Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CheGayvara
Oct 30, 2010

Skoll posted:

I think there's no horses because the entire game is literally confined to Paris and city streets. It's a lot faster to go by rooftop anywhere than it would be galloping around on a horse.

Like the accent thing, it's a lovely design choice that breaks immersion. There would have been tens of thousands of horses wandering around Paris at the time, working as well as providing transport. Even accounting for the parlous economic conditions they would be very hard to miss and the carriages dotted around the place just sort of rub it in.

As far as parkour being faster that a horse I suppose we just have to take Ubisoft's word for it, even though they control both Arno's speed, which is super human, and the speed of any hypothetical horse, which they could make as fast or slow as they like. I don't think anyone has raced a horse by climbing over roofs (in fact it's a bit hard to find how many horses there were in any given city during the late 18th century) but I'm certainly going to take Ubisoft's claims with a grain of salt especially after the 'cinematic 30fps lock' blunder.

They will probably be released with Dead Kings anyway making the whole point moot, they just better let me take one into Paris.

Oh, and returning to the accents, Arno keeps dropping in American pronunciations and Elise just sounds bizzare. She reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBXUXqf8FXk

Bad fake French accents would have been better.

Edit: And there is even at least one horse in game drawing a carriage during an assassination mission. Just copy and paste that, re-colour it a few times. Even if you can't ride them it would be more realistic especially since they made such a big deal about having big and immersive crowds of humans.

CheGayvara fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Feels good to finally get to open all those initiate chests! Never would have happened otherwise.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

Shadows is a literal copy of Batman's stealth gameplay actually. Like to the point they reused the same controls and same interface and same quirky bits. It even has destructable walls despite them being entirely worthless because they recycled them from Batman.

I wasn't aware that Talion had a grapple gun. Sorry.

BondSworeSuccinctly
Oct 27, 2007

Sent an invite to the new ps4 club

psn ID: colbey99

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

ayn rand hand job posted:

It's an arrow that teleports him to bad guys. More or less the same thing.

SoM was clearly developed with the Arkham Origins engine. Makes sense since they're all WB games.

Honestly, I think it's a much better engine for open-world fuckery than Ubisoft's.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

He has an arrow that teleports him to targets which fills basically the same purpose. It even is what you use to destroy the walls (by shooting them!) They basically rolled most of Batman's gadgets into one thing and called it a day.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I finally got the chance to play this game when I got my new computer over Christmas, and although the story is pretty forgettable, I, uh...I kinda like it. I'm a sucker for pretty princess assassin dress-up, and running through the streets with friends just dicking around and pissing off guards is more fun than the co-op missions.

Also, during the rift portion in Sequence 7/8, I did enjoy getting to shoot Nazi planes out of the air on the Eiffel Tower. That pretty much sealed the deal for me.

I'm probably just saying this because I got into the game after most of the major issues got ironed out though.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bonds0097 posted:

It's an arrow that teleports him to bad guys. More or less the same thing.

The teleport move is also pretty limited, you need to use it on an enemy in your LOS, while the grapple gun can be triggered without LOS and pretty much anywhere. It's really not the same thing. Arkham stealth is mostly vertical (hiding close to the ceiling) and in narrow confined areas. SOM is closer to AC (closer to the ground, expansive environments).

bonds0097 posted:

SoM was clearly developed with the Arkham Origins engine. Makes sense since they're all WB games.

SOM was a Monolith developed game and they developed it with LithTech (their in-house engine that was used with F.E.A.R., et al). The Arkham games were developed with Unreal Engine 3. They're only WB games because of the IPs involved.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The teleport move is also pretty limited, you need to use it on an enemy in your LOS, while the grapple gun can be triggered without LOS and pretty much anywhere. It's really not the same thing. Arkham stealth is mostly vertical (hiding close to the ceiling) and in narrow confined areas. SOM is closer to AC (closer to the ground, expansive environments).

I have to say one thing I absolutely never expected to hear about Assassin's Creed stealth is that it is 'closer to the ground.' I can't remember the last time I spent more than a few moments on the street during a stealth segment without being literally forced to.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

I have to say one thing I absolutely never expected to hear about Assassin's Creed stealth is that it is 'closer to the ground.' I can't remember the last time I spent more than a few moments on the street during a stealth segment without being literally forced to.

Compared to the open world segments of Arkham City or Origins that are chock full of skyscrapers?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

SOM was a Monolith developed game and they developed it with LithTech (their in-house engine that was used with F.E.A.R., et al). The Arkham games were developed with Unreal Engine 3. They're only WB games because of the IPs involved.

Huh, go figure. I knew SoM was made by Monolith, I just assumed WB had handed them WB Montreal's codebase for Origins because they're nearly mechanically identical. But yeah, apparently Monolith used their LithTech Jupiter EX engine + Nemesis system.

