Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
So what is everyone picking for their clan for the prerelease? Can't really go by khans prerelease (where Abzan was king) since the majority of packs are FRF cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Going to be tough not going Temur 'cause they're my favourite, thematically, but I might have to go Mardu.

edit: I'm looking forward to Orc Sureshot + Dash. Hopefully I'll be able to take advantage of that.

odiv fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 9, 2015

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
alesha rebuys nacatl, kird ape, and knight of the reliquary :O

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Boy of Joy posted:

So what is everyone picking for their clan for the prerelease? Can't really go by khans prerelease (where Abzan was king) since the majority of packs are FRF cards.

Something with blue, as usual.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Based on the FRF spoilers I'm imagining Jeskai.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The red in this set looks very powerful, or at least a couple of the cards like Collateral Damage, Flamewake Phoenix, and Mardu Scout look it.

I really, really want to see somebody do what looks like the most Red Thing in Standard right now.

Which is respond to Anger of the Gods with Arcbond.

"So, that'll take 3, and everything else on the board takes 6. Oh, and we both get bolted. Neat."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

The red in this set looks very powerful, or at least a couple of the cards like Collateral Damage, Flamewake Phoenix, and Mardu Scout look it.

I really, really want to see somebody do what looks like the most Red Thing in Standard right now.

"So, that'll take 3, and everything else on the board takes 6. Oh, and we both get bolted. Neat."

With Dictate of the Twin Gods out. :getin: That creature takes 6, players take 12, other creatures take 18.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Boy of Joy posted:

Either Mardu or Jeskai, don't really care what the cards I just want to play RW :shobon:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Count Bleck posted:

Arcbond plays well with RG bees as a boardwipde as well.

Block with a bee, Arcbond to kill everything including your hornet's nest that makes more bees in the process.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 9, 2015

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Love this art

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Rinkles posted:

Love this art

Haha, can't believe we waited a set for an old monk laughing and hitting a young monk with a stick.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I'm having a lot of trouble imagining what Fate Reforged is supposed to play like on its own. I may just go Abzan again because Harsh Sustenance and Grim Contest are both so awesome.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I feel like Fates is filled with bombs. I think taking the mana fixing in the 2 khans packs is going to be really important so you stay open to splashing the off color bombs you open in fates.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Wadjamaloo posted:

I feel like Fates is filled with bombs. I think taking the mana fixing in the 2 khans packs is going to be really important so you stay open to splashing the off color bombs you open in fates.

It's drafted FRF-KTK-KTK.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I played an opponent in an 8-man today who had a a Dark Confidant on the table; I'm at 4 life and he's at 2. He attacks with the Confidant alone into a much bigger blocker (I think it was a Rhino for me and a Goyf on his side) which I decline, and just hope he dies to the Confidant next turn since he had a Goyf up to block my Rhino. For some reason, he then casts another Confidant post combat. I immediately pass and he immediately dies to the first Confidant trigger. I have no clue why you'd cast a second Dark Confidant if you were aware enough to suicide attack with the first Confidant to try and avoid dying to it. :iiam:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lunsku posted:

It's drafted FRF-KTK-KTK.

Not only that, the set doesn't look particularly bomb-heavy to me, although bomb is a poorly defined term.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Wadjamaloo posted:

The color fixing lands are in Fate Reforged also.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Angry Grimace posted:

I have no clue why you'd cast a second Dark Confidant if you were aware enough to suicide attack with the first Confidant to try and avoid dying to it. :iiam:

Maybe he didn't know he's allowed to concede :v:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Angry Grimace posted:

I played an opponent in an 8-man today who had a a Dark Confidant on the table; I'm at 4 life and he's at 2. He attacks with the Confidant alone into a much bigger blocker (I think it was a Rhino for me and a Goyf on his side) which I decline, and just hope he dies to the Confidant next turn since he had a Goyf up to block my Rhino. For some reason, he then casts another Confidant post combat. I immediately pass and he immediately dies to the first Confidant trigger. I have no clue why you'd cast a second Dark Confidant if you were aware enough to suicide attack with the first Confidant to try and avoid dying to it. :iiam:

I suppose it makes sense if he figured you were likely to have a second creature and thought he could survive both triggers.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Hopping Ghost posted:

Maybe he didn't know he's allowed to concede :v:

Technically he would win if both Confidant triggers brought up land since the Goyf and both Confidants had enough power to kill me. But it was a stalemate otherwise, so I don't know why you'd be the game on a 2 Confidant triggers turning up a total of 1 CMC.

