Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

poo poo pissing me off again: SharePoint.

Volmarias posted:

Do you know you can't afford him, or did you just assume? Some retirees decide to reenter the workforce so that they have something to do.

My dad is suffering from this problem in the pharmaceutical field. He has 30+ years doing R&D, but hiring managers see that and assume he's going to want $fym and retire in two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Spazz posted:

poo poo pissing me off again: SharePoint.

SharePoint is the worst at what it does, except for all the others.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ConfusedUs posted:

hahaha your companies are still using sharepoint/anything made by microsoft

2007 called they want their garbage software back

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

soy posted:

excuse me i think you meant to say micro$$$oft

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

ratbert90 posted:

Oh I know, however calling somebody who is doing helpdesk a "Linux Engineer" also pisses me off because I consider a engineer one who creates things. If companies agreed to just that, then sure, but it's gotten to the point where companies are calling bill the helpdesk guy a Customer Service Engineer.

That's why my company does as well so I am considered a "Linux Enterprise Engineer". Of course we have our own internal definition of Engineer (certain level Certification = Core Engineer, another goes up to Engineer, etc.)

Does "Red Hat Certified Engineer" actually acount as a Linux Engineer?

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

Agreed. The company I work for built their product on top of SharePoint so I'm kind of stuck with it. We make it work for the most part, but holy gently caress can there be random bullshit that grinds my gears. Right now? SOAP calls! We have an internal URL for services configured (https://clientint.site.com/) that it works fine on, but the external URL returns access denied. And of course the ULS logs are useless.

This. This is why I drink.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

soy posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=219

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Lightning Jim posted:

Does "Red Hat Certified Engineer" actually acount as a Linux Engineer?

Go look up the definition of a professional engineer, which is licensing, not certification. There's not one for Linux, though there is one for software. I don't know where software developers actually sign off to engineering standards, and I've never met a licensed software engineer, but I guess it's a thing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

evol262 posted:

Go look up the definition of a professional engineer, which is licensing, not certification. There's not one for Linux, though there is one for software. I don't know where software developers actually sign off to engineering standards, and I've never met a licensed software engineer, but I guess it's a thing.

Licensed software engineers are the dudes writing avionics or medical equipment firmware, mostly.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Sylink posted:

I also posted it in the job thread here - http://mojojojo.theresumator.com/apply/oXlQUJ/Linux-Engineer-Evening-Shift.html

Please hack it to pieces, I literally don't know where to go with this. Normally we put up the company name but in this case we are trying to replace a current employee and we are too small to just get rid of him and then search.
Am I the only person that sees the phrase "jack of all trades" as a huge flashing sign that says "don't apply for this"?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

vibur posted:

Am I the only person that sees the phrase "jack of all trades" as a huge flashing sign that says "don't apply for this"?

Nope.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
When the very first sentence of that posting is, "Our web hosting company is looking linux system engineer to add to our support team," you don't get to complain about the bad grammar in the resumes you receive.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
You know the old saying - jack of all trades, paycheck of none.

And now, a compliment sandwich for one of my coworkers.

A good thing - you sent an email stating that you'd be working from home today with all relevant contact info, ensuring that you can stay on top of the 3 million things you need to be doing which you've no doubt decided you can get done from home.
A bad thing - you sent the email at 1:15 in the afternoon.
A good thing - you know how life changes are a positive thing? You've got one coming your way if business doesn't pick up.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

That last one sounds like a bad thing.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Sylink posted:

We have been using resumator, which does a good job of giving us a submission form to put out. And then it posts to the boards like Indeed and w/e for us.

I also posted it in the job thread here - http://mojojojo.theresumator.com/apply/oXlQUJ/Linux-Engineer-Evening-Shift.html

Please hack it to pieces, I literally don't know where to go with this. Normally we put up the company name but in this case we are trying to replace a current employee and we are too small to just get rid of him and then search.

Beyond resumator its mostly craigslist postings.