Semi-mental
Feb 5, 2007
You must be a couple of pansies

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Since I Saw someone else say it I started another good club on the PS4 version of Unity. The club name is GoonBabyGoon and the Goon Tag (fi you need it) is GBG0. Please post in here or send me a message if you ask for an invite so I know that you are part of the forums. I don't really know how the clubs work but i'm on a lot so I guess that's a plus haha.

Sorry forgot to mention that my PSN ID is TheBoatmansFerry

Applied. PSN = Lloydus_

KramFoot
Sep 25, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Since I Saw someone else say it I started another good club on the PS4 version of Unity. The club name is GoonBabyGoon and the Goon Tag (fi you need it) is GBG0. Please post in here or send me a message if you ask for an invite so I know that you are part of the forums. I don't really know how the clubs work but i'm on a lot so I guess that's a plus haha.

Can UK goons apply or just USA peeps? It'd be nice to play with some of you guys instead of suicidal pubbies. Anyways psn I'd is KramFoot just applied.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Applied to club, psn muscleslikethis

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
So I was kind of hoping that my club could win a competition this week, since only the one that beat us in last week's round seemed very motivated. I signed on just now to see that in the new bracket, second- through sixth-place all had 0 points...and the club in first place has 2,147,483,647.

What the hell. Is that even possible, especially in less than a day? :stare:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

effervescible posted:

So I was kind of hoping that my club could win a competition this week, since only the one that beat us in last week's round seemed very motivated. I signed on just now to see that in the new bracket, second- through sixth-place all had 0 points...and the club in first place has 2,147,483,647.

What the hell. Is that even possible, especially in less than a day? :stare:
Course not, that's the max value for a signed integer though - either the club code broke or someone figured out how to give themselves arbitrary points.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Added to OP. Also applied as macnbc.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Ah, that'd explain it. It just looked liked a string of random numbers to me, not anything meaningful. Well, I submitted a ticket with Ubi support, I guess they'll either fix it or we wait another week to try.

CheGayvara
Oct 30, 2010
LGSA is winning handsomely so far in the club comp, we are silver division 2 as well. I think the prize is legendary sans-culottes trousers though so that drat Napoleonic cuirass remains ever elusive.

Another reminder to post in here when you apply to join, a lot of weird usernames asking for invites; are bots a thing on uplay?

And I can only promote and invite folks to co-op if they add me as a friend on uplay as well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While some of the murder mysteries make sense, others just feel kind of arbitrary. I was doing the Uplay one and I have no idea how you are supposed to come to the conclusions the game gives you once you finish it. Obviously you're supposed to realize that the whole murder was just an accident and actually the murderer was just trying to knock over a vial of potassium into some water to create an explosion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Compared to the open world segments of Arkham City or Origins that are chock full of skyscrapers?

Yes, actually.The Arkham games are designed with things at all levels so you're generally encouraged not to just stick to the rooftops. It has things like floor grates or other gimmicks which make it entirely worthwhile to approach stealth from below or the same level. They have a lot of tall buildings but the design isn't based around them the way AC with its huge emphasis on height is. There are even DLC characters who can't use grapple points and the stealth levels work for them as well. You do glide around a lot but the focus is pretty different. (Not to mention Arkham Asylum not even offering that and Arkham Knight making its big selling point a ground vehicle.)

This isn't a bad thing as AC having a height focus is really cool when it works, but all of Assassin's Creed (aside from maybe the boat games) is based around height. There's a reason the eagle vision and leap into haystacks are iconic imagery for the franchise. It's a game where climbing up high and travelling the rooftops (or the trees) is a huge part of the games not based around sailing.It isn't a bad thing because climbing up cool historical buildings is awesome.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 6, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Also remember to post in the thread so we know you're applying to LGSA. Otherwise I'm just gonna keep telling this gogobot motherfucker to eat a dick.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm in the group but when I look at the member list I only see my name a thousand times. Is that "normal"?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Kuiperdolin posted:

I'm in the group but when I look at the member list I only see my name a thousand times. Is that "normal"?

Hey guys we found the bot!

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Dead Kings is launching on the 13th.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Space Racist posted:

Dead Kings is launching on the 13th.

Any news about the China game?

KramFoot
Sep 25, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

Any news about the China game?

None yet, but I imagine if it isn't released next week, then Febaury would be my bet.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

This must be the only game I've played on the Xboner where playing for too long makes the console UI slowly become more unstable until it slows down to a crawl and crashes, then eventually the game itself losing sound then freezing during a loading screen. The only fix being doing a hard reboot. Amazing.

