Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

twow will have numerous neams and naunts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

http://i.imgur.com/FfI1goA.jpg

Someone went to Cushing library and read the entire ADWD manuscript in the reading room. Unfortunately the only real revelation gained was a note about Coldhands saying he isn't Benjen.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

TommyGun85 posted:

twow will have numerous neams and naunts.

They're not in King Lear so I don't think that'll happen.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Whoever decided that the Frey men all wear that dumb hat is a genius. Nothing gets across that they're a family of turds who no one likes better than that hat.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

http://i.imgur.com/FfI1goA.jpg

Someone went to Cushing library and read the entire ADWD manuscript in the reading room. Unfortunately the only real revelation gained was a note about Coldhands saying he isn't Benjen.

The highlight for me is how his editor steadily gets fed up with the "words are wind" repetitions and starts to cut some out...only to have the cuts overruled by Martin.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That's always a good situation to be in. What's the point of an editor if the author gets final decision?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Professor Shark posted:

That's always a good situation to be in. What's the point of an editor if the author gets final decision?

Glorified spell-checker?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ague Proof posted:

Glorified spell-checker?

Can't even do that right, as Shakaz Mo Zulu can testify.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Here's the whole post on reddit, it has some other funny stuff in it (like a few subtle comments from the editor about how long it's been since the previous books were published :haw:)

http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/2rtcaa/i_went_to_the_cushing_library_and_went_through/

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
"Due to the gap between books, I had forgotten that this happened at the END of ASOS. In my mind, Jon's been Lord Commander for over ten years -- because that is how long ago that ASOS came out..."

:iceburn:

Wow, I didn't realize GRRM's editor subscribed to The Bad Thread.

Genetic squares
Feb 17, 2009

It's all going square
Isn't she then also the editor that made him cut the battle of meereen and the one of winterfell?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
"Cut" implies that there was content ready to print, versus delaying ADWD yet again while Martin types away on his ancient word processor.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Apparently the editor gave GRRM poo poo over his constant references to Davos's fingerbones being lost in the Black Water, but none for the overuse of nipples on breastplate and bread still hot from the ovens and nuncle?

EDIT: The queen of the rabbits must don her floppy ears ad nauseum

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 11, 2015

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Calaveron posted:

Apparently the editor gave GRRM poo poo over his constant references to Davos's fingerbones being lost in the Black Water, but none for the overuse of nipples on breastplate and bread still hot from the ovens and nuncle?

EDIT: The queen of the rabbits must don her floppy ears ad nauseum

That's probably because he's made it way too obvious that the fingerbones have been/are being/will be used to make a Davos glamour.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

That's probably because he's made it way too obvious that the fingerbones have been/are being/will be used to make a Davos glamour.

Or they are part of Frankengregor, because for some reason Qyburn wanted Frankengregor to have an extra-set of fingers.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Maarak posted:

"Cut" implies that there was content ready to print, versus delaying ADWD yet again while Martin types away on his ancient word processor.

I think it was more the fact that having chapters written from the perspective of three or four different characters across two massive battles would add another 300 or so pages to a book already massively long.

So from what I can gather they're having Jorah and Tyrion end up as slaves but instead of ending up with one of the companies they end up in the fighting pits, or Tyrion just waddles to Danny's side anyway?

I'm trying to figure out what episode 9 will be this year. I know we're getting to see Cersei tramps around in her name day gown and Jon get shanked but I'd expect Jon would be the final fade to black?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

A lot of people are saying episode 9 will be the Meereen/Winterfell battles, or one of them. I think Cersei's walk taking up the bulk of the episode and ending on Jon's stabbage would make a lot more sense. It's way too early in the day for those battles. Maybe Winterfell would make sense given how much of Theon's story they've already covered, but it's still a stretch.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
On the other hand, there's other stuff to do next season. I like the speculation that the Battle of Meereen will be excised altogether, Daznak's serving as the coronation of that storyline.

I think that this season will be similar to S4 rather than S1-3 in setup - there won't be 'an' E9, rather, they will distribute the fun stuff across several episodes.

