Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
gently caress Quickbooks, man. Seems like a slight breeze will just completely gently caress it up somehow, especially if it's in multi-user mode on a network...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

gently caress Quickbooks, man. Seems like a slight breeze will just completely gently caress it up somehow, especially if it's in multi-user mode on a network...

I've complained many times in this thread about Quickbooks. Their support is even loving worse.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MJP posted:

All that remains: how do we gently caress with this Indian recruiter?

Why? It seems like they've been pretty goddamn straight with you.

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

Sickening posted:

And that is why I called it poo poo. I get the spirit of it, but its just one of those things that screws over students who are paying there own way.

Maybe a cultural difference - in the UK degree courses are sometimes sandwich based - 2 years in Uni, a year in industry and then final year in University to get the degree. You get paid for the year in industry and get experience / can sometimes work your dissertation towards something the company you were based in want to research giving you a foot in the door when you graduate.

Is that not what happens in the US?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

Why? It seems like they've been pretty goddamn straight with you.

You know what? You're right.

I'll give him a no-thank-you but if IDC Technologies spams me, it's back to figuring out how to P-p-powerbook 'em.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

m.hache posted:

It was a placement between 3rd and 4th semester. The job paid $4 more than minimum wage.

You got on site experience, more money than working at a fast food restaurant and were better prepared for the working world. How is that lovely?

Glad it worked out but requiring an internship of 6 months to finish a degree just sounds poo poo to me. I grew up pretty poor and working full time while going to school full time was rough enough without having the university requiring me to be a lowly intern.

Maybe if the school placed you and it didn't pay poo poo that would be okay. Just seems like kids that aren't getting the parents to pay their way could be in a otherwise.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

Glad it worked out but requiring an internship of 6 months to finish a degree just sounds poo poo to me. I grew up pretty poor and working full time while going to school full time was rough enough without having the university requiring me to be a lowly intern.

Maybe if the school placed you and it didn't pay poo poo that would be okay. Just seems like kids that aren't getting the parents to pay their way could be in a otherwise.

Keep in mind schooling in Canada is priced WAY batter than the US. My entire 3 years of schooling was roughly 10k. So making $11/hour was more than enough to pay for that poo poo.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
We're taking over L1 phone/email support for a popular 2-factor authentication suite.

quote:

We have two questions:

1. We have these laptops which have onboard Smart Card readers:
  • HP 8560p
  • Dell Latitude E6530
  • HP Probook 650
Can we make use (technology, compatibility, implications, etc.) instead of the external, USB-connected Omnikey Reader/Writer?

2. We have a Fargo HDP 5000 printer (Model # 089003) which we use to print info on Smart Cards. The internal template has to be updated for new info. Please see attachments for current template & new template.

1. Yes.

2. This is not a question.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Sickening posted:

The school does place you, and I made about $20/hr during my co-op placement (which was in the summer semester between years). This was about ten years ago.

This was also for a degree program where I opted-in to the co-op stream, I didn't have to do it.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

We're migrating from Peachtree 12 to Quickbooks this week. Regrettably I didn't hold back and told my CFO that I had heard some really bad things when I probably should have been smiling and nodding (we already bought the thing after all). I looked the current product up afterwards and was instantly validated - people are very mad about accounting and I'm thinking this will be a disaster.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

m.hache posted:

Keep in mind schooling in Canada is priced WAY batter than the US. My entire 3 years of schooling was roughly 10k. So making $11/hour was more than enough to pay for that poo poo.

:aaaaa:

I went to the cheapest 4 year school I possibly could have (although it wasn't TERRIBLE either), and after 2 years of scholarship and 3 years of half loans half parental help I still ended up with 2.5x that in debt :911:

And people wonder why young folk in america are all so loving disaffected.

Are there schools that don't place you for co-ops? My school had a program for that that I didn't take advantage of because I didn't want to live in some podunk nowhere town all year round instead of 2/3 and had a nice safe job working for the uni labs, but basically getting your own internship and having your college take credit for it seems pretty shady.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Roargasm posted:

We're migrating from Peachtree 12 to Quickbooks this week. Regrettably I didn't hold back and told my CFO that I had heard some really bad things when I probably should have been smiling and nodding (we already bought the thing after all). I looked the current product up afterwards and was instantly validated - people are very mad about accounting and I'm thinking this will be a disaster.

