Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

serious gaylord posted:

6th was pretty good too. 7th had too much randomisation and you could seriously lose the game on turn 1 if you got a bullshit magic roll.

Or played nids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Mainly 7th because the main armies we play (Eldar, IG, SM, Orks) have at least a 6th Ed. codex now. Necrons is the only army still being played in our group with a 5th. Ed. codex but that'll be rectified shortly.

Honestly, we might go back to 6th Ed as a few of our players don't like how the Psychic phase is just the Magic phase with a new label.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Leo Showers posted:

I dislike GW as much as the next guy but it really could just be some dude running the stock photo through photoshop, given the amount of potential sperg and meltdowns which would occur if a picture of this nature was "leaked".

FFG does the same thing which is how we saw the upcoming upgrades for x-wing before the article was up. I assume GW pre-loads it for the same reason.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

orphean posted:

Doesn't appear so. At least not around the base.

well, poo poo

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

i never played fantasy so i guess i get to watch the trainwreck happen from afar

Chill la Chill posted:

FFG does the same thing which is how we saw the upcoming upgrades for x-wing before the article was up. I assume GW pre-loads it for the same reason.

this is true, it's how we found out about the S&V cannons and such.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Leo Showers posted:

i never played fantasy so i guess i get to watch the trainwreck happen from afar

I did, i used to play High Elves. All those years back.

Tyrion was my favourite.

I heard some odd things about this "end times" thing.

....Wow...... that was an interesting read.

Blinks77 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 11, 2015

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Blinks77 posted:

I did, i used to play High Elves. All those years back.

Tyrion was my favourite.

I heard some odd things about this "end times" thing.

....Wow...... that was an interesting read.

Malus Darkblade was my favourite. :sigh:

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I'm so stoked for people to have to rebase their armies and buy a bunch of weird (Lotr?) trays

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

orphean posted:

Doesn't appear so. At least not around the base.

I don't know PS, is this some sort of filter to spot where/if the picture has been 'shopped?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

So what's with the kerfuffle about square vs. round bases?

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

WAR FOOT posted:

Malus Darkblade was my favourite. :sigh:

Oh. I remember him! Had some good comics. I'm sure he went out well

*checks*

....Ah.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Honestly, I hope they do 40k End Times and a bunch of popular Space Marine characters die, but in my heart of hearts I know it will just be what few Dark Eldar characters that remain.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
If this actually works out for GW, we have to expect a similar treatment for 40K at some point, right?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

NGDBSS posted:

I don't play either but from what I gather WHFB uses square bases because unit formations are kind of important? I've watched some people play Fantasy at game stores and groups of soldiers and cavalry are often grouped together in inset trays and moved as a large block, and there's probably some other stuff to it as well regarding unit coherency at the like. Meanwhile 40K uses round bases because as far as I'm aware 40K grew out of a skirmish-style game where large armies weren't the rule of the day. Since then, of course, 40K has bloated considerably in that regard but everything's still round-based whereas Fantasy has stuck with square bases.

If Fantasy does get changed over to a skirmish game with round bases it'll basically mean that anyone who wants to play it will have to rebase all their stuff because one of the way wargames measure things like "can I hit this guy with my sword y/n?" is checking base-to-base contact and mixing square with round bases will almost assuredly throw stuff like that off and cause no end of complaints about people trying to game the system.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

NGDBSS posted:

It's not really about square vs. round itself. I don't think anyone really cares, other than crazy people who think it will force them to rebase (which I doubt is true even if the switch is made). It's more that confirmation of the switch to round bases would mean all these crazy rumors about the impending Warhammer reboot might actually be true, since one of the sticking points in the rumors was the switch to round bases.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

BlackIronHeart posted:

If this actually works out for GW, we have to expect a similar treatment for 40K at some point, right?

Nope.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

FrozenDorf posted:

Interestingly, since GW has moved to one-man-show format for retail in Canada, I've started seeing less and less of this and other typically awful 40k neckbeard behaviour. It seems as if the only people who still have loyalty to GW enough to stick around are those with genuine love for the hobby and are at least decent human beings.
No, that's just a side-effect of Stockholm syndrome.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Woah, did you see the new rumors? The person that broke the round base for fantasy just unleashed a bombshell... SQUARE BASES FOR 40K.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

All of my dreams

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Not a viking posted:

I don't know PS, is this some sort of filter to spot where/if the picture has been 'shopped?

Kind of, the whiter bits measure different areas that have different compression. So in that photo it looks like franz and the griffon head as well as the outline of the wings and the sand on the base have been touched up a bit. But there's nothing with regards to the actual shape of the base or areas where we can see some got 'clipped out' or shadow/highlights were added to make it look round.

This is what I used and it explains it:
http://fotoforensics.com/faq.php

I am not some CSI ENHANCE photo forensics expert but uploading it to this thing and seeing if there was anything glaringly shopped took like 20 seconds.

Kai Tave posted:

I don't play either but from what I gather WHFB uses square bases because unit formations are kind of important?

Ojetor posted:

It's not really about square vs. round itself. I don't think anyone really cares, other than crazy people who think it will force them to rebase (which I doubt is true even if the switch is made).

In WHF square bases are important because being ranked up is an important game mechanic. It also controls things like who is in melee combat and other critical things like facing, etc. WHF is much more about moving formations around and having to deal with terrain and wheeling when you're doing so.

Moving to round bases means none of that will work and basically confirms that its going to be WHF 40k Bubbles a Go Go edition.

orphean fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 11, 2015

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Blinks77 posted:

Oh. I remember him! Had some good comics. I'm sure he went out well

*checks*

....Ah.