Rinkles posted:

Love this art

Apparently she learned something from that old man.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 10, 2015

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Mercury Crusader posted:

It's basically a modal version of this:

Untapping your own creatures and giving them haste in addition to taking your opponent's creatures isn't a new thing.

I'm still bitter about my EDH playgroup banning Insurrection just because I was the only one playing it and they're all babies.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'm still bummed they haven't reprinted Relentless Assault as a Mardu card.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Wadjamaloo posted:

I dunno about "bombs" but the fact that there are 5 4/4 flyers with upside for 6 across all colors at uncommon is definitely big/possibly annoying.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What is it with Sultai and awful defenders?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Kills a dragon, which looks to be pretty important in this limited environment.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Rinkles posted:

I think it's supposed to be a contrast to Sagu Archer or something.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Just you wait, Warmonger's Chariot is gonna be in DOK

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Back when we were talking about strange flavor text a few months ago, I mentioned that this card was still limited playable after all these years. Someone at Wizards is following my account. :tinfoil:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Back when we were talking about strange flavor text a few months ago, I mentioned that this card was still limited playable after all these years. Someone at Wizards is following my account. :tinfoil:

I totally missed this reprint. Is it anywhere near being Standard playable? I wanna rock some Legends ones.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

I totally missed this reprint. Is it anywhere near being Standard playable? I wanna rock some Legends ones.

Probably not. It's too slow of an answer to fast, low down decks, and doesn't hit hard enough for the midrange ones. It's a fantastic limited card though!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

Probably not. 4R is prohibitively expensive when Arc Lightning can barely get a word in as it is.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Pyrotechnics is cool and all but you know what would really rock is Pyrokinesis

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Is there a separate thread for Tiny Leaders deck discussion? That format has started exploding at my LGS and it actually seems fun.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Entropic posted:

1)
that flavor text is so loving boss
2) not Standard, but in Limited the best comparison to this card is Cone of Flame and we all know how absurd that is.

deftest
May 7, 2011
I'm looking at picking up playsets of Soulfire Grand Master and Monastery Mentor at ~$100 each (The Mentors are a little more than the Grand Masters, but shipping etc. just about makes up the difference)

Anybody have any insight on those numbers? I figure I want to play with them. I wouldn't hate waiting a little while for them to drop, but I worry they'll go up before then. What do you all think?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

deftest posted:

I'm looking at picking up playsets of Soulfire Grand Master and Monastery Mentor at ~$100 each (The Mentors are a little more than the Grand Masters, but shipping etc. just about makes up the difference)

Anybody have any insight on those numbers? I figure I want to play with them. I wouldn't hate waiting a little while for them to drop, but I worry they'll go up before then. What do you all think?

I would light a hundred dollar bill on fire before I spent it on a playset of Soulfire Grand Master. Mentor will drop down to ~$15-18. Masters will be in the dollar bin in a month.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
grandmaster is v bad and mentor is solid

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I don't know how this set's going to effect constructed yet but I am definitely getting a few pieces for my cube.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Is there a separate thread for Tiny Leaders deck discussion? That format has started exploding at my LGS and it actually seems fun.

We've been talking about it in the Commander thread. I know I'm looking forward to giving Shu Yun a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

deftest posted:

Pre-ordering cards is almost never a good idea, and I don't think Monastery Mentor is going to buck that trend. Soulfire Mentor certainly won't. Wait a month or two to pick them up and send me whatever money you save :v:

• Locked thread