Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I have my Decimo for 4-5 years and use it daily at work, it still looks great and works well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How does the Lamy 2000 (and other vanishing point pens) keep ink from coming out the end when the nib is retracted? Are they safe enough to carry in your shirt pocket? Upside down or nib-up only?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Sagebrush posted:

How does the Lamy 2000 (and other vanishing point pens) keep ink from coming out the end when the nib is retracted? Are they safe enough to carry in your shirt pocket? Upside down or nib-up only?

For the VP, the clip is such that it's carried tip up, and there's a little trap door that the nib is behind which also helps keep it from drying out.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Zadus Rejan posted:

It's been a long time since we talked about capless pen.

Any return? I'm tempted by either the lamy or the vanishing point from pilot (not the decimo).
And about the vanishing point from pilot, is there any differences between the one sold in japan and those sold in europe or the us? Because the japanese version can be found form (some time) half the price of the european one.

If you buy from a third party seller then the FP companies won't offer warranty if it breaks b/c not an official distributor but you can always get a refund via PP. No as I've purchased JPN FP from overseas via eBay and they were the same as the overseas editions part from being less costly.

I've written with the VP and it has a small ink storage which may or may not be a concern for you. Oh and there's the odd clip but I didn't mind. Also, comes in different colors and finishes too if you're undecided.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Sagebrush posted:

The Lamy 2000 isn't a vanishing point. It has a cap. If that was your only concern you should totally get one.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Due to this thread I got a cheap box of (6) Pilot Varsity on Amazon, and gave some out amongst the larger gifts, and kept a few for me. Just wanted to feel out this whole fountain pen thing before I get too deep into it. If I manage to use one of mine enough to run it out, I'll go buy something nicer with a good seal for travel; the Kaweco Sport seems pretty awesome.

EDIT: The Liliput is also awfully cute:

Welp, just ordered a Kaweco Skyline Sport from Jetpen, so we'll see how this all works out. I don't write in ink very often, so I figure I might as well be baller when I do.

Are there any good essays/articles/blogposts about whatever increase of interest in fountain pens, analog backlash to an increasingly digitized world, stuff like that?

Zadus Rejan
Nov 9, 2011
Thanks for all the answers! I'll wait to see if amazon does some price shenanigan. (70% of my WM carene)

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
I dropped my Metro a few weeks ago, it was lidded and landed flat on its side on a hard floor. Since then it often hard starts, even with just a few seconds lifted off the page.

Is there anything I can do to fix it or check it? I have done a complete disassembly and clear, reseated nib and feed and the problem persists. :shrug:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Slimchandi posted:

I dropped my Metro a few weeks ago, it was lidded and landed flat on its side on a hard floor. Since then it often hard starts, even with just a few seconds lifted off the page.

Is there anything I can do to fix it or check it? I have done a complete disassembly and clear, reseated nib and feed and the problem persists. :shrug:

There's a decent chance you've knocked the tines just a touch out of alignment and it's affected the flow.

Take out the nib and hold it up against a light source. You should see a clear slit that runs from the breather hole that narrows towards the tip of the tines, and the tines shouldn't be touching. If it's too wide at the tip the ink flow will stop halfway down the slit, if it's touching at the tip too little ink will flow. You can adjust it by squeezing the shoulders of the nib if it's too wide, or pulling (gently!) at the shoulders if it's touching.

It may take some trial and error but it's not actually too difficult to do.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Are there any good essays/articles/blogposts about whatever increase of interest in fountain pens, analog backlash to an increasingly digitized world, stuff like that?

There's FPN and FPG where everyone else who loves stationery and FPs go and discuss the waterproof qualities of ink. Also, a few individual bloggers but they mostly do reviews and comparisons of items vs essays. I'm pretty sure there's a NYT article about how kids these days don't appreciate analog tools or how authors are more creative using pen and paper :iiam:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Decimo or Falcon? I don't particularly care about flex

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

You should look through the history section on Raven's March.

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/?page_id=167

And from a quick google search:

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-18071830

Fall
Jun 6, 2011
What's a nice ink with a strong sheen like Sailor Jentle Oku-yama?

Other than the J Herbin anniversary inks. And anything from Noodlers-- shipping costs are a bitch.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Fall posted:

Other than the J Herbin anniversary inks. And anything from Noodlers-- shipping costs are a bitch.

Sailor Jentle blue-black and shigure also have a strong sheen. Other than those, really noticable sheens from my last pen test: Quink blue-black, Diamine Oxblood and Iroshizuku asa-gao. (Well, any Iroshizuku, really, but asa-gao most prominently.)

