Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9fI5M6_XVk

What the gently caress, Michigan. You guys are supposed to know how to drive in the snow :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The uproar over PG being an ingredient in Fireball is really funny because enough people choose to vaporize PG and suck it into their lungs all day. :v:

Also isn't ethylene glycol what is in antifreeze?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I've never once considered Fireball to be fancy

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I know that it's not fancy because Super Aggro Crag drinks it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Previa_fun posted:

The uproar over PG being an ingredient in Fireball is really funny because enough people choose to vaporize PG and suck it into their lungs all day. :v:

Depends on the antifreeze.

It's also used to keep your cigars in comfortable environment in humidors.

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Never tried it, don't want to. Frankly, it sounds like the Stella Artois of whisky.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Previa_fun posted:

Yeah ethylene glycol is the stuff in anti-freeze. PG is also used as an anti-freeze but is non-toxic.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

T1g4h posted:

re: Boozechat, can one of you explain what Fireball actually is to me? I've never had it, I'm wondering why it's so drat popular. With the name, I keep thinking it's basically the new Hot drat :v:

It is the most chuggable get drunk juice I have encountered. It's not good, but it's easy to drink, and gets you quite drunk.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

T1g4h posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9fI5M6_XVk

What the gently caress, Michigan. You guys are supposed to know how to drive in the snow :colbert:

You missed the best part of that wreck... the part where the truck/trailer carrying 44,000 pounds of fireworks got ignited:

http://fox17online.com/2015/01/09/video-truck-carrying-fireworks-explodes-near-i-94-hazmat-situation/

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Wow, its really surprising that so far only one person killed.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

goatse guy posted:

I know that it's not fancy because Super Aggro Crag drinks it.

Been drinking gin lately.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
The gin in plastic bottles hardly qualifies as gin.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

meatpimp posted:

You missed the best part of that wreck... the part where the truck/trailer carrying 44,000 pounds of fireworks got ignited:

http://fox17online.com/2015/01/09/video-truck-carrying-fireworks-explodes-near-i-94-hazmat-situation/

Jesus loving christ. That's insane! And oddly pretty.

Also, forgot which one of you recommended Battleship as being a dumb, fun movie, but you were spot on. I'm enjoying it so far.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InitialDave posted:

Never tried it, don't want to. Frankly, it sounds like the Stella Artois of whisky.

It's nowhere near that bad.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's like candy but not candy sweet.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fireball is a fad and will disappear as quickly as it appeared. Just like Aftershock and Goldschlager did.

We still have an old bottle of Goldschlager in our cooler at the bar and no one has asked for it as long as I have been working there (4 years) and people are starting to ween off the Fireball now. Thank god.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BUT BRAH THE GOLD FLAKES MAKE TINY CUTS IN YOUR THROAT SO YOU ABSORB THE ALCOHOL QUICKER

GET YOU LIT UP FUCKIN' QUICK

BRAAAAHHHHH

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Liquid Cocaine Cocktail Recipe

1 oz. Goldschläger

1 oz. Rumple Minze

1 oz. Jagermeister

1. Don’t, under any circumstances, find yourself in possession of any
of these bottles (let alone all three).

2. If that does happen, proceed to pour them all into a glass, one at a time.

3. Think long and hard about the consequences of drinking this.

4. Chase with bleach.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

leica posted:

Goldschlager

You haven't lived until you pan for gold in your vomit.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
gently caress. Video card froze and rebooted system, get green blocks and artifacting everywhere, windows won't boot unless I uninstall the drivers in safe mode. Sounds like a common video card problem, bad solder joints or something.

So now I finally get to try the old baking trick. Hope it works.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

leica posted:

Liquid Cocaine Cocktail Recipe

1 oz. Goldschläger

1 oz. Rumple Minze

1 oz. Jagermeister

1. Don’t, under any circumstances, find yourself in possession of any
of these bottles (let alone all three).

2. If that does happen, proceed to pour them all into a glass, one at a time.

3. Think long and hard about the consequences of drinking this.

4. Chase with bleach.

Guess I drink lovely liquor too :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
With regards to the Cobra guy overseas, if he just wants something American that sounds like a V8 and makes "some ish" horsepower (like <350) then a 302 is fine. If he wants to spend a bunch of money and wants to keep it Ford, maybe a big block or a 351? Cheap power of course means Chevy. Don't bother trying to get someone to make you one, the machine shop time will cost about as much as a turn-key crate motor; it's not worth it. If he wants to keep it locally-souced, what about 1UZ? That would be pretty wild in a Cobra. But, as far as I know, there aren't a lot of N/A go-fast bits for those.

Video card guy: Try baking it, but don't hold your breath. Sometimes they come back, sometimes they don't. Even when they do, it's not unheard of for them to poo poo right back out again.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Raluek posted:

Video card guy: Try baking it, but don't hold your breath. Sometimes they come back, sometimes they don't. Even when they do, it's not unheard of for them to poo poo right back out again.
Wow rude I have a name.

Yeah its just a last chance shot, I was going to buy a new one when GTA:V comes out anyway.

I can live with it except for when I netflix.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
How many after dinner beers is acceptable?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Cage posted:

I was going to buy a new one when GTA:V comes out anyway.

But the loading screens are all 2d, onboard graphics should be fine.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Is that a "this game is mostly loading screens" joke? Guess you can't put a SSD in a ps4 or xbone huh? :smug: :smug: :smugdog:

Actually maybe you can, but on PC having a SSD cut loading times in IV by more than half for me.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cage posted:

Wow rude I have a name.

