Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I think this bike chase is pretty realistic, if you had a guy continously swinging a massive sword while successfully riding a motorcycle I'd stay the hell away from him too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hot Poppin Bunnz posted:

Other way around. PSX was designed to be a 3D machine from the start. It was the Saturn that was built to be a 2D powerhouse; Sega had to scramble to beef up its 3D capabilities once they learned what Sony was up to, which is why the Saturn has such architecture or whatever.

Ah, right. The PSX just sucked :v:

But yeah, N64 texture memory is a sad thing.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Your Computer posted:

The cartridges are just for storage, all the power is in the machine itself :eng101:

Accessing that data was much faster on a cartridge (nearly instant) compared to the long load times of CD, but you could pack a lot more into a CD for WAY cheaper.

I think Square said that FF7 would have needed 6 cartridges or some poo poo.

It's old hat, but I really think that carts for the N64 killed them in the mainstream, even if I did (and still do) prefer them for the complete lack of load times.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
wait today is the last day? Why did I think this marathon went until tomorrow afternoon?

I guess we aren't hitting a million after all

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Cubey posted:

I think Square said that FF7 would have needed 6 cartridges or some poo poo.

It's old hat, but I really think that carts for the N64 killed them in the mainstream, even if I did (and still do) prefer them for the complete lack of load times.

They also cost a hell of a lot more than case at the time. It's sad how good in theory was busted by stupid decisions.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Gamma Nerd posted:

ugh this is a conflict, i want to listen to the commentary but i absolutely cannot stand the ff7 soundtrack

What.

How.

I mean, I wish they had higher-quality samples back then, but the composition is top notch and really contributes a lot of great atmosphere to the game.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

wait today is the last day? Why did I think this marathon went until tomorrow afternoon?

A million was hit last year during the bonus stream.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think they're still waiting for the Humble Bundle donation. Probably won't be $200k on it's own but there are a lot of big runs for tonight.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

UA looks pretty calm, either you're wrong or he likes the taste of shoe leather. :clint:

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

gently caress SNEEP posted:

No it wasnt, it was hit during Chrono Trigger

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Did they do the humble bundle thing last year too? If not then donations are still way down.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

gently caress SNEEP posted:

They hit a million near the end of Chrono Trigger, which was the last of the regular stream.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Zurreco posted:

I think they're still waiting for the Humble Bundle donation. Probably won't be $200k on it's own but there are a lot of big runs for tonight.

The t-shirt money usually comes in at the last minute too.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The most expression Sephiroth has ever had.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

The_Franz posted:

Yetee has already donated like $15k. I just assumed that was the majority of what they've earned so far.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

The_Franz posted:

Yetee has been donating throughout. Think its up to 30k from them so far.

e: 40k actually. Bloody hell thats a lot of shirts.

Leeham721
Jan 4, 2015
FF7 has the most beautiful soundtrack. I won't even quote the pleb who disparaged it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Lloyd Van Buren posted:

No it wasnt, it was hit during Chrono Trigger

Does anyone still have that great picture that Zari did for the Wonder Shot?

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
What are they doing with ocarine of time since its almost 5 hours long?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Erebus posted:

They hit a million near the end of Chrono Trigger, which was the last of the regular stream.
This, but at the same time, let's not forget the ridiculous amount of money the last two runs bought in to make that million.

I can't remember exactly what the total was before cosmo's run, but I think it was somewhere between 750-850k.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

Depths posted:

Blinfold child dungeons run then 100% run

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Depths posted:

100%

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Who the gently caress decided it was a good idea to give Sephiroth that doofy looking mouth?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Your Computer posted:

Ah, right. The PSX just sucked :v:

Eh, it was pretty good for the time. The big launch game for the PS was Ridge Racer and that was impressive then, but the console was really limited in what 3D it could do well. It had no z-buffer so it was necessary to carefully design your models to be easy to draw them back-to-front at all angles you wanted to view them, or they'd flicker weirdly as the hardware didn't know what part should be in view. Racing games work well as a result since cars (or futuristic hovercraft) are basically concave blobs, full 3D action games not always so much.

It's just that 90s 3D looks like 90s 3D.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Kill's now only behind 3.5k

Leeham721
Jan 4, 2015

Tracula posted:

Who the gently caress decided it was a good idea to give Sephiroth that doofy looking mouth?