Are you the one doing the hiring? I passed this to a friend or two, and wanted to know if there was a secret code word they can include. They're also goons, they just don't post much.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

evol262 posted:

Got it, thanks. Didn't know there was a difference since I'm not an true engineer.

Things pissing me off again today:
Do you know what the cheapest warranty you can get on a server from Dell? Basic Next Business Day Parts Only warranty. Gotta replace parts on a motherboard or some super crazy-to-remove part? Sorry, gotta do it yourself.

Except for rare cases where they've paid to have a dedicated onsite technician from Dell, I feel sorry for the techs that have to deal with systems under this warranty.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
On the flipside, We have Prosupport 4HR onsite and we do most part replacements ourselves because nobody has ever put in the effort to get the dell techs Datacenter access and a rack schema.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
We recently acquired a number of branch offices and in one of them I'm trying to get DHCP off of the branch router (because it would fail intermittently until the router was rebooted for no reason we were ever able to determine) and onto the branch Windows 2003 server. Installing the role onto the server goes fine, until it comes time to actually set it up. The add scope wizard fails to come up, and if I try to manage DHCP via MMC it tells me Access Denied, whether from my remote workstation or from the server itself and regardless of the permissions on the account, up to and including Domain Admin. The service is running and the server is authorized in AD, and I can even see the event log signifying that, but I have no ability to configure DHCP at all.

Have any of you come across anything like this before? My Google-fu is failing me and all I can find are suggestions to authorize the server or compress the database, which is not helpful. I'm beginning to think that either my Google skills are lacking or I've somehow managed to find a problem that no one else has ever had. I've removed and reinstalled the role a half-dozen times, ditto with authorizing/deauthorizing it. At this point I'm tempted to just use this branch as a test-bed for the Windows 2003-to-2012 project that's going to need to happen this year.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Fenrisulfr posted:

We recently acquired a number of branch offices and in one of them I'm trying to get DHCP off of the branch router (because it would fail intermittently until the router was rebooted for no reason we were ever able to determine) and onto the branch Windows 2003 server. Installing the role onto the server goes fine, until it comes time to actually set it up. The add scope wizard fails to come up, and if I try to manage DHCP via MMC it tells me Access Denied, whether from my remote workstation or from the server itself and regardless of the permissions on the account, up to and including Domain Admin. The service is running and the server is authorized in AD, and I can even see the event log signifying that, but I have no ability to configure DHCP at all.

Have any of you come across anything like this before? My Google-fu is failing me and all I can find are suggestions to authorize the server or compress the database, which is not helpful. I'm beginning to think that either my Google skills are lacking or I've somehow managed to find a problem that no one else has ever had. I've removed and reinstalled the role a half-dozen times, ditto with authorizing/deauthorizing it. At this point I'm tempted to just use this branch as a test-bed for the Windows 2003-to-2012 project that's going to need to happen this year.
It just sounds like you don't have an account with the proper AD credentials?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
You may find that you need Enterprise Admin group membership

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

jim truds posted:

That last one sounds like a bad thing.

He didn't say for whom it was good.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

He might be overqualified on paper, but what if every single hiring manager made the same assumption as you? He might be completely desperate at this point.

For god's sake, this. I've been in the overqualified boat and not getting callbacks. Talk to the guy, see if he'll take what you're paying. If it works out, you might end up with a fantastic employee that you'll keep throwing raises at.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

theperminator posted:

On the flipside, We have Prosupport 4HR onsite and we do most part replacements ourselves because nobody has ever put in the effort to get the dell techs Datacenter access and a rack schema.

I wouldn't trust them ("Dell" tech) to do it anyway. We made that mistake a couple of times and each time, they would replace something, pop out of the server room and say 'oops, I broke *thing* while trying to remove *bad part*'. Since then, we just tell them to send the parts and do it ourselves.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Fenrisulfr posted:

You need to be a DHCP Administrator: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd759157.aspx

anthonypants posted:

This.

theperminator posted:

You may find that you need Enterprise Admin group membership

Only for child -> parent domains.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

anthonypants posted:

I tried that, it didn't help. It also doesn't seem to be necessary as long as the user is in the local Administrators group, looking at some of our other DHCP servers. I should also mention that I've done this a few times before and have never had a problem, though the other servers I've done this on were 2008 R2 so maybe there's a difference there that's screwing me up?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Thanks for the input guys, we are revamping a lot of things.

