Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

try it with a lime posted:

Agreeing with 8th that HP5 pushes a little more organically to 3200. I like Tri-X from 400-1600, but it starts getting a little too messy at 3200.

Depends on what you push it with, HC-110 is alright in semistand up to 6400. "Alright" is a relative term in TYOOL 2014 where digital sensors murder evrything film has ever done above iso 800

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Helicity posted:

gently caress, I love this thread and the medium/large format. You bastards prompted me to ditch my digital gear, and I love you for it.

:getin:

Thanks!

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!

Yond Cassius posted:

Reminder for everyone who received Astia! I haven't received any film yet, so unless your slice is in the mail, please do the following:

OR!

B - Chicken out. Once the Astia thread goes up, make one of your pictures a reaction to something posted there. You can recreate the shot, poke fun at it, argue with it, steal some prominent element for something completely unrelated... engage it in some kind of artistic conversation. However, since you're taking the (relatively) easy way out, you should also make a donation to PhotoCenter NW, $2.50 for every month of extension you want, which feels like a pretty nominal cost going to a good cause. Proof is appreciated but I'll take it on the honor system.

I've got a roll already shot, and one halfway with 5 frame left in my camera, but I'm jobless at the moment and can't afford more film until that's taken care of. I still have to find someone local to send my film out from.

The Modern Sky fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 2, 2015

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Understanding posted:

I've got a roll already shot, and one halfway with 5 frame left in my camera, but I'm jobless at the moment and can't afford more film until that's taken care of. I still have to find someone local to send my film out from.

LTI Lightside is pretty close to you, I think. Take your time if money is tight, but do try not to let it drag out too long.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Scored a Universal Roamer II at a thrift store for 8 bucks. My first step into medium format and I'd like some 120 recommendations for HC-110. Also any place selling 120 for less than 8 bucks a roll? Thanks!

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
I have a good amount of HC-110 that expired last Feburary. Anyway I can still use this stuff and it not gently caress my negs up? I'd hate to throw it away, but didn't know how lenient that expiration date is. I thought I remember reading that it could last pretty well past it, but don't know if I need to make any adjustments for the dilution.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

pootiebigwang posted:

I have a good amount of HC-110 that expired last Feburary. Anyway I can still use this stuff and it not gently caress my negs up? I'd hate to throw it away, but didn't know how lenient that expiration date is. I thought I remember reading that it could last pretty well past it, but don't know if I need to make any adjustments for the dilution.

There are some guys on APUG that swear HC-110 is only really old when it's way past expired and brown and goopy.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
HC-110 will leak out of the plastic bottle long before it's no longer suitable for use as a developer. If you can pour it you can use it, just like rodinal.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

From what I've heard, HC-110 turns more and more yellow-brown as it oxidises so you should increase the concentration slightly more the darker it is.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I bought a bottle called a "datatainer" to decant my HC-110 because I'm terrified of all the leaky bottle stories I've read.

The bottle for my Compard R-09 by comparison is bullet proof and sometimes I can't open the child proof cap, so basically you should buy Rodinal because the bottle is an heirloom investment piece.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

ASSTASTIC posted:

Also any place selling 120 for less than 8 bucks a roll? Thanks!

You can get $3-5 rolls of film basically everywhere online if you buy 5-packs, including all the favorites: Tri-X, HP5, Portra, Ektar, etc. B&W is slightly cheaper than color from what I've seen.

Freestyle
Adorama
B&H
Amazon

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

8th-snype posted:

HC-110 will leak out of the plastic bottle long before it's no longer suitable for use as a developer. If you can pour it you can use it, just like rodinal.

Yup, my bottle split after like 3 years.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Shot some Tri-X with the F100 at my brothers wedding that I was the photographer for. I think I might have a crack at wet printing this one (x-posted in the wedding thread):

Julie & Dad by mr_student, on Flickr

basch
May 24, 2014

so I was trying that portra 400 thing everyone loves so much and some of my shots ended up rather dull, colour-wise:

(I was expecting the foreground to be less pale)

But others were alright:

Am I just expecting too much of unedited scans here?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

basch posted:

so I was trying that portra 400 thing everyone loves so much and some of my shots ended up rather dull, colour-wise:

(I was expecting the foreground to be less pale)

But others were alright:

Am I just expecting too much of unedited scans here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_qeZOWqchM

basch
May 24, 2014

Okay fair enough :v:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Anybody in the Bay Area want an Omega D2 enlarger? I think it needs a bulb, I only use the other one and IIRC it's because only one had a working bulb. Otherwise seems... pretty ok? It's free, in Livermore.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
First b&w dev turned out super ok I think. Some pictures lack contrast while others have too much but w-e.
I don't see any weird marks either so the whole experience is a net positive.

