Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm confused, I think you're talking about Temur Battle Rage here? I'm talking about Break Through the Line, the 2 mana enchantment that lets you give your small creatures (every creature in most Boss Sligh lists qualify) haste and unblockable for R.

OH!
I'm sorry. yeah, I got it mixed up. Anything that passes Unblockable is good, so I can definitely see it standard...maybe tried in modern but Modern has cheap unconditional (or almost anyway) removal and good wraths, so cards that 'help' get you damage end up not as good as cards that actually do damage.

How long until we know the deck lists for the elspeth vs. kiora duel decks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Thanks. I always have trouble finding things on the Wizards site.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

TheKingofSprings posted:

I really hope a couple of cards get taken off the Modern ban list, particularly GSZ.

You are nuts. You know it's just a better chord of calling in Pod right? In addition to T1 dryad arbor for days. Blood braid and GGT are the safe unbans. Yes I watched Caleb durwards videos.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I'm not a fan of Matthias Hunt's commentating, but he's currently killing his opponent with a Hive Mind + Summoner's Pact on stream. All is forgiven.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Still considering myself a mtg noob, I had my best standard run at FNM last night. Went 3-0, on round 4 me and my opponent decided to split the 1st and 2nd place prize, lost the last round, won 7 packs. My packs pulled Sorin, Sarkhan, and a Wooded Foothills (also a foil Grim Haruspex , but who cares). Now I've got a full set of Sarkhan until they are rotated out and used my Foothills to get a set of Battlefield Forges in preparation for FRF. :D

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

qbert posted:

I'm not a fan of Matthias Hunt's commentating, but he's currently killing his opponent with a Hive Mind + Summoner's Pact on stream. All is forgiven.

He definitely has some neat sleeves, on top of playing a neat deck.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

qbert posted:

That was a really good match of Magic (vs. Hwang and Ascendency).

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I haven't looked at MTG since the first set of the gods. I'm thinking of getting into it again. What are some of the more rediculous cards to have come out. The snapcasters and noble hierarchs and shocklands of the sets. Any must have cards?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

RC Cola posted:

I haven't looked at MTG since the first set of the gods. I'm thinking of getting into it again. What are some of the more rediculous cards to have come out. The snapcasters and noble hierarchs and shocklands of the sets. Any must have cards?

in pictures

honorable mentions

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Rinkles posted:

in pictures

honorable mentions

There is no way crackling doom is real. That's absurd

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

RC Cola posted:

There is no way crackling doom is real. That's absurd

Ironically, it is the least played card on that list just because the deck it fits into doesn't really match well against the Rhino's deck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
It's also three colors in colors that don't have good mana fixing, which balances the strength of its effect. Also I think Dig Through Time is an honorable mention, it's not getting played enough in Standard but people are saying it's strong enough to possibly get banned in Modern (despite only appearing in one kind of deck?)

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Rinkles posted:

in pictures

Also, they printed not one but two draw spells with delve. :allears:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

If you haven't played since Theros you may have missed probably the most played card in Born of the Gods

It seems so innocuous but it just hangs out there, being good.

Also, red's army-in-a-can.

Anyway, goodness did I miss hearing Phillips and Sullivan make smalltalk over legacy cards. They show the Planechase version of Ghostly prison:

"Look at that poor monster behind bars."
"I dunno. Given the belt of skulls and the 18 pack abs, I think that monster is up to no good."
"I choose to believe he has a sense of style and likes to go to the gym."

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

AlternateNu posted:

Ironically, it is the least played card on that list just because the deck it fits into doesn't really match well against the Rhino's deck.

It's a shame since it can take out a Rhino and negate some of that life gain, but then Courser and Caryatid still exists which walls a lot of potential early-game Mardu beats.

I once Crackling Doom'd a Caryatid, though. That was fun.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Mercury Crusader posted:

This is one of my favourite things to do with MarduKing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I really hope a couple of cards get taken off the Modern ban list, particularly GSZ.

So you want Modern to just be Pod and Pod variants?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Mercury Crusader posted:

It's a shame since it can take out a Rhino and negate some of that life gain, but then Courser and Caryatid still exists which walls a lot of potential early-game Mardu beats.

Last year, I EOT Golgari Charm'd away 3 of my opponent's Elvish Mystics, untapped and Bile Blighted my own Caryatid to kill his 3 Caryatids. It left him with 2 Forests in play and a Mistcutter Hydra in his hand. :getin:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

So you want Modern to just be Pod and Pod variants?

Pod wasn't the main reason that card was banned in the first place (it was 12Post).