Quickbooks, or Quickbooks ~*on the cloud*~? We've migrated a few of our clients over the the cloud version and so far it's been far more stable than regular Quickbooks running in multi-user mode on a server on-site or whatever.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Eldercain posted:

:aaaaa:

I went to the cheapest 4 year school I possibly could have (although it wasn't TERRIBLE either), and after 2 years of scholarship and 3 years of half loans half parental help I still ended up with 2.5x that in debt :911:

And people wonder why young folk in america are all so loving disaffected.

Are there schools that don't place you for co-ops? My school had a program for that that I didn't take advantage of because I didn't want to live in some podunk nowhere town all year round instead of 2/3 and had a nice safe job working for the uni labs, but basically getting your own internship and having your college take credit for it seems pretty shady.

The course also had the fast track option of skipping the co-op but it would generally be for your benefit to take it since it gives you field experience which you so desperately need out of College.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Quickbooks, or Quickbooks ~*on the cloud*~? We've migrated a few of our clients over the the cloud version and so far it's been far more stable than regular Quickbooks running in multi-user mode on a server on-site or whatever.

How different is this version for the in house one? What's the security like? I would loving love to get that poo poo out of here if only so I don't have to deal with it anymore.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

m.hache posted:

How different is this version for the in house one? What's the security like? I would loving love to get that poo poo out of here if only so I don't have to deal with it anymore.

Unfortunately I'm the wrong person to ask this question; I just landed a lowly helpdesk job a few months ago and wasn't involved in the migration (and also don't know anything about the differences between versions) I just know how to (mostly) fix QB when it inevitably explodes once a week at some client because 3 people are hammering the same QB database file at the same time or whatever.

I will re-iterate though that all of the clients we've moved to the cloud version have pretty much stopped calling the office with dumb QB poo poo while the others who don't wanna pay/are dragging their feet call about once a week. Of course ymmv and all that.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I think I have reached the Apex of my technical life. I was working on a customer trunk issue. Customer has some Comcast PRI which is a business class cable modem connected to something that converts the traffic to analog and sends it to the switch. The trunk is out of service and the line quality looks bad. We involve Comcast and it is finger pointing time.

The Comcast tech is saying they see no issues and everything looks good from their end, etc. Halfway through his speech I pipe up and say:

"Could you try rebooting your cable modem?"

I work from home. Whenever my connection goes down and I call Comcast, that is the only thing they can ever suggest. It felt so good to throw it back at them.

I hate Comcast with a passion not only because of poo poo like this, but because I have no idea how such a clearly incompetent, half-assed company can still be in business. I've got a client with offices here in Nebraska and in Massachusetts, and the MA office uses Comcast, Client moved to a new office in MA and it took hours of wrestling with Comcast techs to get their static IP information setup again. First they claimed our client never had static IPs (bullshit, we had them all documented), then when I furnished proof they backpedaled and "didn't know how or why the IPs weren't documented".

I know exactly why, it's because Comcast is a lovely, lackluster ISP that doesn't train their people correctly and likes to shift blame to others. We ended up getting the problem fixed but never before have I wanted so badly to reach through the phone and strangle a motherfucker.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ozz81 posted:

I hate Comcast with a passion not only because of poo poo like this, but because I have no idea how such a clearly incompetent, half-assed company can still be in business.
Lawyers.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Don't forget lobbyists! It's not hard to stay in business when you have a legal monopoly on what is effectively a loving utility.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Sickening posted:

I remember back when I was in the last year or so of my BS.Ed and the Dean of the College of Education told all of us in an informational meeting that if we're working a job then we need to quit it because we need to devote all our (unpaid) time to learning how to be teachers.

Girl stood up near the middle of the room and asked when the Dean was going to be writing her a check to cover all her living expenses and tuition. I applauded, and when he tried to berate me I told him "Dude, I drive a semi to support myself. I work 100+ hours a week during the summer to be able to afford to cut back on hours during the academic year so I can go to school. Come see me when your expectations are more in line with reality for those of us who don't have a trust fund."

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Sickening posted:

What a poo poo requirement.

It's common, at universities of applied science in the netherlands you have to complete two internships totalling about a year. Mine also lead to employment, but also to a total disregard for college as they untaught me everything first.

edit: currently there's also an "unpaid experience internship", which is paid for by your local government and features post-grads who already have done internships.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 10, 2015

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

seadweller posted:

Maybe a cultural difference - in the UK degree courses are sometimes sandwich based - 2 years in Uni, a year in industry and then final year in University to get the degree. You get paid for the year in industry and get experience / can sometimes work your dissertation towards something the company you were based in want to research giving you a foot in the door when you graduate.

