Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

R. Mute posted:

Depicting the prophet alone is attacking a very fundamental part of a lot of Muslims' faith, though.
Is it really? I mean, I've heard why that is and it seems like a pretty good reason to me, to avoid idolatry of him (among Muslims I mean), but I guess I don't have a sense of how offended non-crazy people are of it.

I guess I should ask about that next time it comes up with my Muslim students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

R. Mute posted:

Depicting the prophet alone is attacking a very fundamental part of a lot of Muslims' faith, though.

But not actually in the Koran

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is it really? I mean, I've heard why that is and it seems like a pretty good reason to me, to avoid idolatry of him (among Muslims I mean), but I guess I don't have a sense of how offended non-crazy people are of it.

I guess I should ask about that next time it comes up with my Muslim students.
Things don't actually have to be in the scripture itself to be important to the religion - see also: Catholicism.

Not all Muslims care about it, obviously, but not all Muslims care about eating pork either when that very much is in the Quran. In many Muslim majority countries, it's certainly a thing that matters and isn't limited to fundamentalists.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Simply depicting Mohammed can be considered an attack on Islam only in the same way as not fasting during Ramadan. Not following one religion's tenets is not in itself an attack on this religion, otherwise professing a different religion should be considered an attack, too. For instance, the core belief of Islam is that there is no God except God (i.e. monotheism). But saying that Shinto or Hindu followers should avoid worshipping their multiple deities openly, because it goes utterly against basic beliefs of Muslims is not right. Hope that helps.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I never looked into the history of why Muslims decided that depicting Mohammed is blasphemous, but I always figured that it was a part of Orthodox Christianity's Iconoclast leanings that the Turks absorbed into their DNA after they conquered Byzantium. The veil was certainly popularized by the Ottoman court.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Simply depicting Mohammed can be considered an attack on Islam only in the same way as not fasting during Ramadan. Not following one religion's tenets is not in itself an attack on this religion, otherwise professing a different religion should be considered an attack, too. For instance, the core belief of Islam is that there is no God except God (i.e. monotheism). But saying that Shinto or Hindu followers should avoid worshipping their multiple deities openly, because it goes utterly against basic beliefs of Muslims is not right. Hope that helps.
You're comparing apples and oranges, mate.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh wow, I was loving confused there because I was just looking at avatars and thought you were arguing with yourself.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

You're not the only one.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh wow, I was loving confused there because I was just looking at avatars and thought you were arguing with yourself.
Yeah, I keep going into threads I never visited before, seeing this avatar and thinking 'oh my god i've been sleep-posting'

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

R. Mute posted:

You're comparing apples and oranges, mate.

I don't think I do, actually.

E: Same re avatars.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I'm going to repost something I wrote in the CH thread, because I think it's pertinent and I'd like to hear some responses that don't get drowned out by people furiously trying to own Tezzor.

paranoid randroid posted:

blowfish posted:

I am proud to live in a culture where "pick up the stick again and poke harder" is a valid response to "you hurt ~my feelings~ so you can't do that".

I think its fair to say that the satirist's right to poke harder is accompanied by a responsibility to determine when complaints about being poked merit acknowledgment. Because, if we assume that satire is an inherently constructive social good, then there is a certain expectation of social engagement and discourse that goes along with it. This is not to say that all complaints are created equal. A two-faced politician whining that a satirist ought apologize for demeaning family values is, of course, worthy of further scorn. I feel that a member of a community that is treated with a fair amount of hostility and suspicion on a regular basis is deserving of a more nuanced reply than "get a sense of humor". This is of course entirely subjective.

People do not have a right to not be offended, this is true. But they do have the right to take offense, and if and how this offense is acknowledged will color a satirist's work.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
That is one of the dumbest comparisons I've ever read. People are saying you should consider how necessary depicting Mohammad is to your message before doing it. You can even apply that rule similarly to polytheists worshiping multiple gods. Doing it as part of your normal worship ceremonies? Totally cool. Walking into a mosque in the middle of Friday prayers and doing it? Not so cool. You can do things that piss people off, just have a good reason to first.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

My eyes are drawn to that screaming monkey statue on the shelf.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Acropolis
Feb 21, 2014

People do not have a right to not be offended, this is true. But they do have the right to take offense, and if and how this offense is acknowledged will color a satirist's work.

