Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

RuanGacho posted:

I'm really not sure what to make of the 2014 turnout since apparently it means all the liberals that exist at all didn't show up in the worst rate since I think someone said 1928 or something like that?

Its telling that the Republicans haven't been really celebrating their victory like they did in 2010, which could be in part because of the establishment kicking out a fair amount of the red meat candidates and the lack of turnout or some mix therein.

Its hard to scream about how you have a mandate when the retort is "From who?"

Its because in the senate they got about the amount of victories that was expected. North Carolina was the only race that people can point to as having been won by the under-dog. The house had a lot of near misses and some legitimate victories but after 06, 08 and 10 it was an underwhelming gain. You can say "most seats since X" but reality is that 2010 and the subsequent redistricting did most of that work for them.

Not to mention the fact that 2010 resulted in real changes in the direction of policy, if Obama makes use of his vetoes, or if moderates in the senate start poo-pooing legislation, 2014 won't really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
Remember in 2010 when McConnell said the main goal was to make Obama a one term President?
The goal now is:

Mitch McConnell posted:

Mitch McConnell has an unusual admonition for the new Republican majority as it takes over the Senate this week: Don’t be “scary.”
... “There would be nothing frightening about adding a Republican president to that governing majority,” McConnell said, explaining how he wants voters to view the party on the eve of the 2016 election. “I think that’s the single best thing we can do, is to not mess up the playing field, if you will, for whoever the nominee ultimately is.”

It seems like leadership wants to control the crazy as long as possible so people don't get the wrong idea about the Republican party. Even they know how precarious their position is, but they also know they have a 50/50 shot at winning everything in 2016 if they play their cards right.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

This is a great move for Sanders. Kelton is probably the most formidable advocate for MMT not named Galbraith, and hopefully it means that Bernie will sufficiently well-briefed to actually sustain a debate on these issues in the 2016 debates. This will have a nice trickle-down effect where other main stream economists like Krugman will have to explain the contours of the debate for their readers.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Pohl posted:

Remember in 2010 when McConnell said the main goal was to make Obama a one term President?
The goal now is:

It seems like leadership wants to control the crazy as long as possible so people don't get the wrong idea about the Republican party. Even they know how precarious their position is, but they also know they have a 50/50 shot at winning everything in 2016 if they play their cards right.
Let's see how long that lasts. When's the next CR coming up?

EDIT: Or the next debt ceiling fight? I predict disaster and stupid brinkmanship.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 10, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

McAlister posted:

What's the biggest problem for democrats in elections?

Getting out the vote.

A Bush opponent will get out the dem vote in a way that a Romney opponent simply would not while not having any advantages over Romney in getting out the GOP vote since wedge groups like the no-choicers held their nose and voted for Romney despite his lack of support for their policies.

Edit: flip flipping on their policies I should say as he supported them when seeking their vote.

Yeah speaking as a young person who didn't vote in mid-terms because of how many hoops would have been involved I would call out of work and walk across hot coals to vote against Bush III.

I gather that most of my age cohort has similar feelings.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Does anyone really think that a Jeb Bush candidacy wouldn't be full of the same folks as the W Bush presidency? They will be pulling people from the same networks, and short of snubbing a lot of people which would cause its own set of problems, there will be plenty of familiar faces the Dems can point at to tie the two together.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

RuanGacho posted:

Having read a linked description of MMT linked in that post there's only one thing that I think they have right over the more common economists these days and that is that the behavior of banks borrowing from the government must be accounted for instead of ignored. They rightfully point out that banks just sat on the additional money the federal stimulus economic policy has generated but mainstream economists will never admit this as long as it might give credence to "surpluses are bad" and "defaulting is impossible!" *invests in Russia, loses 850 million and whines that it was Russia's fault for not being MMT enough*
http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...uPMR_story.html