For example:
E7 - Cersei arrested
E8 - Theon's escape, also that speculated WW attack on the wildings
E9 - Daznak's, some sort of Stannis finale battle, Mercy
E10 - the Walk, For the Watch, Dany on the steppe

Would be fun, wouldn't it?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Steve2911 posted:

A lot of people are saying episode 9 will be the Meereen/Winterfell battles, or one of them. I think Cersei's walk taking up the bulk of the episode and ending on Jon's stabbage would make a lot more sense. It's way too early in the day for those battles. Maybe Winterfell would make sense given how much of Theon's story they've already covered, but it's still a stretch.

Do we have any evidence that they filmed stuff for battles? We know for fact that the Drogon attack is happening, but I don't remember seeing any pictures of stuff from after that, so yeah, Meereen battle ain't happening.

e: If there's no battle at all, maybe Drogon destroys the siege equipment and everyone decides to gently caress off.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 12, 2015

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Lycus posted:

e: If there's no battle at all, maybe Drogon destroys the siege equipment and everyone decides to gently caress off.
What siege equipment?

Victarion isn't in and Qarth isn't in. Most of the sellsword companies aren't in the show. I'm betting that Daario and Hizdahr will return in the first episode and be like, 'Yunkai's settled, too, ma'am' (Hizdahr: Can we get hitched?).

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
Daznack's will be the final scene of ep 10, I'm almost certain, with her flying off as the final shot of the season.

Ep 9 it's tough to say. Kit Harrington mentioned being a part of some massive-scale sequence this season, so maybe they're giving Jon more to do this season. The white-walker attack on the wildings could be that.

Or they do go through with the battle of ice. I mean they've gotta give Stannis something to do this season, right?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I think the pit will be the climax to episode 9 and then you don't see Dany again until the final few moments of episode 10 as she encounters Khal Jhaqo's khalasar. The more I think about it, "for the watch" may not occur until next season. If it happens as a cliffhanger and Jon doesn't stay dead (as is expected) it would be near impossible for them to keep that under wraps which would spoil any surprise. So he's either getting stabbed and revived this season or not until next.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I really think that having a good arc is more important, even if it spoils the surprise - think of the people who will watch all the seasons on DVD after the show run has ended, for example. Then again...

WOTW reported Daznak's to be in 509, so you're probably right on this.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

They could always have a Ned/Rob/Cat flashback and no one would think he was coming back. Or else they would think they were all coming back.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Of course, most readers already don't buy that Jon's really (or permanently) dead, watchers probably wouldn't really be surprised by him cast for S6 either.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

bullet3 posted:

Or they do go through with the battle of ice. I mean they've gotta give Stannis something to do this season, right?

All I need from Stannis is for him to mope around Castle Black being all moody and occasionally immolating people.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Genetic squares posted:

Isn't she then also the editor that made him cut the battle of meereen and the one of winterfell?

I'm a little confused by this, because if I am understanding the reddit link correctly, the Meeren chapters were never submitted to the editor. GRRM has a few "Missing Chapters for X, Y, and Z" inserts, which indicate that chapters were supposed to go there but he wasn't able to finish.

It looks like GRRM was delaying on finishing the book, and given that ten years had passed since the last installment, the editor put her foot down instead of waiting for another 300 pages. Am I understanding correctly?

EDIT: I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to be an editor and have my advice disregarded after listing two dozen instances that "words are wind."

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 12, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

QuoProQuid posted:

I'm a little confused by this, because if I am understanding the reddit link correctly, the Meeren chapters were never submitted to the editor. GRRM has a few "Missing Chapters for X, Y, and Z" inserts, which indicate that chapters were supposed to go there but he wasn't able to finish.

It looks like GRRM was delaying on finishing the book, and given that ten years had passed since the last installment, the editor put her foot down instead of waiting for another 300 pages. Am I understanding correctly?

EDIT: I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to be an editor and have my advice disregarded after listing two dozen instances that "words are wind."

Was this the final draft submitted? It's possible another revision included those chapters.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Every once in a while I'll do a quick google search to see if there is any news about the Winds of Winter release date. Pretty much every time, without fail, the top result is some article from the Christian Today news site that was posted, usually that day, about either a rumor, a confirmed date, or anything else. It just strikes me as odd that somewhere there is someone writing for a Christian news site that feels compelled to write an update piece almost every single day! I'm sure it's just to generate page views, but it still seems very peculiar.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Cross post from the book thread:

A redditor took a trip to a library that had the original manuscript of ADWD and it has some remarks from the editor and GRRM. The editor specifically asks about Coldhands and GRRM answers, so this is as close to wrapping up the who is Coldhands question as we can get unless GRRM changed his mind later. There is some neat stuff in the pictures.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

computer parts posted:

Was this the final draft submitted? It's possible another revision included those chapters.