People have a right to take offense, write a stern letter to the editor, draw a counter argument cartoon, write a screed in a publication that supports their view; Not murder people for their beliefs or their words. At worst, if the speech in question is not protected by the free speech laws, the offended can call for a lawsuit.

That is it. I have no responsibility to not re-offend you until it is proven I've broken a law. Free speech being what it is, that is a very specific set of criteria based on the legal jurisdiction. "Pick up the stick again and poke harder" is always a valid response regardless of whether the speech being criticized is socially constructive or destructive.

I'm not sure if that's the response you're looking for.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Attacking extremists by depicting Mohammad (especially in Christian-majority nations) is like attacking "thug culture" by printing "Niggers!" as your headline. It attacks the entire community by punching down and doesn't even address any of the issues at hand.

Even if you're the type of idiot to say "Islam" is inherently violent, it's not violent because of depictions of Mohammad, and attacking a core tenet to get at less than 1% of the community is specious at best.

And even if your point is to show other Muslims that this ban is dumb and attacking people over it is dumb, you're not going to make any headway with peaceful moderates by attacking them and holding their community responsible for the actions of a few

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

That is one of the dumbest comparisons I've ever read. People are saying you should consider how necessary depicting Mohammad is to your message before doing it. You can even apply that rule similarly to polytheists worshiping multiple gods. Doing it as part of your normal worship ceremonies? Totally cool. Walking into a mosque in the middle of Friday prayers and doing it? Not so cool. You can do things that piss people off, just have a good reason to first.

Is it alright to show a film about different gods on TV? I mean, it's not strictly necessary, right? Is it okay to have a Christmas-themed adult show at a night club and advertise it? Again, not necessary at all and probably tasteless, but hardly something that should be considered twice if someone wants to do it.

If you want to draw a Mohammed (mind you, we're not talking about specific cartoons, just the mere act of drawing the prophet), you do it. Provided it's not on a mosque's wall, of course.

I absolutely agree, though, that it's not wrong to discuss offensiveness of particular depictions of Mohammed and that there's a possibility of crossing the line. This, however, doesn't mean for me that simply drawing Mohammed should be something to go into internal debate before doing.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Acropolis posted:

People have a right to take offense, write a stern letter to the editor, draw a counter argument cartoon, write a screed in a publication that supports their view; Not murder people for their beliefs or their words. At worst, if the speech in question is not protected by the free speech laws, the offended can call for a lawsuit.

That is it. I have no responsibility to not re-offend you until it is proven I've broken a law. Free speech being what it is, that is a very specific set of criteria based on the legal jurisdiction. "Pick up the stick again and poke harder" is always a valid response regardless of whether the speech being criticized is socially constructive or destructive.

edited for insanely bitchy post

But you do have a responsibility, as a satirist conducting his business as what is supposedly a societal necessity, to evaluate whether or not my complaints merit a response. And, if they do merit a response, the manner in which you respond will color your work by revealing the intentions behind it.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 10, 2015

Acropolis
Feb 21, 2014

Thank you for assuming I was defending the murder of cartoonists and not, say, people vocalizing their discomfort within the parameters of acceptable society. This is exactly the caliber of posting I have come to expect from Politoons.

You are totally welcome!

I was going for a more generalized response, though. I think it goes both ways here as well, the people attacking CH for their content have the right to say whatever they want too whenever they want to. People can express their discomfort and feel offended but that's on them.

Edit: I could be misunderstanding the question too.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Disregard that post, I replaced it with something actually productive. Sorry for snapping, I'm in a really foul mood.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Is it alright to show a film about different gods on TV? I mean, it's not strictly necessary, right? Is it okay to have a Christmas-themed adult show at a night club and advertise it? Again, not necessary at all and probably tasteless, but hardly something that should be considered twice if someone wants to do it.

