Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

Niggurath posted:

It seems there are a few options of getting the game to run in windowed mode; have you tried any of those hackey things? Also have you tried any other programs to record the game like Fraps?

Since the game runs through Origin, I haven't found a way to get the hacks to work for windowed mode.

I haven't tried fraps yet, I'll give it a try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

So I have a bit of a problem recording Red Alert 2. At this point, it seems unrecordable.

I'm using OBS, but the game only runs in full screen, and the resolutions are odd. It doesn't show up in the Game Capture option, and when I try monitor or window capture, it basically records into the upper left corner. I've tried stretching it out in post editing, but because its an older game, it makes it look like crap.

Any suggestions?

Are you running OBS in admin mode? OBS doesn't detect some games with Game Capture for me unless you explicitly run it as an administrator.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
http://blog.obelisk.ro/2010/09/resolution-fix-for-red-alert-2-yuris.html

This might help you fix the resolution issue.

and this might help fix the best mission in the game: http://forums.revora.net/topic/83325-hollywood-vain-original-voices-help/

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
one of the things you can do since the game is only showing up in the upper left of your obs window is to try cropping to the section of the window to where you think the game is going t show up. It will take some work and a bit of guesstimation but if done right you should be able to crop to your window capture to where the game window shows up and then enlarge it from there. I had to do this for a game that did this same thing a while back and that's how I got around it.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale
Alright, i got something close to a good capture, or at least something that won't look awful when edited. Thanks for the help!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm trying to import an image and have it fade in on top of a clip. I've produced the following:

code:
LoadPlugin("D:\Programs\AvsPmod\tools\ffms2-2.18-rc1\x86\ffms2.dll")

clip1 = Trim(FFVideoSource("S:\Elgato\Destiny - Came in like a destiny wrecking ball - 2015-01-10 21-13-44.mp4"),1507,2424)
clip1_1 = Trim(clip1, 0, 674)
clip1_2 = Trim(clip1, 675, 918)
clip2 = FadeIn(ImageSource("D:\Pictures\reaction\1362441296642.jpg", end=918-675, use_Devil=true, pixel_type = "RGB32", fps = FrameRate(clip1)), 100)
clipOverlay = Overlay(clip1_2, clip2, 0,0, mask=showalpha(clip2))
Now, I've noticed something extremely strange. clip1 is 918 frames long. clip1_1 + clip1_2 is 918 frames long. clip1_1 + clipOverlay is 918 frames long.

clip1_1 + Overlay(clip1_2, clip2, 0,0, mask=showalpha(clip2)) is 1161 frames long. It seems to "extend" clip1_2, as though it were starting several frames earlier. The result is that there is an obvious jump, where the last half second or so of clip1_1 gets repeated before going into the overlay proper. Any idea what causes this behavior?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Note that 1161 is 918 + (918-675), which is what you specify for "end" of the ImageSource.
What is the length of just clip2 ?
How does clipOverlay look by itself?

Try doing it a different way, perhaps:
code:
clip1 = Trim(FFVideoSource("S:\Elgato\Destiny - Came in like a destiny wrecking ball - 2015-01-10 21-13-44.mp4"),1507,2424)
imgclip1 = Overlay(clip1, ImageReader("D:\Pictures\reaction\1362441296642.jpg", end=FrameCount(clip1), fps=FrameRate(clip1)), 0, 0)
return Dissolve(Trim(clip1, 0, 774), Trim(imgclip1, 675, 0), 100)

salttotart
Mar 29, 2010

What's my favorite thing?
What does everyone use for the video component for real-time co-commentary? In the past I would either stream the gameplay or record all of the commentary in post. However, streaming it makes part of the commentary delayed (and public so anyone could be watching) and the other is not at all real time. I know that there will always be some amount of delay because the video does have to go through the internet, but there has to be a better option than 15-30 seconds of it.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
I threw what I think is the original script into avisynth with blankclip substitutes and didn't have any issues with the clip becoming longer. Maybe there's more stuff going on than we're aware of? Maybe it's a bug with ffms2 somehow idk.

