Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

HUMAN FISH posted:

The worst Mario game takes 3.5 hours? holy moly

Sunshine owns you shut your mouth :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

HUMAN FISH posted:

gently caress off

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

HUMAN FISH posted:

They're not running Hotel Mario, calm down.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Sunshine is some epic poo poo, and is basically the perfect game to play on a blustery Winters 'eve.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
drew carey just made a joke about the dude who proposed during mischief makers on the late late show what to heck

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Jeez

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

absolutely anything posted:

drew carey just made a joke about the dude who proposed during mischief makers on the late late show what to heck

What was the joke?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

What was the joke?

exactly what you'd think it would be, "a video gamer proposed to his girlfriend at a 6 day marathon congrats to the video gamer with a girlfriend"

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Just an FYI, SDA is not a World Records site. It's just a site for videos of speedruns.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ah it's funny because people who play games can't fall in love.

Is this going to be a 100% run on sunshine? I can't imagine a any% being 3 hours.

Edit: Guess that answers that. Still strange.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
It's 120 shine%, so sort of?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I think Sunshine gets a lot of flak because it in that position of trying to be better than Mario 64. It also doesn't help that after Sunshine we were introduced to the Galaxy series. One thing that really stand out for with Mario Sunshine is that is has VA and though I think the direction of such voices hurt the game overall (and the impression) it was fun to hear characters you grew up have sense of personality. I know we will never hear the Sunshine Bowser's voice ever again, but it was nice to see, and nice to hear. It made care just a little bit more on who I was fighting and who I was saving. Mario Sunshine is still a great game, and besides MArjora's Mask, seems to be a title that people want to be remade on the Wii U.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Off to a good start, world record hype!!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

ChrisM with the f bomb lol

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Wait is there a difference between 100% and 120 shines? Cause you need all the blue coins to get 120 shines so :confused:

E: Okay stream changed it to 100% so I guess that's that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I enjoy the fact Mario gets jailed in the void.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

i actually don't hate sunshine but there's no way you could get me to watch almost four hours of someone playing it without strapping me to a chair and prying my eyes open

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

7 minutes of cutscenes before you even start the game. I'd ask how anyone even runs this game but KH1/2 are right after this so 7 minutes is nothing in comparison.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I remember Sunshine and getting an Animal Crossing memory card

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

"Can you sing the special stage music"

"No"

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
This is some pretty pro paying. Really mostly looking forward to the special stages, though.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Good job, Kewpuh, keeping the bad but lusty singing alive on the secret levels.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Super Mario Sunshine is better than SM64

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

fun haters are gonna tell this guy to get off the couch and stop upstaging the runner

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

The blue coin optimization tricks are really neat.

Sunshine is a game you need to either be really dedicated or really twelve years old and on a sugar high to complete 100%. I was the latter. It's a really cool game, really pretty, has some really excellent world design, but it's very obtuse and inaccessible.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Poultron posted:

Super Mario Sunshine is better than SM64

Gameplay wise yeah. I hate the setting though, everything being a sunny beach sucks.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

This couch is so un-hype.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Gameplay wise yeah. I hate the setting though, everything being a sunny beach sucks.

I disagree but I guess that's a personal opinion

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I'd say it's pretty drat fantastic aside from the blue coins.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Pseudoscorpion posted:

How can you say that when they're actually singing the do's? :colbert:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Pseudoscorpion posted:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Poultron posted:

I disagree but I guess that's a personal opinion

It's just kinda grinding after awhile personally. That and I dislike the gross redesigns on a lot of stuff. The koopas are terrible and bullet bills are super dumb.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

Sage Grimm posted:

How can you say that when they're actually singing the do's? :colbert:

They're being forced to by donations and popular opinion. It's still fun and they're really informative and the banter is pretty great, but don't pretend like they're doing the singing because they want to. :v:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Super Mario Sunshine feels like the kind of weird gimmick one-off that Sonic gets a lot of, except it was the only Gamecube Mario game.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

"My boyfriend died of brain cancer" "Shoutouts to that"

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Chocolate Donuts posted:

They're being forced to by donations and popular opinion. It's still fun and they're really informative and the banter is pretty great, but don't pretend like they're doing the singing because they want to. :v:

I think it's a bit funny (though I'm already sick of it) and I really don't give a gently caress if a bunch of people want to donate thousands of bucks for this.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Seriously though who the hell decided Yoshi needed to projectile vomit in this game.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
This thread makes me realize just how OCD I am for 100%ing games like Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie and Super Mario Sunshine.

On another note, I saw this guy practicing for this run on his channel and he got screwed over by a glitch they refer to as "The Crack" right near the end which softlocked the game and ruined the run. He said he'd use a memory card for the marathon just to be safe, but he doesn't seem to be. So hopefully that doesn't happen again. :ohdear:

TheLing
Jul 20, 2008
I think previously they've had a memory card with saves near known softlocks, they probably just don't have it in to save time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

This year's highlights have been the Lost Levels run through, the blindfolded SMW2 Yoshi's Island run and the Shovel Knight run with the devs on the phone was great. I couldn't stand the Batman Arkham City run; too many awkward jokes from the couch.

Ugh it's been too much. I've got an alarm on my phone waking me up for the Dark Souls 2 run tomorrow morning. Somehow I get super into this despite not giving a single drat about speed runs the rest of the year.

• Locked thread