If you want to draw a Mohammed (mind you, we're not talking about specific cartoons, just the mere act of drawing the prophet), you do it. Provided it's not on a mosque's wall, of course.

I absolutely agree, though, that it's not wrong to discuss offensiveness of particular depictions of Mohammed and that there's a possibility of crossing the line. This, however, doesn't mean for me that simply drawing Mohammed should be something to go into internal debate before doing.

You really don't get that a part of the Muslim belief is that you do not depict Mohammed in any way, do you? You cannot compare it to any other religion because no other major religion has anything like that.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Acropolis posted:

This is fairly ridiculous as a response not just because it misses the point but because it also moves on to suggest that laws are the only things that should concern how we behave and concludes by insisting that you should always dig in your heels instead of engaging with other human beings out of simple decency and desire to communicate.

edited for insanely bitchy post

But you do have a responsibility, as a satirist conducting his business as what is supposedly a societal necessity, to evaluate whether or not my complaints merit a response. And, if they do merit a response, the manner in which you respond will color your work by revealing the intentions behind it.

I'd say that somewhat more important for the satirist would be ensuring that their message is understood. Consider, say, Truffaut's maxim on war movies. Of course, that gets into the problem of acknowledging satire can be evil in intent, which many people are loathe to do.

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

Can someone put that effortpost on what a Charlie Hebdo number contains somewhere were it can be also seen by other people?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Paladinus posted:

Unlike having a film about other gods or a Christmas themed thing, there is not a religion that requires or even suggests that you depict Mohammed. Almost everyone who depicts Mohammed does it to offend Muslims, and if you are doing it for what you feel is an innocent reason you should totally think deeply on it to make sure you don't get misinterpreted as a racist rear end in a top hat.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I suppose what I'm saying is, if you claim to merely be doing satirical work that is not against the beliefs of ordinary muslims, but your response to criticism from ordinary muslims reveals that you hold their concerns in contempt, that colors your work.

I should clarify that I do not believe CH is guilty of this, as I explained in the next post I made in the CH thread

A good example of the kind of engagement I'm talking about in my previous post is the CH cover depicting one of their staff making out with a Muslim man under the heading "Love Conquers All". That alone puts them at a considerable distance from the kind of hateful for hate's own sake depictions of Muslims you see in a lot of American political cartoons - Glenn McCoy would never in a million years draw himself snogging a Muslim. If anyone has access to the contents of that issue, I would be interested in reading whatever article accompanied that cover.

Incidentally if anyone is able to get ahold of the contents of that issue and provide a quick once over, I'm still very interested.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The key thing a lot of folks here are missing is that there is a difference between me saying "you shouldn't do that" and me saying "you should be forbidden from doing that." Using racist caricatures to "poke" at groups that are oppressed minorities in your country is certainly legally allowable, it's just stupid at best and immoral at worst. Refusing to even consider that your joke may have been in poor taste, and joking in even worse taste for the sole purpose of hurting people, is what turns a comedian into a shock jock: is your cartoon meant to help, or to hurt?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Stefu posted:

Can someone put that effortpost on what a Charlie Hebdo number contains somewhere were it can be also seen by other people?
Yeah, that was insanely valuable for this conversation. Like, it shouldn't happen at all without it.

Acropolis
Feb 21, 2014

Effectronica posted:

This is fairly ridiculous as a response not just because it misses the point but because it also moves on to suggest that laws are the only things that should concern how we behave and concludes by insisting that you should always dig in your heels instead of engaging with other human beings out of simple decency and desire to communicate.

You have a good point. In an ideal world we'd all be decent to each other and talk poo poo out.

Also for the record: Me = clearly missing the point.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

One day people are going to look at the way cartoonists depict Arabs in the same way we look at the way black people and Chinese used to be drawn. At that time our political cartoons will probably be awash with hi-larious racist caricatures of whoever we're bombing (probably Russians), and also Gypsies and transgender people because it's always ok to insult them.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

I suppose what I'm saying is, if you claim to merely be doing satirical work that is not against the beliefs of ordinary muslims, but your response to criticism from ordinary muslims reveals that you hold their concerns in contempt, that colors your work.