The draft is apparently almost identical to the final released copy, which suggests that the copy in the Cushing Library was one of the final drafts, if not the final draft.

EDIT: Presence of a missing Jon chapter near the end of the book pretty much confirms what we already know, that Jon is still alive. It also seems to imply that the original plan for A Dance with Dragons was to end with Jon being resurrected.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 12, 2015

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man, GRRM used to talk far more openly and often about book progress on his blog... I check it every week and it's just bullshit football talk, tiny causes he likes and Wild Cards. :(

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

QuoProQuid posted:

The draft is apparently almost identical to the final released copy, which suggests that the copy in the Cushing Library was one of the final drafts, if not the final draft.

EDIT: Presence of a missing Jon chapter near the end of the book pretty much confirms what we already know, that Jon is still alive. It also seems to imply that the original plan for A Dance with Dragons was to end with Jon being resurrected.

There are still a bunch of people in this thread who are like "no way Jon is totally dead because GRRM is into twists!"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

It's like, reverse psychology man! He knows that we know that he knows, so in order to create a twist he has to fake a twist.

Also, airplane fuel does not burn hot enough to melt steel!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Mortabis posted:

There are still a bunch of people in this thread who are like "no way Jon is totally dead because GRRM is into twists!"

At the outset, Martin's goal was to create a fantasy series where people felt genuinely uncertainty about the safety of his protagonists. If there are people worrying that Jon is dead, then Martin has succeeded in his goal. I can understand why there might be some concern and it is difficult for me to fault those people relying on the source material alone. We are, in a way, cheating. I don't think Martin intended for readers to search cast lists to figure out that key plot points are going nowhere (see: Lady Stoneheart), or that a fan would creep on an earlier draft to dispel a popular fan theory. It's obvious that Jon's coming back if you use outside information, but the ideal reader should have none of this information and be at least be a little concerned that he'll stay dead.

EDIT: And while I'm thinking about it, I'll add another point about those missing library chapters. If we consider the missing chapters to have been part of Martin's original plan, then I think A Dance With Dragons becomes a much more satisfying book. The book opens with everything in the shitter, with Jon struggling to maintain order, Tyrion in exile, Meereen in chaos, and ends in a series of triumphant, magic based game-changers: Dany fulfills her prophecy, Jon rises from the dead, Stannis unleashes the power of Azor Azai in the Battle on the Ice, and the dragons are finally freed at Meereen. I think the book was intended to be the culmination of all the talk on magic in earlier books, with cataclysmic supernatural phenomenons manifesting themselves simultaneous at opposite ends of the earth.

For whatever reason, we never got that final pay-off and there's no real climax.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 12, 2015

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Jon being actually dead is dramatically unsatisfying in a way that Ned or Rob or Cat weren't, and would just feel like Martin repeating himself. There's just still stuff left for him to do, and Martin has set up a bunch of ways for him to be revived. It would also be pretty neat if he's our first major post-resurrection POV character. We don't get inside Lady Stoneheart's head, but I bet we do get inside whatever the new Jon Snow will be.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

There's another reason other than not being written that the battles might be missing and that's that they were culled before he gave the manuscript away.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Jon being actually dead is dramatically unsatisfying in a way that Ned or Rob or Cat weren't, and would just feel like Martin repeating himself. There's just still stuff left for him to do, and Martin has set up a bunch of ways for him to be revived. It would also be pretty neat if he's our first major post-resurrection POV character. We don't get inside Lady Stoneheart's head, but I bet we do get inside whatever the new Jon Snow will be.

I tend to agree, for part of the reason that Jon's arc in general is probably one of, if not the most entertaining from start to finish. It's not exactly a new story given it's pretty traditional in the whole unloved dude becomes bad rear end leader of men, but I'm on my third re-read (55% through Storm now) and it's probably the best written arc of any character.

The poo poo happening in the north is far more entertaining than any of the other stuff by the end of the books as they are. It's a shame Gurm isn't closer to having them done, I'm gonna be real frustrated in about two weeks when I finish the series again.

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

BlindSite posted:

There's another reason other than not being written that the battles might be missing and that's that they were culled before he gave the manuscript away.

