Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

I was laughing my rear end off driving home down barlow onto 17th SE and me and about five other cars were held up at a light as a civic struggled to get up a 10 degree hill and nearly slipped back into the car behind it. Never change Forest Lawn...

I came out of my house yesterday and heard a Mazda 3 spinning tires trying to make it up the hill in front of my house. Eventually he slinks backward onto the sidewalk, turns around and goes back.

I get to the curb, and all I can smell is clutch. He was like 10 houses away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The thing about not driving to work is I forgot to get the snow tires on. Gotta get on that :v:

(Actually I haven't had any problems with the all-seasons driving around today [slow down!] but I already own the winter tires, may as well get them on. It may be low rent, but my old Escape is good in the snow.)

Unrelatedly, when looking at possibly sporty sedans for the future almost every god drat thing sold around here is AWD. I want RWD you bastards. :smith:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Just give in and fall into the sweet embrace of Subaru

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

I was laughing my rear end off driving home down barlow onto 17th SE and me and about five other cars were held up at a light as a civic struggled to get up a 10 degree hill and nearly slipped back into the car behind it. Never change Forest Lawn...

I saw a lineup of cars on my way home taking turns trying to make it up the barely noticeable incline (a little less than that bit of Barlow I'd guess) of 39th street SE, off Memorial. loving :lol:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Today I saw some shithead driving his Protege down Stoney, doing 40 or so (when everyone else was safely doing double that) with his 4-way flashers on and a right rear wheel that had clearly lost a battle with a curb. I honked at him as I went by, seeing as his not only was his vehicle totally unroadworthy, but he was endangering everyone else at the same time. Get this though; the fuckhead took exception to that and followed me to the gym! Needless to say, I took his plate and went to the police station and filed a report after that.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Stoney trail has already lost the battle with frost heaves. The last thing we need is some shitheel's rim digging up pavement on it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Tommychu posted:

I saw a lineup of cars on my way home taking turns trying to make it up the barely noticeable incline (a little less than that bit of Barlow I'd guess) of 39th street SE, off Memorial. loving :lol:

See these examples of sound decisions from Lethbridge a couple weeks ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpJ16qbqH-I

Sad thing is, we didn't even really have snow until last week.

Powershift posted:

Well, as a back-up, there's a mark V with a $2000 reserve too.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1979-lincoln-continental-mark-v/1042320496?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

gas IS getting cheap again, afterall.

Meh, even so that car needs work. These have been listed for some time for $2900 and I bet if a guy offered either of them $2K you'd get it.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/lethbridge/1981-ford-lincoln-mark-vi/1023028794?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/lethbridge/reduced-1974-classic-lincoln-mark-4/1028088672?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I've always been leary of auctions, especially if it's more a $1K. I mean, I'm not piss poor broke but I'm always scared to take the chance :ohdear:

DrakeriderCa posted:

Just give in and fall into the sweet embrace of Subaru
Yes.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You can even replace your own car if you drive anywhere near it when the thousands of NE residents are jockeying for position in order to pay over blue book for a 20 year old Civic.

Oh, I sold my Canyon last week. It stopped starting, so on Kijiji it went just past midnight. First thing next morning someone bought it sight unseen over the phone. No, really.

A guy from SK showed up with a trailer, gave me cash, tried to start it but the engine went POP and sounded very different afterwards. So the guy single handedly muscled the Canyon onto the trailer with a couple of chains, never seen that done before. The easiest car sale in my life.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
They don't drink Vico because they like it.

What's your next mistake investment going to be? There's an '01 Civic Si here with severe frame damage from excessive lowering.

weapons grade retard posted:

Vehical runs but should not be driven. Lowered suspension has caused gradual frame damage over the years. Rear cradle bent forward into control arm and has cracked transmission.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

They don't drink Vico because they like it.

What's your next mistake investment going to be? There's an '01 Civic Si here with severe frame damage from performance modifications to the suspension.

Fixed it for you.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Someone should give this guy $1K (maybe less?) and buy his Subaru as a winter beater. In BC but Alta reg. Pretty high K, but looks clean as hell and new clutch.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1997-subaru-legacy-wagon/1037602415?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

e: Maybe not clean as hell, but pretty good.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 7, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sorry, but trolling kijiji found another one. $12K Maserati.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2003-maserati-coupe-cambiocorsa-coupe-2-door/1028429356?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

quote:

For Sale is a NON-RUNNING Maserati Coupe.

