Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Magnatux posted:

MM also had playable deku scrub action. That could be good with some leaf and bubble stuff going on.

Lana's spear already kinda covers a lot of that,.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Also Fi has the "spin while running at all times" thing down too. Everyone else did that as Deku Link too right?

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
Today it came to me what will happen; I see this as being very plausible.

Skull Kid will be a character.
His weapon is Majora's Mask.
His Special Attack sends out a wave turning all enemies into Deku Shrubs which then die or are easy to kill.
His Focus Spirit invokes the mask (fully consumes him) and you play as Majora's Wrath and everything dies.

This way he can be unique and not even deal with the moon. Nintendo needs to hire me.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Well, trying to get a good weapon for Darunia is pissing me off. I ran the mission where you get his T2 hammer like four times tonight, with a + stars hammer but still haven't gotten a five star T2 hammer. The closest I got was after making a + stars small potion and using the + stars hammer, which got me a five star T1 hammer. I was not amused.

On the other hand, I do like some of the palette swap costumes I've gotten so far, running around as Purple Link and Princess Hilda is surprisingly fun.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Trying to do Lana's Level 3 summoning gate

Attempt 1: 1,198 kills
Attempt 2: 15:17 time
Attempt 3: 15:02 time

:smithicide:

Ashsaber posted:

Well, trying to get a good weapon for Darunia is pissing me off. I ran the mission where you get his T2 hammer like four times tonight, with a + stars hammer but still haven't gotten a five star T2 hammer. The closest I got was after making a + stars small potion and using the + stars hammer, which got me a five star T1 hammer. I was not amused.

On the other hand, I do like some of the palette swap costumes I've gotten so far, running around as Purple Link and Princess Hilda is surprisingly fun.

I wish the purple link costume got rid of his dumb scarf, or at least made it a different color. The shade of blue doesn't mesh with purple at all.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Ashsaber posted:

The closest I got was after making a + stars small potion and using the + stars hammer, which got me a five star T1 hammer. I was not amused.

Personally (and I dunno if others would agree) I'd probably do it using the Weapon Rank II apothecary mixture, which greatly increases the chance of a high tier weapon dropping, along with a +Stars effect on your hammer.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Twelve by Pies posted:

Personally (and I dunno if others would agree) I'd probably do it using the Weapon Rank II apothecary mixture, which greatly increases the chance of a high tier weapon dropping, along with a +Stars effect on your hammer.

I'd agree actually. A less than perfect Tier 3 weapon is still miles better than a 5-star 4-slot Tier 2 weapon.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Twelve by Pies posted:

Alacron posted:

I'd agree actually. A less than perfect Tier 3 weapon is still miles better than a 5-star 4-slot Tier 2 weapon.

Actually trying to get a T2 Hammer because I need a bit more oomph to beat the mission that gets me the T3 hammer.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm getting back into Hyrule Warriors and slowly working away at the Master Quest map.

What's the trick to these missions where you have to defend multiple keeps that have no health? I'm trying one for Zelda down near the bottom right and I feel like I can't keep up with all the areas I need to cover.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

I'm getting back into Hyrule Warriors and slowly working away at the Master Quest map.

What's the trick to these missions where you have to defend multiple keeps that have no health? I'm trying one for Zelda down near the bottom right and I feel like I can't keep up with all the areas I need to cover.

If they're the ones against a morale boosted enemy army, you don't really defend them (unless you're overleveled, in which case you can manage to keep maybe one or two). For those you just hold out in your base until your army starts getting its own boosts, then you steamroll out of there.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Kaubocks means the ones where the keeps literally have almost no health, and the enemies have almost no health to compensate. It's basically a scramble to kill X captains before the few blobs of enemies walk into a base and kill it in a couple seconds. The ones I've beat only take like one minute if you win (and I guess if you lose as well, heh). I think the trick is to treat it like a puzzle: Which order do you kill the captains in to have enough time to get to all of them in X seconds? I haven't had a problem but it's one of those mission types that is broken by 2-player.

Oh, wait, that's the real trick. Play 2-player on them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

There's no trick. You just kill everything before it can stay too long in a keep. The small enemies will take slightly longer to capture so you can afford to leave them alone if you need to kill a captain right away. Just don't let anything linger in a keep too long and you'll be fine. None of them are difficult, though the later ones do make you run back and forth a bunch.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Kaubocks posted:

Never had a problem with any of those. You prioritize your objectives in the correct order while not being insanely underleveled. If I couldn't get it on the first try then I got it on the second time because I was now aware of the order they attacked my keeps.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The first few I did weren't that hard but there's something about the Zelda one I did that kinda put me off. There was seven targets I needed to take out and they would all just hang out in the corners of Skyloft. I managed to kill one before scrambling to protect all the bases but then I guess another critical target spawned because I saw the counter go back up to seven. Then I lost because the keep on the opposite end of the map of the keep I was in fell and I didn't even notice it was under attack.

