
What do you all think of Trees? I hadn't expected it to be such a decompressed sort of character piece (I guess) and now this latest issue burns everything down (to seemingly start from scratch in the next volume maybe?). I'm honestly not sure what I think of it. I usually like something a bit more lively or focused.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I feel about the same way honestly. I love Warren Ellis, but it just seems like nothings really happening. And his trademark weirdness is there, but just sort of in the background, unlike Supreme: Blue Rose. Which is amazing, and I can't recommend enough.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i'm an issue or two behind on Trees i think, but i'm actually really liking it. it tones down on some of Ellis' more obnoxious dialogue/character-based traits in favor to focus on what i think is pretty neat concept-driven sci-fi. And the art is fantastic.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
Anyone red Lady Killer ? I thought it was a pretty good start for a mini serie (6 issues if I remember correctly)

Also, image comics are doing a humble bundle!

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

xenilk fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 8, 2015

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

xenilk posted:

Anyone red Lady Killer ? I thought it was a pretty good start for a mini serie (6 issues if I remember correctly)

Also, image comics are doing a humble bundle!

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Would someone be will to give their thoughts on the included comics. It looks like a pretty good deal. I've yet to read the Walking Dead and was thinking of buying the premium collection.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

ghostwritingduck posted:

Would someone be will to give their thoughts on the included comics. It looks like a pretty good deal. I've yet to read the Walking Dead and was thinking of buying the premium collection.

More than average tier is the best.
Sex Criminals is an amazing and smart comedy book, Manhattan Projects is absurd and violent and fun, Velvet is a fine retro spy fiction, Deadly Class and Wicked+Divine are very pretty.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I can't quite put my finger on Alex + Ada.

A part of me feels comfortable dismissing it as a mediocre comic with a slow story and kinda boring art, but on the other hand it did keep me curious and engaged enough to keep reading. It has a certain innocent charm to it that makes it much more appealing than the fanservicey story I expected. But while it's not entirely predictable, the subject matter of young introverted man meets beautiful android girl who wants to understand the world feels like extremely well-trodden territory and the author doesn't seem to have anything too unique to say. I imagine young adults or teens might like the awkward romance elements more.

Overall it just doesn't quite feel like it matches the superb quality of most of the other Image books. I'd say it has the feel of a webcomic to it but even that comparison doesn't seem fair when you look at something like Kill Six Billion Demons. The bits about AI rights and sentience are the only story components I really find compelling and they're only brought up in depth every few issues.

But Image has been absolutely killing it with the stuff they choose to publish lately, so I'll pretty much give anything of theirs a shot. The Fade Out and Wytches are also on my reading list with some good buzz.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
That Humble Bundle is the best deal on the best set of comics that I've ever seen.

Alex + Ada. Dropped it after the first trade. I really wanted to like it because it has potential, but when you're telling a story that is primarily about human emotion, you better have an artist that can convey that through their art, and Luna fails miserably here. Every character emotes like a department store mannequin.

The Fade Out might be my favorite comic right now; if you liked L.A. Confidential or Ellroy in general, this might be your jam.

Finally, Shaft has been really good in its first two issues. I know I know, it sounds bonkers, right? Blaxploitation character and Boom? But it's a pretty big departure from the films into a more introspective Shaft, and the writing and art are both really tight.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That would be surprising if it was actually a Boom title. But exploitation properties and Dynamite go together like peanut butter and something that tastes like peanut butter.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Alex + Ada reminds me a lot of a manga I read in middle school. The concept isn't very new like Ror said, and the art is serviceable but not very interesting. I'm kind of surprised it's even going on still.

I only really got the Humble Bundle for C.O.W.L because I remember enjoying the first issue but didn't continue reading because I didn't have the budget to include it in my pull. The other stuff looks okay but not very grabbing. The first bundle they did the past summer was better I thought.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I haven't read Alex + Ada but I liked The Sword by the Luna Brothers. Their art is a bit barebones and simple but I like it. I've never read any of their other stuff though. I recently checked out the first issue of God Hates Astronauts and have no clue what I even read. It's basically pure insanity. I don't even really know if I liked it. I can definitely recommend Velvet, Sex Criminal, Manhattan Projects, and The Fade Out. All quality books. The Fuse is pretty good too, but I'm usually a fan of most of Johnston's stuff.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
My problem with Luna Brothers art is that everyone, regardless of gender, looks basically exactly the same. But even worse, they always look worried. It's the eyebrows.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

East of West of awesome (The World is just an encyclopedia though) , and some people like Saga and some people hate it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

East of West: The World has a short story that fleshes a plot point out a bit. It doesn't seem vital, but it's Hickman, so it'll probably be the most important bit in the endgame of the series.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Goatmask posted:

What do you all think of Trees? I hadn't expected it to be such a decompressed sort of character piece (I guess) and now this latest issue burns everything down (to seemingly start from scratch in the next volume maybe?). I'm honestly not sure what I think of it. I usually like something a bit more lively or focused.

I feel the same. I'm not really sure what the hell is going on. We are 8 issues in and I don't feel like there has really been any sort of plot progression until this issue. We got a bunch of adventures of a kid learning art, a war in Africa, a scientist in Antarctica and something in England. I expected the build up to "What the hell are the Trees?" to be slow but I expected something to have happened by now.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

East of West of awesome (The World is just an encyclopedia though) , and some people like Saga and some people hate it.

East of West is great. Last weeks issue to me felt like a high point in the series. The way they showed the Endless Nation essentially destroying the Republic of Texas in days just goes to show the overwhelming power of their tech/magic. It's really telling that one of the most exciting issues in the series didn't even really feature one of the main characters.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

SalTheBard posted:

I feel the same. I'm not really sure what the hell is going on. We are 8 issues in and I don't feel like there has really been any sort of plot progression until this issue. We got a bunch of adventures of a kid learning art, a war in Africa, a scientist in Antarctica and something in England. I expected the build up to "What the hell are the Trees?" to be slow but I expected something to have happened by now.

I got the impression that the Trees themselves aren't terrifically important to any of the plots besides the Antarctica scientists'. They're a change agent more than anything; they're the sudden intrusion of the otherworldly and the story is in how they force people to react. It's kind of an alien-abduction story in reverse, and what got to interest me about the book was how it was not actually science fiction most of the time.

A lot's happened--the Trees' effect has been uncovered and there's at least one survivor that knows about it, Chenglu's been destroyed, the Italian girl killed her crime-boss boyfriend and took over--but it's all been setup and slow burn.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Who the gently caress hates Saga?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

Who the gently caress hates Saga?

I do, but I realize I'm waaay in the minority. I just hate the writing, it's way too precious and in love with itself.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

I do, but I realize I'm waaay in the minority. I just hate the writing, it's way too precious and in love with itself.

Yeah, same here.
I like how it blazes the trail for mainstream adult comics with nudity and violence being treated like commonplace things instead of main attractions, but the comic itself is one big smugfest.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Hakkesshu posted:

Completely agree. I had this whole post written up about it for the Saga thread a while back after I finished the first trade. I poised my finger to hit submit, thought about the endless unconditional fellatio in the thread, and figured it wouldn't be worth the pixels.

I'm on my phone right now, otherwise I would expound a bit on the point. Besides the insufferable smugness, most of my other problems can be summed up in the agent dude playing with a literal iPhone and complaining about how it froze up on him.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

I mean, Brian Vaughn books are always a giant smugfest, but that's just the deal. Just like Ellis books are weird as gently caress and Morrison books have the best made up words.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I really, really do not like Y: The Last Man either, so yeah, pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like Saga, but I think it's steadily improved since it began. And I also think Y was better.