If you continue to have problems or just want to figure out what the hell was going on, you could put .info() on the end of where you load your clip originally - that will bake in some subs that include, among other things, the frame number of that clip before it gets edited around and such like. That should be able to be used to work out which frames are doubling up somehow, why is another story though. Note that it will always say eg 917 of 918 frames, ie one less, for the last frame. Here's the 'version' of your code I tested with:

code:
clip1 = Trim(blankclip(10000,color = $888888,fps = 30),1507,2424).info()

clip1_1 = Trim(clip1, 0, 674)
clip1_2 = Trim(clip1, 675, 918)
clip2 = FadeIn(ImageSource("test.png", end=918-675, use_Devil=true, pixel_type = "RGB32", fps = FrameRate(clip1)), 100)
clipOverlay = Overlay(clip1_2, clip2, 0,0, mask=showalpha(clip2))

clip1_1 + Overlay(clip1_2, clip2, 0,0, mask=showalpha(clip2))
Also you should probably use layer instead of overlay - overlay can do weird stuff to your video's colours. Also, while fade in will work, it will also fade the RGB channels as well as the Alpha channel, so the effect is unideal as your clip will fade in from a transparent black, rather than a transparent version of your image. You could do something like trim your clip down, store it, and do something like my_clip = my_clip.mask(FadeIn(my_clip.showalpha(),100)), which separate out the alpha channel, fade it, and layer it back in, but dissolve will also do this and is easier to write for a one off. I think dissolve is supposed to be more intensive or something, then again maybe layer is too, but if you have to layer a lot of things and out then it's way less complicated to prep your overlaid clips in advance than deal with having a bunch of dissolves in/out. I would write that out but it looks like nielsm's basically already got you covered in this case.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

salttotart posted:

What does everyone use for the video component for real-time co-commentary? In the past I would either stream the gameplay or record all of the commentary in post. However, streaming it makes part of the commentary delayed (and public so anyone could be watching) and the other is not at all real time. I know that there will always be some amount of delay because the video does have to go through the internet, but there has to be a better option than 15-30 seconds of it.

If I wanna do something live on consoles, then I'd probably stream over hitbox because the delay isn't too terrible. If it's something being played on PC though, then Skype screen share is perfect for the job if you can get Voicemeeter working to stream the audio too because there's like 2 seconds tops of lag.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
live commentary solution:

hitbox + mumble's built in recording feature

delay does not matter unless 1. you are using twitch or 2. you are playing co op but the other person can look at their game instead so whatever.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Pardon but I'm having some trouble with rightload tonight. I'm trying to update my CYOA and every time I try to upload the files to Lpix it stalls after the first one, the timer counting up endlessly but no progress being made. Then when I cancel the upload it crashes, and no files were uploaded.

I've tried what I can think of and am out of ideas- help! I don't want to miss a day's update!

Edit- I guess I can still upload them one at a time at the Lpix site, so I'm not totally sunk. But I'm still curious why Rightload is malfunctioning, and insight would be greatly appreciated.

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 12, 2015

Sternieliscious
Sep 21, 2014

Dynas: Tea warrior
I have a fun issue. I'm toying with Voicemeeter to route my headset to Skype for audio balance. I've followed the online manual to link the correct audio sources but whenever I try to talk I get complaints of my voice echoing. I even set up a second computer in a Skype call to hear myself to try and balance the mic. Even after self balancing I get echo complaints from others. Thoughts?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Do you do conference calls?

Sternieliscious
Sep 21, 2014

I think so. Typically I'm in a call with two others.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sternieliscious posted:

I think so. Typically I'm in a call with two others.
Echo may go not from you then. Other than that, I'd try recording samples in Audacity with some podcast on in your headphones/headset at Skype call volume to see if, maybe, sound leaks or something.

Sternieliscious
Sep 21, 2014

I'm liable to agree with you. I just did an audacity test with the same audio routing I'd have for Skype and came out fine. I tried adjusting my gains with a video playing not routed to output and my voice was normal. Adjusting with a video routed picked up on the video audio and my voice. I have yet to hear this echo today. I may need to experiment more when in a call since the echo only occurs when I route Voicemeeter and not directly my mic.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
Alright, I am asking for some extreme help here. I need someone to walk me through, step by step of getting my raw .M2TS files encoded into the proper format. I have been using nothing but Sony Vegas and it has been working okay up until I just recently re-installed everything on my computer because now I can't get Sony Vegas to encode into true HD.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Do I have to just get used to videos looking darker and kind of blah compared to the actual game? I'm using OBS and I don't think I'm using a poo poo bitrate (started at 5000 and started cranking it up higher and higher just to see, I'm at about 20k now I think) the game just doesn't look as good. Here's a 16 second sample just to know if I'm just being overly critical because this is my first time seeing it from this side of the chair. Maybe I could fix it a little bit in editing?

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 13, 2015

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

jayman52 posted:

Alright, I am asking for some extreme help here. I need someone to walk me through, step by step of getting my raw .M2TS files encoded into the proper format. I have been using nothing but Sony Vegas and it has been working okay up until I just recently re-installed everything on my computer because now I can't get Sony Vegas to encode into true HD.