(those are shite scans from small prints)

It was HP5 pushed to 1600.
I have to give props to you people who peer pressured me into trying it so cheers.

e:

Pukestain Pal posted:

I couldn't believe how easy it was. Everytime I do it, I am still surprised it worked though.

Exactly, it also was also weird to retrieve visual information by pouring chemicals and vinegar in a black plastic box.

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 8, 2015

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

unpacked robinhood posted:

I have to give props to you people who peer pressured me into trying it so cheers.

I couldn't believe how easy it was. Everytime I do it, I am still surprised it worked though.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

If you're worried about high contrast doing push development probably isn't the best idea

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Every time I develop film, I screw up some new thing that I have never screwed up before, and it's only ever really negatively affected one roll that I can think of.

And seriously, I've screwed up a lot, including pouring out the developer too early and then mixing a new batch to finish off the the roll before moving on to stop/fix.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Gonna buy some new developer tonight -- pretty sure I want HC110 unless anybody can think of some significant reason to get XTOL instead.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

voodoorootbeer posted:

Gonna buy some new developer tonight -- pretty sure I want HC110 unless anybody can think of some significant reason to get XTOL instead.

I really like X-Tol, the only problem for me is that it comes in 5l bags. And since it's an A-B solution you will have to mix all five litres of it. But it's very environmentally friendly, good for pushing and gives you nice tones. Oh it also lasts way way way longer than Kodak specifies.

I mainly use concentrate developers such as Rodinal/HC110/DD-X etc. for speed and convenience, but my main developer has always been X-Tol.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

HC-110 is a great developer, but it's too viscous to measure easily, it smells kind of bad (worse smelling than fix and stays on your hands longer), and the bottles it comes in tend to leak. Technically, you're supposed to dilute the HC-110 into a stock concentration (which I think solves the viscosity problem) and then dilute some stock into a working solution. The problem there is that the stock solution has a way shorter shelf life than if you left the bottle alone. The bottle lasts for years and years, and some say HC-110 is even better when it turns brown and lumpy after a few years.

That said, HC-110 seems to be the most popular liquid concentrate developer around, so there are lots of recipes online for anything you can think of to try to do. It has high acutance while not making overly grainy negs. It also is passable but not exceptional for stand development.

To be honest, if I were kitting out a new home development operation, I would start with Rodinal before buying HC-110. Rodinal doesn't smell bad and is an easier viscosity to work with, but it does give you grainier images than HC-110 (but some say it also gives more perceived edge sharpness in high contrast scenes).

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

mulls posted:

To be honest, if I were kitting out a new home development operation, I would start with Rodinal before buying HC-110. Rodinal doesn't smell bad and is an easier viscosity to work with, but it does give you grainier images than HC-110 (but some say it also gives more perceived edge sharpness in high contrast scenes).

That's exactly what I did and I still like Rodinal but there's a time and a place for it. I want a solvent developer for finer grain and 5L of working solution sounds like a pain to deal with.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
I like HC-110 because I can use it as a one shot developer which extends its shelf life pretty dramatically. Just developed some negs with some where the developer was one year past it's expiration date and it worked just as well as it did when it was fresh. Overall I am biased because it is the only developer I have ever used, but it is very versatile and there are dev times for every film imaginable.

Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

mulls posted:

HC-110 is a great developer, but it's too viscous to measure easily, it smells kind of bad (worse smelling than fix and stays on your hands longer), and the bottles it comes in tend to leak. Technically, you're supposed to dilute the HC-110 into a stock concentration (which I think solves the viscosity problem) and then dilute some stock into a working solution. The problem there is that the stock solution has a way shorter shelf life than if you left the bottle alone. The bottle lasts for years and years, and some say HC-110 is even better when it turns brown and lumpy after a few years.

That said, HC-110 seems to be the most popular liquid concentrate developer around, so there are lots of recipes online for anything you can think of to try to do. It has high acutance while not making overly grainy negs. It also is passable but not exceptional for stand development.

Measure HC-110 with syringes. You can pick up 10cc ones and metal cannulas cheap on ebay.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

8th-snype posted:

Measure HC-110 with syringes. You can pick up 10cc ones and metal cannulas cheap on ebay.

Yeah HC-110 is probably the easiest developer to measure quickly if you just use syringes and syrup. 6mL per roll.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Maybe my syringes are bad, but it's too viscous to go through the blunt needle and using the syringe without the needle means it doesn't reach far enough into the bottle. I just eyeball it with a graduated beaker, and it's fine.