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Fall posted:

Here you go: http://www.fp-ink.info/en/

A nifty FP ink database of all the colors and comparisons b/t brands. Yes it includes water resistance if you care about that too.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011
Thanks!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I just picked this up from UPS.

Medium nib btw. Such a pretty pen, and good lord is it smooth.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Got another odd-ball to share, not sure that it is too common:

The Diagraph Control Flo Fountain Marking Pencil

What's that? It's a refillable aluminum magic marker:

A large capacity, refillable marker made for (I suppose) warehouse and shipping needs. The white felt nib is pretty large and rounded. It wouldn't be too difficult to shave it into a chisel for use in calligraphic writing.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Got a Kaweco Ice Sport in today. Filled her up using my mini converter and....

It starts vomiting ink all over the place because the nib holder is cracked. Great.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

grack posted:

Got a Kaweco Ice Sport in today. Filled her up using my mini converter and....

It starts vomiting ink all over the place because the nib holder is cracked. Great.

That sucks :( I actually got a Kaweco Ice Sport today too, a red one. I popped in the cartridge and it wrote alright. I smoothed the nib out a little bit and its writing quite decently now, just waiting to use all the ink in the cartridge so I can refill it with a syringe and something more interesting than Kaweco blue-purple-teal.

edit: Where did you order from? I got one from Goulet and it came with the usual excessive amount of bubblewrap and a tootsie pop. If it was them, I'd contact CS and see if they will replace it.

Korwen fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 10, 2015

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I also just got a Kaweco Sport today; a "Skyline" model where the logo/end/nib are silver vice gold. It's my first FP after the Pilot Varsity disposables I bought a pack of. Overall getting the hang of writing with an FP, though I wish I'd thought to squint at the ink cartridge before piercing it since I don't usually right in blue (got separate boxes of carts in black and purple since they're so cheap).

I'm overall pleased with the Sport, for what it is and $20, since it looks cute with neat lines and handles well. But I'd kinda thought it'd be heavier somehow like old-school implements made of Bakelite and such early plastics.

Out of curiosity, is there any current make of FP that's made of a heavy/dense plastic, a bit more old-school? Kinda like these incredibly heavy glasses frames I found at a flea-market that turned out to be Polish from the Communist era, built like a tank yet somehow plastic. Any FP equivalent?

EDIT: I suppose plastics like Delrin or Ebonite might give that heavy feel while still maintaining the durability of plastic?

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 11, 2015

grack
Jan 10, 2012

^^^ Ebonite is actually hardened rubber, and it will absolutely shatter if dropped. Thicker bodied acrylic is probably your best bet. That said, I generally like aluminum pens so normally cracking (outside of the nib collar which is really rare) isn't generally an issue.

Korwen posted:

That sucks :( I actually got a Kaweco Ice Sport today too, a red one. I popped in the cartridge and it wrote alright. I smoothed the nib out a little bit and its writing quite decently now, just waiting to use all the ink in the cartridge so I can refill it with a syringe and something more interesting than Kaweco blue-purple-teal.

edit: Where did you order from? I got one from Goulet and it came with the usual excessive amount of bubblewrap and a tootsie pop. If it was them, I'd contact CS and see if they will replace it.

I got it at a local pen shop - it was actually cheaper to buy in-store than get it online. The owner switched out the section for me, the new one writes properly.

Edit: I also stopped at Lee Valley Tools to buy some more micromesh and brass shimming and there was a guy buying 6 boxes of tea and nothing else. Weird

grack fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 11, 2015

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Out of curiosity, is there any current make of FP that's made of a heavy/dense plastic, a bit more old-school? Kinda like these incredibly heavy glasses frames I found at a flea-market that turned out to be Polish from the Communist era, built like a tank yet somehow plastic. Any FP equivalent?

EDIT: I suppose plastics like Delrin or Ebonite might give that heavy feel while still maintaining the durability of plastic?

Not that are too cheap. Noodler's has a line of acrylic and ebonite pens in the $40 range of their Konrad series, which was named after the Post WWII Chancellor of Germany if you might have any interest in that

http://tinyurl.com/m79gol3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konrad_Adenauer

If you did get one of those pens, I'd also recommend getting a replacement nib from Goulet in whichever size you prefer. The Noodler's flex nib is alright, but mine was a little scratchy and hard to fuss with. I much prefer the Goulet 1.1 stub I've since put in my Ahab.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If you're looking for pens in the Kaweco sport price range, my GF just got a Monteverde Artista to replace the Metropolitan she broke and she seems to really like it. We both thought it'd be really cheap looking given it's a totally clear plastic pen, but it's pretty nice in person.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

If you're looking for pens in the Kaweco sport price range, my GF just got a Monteverde Artista to replace the Metropolitan she broke and she seems to really like it. We both thought it'd be really cheap looking given it's a totally clear plastic pen, but it's pretty nice in person.