Is that not what happens in the US?

A growing number of industries expect you to do 6 months to a year of unpaid work before you can get a job in them, not even tied to school each time either like Journalism and like all of Hollywood.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
A girlfriend came in

Her Macbook Pro would take 5 minutes to settle down into a usable state upon boot. After clearing the trash and resetting the SMC, it's not a total paperweight now.

Except Office programs take like 3-5 minutes to load :psyduck:. Even the biggest garbage fire Windows machines can get Word up inside of a minute. The laptop is pretty clean. Lots of picture but it isn't clogged up with every random application and game in the world like say, my computer, so I'm at a loss as to what the cause is.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

skooma512 posted:

A girlfriend came in

Her Macbook Pro would take 5 minutes to settle down into a usable state upon boot. After clearing the trash and resetting the SMC, it's not a total paperweight now.

Except Office programs take like 3-5 minutes to load :psyduck:. Even the biggest garbage fire Windows machines can get Word up inside of a minute. The laptop is pretty clean. Lots of picture but it isn't clogged up with every random application and game in the world like say, my computer, so I'm at a loss as to what the cause is.

Replace HDD with SSD. Problem solved.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

skooma512 posted:

A girlfriend came in

How much RAM does it have ? Max it out and get an SSD in there ASAP.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ozz81 posted:

I hate Comcast with a passion not only because of poo poo like this, but because I have no idea how such a clearly incompetent, half-assed company can still be in business. I've got a client with offices here in Nebraska and in Massachusetts, and the MA office uses Comcast, Client moved to a new office in MA and it took hours of wrestling with Comcast techs to get their static IP information setup again. First they claimed our client never had static IPs (bullshit, we had them all documented), then when I furnished proof they backpedaled and "didn't know how or why the IPs weren't documented".

I know exactly why, it's because Comcast is a lovely, lackluster ISP that doesn't train their people correctly and likes to shift blame to others. We ended up getting the problem fixed but never before have I wanted so badly to reach through the phone and strangle a motherfucker.

I also assume that most low level support suck from major companies (especially ISPs) because working call centers are awful. As a result, the good employees quickly move up and out of direct customer support where they can be more valuable to the company, while the lovely employees who don't try to learn stagnate and work in the call center for years doing nothing but rebooting modems and watching the clock, counting down the minutes until lunch time.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Renegret posted:

I also assume that most low level support suck from major companies (especially ISPs) because working call centers are awful. As a result, the good employees quickly move up and out of direct customer support where they can be more valuable to the company, while the lovely employees who don't try to learn stagnate and work in the call center for years doing nothing but rebooting modems and watching the clock, counting down the minutes until lunch time.

Actually most low level support for Comcast are temporary workers for outsourcing companies that run foreign call centers. I don't know how those folks run things, but I assume turnover is high because of foreign call center, or even the fact that an entire outsourcer may be replaced or at least given fewer calls due to metrics or cost.

Here is a fun thing, not related to Comcast or any one company. If you have a contract outsourcing company taking your calls, the contract will have penalties for not meeting various metrics, such as speed of answer, abandonment, or first call resolution. This means it may be financially advantages to the main company to use an outsourcer that has trouble giving good service.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Actually most low level support for Comcast are temporary workers for outsourcing companies that run foreign call centers. I don't know how those folks run things, but I assume turnover is high because of foreign call center, or even the fact that an entire outsourcer may be replaced or at least given fewer calls due to metrics or cost.

Here is a fun thing, not related to Comcast or any one company. If you have a contract outsourcing company taking your calls, the contract will have penalties for not meeting various metrics, such as speed of answer, abandonment, or first call resolution. This means it may be financially advantages to the main company to use an outsourcer that has trouble giving good service.

Oh yeah, I forgot that was a thing.

My company takes a "no outsourcing any job ever" stance as far as hiring goes and it's a very pleasant thing to never have to deal with.

(Which is not to say that there's never any temps or contractors, to be honest we have far too many low level contractors because they're easy to get rid of.)

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

mllaneza posted:

How much RAM does it have ? Max it out and get an SSD in there ASAP.
Yeah. And are the fans running constantly? Could be it's clogged up, getting hot and throttling the CPU.