I tend to agree, for part of the reason that Jon's arc in general is probably one of, if not the most entertaining from start to finish. It's not exactly a new story given it's pretty traditional in the whole unloved dude becomes bad rear end leader of men, but I'm on my third re-read (55% through Storm now) and it's probably the best written arc of any character.

The poo poo happening in the north is far more entertaining than any of the other stuff by the end of the books as they are. It's a shame Gurm isn't closer to having them done, I'm gonna be real frustrated in about two weeks when I finish the series again.

How does Tyrion's arc read a second time? Of all the stories, his is the most geographically expansive. He's been to Winterfell, the Wall, the Riverlands, King's Landing, and all over Essos... Even on my first read through, I felt he had too many "adventures".

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
In my opinion, on subsequent reads, you realize how detestable Tyrion is as a person. On the first read, he comes off favorably because he's someone with a modicum of self-awareness and morality in King's Landing and he's also funny, so you overlook how bad he is because you're naturally comparing him to Joffrey, Cersei, and Tywin. Most people start to hate Tyrion in ADWD, but in reality he was always that unlikable. It's just now he has a shittier attitude and is no longer surrounded by completely evil characters so it's harder to ignore all of his wrongdoings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Brick Card posted:

How does Tyrion's arc read a second time? Of all the stories, his is the most geographically expansive. He's been to Winterfell, the Wall, the Riverlands, King's Landing, and all over Essos... Even on my first read through, I felt he had too many "adventures".

It's good, he's not quite as sympathetic as he is in the show. His travels don't seem that unusual but he does seem to travel easier than anyone else. I realise that he's largely travelling when the kings peace has only just been broken but everyone else can't seem to fart without someone wanting to cut them to bits, but Tyrion seems to skate through. There's the issues with the mountain clans but after he kind of skates but to kings landing.

In It For The Tank posted:

In my opinion, on subsequent reads, you realize how detestable Tyrion is as a person. On the first read, he comes off favorably because he's someone with a modicum of self-awareness and morality in King's Landing and he's also funny, so you overlook how bad he is because you're naturally comparing him to Joffrey, Cersei, and Tywin. Most people start to hate Tyrion in ADWD, but in reality he was always that unlikable. It's just now he has a shittier attitude and is no longer surrounded by completely evil characters so it's harder to ignore all of his wrongdoings.

Yeah he's kind of a lovely person. I wouldn't call him an inherently bad guy but then again I wouldn't call anyone other than a few an inherently lovely human being. You get the benefit of his inner monologue and some of what he does is perfectly justified but there's quite a bit of it that isn't.

He's very much arrogant and automatically assumes the worst of people, sometimes rightly sometimes wrongly and very much advances and protects people for doing the same lovely things he's punished others for doing. For example Everyone cheers for Janos Slynt being sent to the wall, but that dude kind of got a raw deal in the scheme of things. His queen (who he's served for nearly a decade) commands him to take a traitor into custody, his king commands him to hold a man for execution and then he has his noggin lopped off when a 15 year old he's been told is an oath breaking turn cloak gives him a command. He went from a fairly faithful commander of the city watch given advancement for unfaltering servitude to headless, landless and claimless in a short space of time.

Tyrion seems to loathe the kettleblacks for doing exactly what he paid Bronn to do and turfed Pycelle into a black cell for doing what Varys and Baelish did.

I've only just literally re-read the red wedding, but with Tyrion he had more than one chance to take himself out of danger and out of play but ignored those opportunities in an effort to seek more power.

Realistically he could've left kings landing after he recovered from his wounds and returned to Casterly Rock. He knew his father was likely to serve as king's hand for life, Stannis' fleet was broken and he could have taken a ship to lannisport, dropped Shae in an apartment in town and chilled the gently caress out rich for the rest of his days replacing the Lannister captain of the guard with Bronn or some other substitute loyal to his cause. Instead he wanted to stake his claim loudly and stick around, demanded a position (got made master of coin which he hated) and stuck around for Shae and to spite his sister. All the while he spreads his vitriol to those around him and seeks to undermine those around him to his own detriment.

Hell Tywin probably could've wedded him to Sansa anyway and had her delivered to the rock which would've been safer than king's landing anyway.

He knew his sister wanted him gone, knew Joffrey hated him and was risking everything by staying but his arrogance wouldn't allow him to leave.

• Locked thread