I should clarify that I do not believe CH is guilty of this, as I explained in the next post I made in the CH thread

Which is why I think there should be more willingness to explain art on the behalf of the artist, especially for things like political cartoons and essays. After all, if the goal is clear communication of an idea, and that idea is misinterpreted by audiences, then you have failed as an artist. Of course, this would lead to issues because many people wouldn't want to own up to "we did this because we think Muslims are a danger to Europe and European culture" openly and blatantly.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Effectronica posted:

Which is why I think there should be more willingness to explain art on the behalf of the artist, especially for things like political cartoons and essays. After all, if the goal is clear communication of an idea, and that idea is misinterpreted by audiences, then you have failed as an artist. Of course, this would lead to issues because many people wouldn't want to own up to "we did this because we think Muslims are a danger to Europe and European culture" openly and blatantly.

I agree.The biggest hitch with the CH cartoons is that a lot of people from environments different from that of France are suddenly being exposed to some very provocative imagery. Unless you're familiar both with the language and the political context, it can be somewhat alarming.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Axe-man posted:

Hey guys, we should talk about some of those Ramirez comics. They seem pretty racist. Someone get on that.

I have to admit that Ramirez kinda offends me the most not because his stuff is shocking at all, but rather that I have grown up with people who literally professed those ideas. I've reached a point where I am no longer shocked but rather saddened by them because I know in my heart that some dude is looking at that going, "gently caress yeah man, show dem foreigners. Preach on. "
I know some otherwise completely normal, rational, right-thinking people, who have at some point said to me that "we should just glass it all" referring to the Middle East outside of Israel. 9/11 really hosed up a lot of people's heads.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

You're retarded.

I live in a country which actually has to deal with a bunch of religious fanatics trying to turn it into their cozy little theocracy. Specifically, I live in the holy city of three religions which a bunch of Jewish orthodox assholes have been trying to take over. Let me spoil the point of the list of examples I'm about to post (because I don't trust your intelligence enough to believe you'll get the point otherwise): Those fuckers will keep on pushing until everything is their "mosque", or their synagogue, or their monastery that you shouldn't enter with your own code of conduct.

People (particularly people of the female persuasion) walking around in the wrong clothes (too short, too tight, too revealing, too not-a-full-body-hijab) in Orthodox neighborhoods or next to orthodox neighborhoods or on a streets that a Haredi might consider walking on were likely to be harassed. Politely at first. When it turned out no one cared, said harassment escalated to verbal abuse, throwing garbage, physical harassment.

Advertisement posters or general information posters near orthodox neighborhoods depicting women in revealing clothes were defaced. Next, it's any poster showing a female anywhere in Jerusalem. Next, lovely little "the voice of a woman is a oval office" rabbinical quote to hang over anything showing or quoting a woman. Next - people learn their goddamn lesson and you don't see women in advertisements, because all of Jerusalem is apparently a goddamn mosque that you shouldn't offend people for no good reason in.

The Pride parade... well, you can imagine how that works. (Actually, that one goes against the grain, insofar at the handful of violent attacks took place before 2010, and the parade has been ongoing for the past decade or so).

Edit - Missionaries. Not fond of those jackasses, but I'm in favor of them having the right to (as a fair interpretation) deny the validity of Judaism as a religion, praise Jesus on the streets of Jerusalem and get into bizarre arguments with me in which they refer to Nietzsche as my prophet. Guess how quickly an obscure law forbidding proselytizing was enforced? Guess how many organizations sprang up to defend the the honor of the prophet purity of Jewish souls in danger?

And hey - thanks in part to our extraordinary tolerance for the religious feelings of a group of fanatics, Israel is going exactly where its going. Or, as an example of something specific, a bunch of Kahanists feel free to burst onto a train, try to provoke a confrontation with the passengers, and declare that this train / city / country is there for true believers only, and Arabs / Russians / left-wing traitor scum should bugger off into the sea.