HC-110 is great, so go get it, but fair warning: it smells bad.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

mulls posted:

Maybe my syringes are bad, but it's too viscous to go through the blunt needle and using the syringe without the needle means it doesn't reach far enough into the bottle. I just eyeball it with a graduated beaker, and it's fine.

Yeah, it's your syringe. A nurse gave me a few empty plastic ones without needles out of her purse once and they've lasted me for years. I don't really notice any kind of smell since it goes straight from bottle -> syringe -> working solution.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

mulls posted:

a) get oral syringes (no needles, wide bore) b) pour the HC-110 into a little plastic beaker (like the ones you get with cough syrup) first

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
So I've learned that my Yashica Mat has terrible flare problems. If there is a light source even remotely close to the frame, it bleeds across the entire image. Need to get a lens hood, and probably flock the interior too. Despite that it still makes pictures, although they are admittedly not very good :v:

Ilford Delta-3200 taken at 3200, but I was pretty sure I underexposed everything, so I pushed to 6400 in stock D-76.

Blanket Texture by zacharytong, on Flickr

Begging by zacharytong, on Flickr

What's the best way to keep negatives clean prior-to and during scanning? I did the whole shower steam thing before hanging to dry, then transferred to a sleeve after the strip dried. I wiped down my "scanning" apparatus (DSLR scanning setup) with a microfiber cloth, but still managed to get tons of dust and little fibers all over the final images. Should I just expect that all scans will need some photoshop cloning love?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I find that wiping with a microfiber cloth just imparts more dust onto the negatives. Hanging in a humid environment is a good way to keep dust from settling in the emulsion when it's wet, but when you go to scan, just blow them clean with some compressed air.

Yours don't look too bad, though. Set the photoshop clone brush to "content aware" and go to town.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I use a small art brush (soft hair) on negatives I'm scanning or printing, it's pretty easy to get dust off then.

Also, for the Yashica Mat check that the taking lens is clean. Set it to fully open aperture, bulb exposure, open the back and hold the shutter open.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

polyfractal posted:

So I've learned that my Yashica Mat has terrible flare problems. If there is a light source even remotely close to the frame, it bleeds across the entire image. Need to get a lens hood, and probably flock the interior too. Despite that it still makes pictures, although they are admittedly not very good :v:

Flocking fixed the problem almost entirely on my Mat. I'd look into that before a lens hood.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Syringe chat:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blunt-dispe...=item3cdcbb50c0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weller-Luer-Lock-Syringe-20cc-Assembled-5Pcs-M20LLBA-/400786301190?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d50b9a106

Buy these and be set for many years.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

The gently caress you need needles for at all? As I was saying, just decant a little syrup so you can just use the blunt tip of the syringes to suck up the developer.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

MrBlandAverage posted:

The gently caress you need needles for at all? As I was saying, just decant a little syrup so you can just use the blunt tip of the syringes to suck up the developer.

I like them for reaching into the bottle when it gets low and it lets me use the syringe to stir solutions even in my larger graduated cylinder. Not strictly necessary but convenient. Not like blunted needles are dangerous or anything.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What's a decent place to order A4 negative sleeves with binder holes in europe ? Ebay doesn't seem to have lots of choices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

BANME.sh posted:

I find that wiping with a microfiber cloth just imparts more dust onto the negatives. Hanging in a humid environment is a good way to keep dust from settling in the emulsion when it's wet, but when you go to scan, just blow them clean with some compressed air.

Yours don't look too bad, though. Set the photoshop clone brush to "content aware" and go to town.

nielsm posted:

I use a small art brush (soft hair) on negatives I'm scanning or printing, it's pretty easy to get dust off then.

Ah, I didn't even think about compressed air or a soft brush. Will try that next time, and skip the the microfiber...I agree, it didn't seem to help and probably contributed all the little fibers.

nielsm posted:

Also, for the Yashica Mat check that the taking lens is clean. Set it to fully open aperture, bulb exposure, open the back and hold the shutter open.

Just did this last weekend actually. I accidentally triggered the timer function which caused the shutter to jam, so I had to disassemble it to free up the shutter. While I had everything open I gave all the lenses a good cleaning.

Shellman posted:

Flocking fixed the problem almost entirely on my Mat. I'd look into that before a lens hood.

Did you use this stuff, or something else? I have some dark, black velvet in a closet leftover from an old project...I'm wondering if I can just use that instead?