The Artista is definitely cool.

I'm thinking of taking this )(@*#$&)@($*)#$(&*)@#(*&$)@*(#&$ Sport back to the shop and trading it in. Holy poo poo is this pen being a pain in the rear end. The nib tines are too tight leading to hard starts and I've tried every damned trick I know to spread them and nothing's worked so far.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Due to this thread I got a cheap box of (6) Pilot Varsity on Amazon, and gave some out amongst the larger gifts, and kept a few for me. Just wanted to feel out this whole fountain pen thing before I get too deep into it. If I manage to use one of mine enough to run it out, I'll go buy something nicer with a good seal for travel; the Kaweco Sport seems pretty awesome.

EDIT: The Liliput is also awfully cute:

My father has an Al-Sport with the fine italic nib, and my sister has a Lilliput in brass. The Al-sport is a lovely pen -- the all-metal everything (it's aluminum) is really nice and it's balanced very well (with the cap posted, as intended.) I think I might get one for myself someday. The lilliput is tiny -- when capped, it's almost exactly the same size as a cigarette, and not a king-size either. The cap screws onto the back and makes it about the length of an unposted normal pen, but it's still half the diameter. It suits her well because she's a very small person but if you're a big goony man with fat hands I imagine it would be like writing with a toothpick. Also, while the Al-sport can take one of the little squeezy converters, the Lilliput is so short it can literally only handle international-short cartridges, so if you want custom inks you'll have to fill up empties with a syringe.

Both of them write very nicely, though, and the features of being all-metal and having a wide variety of available interchangeable nibs and feeds are rare enough to recommend them on that basis alone.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Sagebrush posted:

The lilliput is tiny -- when capped, it's almost exactly the same size as a cigarette, and not a king-size either. The cap screws onto the back and makes it about the length of an unposted normal pen, but it's still half the diameter. It suits her well because she's a very small person but if you're a big goony man with fat hands I imagine it would be like writing with a toothpick.

Also it looks like a tampon

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Lamy Safari? I think it's durable but you may or may not get along w/the triangular grip section. I know there's cheap JPN student pens too but they are lighter and write finely compared to western nibs. Not as durable ofc due to thinner materials but they are plastic.

I don't mind plastic myself but I know there's some die-hard fans who loathe the very idea and prefer metal but what I really want to know is how do they tolerate writing w/such a heavy item for notes over time?

404notfound posted:

Gdt now I can't un-see it :hydrogen:

And I like pocket pens.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Alder posted:

Lamy Safari? I think it's durable but you may or may not get along w/the triangular grip section. I know there's cheap JPN student pens too but they are lighter and write finely compared to western nibs. Not as durable ofc due to thinner materials but they are plastic.

quote:

The lilliput is tiny -- when capped, it's almost exactly the same size as a cigarette, and not a king-size either. The cap screws onto the back and makes it about the length of an unposted normal pen, but it's still half the diameter. It suits her well because she's a very small person but if you're a big goony man with fat hands I imagine it would be like writing with a toothpick.

I've got pretty small hands; for a long while I used a Fisher Space Pen bullet-type ballpoint, and I still have a Pico (extremely tiny/skinny ballpoint) on my keychain, and in extremis have taken lengthy notes with it.

I was turning away from the Lilliput because I prefer plastic over metal, but if it's that small and trim I may need to ponder more. The Ohta Rook looks pretty cool, but gets iffy reviews.

For small-but-heavy, it may be that some of the Indian-made hand-turned ebonite pens might be an option. Basically looking for something minimalist/brutalist but not necessarily plain, weighty but plastic, and compact. Not anything desperately urgent, just a little niche I'll keep my eye open to fill someday:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

404notfound posted:

No more than basically every other fountain pen with a rounded cap.

In fact less so because it's too small.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

404notfound posted:

So you have never in your life seen a tampon then

(it's way too small and entirely the wrong proportions)

I've got pretty small hands; for a long while I used a Fisher Space Pen bullet-type ballpoint, and I still have a Pico (extremely tiny/skinny ballpoint) on my keychain, and in extremis have taken lengthy notes with it.

I was turning away from the Lilliput because I prefer plastic over metal, but if it's that small and trim I may need to ponder more.

I also have a chrome bullet space pen and the Lilliput is almost exactly the same size, both capped and posted.