I won't deny that there are flaws in the Keynesian models, and Saint Greenspan and the neo monetarists are in disgrace after the financial collapse, but MMT largely sounds like an excuse to cut taxes and get more growth because reasons.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Does anyone really think that a Jeb Bush candidacy wouldn't be full of the same folks as the W Bush presidency? They will be pulling people from the same networks, and short of snubbing a lot of people which would cause its own set of problems, there will be plenty of familiar faces the Dems can point at to tie the two together.
I don't remember so well, but how did GWB respond to criticisms of his father when he was asked? I mean, the situation isn't the same since his father wasn't one of the worst presidents ever, but I'd like to know the tactics presidential candidates usually use in these family situations. Can you just say "I'm my own person, I don't represent my father/brother/husband" and they leave you alone? Surely not.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Let's see how long that lasts. When's the next CR coming up?

EDIT: Or the next debt ceiling fight? I predict disaster and stupid brinkmanship.

March. The tea party wing has already started claiming the establishment plan as theirs so we will see how it shakes out

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't remember so well, but how did GWB respond to criticisms of his father when he was asked? I mean, the situation isn't the same since his father wasn't one of the worst presidents ever, but I'd like to know the tactics presidential candidates usually use in these family situations. Can you just say "I'm my own person, I don't represent my father/brother/husband" and they leave you alone? Surely not.

The major criticism of HW's presidency was raising taxes though so it's doubtful that Democrats would attack GWB the same way.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Samurai Sanders posted:

It won't be brought up directly much at all because that gives Jeb an opportunity to confront it. The smart players will maybe hint toward the issue a little, but mostly just let the perception people already have simmer.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

sullat posted:

Just what we need, another generation of voodoo economics. This time from the left.

Did you ever see 'Wolf of Wall Street'? At the beginning Matthew McConaughey's character talks about how economic prosperity is largely driven by subjective optimism. MMT is interesting, and there is an argument to be made that as long as the dollar is the underlying global currency deficits don't necessarily matter. What matters is:

1) How the people feel - there is no reason shelves today should be bare in Venezuela or any other American market. Keeping them stocked benefits everyone, yes?
2) The development and implementation of new technologies (health, energy, communication) on an industrial scale.

The US technological sophistication could maintain the dollar's status as an economic 'lingua franca' for a time as we move away from an oil-based economy.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Pohl posted:

The goal now is:

Failing that, he can fight to make Obama a two-term president, because we know how much he hates the constitution. :argh:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

McAlister posted:

What's the biggest problem for democrats in elections?

Getting out the vote.

A Bush opponent will get out the dem vote in a way that a Romney opponent simply would not while not having any advantages over Romney in getting out the GOP vote since wedge groups like the no-choicers held their nose and voted for Romney despite his lack of support for their policies.

Edit: flip flipping on their policies I should say as he supported them when seeking their vote.

Would gender help Hillary get out the vote? I don't know much about it on the whole, but anecdotally, I knew several women who were very excited about working hard to get Hillary elected in 2008. It seems like the Republicans have primed the electorate for a fight over women's issues in 2016.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

sullat posted:

I won't deny that there are flaws in the Keynesian models, and Saint Greenspan and the neo monetarists are in disgrace after the financial collapse, but MMT largely sounds like an excuse to cut taxes and get more growth because reasons.

It's pretty darn pro spending though, which is the important thing.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

sullat posted:

It doesn't sound like this is what the theory supports at all.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Can somebody who knows more about economics than me post a small MMT primer? I gathered some from googling but I am not sure if I'm correct on all of it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

hangedman1984 posted:

I really hope that rear end in a top hat finally faces some consequences for being the kind of violent thug his victim was painted as.

Even if he does it's just liberals trying to get him because he defended himself from super hulk thug Travon Martin because the idea Zimmerman is a dangerous and violent psycho who took a gun and followed a kid who he then murdered is clearly not possible as Zimmerman's got no history of such violence. :freep:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
If Zimmerman keeps up with this you'd imagine that the freeper crowd would just go "oh well he's not REALLY white, P.S. send all Spanish-speakers back to where they came from"

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Arrested for standing your ground with a wine bottle. This drat country is going straight to hell.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

GreyPowerVan posted:

Can somebody who knows more about economics than me post a small MMT primer? I gathered some from googling but I am not sure if I'm correct on all of it.