It also seems like the way they "fixed" the combat was by slowing everything to a snail's pace to the point where audio and animations are all out of sync. And even then it's still as easy as ever except you spam smoke bombs and flash grenades.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Kuiperdolin posted:

Ubisoft normal.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Hey guys I'm the guy that started the psn club. Right after it happened my internet went out and I haven't added anyone yet. Sorry for the inconvenience it should be fixed today so I can probably do it tonight or tomorrow at the latest if it's not fixed tonight. Unless anyone knows a way I can add members while not actually being in the game.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Hey guys I'm the guy that started the psn club. Right after it happened my internet went out and I haven't added anyone yet. Sorry for the inconvenience it should be fixed today so I can probably do it tonight or tomorrow at the latest if it's not fixed tonight. Unless anyone knows a way I can add members while not actually being in the game.

Dang, hope it gets sorted. Applied to GBG0 as xopherwhite.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Alright internet is back up and I added everyone to the new PSN club, there was a person I haven't accepted yet named Colbey99 because I didn't get a message from him or a post in the forums, so if you could post here or respond to my message i'll add you to make sure you are from the forums.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So does the game work on Nvidia yet? I have an i52500 (no k so no overclock) and a 760.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Runs pretty good on my I5-3570k and Nvidia 970. The only thing I can complain about is that it will freeze for about 10 seconds every half hour.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

So does the game work on Nvidia yet? I have an i52500 (no k so no overclock) and a 760.

I'm running a GTX 650 TI and I can run the game on low pretty fine. Like Ahdinko said though, it will freeze every half hour or so but it only lasts a few seconds. Some indoor areas can become super choppy but for the most part the game is pretty playable.

CheGayvara
Oct 30, 2010

Kuiperdolin posted:

Go back the last few pages and the people who joined as friends on uplay. If they accept you will see them. I have the same bug otherwise I would write everyones' usernames and post them. You will still get club prizes but might have trouble starting co-ops with other club members.

I'll add you on uplay tonight (in about 20 hours or so hopefully) when I finally come back online after a pretty trying week.

Edit: end of game spoilers:

Well that was anti climactic. Abstergo won't bother looking for Germain after all? So we could have done nothing and had the same outcome? What happened with the assassins? Did Arno reconcile with them? If so, how? What about the precursors? Could we not get a cameo of Jupiter as the father of understanding of something? I think this was the first game since AC1 not to feature precursors. Are we to assume they just sort of gave up trying to enslave humanity?

I also think the lack of present day segments made this game feel a bit like filler. It's difficult to grasp the stakes as a veteran player, and must be impossible for people new to the series. What is Abstergo doing now? Just hoovering up more DNA? Are we going to get a new big bad CEO to drive the story forward or is the series just going to be little historical vignettes with minimal connection to each other? I know a lot of people hated them but they drove the story forward, which this game didn't do in any way, shape or form.

This game also felt considerably shorter. Perhaps ubisoft are following EA and copying the 'fill the game with MMO sidequests so we don't have to bother with the actual story so much' a la Dragon Age Inquisition. Black Flag had a lot of stuff to do but the main story felt significantly longer.

CheGayvara fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 10, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Can someone help me with 10 sync kills in coop? Psn hey Sellouts

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ahdinko posted:

Runs pretty good on my I5-3570k and Nvidia 970. The only thing I can complain about is that it will freeze for about 10 seconds every half hour.

That freeze sounds like a GPU crashing error, I don't run into it at all. My GTX770 runs smoothly enough--probably in the 30-40fps range with reasonably high settings and no Vsync--but slows down a little after about sixty to ninety minutes when my graphics card starts to get too hot.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

The White Dragon posted:

That freeze sounds like a GPU crashing error, I don't run into it at all. My GTX770 runs smoothly enough--probably in the 30-40fps range with reasonably high settings and no Vsync--but slows down a little after about sixty to ninety minutes when my graphics card starts to get too hot.

I have a GTX 970 and get the freezing bug.

The freeze is to do with some weird bugginess with the npc's. If you pay attention when the freezes happen you're pretty much see some npc's starting some weird physics thing right before the freeze, some npc's "popping in" right after the freeze finishes or one of those random npc street events generating right after the freeze.

It didn't happen every time but it was consistent enough over a larger time period for it to clearly be a problem with the game rather than my card.

It also wasn't really an issue during the first hour or so of the game but as i unlocked more of the city i noticed it became more prevalent. I'm convinced that Ubisoft only playtested the initial island you start on and there's some weird poo poo that kicks in, that the game cant handle, once you explore the whole city and anyone that hasn't encountered most of this hasn't really gotten far enough into the game for it to trigger.

Hence all the crashing bugs people encountered when eventually venturing into the southern part of the map (i bet the constant freezing is still tied to this somehow).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I dunno, I've done my fair share of running around in south Paris, plus a couple multiplayer missions too. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Speaking of NPCs, I dunno if this is a bug or what, but I noticed the weirdest thing last night: the priests in red (Cardinals?) seem to all be super-low res for me. All the other NPCs are normal and fine, but those specific guys are PS2-level quality with their darkened eye areas, blocky heads, and mitten hands.

• Locked thread