I dunno, it's stuff like this and the quizzes that I feel don't live up to the things I like about Musou games which is wanton murder.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Kaubocks posted:

The first few I did weren't that hard but there's something about the Zelda one I did that kinda put me off. There was seven targets I needed to take out and they would all just hang out in the corners of Skyloft. I managed to kill one before scrambling to protect all the bases but then I guess another critical target spawned because I saw the counter go back up to seven. Then I lost because the keep on the opposite end of the map of the keep I was in fell and I didn't even notice it was under attack.

I dunno, it's stuff like this and the quizzes that I feel don't live up to the things I like about Musou games which is wanton murder.

It's about watching the map and the movements of the opposing army, prioritizing your targets and dealing with them in the most efficient way possible. Those maps are teaching you valuable skills that you can take to any other Musou game.

Best advice I can give though is to focus on defense, don't rush out to take down your targets because your keeps will be totally vulnerable.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Holy poo poo why does pretty much every square need me to reveal the enemies? Is there a guide somewhere that tells me where to use what items on the Master Quest map? The only one I saw was on junkies nation but it's super incomplete. I dont want to keep replaying the same stage over and over to stock up on compasses. :(

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

Holy poo poo why does pretty much every square need me to reveal the enemies? Is there a guide somewhere that tells me where to use what items on the Master Quest map? The only one I saw was on junkies nation but it's super incomplete. I dont want to keep replaying the same stage over and over to stock up on compasses. :(

This has been asked so much I figure it should be linked from the OP. Just look up "second quest map" on Google, as aside from the newer items like Digging Mitts (which is obvious) the map is a 1:1 with the second quest in the original LoZ. Second result for me on GIS. This doesn't help for Stepladder locations though, but it helps with so many of the spots that the large amount of compasses you'll get while working through the map should take care of the few annoying spots.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Sick, thanks!

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Just don't be like me. Make sure you check the bottom of the Legend for the meaning behind the different color outlines. Master Quest is stupid interesting because you need stuff like the flute to burn bushes and other weird stuff, and the outline tells you which of the items is the right one.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Hahaha, whooo! Finally after days of effort towards a single goal, I've finally got the Megaton hammer!

Now I'm just down to, uh, seven... more...weapons....

:sigh: Well, Agitha and Zant's seem like they'll be easy enough, I nearly got Zant's first try. But I have no loving clue how to use either of Zelda's weapons effectively, nor Girahim's.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ashsaber posted:

Hahaha, whooo! Finally after days of effort towards a single goal, I've finally got the Megaton hammer!

Now I'm just down to, uh, seven... more...weapons....

:sigh: Well, Agitha and Zant's seem like they'll be easy enough, I nearly got Zant's first try. But I have no loving clue how to use either of Zelda's weapons effectively, nor Girahim's.

Zelda's and Ghirahim's weapons are probably the most complicated ones in the game (which isn't really saying much, since the game is really pretty simple). The rapier is Zelda's most straightforward, but it has two sets of finishers depending on whether or not she has light orbs, and it's not the case that Zelda with orbs is always 100% better than without. Without orbs her finishers are generally better against single targets, and with orbs they're generally better against crowds of mooks. Each set also has one combo that covers its deficiency, so you don't have to sit and burn orbs for a boss or anything. The baton leaves her immobile, but does solid damage and its attacks cover pretty big areas and knock up enemies, so it's not terribly unsafe. The wind finishers will sometimes leave a pink tornado on some enemies, which will power up her strong attack tornado if you hit that enemy with it. The dominion rod is really weird and hard to use, but can hit super hard with the hammer statue. You have to be really familiar with where the statues spawn and hit and their various timings, though.

For Ghirahim, his strong attack marks a target, and that target will get hit and knocked up by an additional sword in most combo enders, so you want to mark bosses and captains. Beyond that, he is generally pretty well rounded, having a combo ender for any particular purpose you'd want. Just be sure to dodge cancel out of his flourishes after combos unless you feel like styling, and you almost never want to summon the bokoblins at the end of his combo 3.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Glad to see the Imprisoned is still terribly unfun to fight.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

chumbler posted:

Zelda's and Ghirahim's weapons are probably the most complicated ones in the game (which isn't really saying much, since the game is really pretty simple). The rapier is Zelda's most straightforward, but it has two sets of finishers depending on whether or not she has light orbs, and it's not the case that Zelda with orbs is always 100% better than without. Without orbs her finishers are generally better against single targets, and with orbs they're generally better against crowds of mooks. Each set also has one combo that covers its deficiency, so you don't have to sit and burn orbs for a boss or anything. The baton leaves her immobile, but does solid damage and its attacks cover pretty big areas and knock up enemies, so it's not terribly unsafe. The wind finishers will sometimes leave a pink tornado on some enemies, which will power up her strong attack tornado if you hit that enemy with it. The dominion rod is really weird and hard to use, but can hit super hard with the hammer statue. You have to be really familiar with where the statues spawn and hit and their various timings, though.