I'm in favor of staying out of peoples literal mosques, and not getting into their personal space to insult them. But people who want to turn the world into their mosques and extend their personal space to encompass the entire public sphere... yeah. And I can't imagine how you'd think otherwise, except out of sheer contrariness / willful density.

There are a lot of things you can do to show solidarity with an oppressed minority. There's a smaller list of things that can actually help that minority step towards equality (Full disclosure - actually helping impoverished Haredi population is probably the last thing on my mind. But still, in theory.) Giving respect and support to the religious fanatics trying to control them and set them at war against the majority population is not on either of those lists.

R. Mute posted:

In what context was that?
The Ground Zero mosque. You'd hear that a lot from right-wing "moderates" and it was quite deservedly mocked.

Editx2 - "I'm not saying you had it coming, but you should have considered how you're provoking others". Hmm. Hmm.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 10, 2015

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I see Mike Peters has learned about this thread.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cabinet posted:

You really don't get that a part of the Muslim belief is that you do not depict Mohammed in any way, do you? You cannot compare it to any other religion because no other major religion has anything like that.

Not you, a Muslim is not supposed to depict Mohammed. And yes, there are things like that. In Orthodox Christianity (and some other strands, too) depicting God the Father outside of very strict iconic rules. It doesn't mean that whenever a cartoonist or an artist wants to draw God as a bearded old man they should carefully consider if there's a way for a cartoon to work without God in it.

Elliotw2 posted:

Unlike having a film about other gods or a Christmas themed thing, there is not a religion that requires or even suggests that you depict Mohammed. Almost everyone who depicts Mohammed does it to offend Muslims, and if you are doing it for what you feel is an innocent reason you should totally think deeply on it to make sure you don't get misinterpreted as a racist rear end in a top hat.

What religion suggests showing films about gods or having Christmas-themed adult parties? I think you've either misread or mistyped something here. I agree that intent is important when judging a particular piece of what is perceived as offensive, but it doesn't mean the author should be more careful about drawing Mohammed than about drawing anything else that has to do with religion and similar topics. Simply drawing Mohammed in and on itself is not offensive.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 10, 2015

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

:siren: Mississippi Update :sherman:

(1)

Chris McDaniel's back in the headlines again. He's still a State Senator and his agenda this year comprises of two things: term limits for the State Legislature (a good thing) and barring people who voted in one party's primary from voting in another party's run-off (which would mean that people would have to register for their parties, which MS currently doesn't do). Also, his campaign manager is now running for an office (I forget which).

(2)

Our state capitol underwent renovations last year/beginning of this year.

(3)

When our legislature started up Tuesday, a bunch protesters gathered outside the capital to rally against Common Core and how it allows the FED'RUL GUV'MINT and YE MOORISH KYNGE to dictate what MS students should learn. ('Cause why should our kids have to learn the same things other states' kids do?)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Editx2 - "I'm not saying you had it coming, but you should have considered how you're provoking others". Hmm. Hmm.

This is what a lot of the anti CH comments are veering towards and It is concerning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

The discussions on this haven't been constructive because everyone is coming from different directions: you've got anti-religious people who feel strongly that religion needs to be critiqued (it should!). You have people who are concerned that Muslims will face more discrimination in the coming weeks (they will). You have people who treasure the concept of "freedom of speech", and believe that nobody should be silenced for their work (they shouldn't!). Finally you have people who hate or fear Islam, who feel their views have been confirmed by the attack (this is not supported by evidence http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/01/06/muslim.radicalization.study/).

It's a fractured, messy situation which is exacerbated by emotions.

Personally, I'm most concerned about discrimination against Muslims, because I think it's the most potentially dangerous side-effect of the tragedy. Religious criticism—in the west—isn't really in credible danger of being stifled. The same goes for freedom of speech, at least in terms of Charlie-Hebdo style speech. To be honest, the freedom of speech most put in danger by the attack is actually Muslim speech. For example, it's already illegal to wear a headscarf or Burqa in France. No sane politician would put forward a ban on depictions of Muhammad, It would be political suicide. And like it or not, being offended is also speech.

• Locked thread