Warren Mosler published a very easy primer on MMT some time back called The Seven Deadly Innocent Frauds of Economic Policy.

Warren Mosler posted:

Seven Deadly Innocent Frauds of Economic Policy

Deadly Innocent Fraud #1:

The federal government must raise funds through taxation or borrowing in order to spend. In other words, government spending is limited by its ability to tax or borrow.

Fact:

Federal government spending is in no case operationally constrained by revenues, meaning that there is no “solvency risk.” In other words, the federal government can always make any and all payments in its own currency, no matter how large the deficit is, or how few taxes it collects.

Deadly Innocent Fraud #2:

With government deficits, we are leaving our debt burden to our children.

Fact:

Collectively, in real terms, there is no such burden possible. Debt or no debt, our children get to consume whatever they can produce.

Deadly Innocent Fraud #3:

Federal Government budget deficits take away savings.

Fact:

Federal Government budget deficits ADD to savings.

Deadly Innocent Fraud #4:

Social Security is broken.

Fact:

Federal Government Checks Don’t Bounce.

Deadly Innocent Fraud #5:

The trade deficit is an unsustainable imbalance that takes away jobs and output.

Facts:

Imports are real benefits and exports are real costs. Trade deficits directly improve our standard of living. Jobs are lost because taxes are too high for a given level of government spending, not because of imports.

Deadly Innocent Fraud #6:

We need savings to provide the funds for investment.

Fact:

Investment adds to savings.

Deadly Innocent Fraud #7:

It’s a bad thing that higher deficits today mean higher taxes tomorrow.

Fact:

I agree - the innocent fraud is that it’s a bad thing, when in fact it’s a good thing!!!

You should be able to skim the first page of each chapter and get a general idea about most of these questions in ten minutes.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 10, 2015

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

420DD Butts posted:

It doesn't sound like this is what the theory supports at all.
Based on that summary (admittedly I'm not an economist) the idea is that taxes aren't a fundraising tool for the government, since the government doesn't really need to raise money via taxes. In tough times it says "hey, cut taxes and deficit spend like a motherfucker" apparently. This isn't because they think taxes are a bad thing, or have too much to do with economic growth or health, but because deficit spending is good (in all situations). Tax rates aren't there to raise money. They're there to regulate economic growth and keep people using the government currency. I'm not sure about the whole thing, but it's certainly a different take. It combines a real acknowledgement that money's just some poo poo we invented to keep track of things with the insight that government budgets have nothing in common with any other kind of budgets (because governments can print money).

So yeah, they kind of are in favor of tax cuts, but not because low tax rates have much of anything important to do with growth.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Based on that summary (admittedly I'm not an economist) the idea is that taxes aren't a fundraising tool for the government, since the government doesn't really need to raise money via taxes. In tough times it says "hey, cut taxes and deficit spend like a motherfucker" apparently. This isn't because they think taxes are a bad thing, or have too much to do with economic growth or health, but because deficit spending is good (in all situations). Tax rates aren't there to raise money. They're there to regulate economic growth and keep people using the government currency. I'm not sure about the whole thing, but it's certainly a different take. It combines a real acknowledgement that money's just some poo poo we invented to keep track of things with the insight that government budgets have nothing in common with any other kind of budgets (because governments can print money).

So yeah, they kind of are in favor of tax cuts, but not because low tax rates have much of anything important to do with growth.

Based on that Mosler summary, it would seem less like they are in favor of tax cuts and more that they don't care about tax rates as an economic tool at all. And that's precisely the feel I got from the Vox piece as well.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

420DD Butts posted:

Based on that Mosler summary, it would seem less like they are in favor of tax cuts and more that they don't care about tax rates as an economic tool at all. And that's precisely the feel I got from the Vox piece as well.
The Wapo piece posted talked about tax cuts, but yeah, you're probably right. It's probably more along the lines of "taxes? who loving cares so long as there are taxes?"