Alder posted:

I don't mind plastic myself but I know there's some die-hard fans who loathe the very idea and prefer metal but what I really want to know is how do they tolerate writing w/such a heavy item for notes over time?

I find it's actually less tiring to use a heavier pen. It's not like it's a great deal of extra mass, but the weight helps keep the nib on the paper through the more twisty strokes even if you're just barely touching the pen. Obviously the balance has to be right, and with most of my metal pens I don't write with them posted because they get really top-heavy.

Also the weight is really satisfying. It's like picking up any other well-made hand tool, like a revolver or a socket wrench or whatever, where the unexpected weight makes you you go "ooh, wow, this is serious."

I have a lot of good plastic pens too, but for general use I keep coming back to my solid-brass Rotring Newton (with a new internal feed and nib section I machined out of an ArtPen because they never made EF nibs for the Newton/600 series).

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 11, 2015

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

I find it's actually less tiring to use a heavier pen. It's not like it's a great deal of extra mass, but the weight helps keep the nib on the paper through the more twisty strokes even if you're just barely touching the pen. Obviously the balance has to be right, and with most of my metal pens I don't write with them posted because they get really top-heavy.

Also the weight is really satisfying. It's like picking up any other well-made hand tool, like a revolver or a socket wrench or whatever, where the unexpected weight makes you you go "ooh, wow, this is serious."

I have a lot of good plastic pens too, but for general use I keep coming back to my solid-brass Rotring Newton (with a new internal feed and nib section I machined out of an ArtPen because they never made EF nibs for the Newton/600 series).

Hmm--never thought about it that way since my heaviest FP was a brass one. I have a rOtring 600 and it's on the borderline of too heavy but i like how in the sense it has weight and won't roll away from me on my desk. Although, I've moved away from posting FPs even for shorter pens due to the wear. The only time I disliked lighter FPs is probably my former Sailor Sapporo as it felt too light in a way for writing.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Kinda weird question: are glass fountain pens a thing? I see no reason why a full-glass fountain pen, except for the nib (and maybe the feed?), wouldn't work.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Korwen posted:

Not that are too cheap. Noodler's has a line of acrylic and ebonite pens in the $40 range of their Konrad series, which was named after the Post WWII Chancellor of Germany if you might have any interest in that

http://tinyurl.com/m79gol3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konrad_Adenauer

:aaa:

I'd wondered about the name, but I never would've thought the Noodler's guy would name something after not-American history (and even though the party Adenauer is from is called the Christian Conservative party, they're essentially US Democrats except with broader appeal)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

blowfish posted:

I never would've thought the Noodler's guy would name something after not-American history

Like Ottoman Rose or Tiananmen or Zhivago or Nikita or Rome Burning or Qin Shi Huang?

I know what you mean, though.

Mikl posted:

Kinda weird question: are glass fountain pens a thing? I see no reason why a full-glass fountain pen, except for the nib (and maybe the feed?), wouldn't work.

The nib needs to flex slightly and the feed is full of tiny little channels, and I think both would be too fragile to use if made out of glass. It's also challenging to make fine threads in glass so you'd have trouble if you tried to make the grip and body both glass and thread them into each other.

That said, my sister has a pen with a glass body and cap, but a standard plastic grip section and a little metal insert at the bottom of the body for it to thread into, so that much is certainly a thing, yes.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Actually glass-nibbed fountain pens are definitely a thing. I'm not talking single piece dip pens either - real fountain pens with self-contained ink resevoirs. They were very popular in Eastern Europe for a few decades after WWII.

SBREBrown actually has a review of a glass-nibbed fountain pen on his channel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP3BErwsSKc

Edit: And one up for sale on eBay http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Haro...=item1e98034b3a

grack fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 11, 2015

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Hey, that's actually not too expensive! Maybe...

quote:

-Technical condition: the piston-filling mechanism is not in working order.

:smith:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mikl posted:

They are popular for calligraphy. I did see a glass nibbed FP once on a blog but it wasn't working and just a interesting historical tidbit. Agreed w/the issues of it being very fragile and a pain to modify into a custom nib if wanted due to material.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy

I wonder if the broken lever fill is an issue of the actual lever or if it just has a worn out ink sac?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

Alder posted:

Lamy Safari? I think it's durable but you may or may not get along w/the triangular grip section.

Just selling my Safari for this exact reason, not heavy enough and the grip puts my fingers too close for comfort.

Any experiences of using the Lamy Studio instead? I love Lamy styling.

UK goons - WHSmith seem to have a few heavy discounts on selected pen brands.

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/dept/stationery-pens-fountain-pens-12x00077