The car was lent to a friend, and had coolant placed inside the oil reservoir. I'm no mechanic, so I'm not sure what the work entails, but my understanding is a light engine rebuild. Also has minor-medium hail damage from the dealership where it was sitting when this happened. The hail is not severe, and could be done by one of the paintless dent shops or if you're handy yourself!

This is a great winter project, and you wont be dissapointed when you're done.

It's fully loaded with paddle shift and 390HP to boot!

Serious offers only please. Feel free to ask any questions.

If you could get away with re-bearing it and a sucker for punishment, it might almost be worthwhile tackling. If the motor doesn't even turn over, whelp.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

What's your next mistake investment going to be? There's an '01 Civic Si here with severe frame damage from excessive lowering.

Kastein makes them look easy:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2003-maserati-coupe-cambiocorsa-coupe-2-door/1028429356?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

If you could get away with re-bearing it and a sucker for punishment, it might almost be worthwhile tackling. If the motor doesn't even turn over, whelp.

The transmissions in those things were garbage too. You'd probably do better to swap out the whole drivetrain.

maybe a f22c or wankel, just piss everybody off.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

iv46vi posted:

Kastein makes them look easy:

Jesus Christ. It's sinking into the swamp, it's bleeding rust, and it's got an "engine gasket problem." What is there not to love?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

Stoney trail has already lost the battle with frost heaves. The last thing we need is some shitheel's rim digging up pavement on it.

It is truly unbelievable just how bad our roads are. Even though I probably know the answer to this, I wonder just how many shortcuts have been taken in road construction here in Calgary in the last decade or so. I mean, look at any road made in that timeframe; the surface is all cracked and deteriorating and there are frost heaves the size of speed bumps loving everywhere...you don't see that in older roads typically (which are falling apart more due to poor maintenance).

I guess this is where the Alberta AdvantageTM pays off, right?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

slidebite posted:

See these examples of sound decisions from Lethbridge a couple weeks ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpJ16qbqH-I

The guy at the end in the blue pickup truck who nearly nails a crashed Corolla is the best part.

"WHOS loving CAR IS THIS? Get it the gently caress out of there"

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

iv46vi posted:

Oh, I sold my Canyon last week. It stopped starting, so on Kijiji it went just past midnight. First thing next morning someone bought it sight unseen over the phone. No, really.

A guy from SK showed up with a trailer, gave me cash, tried to start it but the engine went POP and sounded very different afterwards. So the guy single handedly muscled the Canyon onto the trailer with a couple of chains, never seen that done before. The easiest car sale in my life.

He's from Saskatchewan - normal procedure is
A. Use the truck! Chevy, Ford, Dodge (and more recently Toyota). If the first one gets stuck, get another one and pull on that. Obligatory Corb Lund Video
B. Use a tractor! Go to the nearest farm, get the tractor, pull.
C. Don't have another truck, don't have a tractor? Grab them chains and Git 'Er Done!
and finally
D. Die of old age at the ripe old age of 66. Blame the bank.

slidebite posted:

quote:

a light engine rebuild
Better idea: buy it, ship it to Seattle, give it to 13" and watch the fireworks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

+10 in Lethbridge today :supaburn:

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

slidebite posted:

+10 in Lethbridge today :supaburn:

-14 in Edmonton today and we had freezing rain yesterday....

Is diesel under $1.00/L anywhere in the province yet?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

neckbeard posted:

$1.01/l today in Edmonton

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

neckbeard posted:

Gasbuddy.com shows Diesel getting under $1 in various places in Edmonton, with one outlier Petro Canada on 127th @ 93.9

It's still something like 1.15 in Lethbridge.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

These gas prices are wonderful i filled up for $39 in edmonton this morning, and will get 600km out of the tank.

It's a shame the exchange rate is offsetting the fuel price drop at the grocery store. I only took a hand basket, how the gently caress is that $150 worth of poo poo?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

It's a shame the exchange rate is offsetting the fuel price drop at the grocery store. I only took a hand basket, how the gently caress is that $150 worth of poo poo?

You live in Alberta, and you don't have a "I :love: ALBERTA BEEF" bumpersticker? You're buying imported food instead of supporting lifted-pickup-driving Canadian farmers? What kind of pinko are you?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

These gas prices are wonderful i filled up for $39 in edmonton this morning, and will get 600km out of the tank.

If you're getting groceries, you should go get this $600 Volvo that was just posted, immediately:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/red-deer/today-only-thursday/1043794467?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

quote:

1986 Volvo 240DL. Today only! Cash. Good, solid car. Needs a bit of TLC. But needs to be towed off condo lot for plowing. Today! Minor body damage. Very little rust. Runs well, except it needs a battery. Interior like new. Great car for a young guy. Located in Red Deer Leave message at 403-318-4548. Must go today.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

neckbeard posted:

The natives are selling diesel for .979 at the Tsuu Tina station.