Xerophyte posted:

Eh, it was pretty good for the time. The big launch game for the PS was Ridge Racer and that was impressive then, but the console was really limited in what 3D it could do well. It had no z-buffer so it was necessary to carefully design your models to be easy to draw them back-to-front at all angles you wanted to view them, or they'd flicker weirdly as the hardware didn't know what part should be in view. Racing games work well as a result since cars (or futuristic hovercraft) are basically concave blobs, full 3D action games not always so much.

It's just that 90s 3D looks like 90s 3D.
Was it RR Revolution that had a song with the lyrics "gently caress it, I got a bowl on my head!"?

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Tracula posted:

Earlier they said that was an issue with the PC version.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Tracula posted:

Someone who really wanted Sephiroth to look like a blowup doll?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Leeham721 posted:

FF7 has the most beautiful soundtrack. I won't even quote the pleb who disparaged it.

They really nail the overall mood and atmosphere in VII with the music.

Out of context there are definitely better soundtracks around but in-game it works pretty much perfectly.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

SWMadness posted:

What.

How.

I mean, I wish they had higher-quality samples back then, but the composition is top notch and really contributes a lot of great atmosphere to the game.

Those Chosen By The Planet isn't too bad, but overall I'm much more partial to the Xenogears soundtrack if we're looking at stuff from this era. FF7's boss and random battle themes just annoy the hell out of me and I have no idea why. :v: Never really liked Uematsu much.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Rirse posted:

Does anyone still have that great picture that Zari did for the Wonder Shot?

There are also two of her Wondershot tees on the couch too made for Crystals for Life a while ago.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Tracula posted:

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Your Computer posted:

The cartridges are just for storage, all the power is in the machine itself :eng101:

Accessing that data was much faster on a cartridge (nearly instant) compared to the long load times of CD, but you could pack a lot more into a CD for WAY cheaper.

Not really -- you could stick a lot of power in the cartridge too :eng101:

The first round of NES cartridges were simple -- they were just a slab of ROM, and maybe some RAM, with a tiny bit of glue logic to allow you to switch pages of ROM in and out (called a mapper). However, that mapper glue logic quickly got replaced with dedicated chips, that then got expanded with extra functionality.

For example:
* Zelda and Metroid had a custom chip (MMC1) that made it easier to implement the screen scrolling and have save-games.
* Super Mario Bros 2 and 3 added hardware on top of that (MMC3) to count scan lines and notify the CPU when the TV was drawing a specific part of the screen, so that you could easily do status bars.
* Castlevania III's mapper (MMC5) gave you extra RAM, extra sound channels, specialized hardware for tile index expansion, and a tiny math coprocessor.
* Some of the Japanese-only releases went even farther -- the most notable for the NES was an RPG called Lagrange Point, where the cartridge has an entire Yamaha FM synthesizer on it and generates the game's soundtrack on the cart.

This continued in the SNES generation as well; most people know of the SuperFX chip in Starfox, but the real king of this is Super Mario RPG. The SMRPG cart actually has a full second CPU in it that is capable of interrupting the SNES CPU (and runs faster than it), turning the SNES into a dual-core machine. This is why SMRPG didn't work on many emulators until a few years ago, and why it doesn't work on most SNES flash carts.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Outside of the mouth making it kind of comical, the way the music changes when Sephiroth walks off is a good example of how well this game uses music.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Kanfy posted:

They really nail the overall mood and atmosphere in VII with the music.

Out of context there are definitely better soundtracks around but in-game it works pretty much perfectly.

Good lord the sequence in Shinra tower is creepy as all gently caress thanks to the music that plays there.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Kanfy posted:

I wouldn't say they were "vastly" more detailed but they definitely looked better since they at least had proper hands and faces.

The combat models in VII are about on par with OoT I think.

The Nintendo 64 had more memory and faster processor than the PS1

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

pichupal posted:

There are also two of her Wondershot tees on the couch too made for Crystals for Life a while ago.

That's the one. I like this picture a lot.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Killing might be in the lead now, holy poo poo.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ullerrm posted:

Not really -- you could stick a lot of power in the cartridge too :eng101:

You're talking about NES and SNES though, not N64 :v:
But yeah, if the system is designed to take advantage of it you can certainly put extra chips in the cartridge.

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Killing might be in the lead now, holy poo poo.

People nerds are really sadistic :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
$1.2k lead for save still but its gonna be smashed

• Locked thread