Wait, what happened to Malus? All I can find are plot summaries of the Malus Darkblade novels.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Same thing that happens to the dude he's based on, the demon in his sword rips him to pieces

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

Randalor posted:

Wait, what happened to Malus? All I can find are plot summaries of the Malus Darkblade novels.

Dark Elves invade Ulthuan en masse. We're talking applying scorched earth policy to Naggarond as the chaos hordes are invading and shifting everyone onto Black Arks

and from the 1d4chan summary:
Malus's luck finally runs out as with the increase in the power of Chaos T'zarkan grew stronger, eventually destroying Malus's soul, killing Spite and almost immediately fighting and getting killed by Tyrion.

lame way to go for a decent character.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Poor Spite. He's eating uppity mages with maps tattooed on their backs in heaven now. :sigh:

e:

The Impaler posted:

lame way to go for a decent character.

I was expecting him to die, really. Anyone with a dated model is living on borrowed time, I'm surprised Malekith didn't cop it.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

orphean posted:

In WHF square bases are important because being ranked up is an important game mechanic. It also controls things like who is in melee combat and other critical things like facing, etc. WHF is much more about moving formations around and having to deal with terrain and wheeling when you're doing so.

Moving to round bases means none of that will work and basically confirms that its going to be WHF 40k Bubbles a Go Go edition.

I play a lot of Warhammer and am aware of how formations and facing work. It's trivially easy to rank up round bases if you use movement trays. Hell, I do it with my Daemon models since I bought them for 40k originally and built them with round bases. You can also use square bases in 40k style movement with basically no gameplay impact. That's why I said it didn't matter if the change is made, you won't have to rebase your dudes. Also, the rumors said that ranked formations are still in, they provide bonuses but are now optional.

It's not so much the bases that are important in and of themselves. The bases are important because a bunch of round bases popping up on official WHFB models is pretty strong evidence for the rest of the rumors being correct, or at least not completely made up.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I think we're violently agreeing with each other for the most part. That said, if you honestly think a unified rule set will require movement trays and be more or less the same then we'll just have to disagree on that. I think we're going to see far more 40k into fantasy than vice versa.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
As someone who long since accepted the only update my brets would ever get is being folded into Empire as a single rare unit, I'm actually looking forward to Super Warhammer Bubble Fantasy. I feel bad for all the people actively playing with current armies, but as a guy whose business WHFB has lost indefinitely, this is one of the few things GW could've done to ever make me consider buying their fantasy models again.

GW still sucks.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Hra Mormo posted:

As someone who long since accepted the only update my brets would ever get is being folded into Empire as a single rare unit, I'm actually looking forward to Super Warhammer Bubble Fantasy. I feel bad for all the people actively playing with current armies, but as a guy whose business WHFB has lost indefinitely, this is one of the few things GW could've done to ever make me consider buying their fantasy models again.

GW still sucks.

GW pissing all over their customer base by invalidating huge swathes of the current model range makes you want to buy their models???? :vomarine:

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just moving entirely over to Kings of War. It's got the same rank and file feel but runs blisteringly fast, has far more tactical logic to it (a small unit of basic spearmen is actually a viable unit to use!) and I can use all of my square-based warhams just fine. Maybe this entirely new thing from GW will be fun, but it's pretty clearly going to diverge hard so I'm just going to think of it as a new game.

The rumours are also actively killing the only revival/resurgence of warhammer that was happening locally so there's that.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

If Fantasy does get changed over to a skirmish game with round bases it'll basically mean that anyone who wants to play it will have to rebase all their stuff because one of the way wargames measure things like "can I hit this guy with my sword y/n?" is checking base-to-base contact and mixing square with round bases will almost assuredly throw stuff like that off and cause no end of complaints about people trying to game the system.

Haha, you think GW care about creating a balanced game.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Ojetor posted:

GW pissing all over their customer base by invalidating huge swathes of the current model range makes you want to buy their models???? :vomarine:
It's the only way Brettonians ever stood a chance of seeing rules that aren't 11 years old.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

HiveCommander posted:

It's the only way Brettonians ever stood a chance of seeing rules that aren't 11 years old.

Bretonians: the Sisters of WHFB

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
tbf Bretonians are loving lame.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Ojetor posted:

I said I felt bad for current fantasy customers who are getting shat on, but for me personally I don't give a gently caress about End Times or 8th edition and if the changes to the game are as massive as the rumors are suggesting it genuinely might renew my interest. It's just like GW to alienate one customer to cater to another.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

aren't bretonnians like lame french nerds anyway?

will they be missed?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

LordAba posted:

Woah, did you see the new rumors? The person that broke the round base for fantasy just unleashed a bombshell... SQUARE BASES FOR 40K.

No way that's not trolling. :wtc:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Moola posted:

tbf Bretonians are loving lame.

srsly who looks at warhammer: a game of fantasy battles and decides they want to be french kahniggits

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pierzak posted:

No way that's not trolling. :wtc:

:thejoke:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

First Bass posted:

srsly who looks at warhammer: a game of fantasy battles and decides they want to be french kahniggits

The same people who look at 40K and decide they want to be knights in space, or the US Army In Space With A Funny Latin Name. It's a truism of wargame production that the recognisably human M16s-and-tanks or sword-and-board factions always sell much, much more than more alien-looking ones.

Bret players invested just as much time and money into their hobby as everyone else. To have that thrown in their faces just means it was them GW picked to poo poo on this cycle. It'll be your faction next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Leo Showers posted:

aren't bretonnians like lame french nerds anyway?

will they be missed?

Not by longbows. gently caress yeah Agincourt.

• Locked thread