Though, you guys need to see some therapists with your hopeless negativity and assumptions about "poo poo jobs" :)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
ah yes we're the problem and not your poo poo job posting

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Sorry you can't have a conversation man :shrug: relax but I'll just ignore you instead. Have a nice day.

I'm new to hiring and such thats why I actually bothered to ask for input.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sylink posted:

Though, you guys need to see some therapists with your hopeless negativity and assumptions about "poo poo jobs" :)

Your job posting communicated "poo poo job" in a number of ways; if you don't want honesty then next time I suggest getting your recruiting help from Robert Half.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sylink posted:

Sorry you can't have a conversation man :shrug: relax but I'll just ignore you instead. Have a nice day.

I'm new to hiring and such thats why I actually bothered to ask for input.

Grow a thicker skin. Nice ignore burn though.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I don't recall saying I disagreed with you, so good non-point.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
One more suggestion: when you ask for help and get it, maybe try expressing your gratitude in a non-backhanded fashion.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Guys, why all the fighting? Let's remember what's really terrible here: users, printers, and Sharepoint.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Sylink posted:

Yeah you're not helping the assumptions with a passive-aggressive response like that.

Che Delilas posted:

One more suggestion: when you ask for help and get it, maybe try expressing your gratitude in a non-backhanded fashion.

:agreed:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Can we go back to talking about running DHCP on switches?

It's just the worst. :unsmigghh:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For arguments sake let's say you were doing DHCP on switches, if those switches were a Cisco stack with two members, does that automatically make the DHCP service HA, or do you have to pick a stack member for the service to run on?

I know there's a Cisco thread but this seems a bit trivial and it's sort of on topic for here now.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
OH GOD STOP I DIDN'T MEAN IT

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
My old MSP's office manager was called Dorris, and controlled where everyone sat. The technical director called it his DHCP service

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Actually seeing those four letters together brought back a deeply-buried memory of a previous job where my boss kept massive spreadsheets of static IP addresses for things like printers, scanners, cameras, access points etc. and made the argument against setting static leases of "well, what if the DHCP service fails?". Which I never really understood because the clients wouldn't be doing much at that point and so it wouldn't matter.

I can understand the logic behind not wanting to use something in an unorthodox or unsupported way, but to not use a service that is literally there to make your job easier because it might break was one I couldn't wrap my head around. Surely you could make that argument about everything?

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

My old MSP's office manager was called Dorris, and controlled where everyone sat. The technical director called it his DHCP service

The office manager is where the real power lies, and woe betide anyone who forgets that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Rhymenoserous posted:

"Linux Engineer"

"Entry Level"

Dude it's T1-T2 helpdesk. Nothing about that requires the word engineer. I took one look at it and said "Hey I qualify for most of that but I'd have to be clinically retarded to work that job".

Also the minute I'm loving with visualization and CLI w/root, I'm no longer low enough on the totem pole to be making poo poo money and dealing with customers as a primary support dude.

Yeah, that's a straight up tech support position. Maybe you could get away with calling it T2 since they have server access and aren't just reading a script, but if the company doesn't at least have a separate front line T1 team that handles initial calls and emails and takes care of the "how do I sent emails" level of newbie questions, then even that's a stretch. "Engineer" implies that they are going to be involved in designing and building systems, which doesn't seem to be the case at all.

If that's how the job posting is titled, it's no wonder the OP isn't getting anyone literate applying. Smart people looking for an entry level support job aren't even going to look at a "X Engineer" job posting, and anyone actually looking for a sysadmin/engineering role is just going to sigh, roll their eyes, and close the tab when they read the job description, so all that's left are desperate people shotgunning resumes or people who can't be bothered to read.