For Ghirahim, his strong attack marks a target, and that target will get hit and knocked up by an additional sword in most combo enders, so you want to mark bosses and captains. Beyond that, he is generally pretty well rounded, having a combo ender for any particular purpose you'd want. Just be sure to dodge cancel out of his flourishes after combos unless you feel like styling, and you almost never want to summon the bokoblins at the end of his combo 3.

Holy poo poo is this useful info for the Rapier and Demon Sword. All I had seen made me think Zelda's Finishers were better with orbs 100% of the time, as I didn't even know she could use her finishers without, and the only thing I know about Girahim's strong attack was that it would send out some crappy low damage slightly homing daggers if you used it consecutively. This is really going to help. Thanks!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't think the dominion rod is that hard to use. I mean, its hard to use and understand what the gently caress you are actually doing, but even just flailing around with it is surprisingly effective. All you really need to realize is that with the statue you can effectively attack two places at once, and then you just smash through entire armies. I'm still not sure what the most optimal use of its weird moveset is, but basically all of the moves seem solid enough that it doesn't really matter.

Also its one of the most hilarious weapons since it juggles enemies endlessly which results in huge balls of corpses flailing through the air. Then you use its awesome A and send them rocketing across the room.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I only started using the Dominion Rod today so I don't have a great understanding of it or anything, but from basic experimentation it feels like the hammer statue is better against large bosses and breaking weak points while the owl statue is better against hordes and general damage. The owl statue actually does better against captains and playable characters if you don't care about hitting weak points, since it moves around so much it can hit enemies from the back and break their guards, plus the S2 is a launcher that most enemies seem to not block.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Ashsaber posted:

Holy poo poo is this useful info for the Rapier and Demon Sword. All I had seen made me think Zelda's Finishers were better with orbs 100% of the time, as I didn't even know she could use her finishers without, and the only thing I know about Girahim's strong attack was that it would send out some crappy low damage slightly homing daggers if you used it consecutively. This is really going to help. Thanks!

The homing daggers are actually really good if you dodge cancel and re summon them over and over. It's great for killing annoying enemies from range.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
The Imprisoned is such a bad choice for a boss enemy, even setting aside the fact it's supposed to be Demise in a 'larval' form trying to escape the Sealed Grounds, adding mini versions of it and having a bunch of them at once and stuff like

there were better bosses from skyward sword

any of them besides the imprisoned

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Excels posted:

The Imprisoned is such a bad choice for a boss enemy, even setting aside the fact it's supposed to be Demise in a 'larval' form trying to escape the Sealed Grounds, adding mini versions of it and having a bunch of them at once and stuff like

The thing is, the single Imprisoned works really well for cinematic reasons in the story mode, but that's kind of a tiny part of the game compared to the vast swathes of Adventure Mode. Like, they've stopped even adding stuff to Legend mode with the TP pack and being clustered into enclosed spaces with a whole bunch of Imprisoned is just annoying.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Excels posted:

Based on user feedback we are removing the Imprisoned and replacing him with Tentalus.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

how about the big golden statue

or like

goddamn i don't know, anything would make more sense than Imprisoned does.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
He's the only reason Ghirahim is even here.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Excels posted:

or like

Yeah Skyward Sword had cool bosses. I just wanted to remind you about Tentalus.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Bloodly posted:

speaking of, how can ghirahim not IMMEDIATELY tell that Ganon is the reincarnation of Demise. like i know he says "you remind me of my own Lord Demise" but uh, pretty sure Ganon IS Demise? or is Ganon like a living curse on Link's descendents or what

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I think Demise is dead dead. Ganondorf is supposed top be his eternal gently caress You to the both of them, not Demise himself.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Excels posted:

speaking of, how can ghirahim not IMMEDIATELY tell that Ganon is the reincarnation of Demise. like i know he says "you remind me of my own Lord Demise" but uh, pretty sure Ganon IS Demise? or is Ganon like a living curse on Link's descendents or what

He's the cooler, metal dad version of Demise, so Ghiranim isn't sure if he's the same, because he's so much cooler.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Excels posted:

or like

Koloktos, who is probably my favorite boss in the whole Zelda series. That fight is so fun and makes you feel like a total badass.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Koloktos is cool, but he and the Imprisoned are the two who would actually make me lose significant amounts of hearts during the boss run in which you're not allowed to use bottles, so I look upon him with fury. :argh:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Bloodly posted:

I enjoy playing as Ghirahim but I would gladly axe him if it meant I never had to fight the Imprisoned ever again. It's such a slog. It has massive pools of health AND you can only ever take off half of its weak point at a time. It takes foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Ghirahim is one of the characters that I know is cool but I never use because there are like six cooler Dark characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I should really spend more time playing characters that aren't Ganondorf, Cia, Ruto, and Impa.

• Locked thread