From the OP: From HD-PVR to Dual Audio LP Video, a semi-comprehensive guide. Dunno if you're using the PVR, but it also records poo poo as .M2TS. Just need to adjust as you go, such as doing a lossless encode in the middle to then import into Vegasdon't use vegas imo. I should maybe add a note about working with that file format in the description to the guide.

Zeratanis fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 13, 2015

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
I'm trying to apply an Aegisub .rear end file to an mp4 movie file and it looks like both VirtualDub and Avisyth do not like mp4 files. Is there some other program I can use that will apply .rear end files to .mp4 or should i try to convert my .mp4 into something VirtualDub can use?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Avisynth just needs the right plugin to load whatever video you want.

But use FFMS2 for everything, it tends to work the best.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah, you can use FFMS2 to load an MP4 into AVISynth, then you can just use the textsub thing or whatever to overlay a sub file onto your video.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Yeah, you can use FFMS2 to load an MP4 into AVISynth, then you can just use the textsub thing or whatever to overlay a sub file onto your video.

Okay, so how am I supposed to use FFMS2? There doesn't seem to be an executable. Am I supposed to "loadplugin()" in AviSynth or something?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Jagged Jim posted:

Okay, so how am I supposed to use FFMS2? There doesn't seem to be an executable. Am I supposed to "loadplugin()" in AviSynth or something?

Yes. Then just call FFMpegSource2(VideoPath) or something.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

Ah, that explains it, I was still trying to use "AviSource()" Thanks.

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
How do you merge two audio channels from a dxtory file into one? Using shift+g in premiere to make both channels play in mono doesn't work. I'm stumped and just want to put my arma missions on the internet. Thank you everyone.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Two audio channels or two audio tracks? Why do you need to merge them in either case if you're using Premiere? The final export will mix them into a single track.

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
Right. Well what's frustrating me is I can only hear the game audio when I import it into premiere. I can't find any way to listen to both channels at all. But when I open the raw recording I can hear both.

I have dxtory set to record my speaker codec and microphone codec since I'm on a laptop. And like I said I know both streams are recording.

Maybe I don't understand how dxtory records audio?

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
Which media player are you watching the raw video with?

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
Windows media player.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

leekster posted:

Windows media player.
Get out. More seriously, please download MPC HC or MPC BE. WMP is fairly awful.

leekster
Jun 20, 2013

kalstrams posted:

Get out. More seriously, please download MPC HC or MPC BE. WMP is fairly awful.

Did this and now I have the problem I have with premiere. Just game audio.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

leekster posted:

Did this and now I have the problem I have with premiere. Just game audio.

This might be a stupid idea but, have you tried importing the raw video into Audacity/Other audio editor and have it import all the tracks, then merge them from there?

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
Testing. Will let you know how it goes. Thank you for the help everyone.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So I was wondering if anyone in here with Aegisub knowledge might know of a way to keep a subtitle position, that isn't the default position, in that program. Currently having to copy and paste the new position into every subtitle is a bit tedious and I assumed it'd be something you could change as a default in the program.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Position, as in distance from bottom/top of screen?
You can change the margins in the Style Editor. You can also change the alignment to another edge, corner or the center.
And you can make multiple styles as appropriate.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Niggurath posted:

So I was wondering if anyone in here with Aegisub knowledge might know of a way to keep a subtitle position, that isn't the default position, in that program. Currently having to copy and paste the new position into every subtitle is a bit tedious and I assumed it'd be something you could change as a default in the program.

You can save it as a profile. I'm not entirely sure where though since I don't have ready access to Aegisub, but there's a place where you can configure a position profile.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

nielsm posted:

Position, as in distance from bottom/top of screen?
You can change the margins in the Style Editor. You can also change the alignment to another edge, corner or the center.
And you can make multiple styles as appropriate.
It's more of a specific X,Y position rather than just general alignment, so the 9 positions they have in the styles manager isn't really too helpful.

ChaosArgate posted:

You can save it as a profile. I'm not entirely sure where though since I don't have ready access to Aegisub, but there's a place where you can configure a position profile.
I'll try to look into this to see if maybe there's something in there. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Niggurath posted:

It's more of a specific X,Y position rather than just general alignment, so the 9 positions they have in the styles manager isn't really too helpful.

I'll try to look into this to see if maybe there's something in there. Thanks.

There is no such thing as a "position profile", but there are the margins in styles. Those definitely control the distance from picture edge to the text, letting you (somewhat indirectly) position things.