Having upped my 2011 i5 13" MBP to 16 GB RAM and an Intel 530 SSD — it's a whole new world, and apart from games and heavy-duty stuff like video editing it's extended its lifespan with a few more years for office work, coding, etc. I can run several VM's without issue and I don't have to worry about the HD being bounced around while travelling. Boot time: 15 seconds from power on to logged in and loaded. And it's not so annoying jumping into Windows for the odd Civ 4 or SimCity session.

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 11, 2015

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Renegret posted:

Wait, there is an "up" in ISPs?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Gothmog1065 posted:

Wait, there is an "up" in ISPs?

Sure. I work at an ISP, my boss has been here for 30 years and hasn't had the same job for more than 5 years at a time. There's tons of room for growth and development as long as you have a thick skin for bureaucracy. My supervisor got his start doing home installs, and my manager got his start working in the call center as customer service.

Bonus points in that if you're even having trouble with your service at home, you know the right people to bother and get to skip the god awful call center. If you can't beat 'em...:v:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
An early contender for "biggest PST file of the year" just came in at 49GB. No, I am not surprised that your Outlook 2010 doesn't want to open any more.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
DD-WRT on a $30 LinkSys is being suggested in a meeting to "perform like a $1000 router." Not technical myself, but this is setting off alarm bells. Confirm?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

An Angry Bug posted:

DD-WRT on a $30 LinkSys is being suggested in a meeting to "perform like a $1000 router." Not technical myself, but this is setting off alarm bells. Confirm?

Alarm bells, aye.

Depending on your needs, it might almost be reasonable, though. IT'd probably work fine for a small office (10 people or less) router with no real performance requirements (just to secure internet browsing, no VPN, etc)

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Entropic posted:

An early contender for "biggest PST file of the year" just came in at 49GB. No, I am not surprised that your Outlook 2010 doesn't want to open any more.

Currently have a lawyer client with a 79 GB pst. Wonders why it takes some time to load outlook.

Speaking of which, gently caress office 2013 in the rear end. Hard. The number of unsolvable unfixable errors this piece of poo poo throws is incredible. Dozens of error numbers that mean nothing and all point to the same Microsoft fixit article that supposedly removes office properly but never resolves the problem.

Only solution we have found is to nuke the machine and reinstall everything from the OS on up.

gently caress Microsoft so hard.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I also love 2013 for forcing you to integrate it with a Microsoft Account, which sucks if you're installing it on behalf of someone else and you have to make an account for them, with username and pw they will file away and then completely forget the existence of when it comes time for a reinstall.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

nitrogen posted:

Alarm bells, aye.

Depending on your needs, it might almost be reasonable, though. IT'd probably work fine for a small office (10 people or less) router with no real performance requirements (just to secure internet browsing, no VPN, etc)

They're using it on really small environments, yeah. Will post any catastrophes that result.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Entropic posted:

I also love 2013 for forcing you to integrate it with a Microsoft Account, which sucks if you're installing it on behalf of someone else and you have to make an account for them, with username and pw they will file away and then completely forget the existence of when it comes time for a reinstall.

http://keepass.info/

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

Billy the Mountain posted:

Currently have a lawyer client with a 79 GB pst. Wonders why it takes some time to load outlook.

Speaking of which, gently caress office 2013 in the rear end. Hard. The number of unsolvable unfixable errors this piece of poo poo throws is incredible. Dozens of error numbers that mean nothing and all point to the same Microsoft fixit article that supposedly removes office properly but never resolves the problem.

Only solution we have found is to nuke the machine and reinstall everything from the OS on up.

gently caress Microsoft so hard.

Seconded - had an issue with Office 2013 2 users report the full client of outlook freezing after start up - generally they can click onto about 4/5 emails before it happens. This behaviour is consistent across an imaged workstation and various laptops, so it has to be an office issue as its the only constant. Does not happen in web version of office 365. PC reimaged, laptops cleaned, profiles rebuilt eventually it gets escalated up to Microsoft who are remoting onto the PC to try and diagnose.

Cause - User has a shared calendar for sporting fixtures

:ughh:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Entropic posted:

This is by far the most annoying part of 2013 for me. Thankfully OEM keys don't require an account, but yeah, poo poo's annoying.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

An Angry Bug posted:

That's a bit of an oversell. It may have software/firmware features you'd normally only find on a high-end router, but it'd still be running on consumer-grade hardware that might not be up to the task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

An Angry Bug posted:

Except for the limited interfaces and the CPU getting so hot it will melt the enclosure (at least while broadcasting an SSID). That's been my experience on a melted WRT54G at least.

• Locked thread