EDIT: vvvv that's probably even more accurate. I don't know, I'm no expert. It sounds interesting and something I'd like to read a bit more about, thanks for the Mosler link.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

420DD Butts posted:

Tax rates are important for a host of reasons, including many of the conventional ones like wealth redistribution and encouraging or discouraging certain types of economic behavior. It's just that "funding the Federal Government" isn't one of them.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

amanasleep posted:

Warren Mosler published a very easy primer on MMT some time back called The Seven Deadly Innocent Frauds of Economic Policy.

This is one of the most :downs: things I've ever read. Let's look at how successful pretty much purely printing currency to fund the government has worked out for Zimbabwe...

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I don't think it's bad to had an alternative narrative to the neo-liberal Greenspan types but I would rather incrementally experiment with alternative theories than say toss out the whole of any given existing economic policy for something as unproven as Austrian economics. They made a correct observation in that the banks just sat on the money they made off the government policy and it didn't improve liquidity so we should investigate that further. I also think the general thrust of "banks need to be accounted for" is very good because our current system seems very specifically designed to keep banks able to siphon money out of the economy for their own enrichment to the detriment of society without it ever being part of the conversation. The finance industry doesn't want you to talk or think about them beyond the stock numbers.

That is why when you're driving home with NPR on you get this surreal 1 minute summary where a calm voice tells you that things are looking up for the economy because job growth was the greatest it's ever been since 2008, but wages remained flat so that's kind of a problem huh? But onto the REAL economic news, the Down is down 200 points today!

It's almost as if the stock market means jack poo poo except as a confidence measure for the wealthy.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

amanasleep posted:

Tax rates are important for a host of reasons, including many of the conventional ones like wealth redistribution and encouraging or discouraging certain types of economic behavior. It's just that "funding the Federal Government" isn't one of them.

It's certainly a novel idea.

ThirdPartyView posted:

This is one of the most :downs: things I've ever read. Let's look at how successful pretty much purely printing currency to fund the government has worked out for Zimbabwe...

They do make some extremely valid points, though. Debt (in theory) should have no bearing on anything since consumption is based upon a society's productivity, not on some nebulous currency concept.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

ThirdPartyView posted:

I am eager to hear your explanation for why Zimbabwe experienced hyperinflation along with your well-founded discussion on why the finances of a third world kleptocracy are totally the same as those of the richest country in the world whose currency is the reserve currency of all the others.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

420DD Butts posted:

They do make some extremely valid points, though. Debt (in theory) should have no bearing on anything since consumption is based upon a society's productivity, not on some nebulous currency concept.

That's because debt is a legal concept, and ask Argentina how well things went when they told creditors to gently caress off (on several occasions).

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ThirdPartyView posted:

That's because debt is a legal concept, and ask Argentina how well things went when they told creditors to gently caress off (on several occasions).

You're mixing up the existence of debt with its payment. Debt doesn't matter if you're capable of making the payments, if you can't make the payments and tell investors to gently caress off then you're loving yourself over on future foreign investment.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Essentially what Raskolnikov said. Debt isn't a real concern for a country like the US, it only becomes a concern as a political bludgeon for austerity.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

You're mixing up the existence of debt with its payment. Debt doesn't matter if you're capable of making the payments, if you can't make the payments and tell investors to gently caress off then you're loving yourself over on future foreign investment.

The real question is whether a sovereign currency issuer's debts are denominated in its own currency or in a foreign currency. In the case of the Argentinian default their long-time decision to rigidly peg their currency to the dollar left them with huge dollar-denominated debts. Paying these types of debts is very difficult and can constrain the real output of the economy. Default for any country is always a political decision. In the case of Argentina it seems to have been a good one, but it remains to be seen how the post-default restructuring of the Argentinian economy will turn out.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

computer parts posted:

Actually, it's quite likely that primary voters would reject him for that reason. Dubya has been demonized on the Right as being a liberal who bailed out banks.