And GSZ makes Gaddock Teeg, a card which fucks over Pod's tutors pretty well, much more playable.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

The problem with GSZ is that it could get any undercosted green creature at a still-fair price, while also getting Dryad Arbor on turn one. It makes it so that the only creature decks are green toolbox decks.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to cast it, but I don't think it's good for Modern.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

The reason it's banned I think is (besides the Dryad Arbor fetching) that if you're a green creature deck, there's pretty much no reason not to run 4x GSZ.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Pod wasn't the main reason that card was banned in the first place (it was 12Post).

And GSZ makes Gaddock Teeg, a card which fucks over Pod's tutors pretty well, much more playable.

GSZ was originally banned because it made the zoo decks that were dominant at the time too versatile and flexible, actually.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

GSZ is a Llanowar Elf that can also get better if you pay more than 1 for it. It's funny how Modern has had to ban a couple mana dorks with late-game utility for being too good and making the format monotonous.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

GSZ was originally banned because it made the zoo decks that were dominant at the time too versatile and flexible, actually.

Well Zoo's completely dead so bring back GSZ.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Well Zoo's completely dead so bring back GSZ.

This, Knight of the Reliquary owns and it'd be great to see that card get some play.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Speaking of cards seeing play, Kird Ape just won G3 of the Quarterfinals at the SCG Open.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

TheKingofSprings posted:

This, Knight of the Reliquary owns and it'd be great to see that card get some play.

I'm glad Modern Masters used the original art because the Knights vs Dragon art is so, so bad.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Top 8 for gp Omaha is pretty interesting. 2 ur delver, Pod, merfolk, zoo, amulet combo, rg tron, and that breach valakut deck

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Looks like a really good top 8. Surprised to see no scapeshift there. Also wanna see that merfolk list!

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Hahah holy poo poo this accidental open mic in GP stream :toot:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Bonus posted:

The reason it's banned I think is (besides the Dryad Arbor fetching) that if you're a green creature deck, there's pretty much no reason not to run 4x GSZ.

This isn't wrong, but isn't very compelling when you consider red decks and Lightning Bolt (and that's arguably the best card in Modern).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bonus posted:

If you're an aggressive red deck there's no reason not to run 4x Lightning Bolt.

Should that card get banned out of the format?

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

TheKingofSprings posted:

If you're an aggressive red deck there's no reason not to run 4x Lightning Bolt.

Should that card get banned out of the format?

Bolt for the most part is a reactive card and can kill creatures with Toughness 3 or less, sometimes providing reach to finish a game. GSZ does a lot more and creates a lot of dependency, when I put bolt in my deck I'm dependent on red sources, other cards I have in common with other decks are for independent reasons. When I put GSZ in a deck it also brings along half a dozen one-ofs, meaning every green deck has a lot more slots in common, and by dropping it straight into play it doesn't have the tempo cost that most cards like this entail.

That said I'm lukewarm on its ban, and its unbanning, but it's doesn't warp deckbuilding the same way Bolt does at all.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lunsku posted:

Hahah holy poo poo this accidental open mic in GP stream :toot:

what'd they say!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Anti-Citizen posted:

Bolt for the most part is a reactive card and can kill creatures with Toughness 3 or less, sometimes providing reach to finish a game. GSZ does a lot more and creates a lot of dependency, when I put bolt in my deck I'm dependent on red sources, other cards I have in common with other decks are for independent reasons. When I put GSZ in a deck it also brings along half a dozen one-ofs, meaning every green deck has a lot more slots in common, and by dropping it straight into play it doesn't have the tempo cost that most cards like this entail.

That said I'm lukewarm on its ban, and its unbanning, but it's doesn't warp deckbuilding the same way Bolt does at all.

The existence of Bolt in the format helps invalidate a shitload of creatures though, if your toughness isn't higher than 3 and you don't replace yourself, win instantly somehow, or aren't sufficiently cheap to cast you're basically useless.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Top 8ed a PPTQ today, my first competitive Standard event so I was pleased to do that well; opened Sorin and Rhino in my prize packs as well. There was a DQ in the semis though; guy facing down Stoke the Flames for lethal, says "Well done" and shakes his opponent's hand, but then realises he can Last Breath his own guy to stay alive and says "Wait..." as his opponent goes to pick up his deck.

The DQ came because the head judge asked him if he thought he had lost the match when he offered the hand and he said no, which was clearly not true - DQ for lying to a judge. If he had told the truth, the game would have continued (apparently there is no shortcut for conceding) and he would probably have won. Honesty - still the best policy.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

jassi007 posted:

what'd they say!

Ben Stark slammed Portuguese and French pretty hard in regards to cheating, not knowing the mic was open. I would think someone will transcript the whole bit before long.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

https://twitter.com/BenS8528/status/554417826035798017

Seems extremely good.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bloom Titan in Second Place is pretty impressive, I must admit.

Maybe I should grab a playset of Amulets now and not later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Normally I would hate Stephen Speck because he plays lands in front of creatures, but that Simian Spirit Guide to pay for the Mana Leak was a blowout

• Locked thread