Yeah its just a last chance shot, I was going to buy a new one when GTA:V comes out anyway.

I can live with it except for when I netflix.

Sorry, scrolling is hard, Least Coast Mustang Guy.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I accept that.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
My regular laptop has died completely, unfortunately.

So I'm dumping 3k on parts for a stupidly over-powered full desktop.

It'll give me something to do while I can't do anything to my car. Too drat cold outside.

At my new Enterprise job, though, I get to drive around a bunch of neat new-ish cars (2013-2015 models), and a few muscle cars on occasion, although none of them are particularly exciting rides. So far, my favorite car to drive has been the Ford Focus that they have on the lot on occasion. The worst car I drove was a tie between a Hyundai Veloster (because it looks nice and drives like rear end) and some tiny Chevrolet Volt thing that couldn't get heat to save its life, handled like garbage despite its size, and STILL managed to get only a 25 MPG despite it's obvious fuel economy design.

Chrysler 200's are neat, though, I guess? Automatic shift dial instead of an actual knob is freaking me out.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Sperglord Firecock posted:

So I'm dumping 3k on parts for a stupidly over-powered full desktop.

It'll give me something to do while I can't do anything to my car. Too drat cold outside.

Do you have a reason to spend that much on a computer? My guess is no based on how you phrased it. Unless you have a specific reason, $1,000 will get you an awesome machine, throw in another $500 if you need keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc., and save the rest for buying tools or parts to fix your drat car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Needs more WD40.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

It's nowhere near that bad.

Said by nobody outside of Indiana, ever.

mariooncrack posted:

Do you have a reason to spend that much on a computer? My guess is no based on how you phrased it. Unless you have a specific reason, $1,000 will get you an awesome machine, throw in another $500 if you need keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc., and save the rest for buying tools or parts to fix your drat car.

Quotin' this for truth. $1000 is more than enough for a killer bitchin' desktop.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 11, 2015

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

I just spend 9 hours helping my roommate with his 2009 Lancer Ralliart :shepicide: I think every fastener was rusted fast and Diaqueen SST oil smells like cat piss. Never again.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

HotCanadianChick posted:

Said by nobody outside of Indiana, ever.

Quotin' this for truth. $1000 is more than enough for a killer bitchin' desktop.

It is, yes, but I want something that will be able to play top tier games for the next 4 years without even a slight hiccup.

Thing's gonna have two GTX980's.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It is, yes, but I want something that will be able to play top tier games for the next 4 years without even a slight hiccup.

Sounds like you have your priorities in order.

No hiccups in this (mom's) house :colbert:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SLI is traditionally not worth it. I dunno if things have gotten better in the last ~8 years, but it used to be about a 25% performance improvement for a 100% spending increase. Plus, if you buy a single mid-high-tier card now, then replace it in 4 years with another one of the same price bracket, you generally will have better performance (in 4 years) than your then-aging SLI rig. And you still spend less money.

Maybe I just don't care about having the highest framerate and the sickest frags. Maybe the thing I'm with just isn't "it" anymore. :corsair:

Edit: VVV This guy knows what's up. VVV

Raluek fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 11, 2015

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

You're wasting your money then. From the PC Building and Parts thread:

quote:

How can I future-proof my system?

You can’t; don’t try.

What it comes down to is cost over time. Eventually you will have to replace your system. You can spend $2500 now and get a system that lasts for five, maybe six years of acceptable performance. But by the end, it will really be struggling. Or you can spend $1200 now, upgrade the video card for $250 after three years, and replace the system after four or five years (carrying over the graphics card). You’re spending less money overall, getting performance just as good, and you can even sell the older parts much more readily than an ancient, obsoleted powerhouse.

Some parts can have incredible staying power these days, but these are parts where performance trends are slowing down in favor of power efficiency. For the most part, this generation’s $200 CPU will last just as long as the $350 one. Don’t worry about it.

The one exception to this might be CPU overclocking, which can give your CPU a performance boost to keep it relevant a year or two longer. See below about that.

Go here for more: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671266#post436114943

Yeah, your two 980s might play the top tier games in four years but they sure as hell won't play them well.

To give you a better idea, four years ago, you would have bought two 480 GTXs. Two 480s would probably really struggle these days and would be outperformed by my single 7950 now. Back then, I probably would have bought a 460 GTX, so with that in mind and my 7950, I would have spent $500 - $600 instead of ~$1,000 for those dual 480s.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

You're in luck, as my single 4 year old 580 GTX can still play top tier games without a hitch. Before that I got 5 good years out of my 8800 GTX. PC game hardware requirements are fairly stagnant because everything is lazy rear end console ports these days and even a year old midrange graphics card has more power than a brand new PS4.

Also SLI is a dumb gimmicky waste of money. :colbert:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I like to think that Sperglord is a really advanced forum bot, brilliantly designed to get you guys riled up with every post. Its like someone did years of research about what would piss off AI and created its perfect nemesis.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

You don't need to spend more than a thousand on a new computer.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Also SLI is a dumb gimmicky waste of money. :colbert:

This too.

Save that extra 2k and do stuff on the car. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

I like to think that Sperglord is a really advanced forum bot, brilliantly designed to get you guys riled up with every post. Its like someone did years of research about what would piss off AI and created its perfect nemesis.

He's like the AI version of the T-1000.

• Locked thread