Horseshit. There was a poll a little while back where teabaggers gave Bush a 90%+ approval rating. They may not approve of his alleged "liberal" deviations, but they mainly view him as the guy who treated the job creators with respect and kept us safe from Saddaam Hussein.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure that states can't file for bankruptcy but, Kansas is about to test the limits. Brownback had his chief of staff send up a trial ballon today saying that the Governor's proposed budget this week would include "proposals to increase tax revenue".

quote:

Although the budget will include what he called revenue enhancements, Hummel said the bulk of the administration’s proposals would focus on curbing spending. “It’s not so much cutting spending as limiting the growth in spending,” he said.

He confirmed that education spending, which Brownback left largely unscathed in the plan he announced last month to trim this year’s budget, would not remain untouched this time around.

“School finance will be part of our budget conversation,” Hummel said. “The governor feels like the growth in spending that’s occurred the last several years in school finance is unsustainable. He’s going to encourage them (the Legislature) to look at ways to do that, to address that. There’s different ways to do it. You could reform the current system or you go to a completely new system.”

As lawmakers mull over a potential budget fix, they do so with the knowledge that a three-judge panel ruled late last month that Kansas schools are unconstitutionally underfunded. If the Kansas Supreme Court upholds that ruling, the budget gap will widen.

Standard & Poor's, a bond rating agency that downgraded Kansas last year, released an analysis of the state's finances Friday that said the court ruling and projected deficit "raise additional obstacles” to balancing the budget in the next fiscal year and beyond.

It will be interesting to see if Brownback sticks with the idea of "increasing revenue" or if he claims his chief of staff misspoke and demands more tax cuts on top of education cuts.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

radical meme posted:

I'm pretty sure that states can't file for bankruptcy but, Kansas is about to test the limits. Brownback had his chief of staff send up a trial ballon today saying that the Governor's proposed budget this week would include "proposals to increase tax revenue".

It will be interesting to see if Brownback sticks with the idea of "increasing revenue" or if he claims his chief of staff misspoke and demands more tax cuts on top of education cuts.

Changing to a completely new system always seems like a way to save money... at least if they're going to charter and private schools :smith:

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

amanasleep posted:

The real question is whether a sovereign currency issuer's debts are denominated in its own currency or in a foreign currency. In the case of the Argentinian default their long-time decision to rigidly peg their currency to the dollar left them with huge dollar-denominated debts. Paying these types of debts is very difficult and can constrain the real output of the economy. Default for any country is always a political decision. In the case of Argentina it seems to have been a good one, but it remains to be seen how the post-default restructuring of the Argentinian economy will turn out.

One of the author's personal anecdotes actually involves that as part of how he came to his current line of thinking. Basically the Italian government was offering 14% interest rates on its bonds due to perceived default risk while Italian banks were making loans at 12%. But since the lira wasn't pegged or convertible there was actually zero risk since they'd just print the money anyhow. So he borrowed huge amounts of lira from the banks, bought bonds with it and used the money from the matured bonds to pay back the banks.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr Interweb posted:

Horseshit. There was a poll a little while back where teabaggers gave Bush a 90%+ approval rating. They may not approve of his alleged "liberal" deviations, but they mainly view him as the guy who treated the job creators with respect and kept us safe from Saddaam Hussein.

Post this poll. There's also a difference between "What do you think of Bush, given that we have Obama now" and "What do you think of Bush, given that his brother is running".

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

radical meme posted:

Wait, their supreme court just smacked down their budget because of its insufficient education funding, and so in response he is going to cut funding to education, and that is treated as some sort of blaze ho hum aside rahter than the core thrust of the article?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fried Chicken posted:

Wait, their supreme court just smacked down their budget because of its insufficient education funding, and so in response he is going to cut funding to education, and that is treated as some sort of blaze ho hum aside rahter than the core thrust of the article?

It's Kansas. Them farm boys don't need no educatin.

• Locked thread