UnFriendly Fire
Jun 19, 2003
not friendly
79.9 for premium. So good and yet so poo poo for my work.

My road has frozen into a lumpy mess that would work well as a moon rover testing ground. I'm guessing the current Strathcona county plan is to just let it melt by June.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

UnFriendly Fire posted:

79.9 for premium. So good and yet so poo poo for my work.

My road has frozen into a lumpy mess that would work well as a moon rover testing ground. I'm guessing the current Strathcona county plan is to just let it melt by June.

Still 102.9 in NE Ontario, give me your cheap Albertan dino-juice :)

And our roads are horrible. So very, very horrible. So much glassy-ice.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
So this morning it was -18, the roads are pretty much pure ice and I see a guy driving a Merc C63 AMG, gently caress yeah

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Anyone have a late 90s /early 2000s Nissan pathfinder around here?

Is the 4x4 any good or is it purely for suburban poseurs? I mean I don't need to drive across Kazakhstan or anything, but farm fields and snow drifts are a little hard on my Hyundai hatchback.

I'm looking for an occasional winter commuter and hunting / backpacking camping truck, wondering if that would be a good choice for our part of the world.

It's hard to find the right truck for this job, I'd love a 3/4 or 1 ton 4x4, but it's hard to justify that when I already have the 2wd f150.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I seem to recall that VelociBacon has one in Vancouver, and he takes it up to Whistler or the Interior at least some of the time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

A friend of mine used to have one and it was a decent 4x4. Not as nice of a vehicle as a 4-Runner but it still had a decent chassis. I seem to recall they suffered from cancer pretty badly... as in even worse than you'd think.

Maybe a 90s outback? A little higher clearance than the legacy so as long as you aren't needing low range they're not that bad.

Comedy option: That Iltis I linked to in Craigs Gold. :haw:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah get a Subaru. They are cheap in the summer, expensive now. Foresters have up to 8.5" of ground clearance and more with King springs, I think Outbacks are similar but a little lower.

I've wanted to get a cheap XJ for awhile, but have no excuse for one. I think you are a perfect candidate to do so. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1991-jeep-cherokee-sport-suv-crossover/1043908106

Pathies are nice but they rust like whoa.

Comedy option: This non-running Celica turbo-swapped RAV4. I bet you can ditch the 18s and go with steelies and make most of that money back. I have turbo MR2 friends that can probably source a replacement engine. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1997-toyota-rav4-4-door-suv-crossover/1042653704

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 10, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I've wanted to get a cheap XJ for awhile, but have no excuse for one. I think you are a perfect candidate to do so. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1991-jeep-cherokee-sport-suv-crossover/1043908106

Thats probably a decent buy even if there is an issue with the front diff. Body looks shockingly good although it might be a 30 foot-er.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

slidebite posted:

Comedy option: That Iltis I linked to in Craigs Gold. :haw:

Iltises are fine as long as there aren't any American F-16s around being flown by tweaked up pilots.

(actually no they're not...a Volkswagen design hammered together by French Canadians? Yeesh)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

Iltises are fine as long as there aren't any American F-16s around being flown by tweaked up pilots.

(actually no they're not...a Volkswagen design hammered together by French Canadians? Yeesh)

Don't Iltises also rust like loving crazy (and are renowned in the CF for their ability to kill their drivers)?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

As long as your not running over some IPEs in the Edmonton area, it's not going to be any more of a deathtrap than any other small 70s designed vehicle.

But what you really want is a Ferret, they come up from time to time too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Oh right, they're not the kills-privates-because-hard-to-drive variety of lethal vehicle, they're the doesn't-do-poo poo-against-IEDs variety.

That said, I still wouldn't drive it to Edmonton.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

As long as your not running over some IPEs in the Edmonton area, it's not going to be any more of a deathtrap than any other small 70s designed vehicle.

But what you really want is a Ferret, they come up from time to time too.

I am loving this idea. Where can I find these? Never seen them listed on that government liquidations site (or anything else worthwhile either...).

Switch, that jeep, god drat man, it actually looks pretty decent. I can see the rust on the doors and the rear quarters, but it really doesn't look that bad, all things considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Iltis are garbage.

Not everything Bombardier touched with a defence contract was garbage though. I have a Bombardier version of the m35a2 and its decent.