Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Centurions are the way to go for a plastic Obliterator base.

But... proceed with caution:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ignite Memories posted:

SRM your oblits look great though. What were the base models you used again?

The Centurions came out like a week after I painted the squad which kinda bummed me out, but I love the models I found. They're from some Russian recaster on eBay who happened to have some Oblits I couldn't find anywhere else.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Mango Polo posted:

drat. Fantasy is stealing all of GW's creativity away from 40k it seems.

Someone hasn't read about the rumored new version of Warhammer Fantasy

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

These are gonna be awesome once they're all magnetized up. the only bit i dread is magnetizing the missile racks :(

wheels are from blood and skull industry. Decent little kit that you really need to dry fitbecause what looks obvious is wrong :)

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

Someone hasn't read about the rumored new version of Warhammer Fantasy

I was only thinking of the models, yeah. Stop caring much after they hosed Wood Elves again :shobon:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Taurox looks good with wheels. Has anyone had problems with mounting the autocannons somewhere else? Strapped to the sides of the back half like luggage, aimed right at the brush guard, is just too damned stupid.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
GW is loving killing it with this End Times stuff. Absolutely crazy.

A friend of mine uses the Techmarine model to make Dark Techpriests which he uses as Obliterators. Looks pretty drat good.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Mango Polo posted:

I was only thinking of the models, yeah. Stop caring much after they hosed Wood Elves again :shobon:

I was more referring to how they're moving the setting ahead a few centuries, completely dropping Lizardmen, rolling several races itno one book, giving the game a "Bubbles of Light in Darkness" theme with realities bumping into each other and vague references to it taking place in the warp so Space Marines could possibly show up as part of GW's attempt to draw the two games' rules into one big thing.

Again, rumors, but from a so-far reliable source and even still lol could you imagine how horrible this would be

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Post 9-11 User posted:

Taurox looks good with wheels. Has anyone had problems with mounting the autocannons somewhere else? Strapped to the sides of the back half like luggage, aimed right at the brush guard, is just too damned stupid.

At the front obviously.
But honestly I have no drat clue because their intended position is really dumb. It's not like you could turn them into a pintle mount or anything either.
When I get a Taurox I'm probably just gonna skip all the given weapon options because I really don't like how the turret looks on top and just give it one of my spare tank pintle mounts. Hopefully that shouldn't be too much of an issue to do so.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Post 9-11 User posted:

There are mounting lugs for the autocannons right behind the doors and on the turret, no other real options. It sucks since it looks really good with an autocannon turret, but to actually utilize the firepower you basically need to put them back there.

Finished my second squad of Stormtroopers:

There's one more squad of stormies, one command squad, one commissar, and three Tauroxes left to paint before the formation is fieldable. I've built the second Taurox and the command squad, but it's the Commissar I'm excited about next:

I liked the new plastic Commissar, but he didn't totally fit in with the new Scions models. I also wanted every model in this detachment to have a rebreather on, so I trimmed down the head with a rebreather and beret and fit the plastic Commissar's giant hat on top of that. I also swapped his legs out for a more armored and dynamic set from the Scions kit.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

SRM posted:

There are mounting lugs for the autocannons right behind the doors and on the turret, no other real options. It sucks since it looks really good with an autocannon turret, but to actually utilize the firepower you basically need to put them back there.

Finished my second squad of Stormtroopers:

There's one more squad of stormies, one command squad, one commissar, and three Tauroxes left to paint before the formation is fieldable. I've built the second Taurox and the command squad, but it's the Commissar I'm excited about next:

I liked the new plastic Commissar, but he didn't totally fit in with the new Scions models. I also wanted every model in this detachment to have a rebreather on, so I trimmed down the head with a rebreather and beret and fit the plastic Commissar's giant hat on top of that. I also swapped his legs out for a more armored and dynamic set from the Scions kit.

No, what you need to do, is source this commisar:

that's the steel legion commisar, and he owns so much. sadly someone hosed up the gun on this one :(

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

Now that is pretty rad. Even if you used the best head of the kit. :colbert:
Speaking of scions I ordered an extra set of legs and torso for my spare backpack so now I've got 6 scions that needs to be painted.
No idea though if I wanna do the Black Armour, Tan Fatigues scheme that my younger brother was going to do on them until he lost interest or just go for something different. This mostly because I thought Black/Tan is a rather dull colour combination even for something you want to look a bit more special forces-ish.

Frobbe posted:

that's the steel legion commisar, and he owns so much. sadly someone hosed up the gun on this one :(

Otherwise the Forgeworld Krieg Commissars aren't that bad.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Frobbe posted:

He's already serving in my Steel Legion platoon:

Because of course I have a Steel Legion platoon. IG, man.

Cooked Auto posted:

Now that is pretty rad. Even if you used the best head of the kit. :colbert:
Speaking of scions I ordered an extra set of legs and torso for my spare backpack so now I've got 6 scions that needs to be painted.
No idea though if I wanna do the Black Armour, Tan Fatigues scheme that my younger brother was going to do on them until he lost interest or just go for something different. This mostly because I thought Black/Tan is a rather dull colour combination even for something you want to look a bit more special forces-ish.

Otherwise the Forgeworld Krieg Commissars aren't that bad.
I've got like 6 of those kits, so I think I could spare just one head! If you want to do special forces or something like that, a deep blue and black/grey may work. A friend of mine wants me to paint up a second formation of these guys in night ops colors and while he's an evil bastard for suggesting it, I don't hate the idea.

And the Krieg Commissars "aren't that bad" is understatement of the year, those models absolutely rule. Unfortunately their gasmask isn't consistent with the Scions one so that's why I converted up my own. That and I got that Commissar for cheap when some store was quitting the GW biz.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

So did anyone want these lovely tiny robot men? I found four of them unopened.
Yes, I stand by my earlier wanting of them. PM or email at p.h.dolan at gmail.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

I've got like 6 of those kits, so I think I could spare just one head! If you want to do special forces or something like that, a deep blue and black/grey may work. A friend of mine wants me to paint up a second formation of these guys in night ops colors and while he's an evil bastard for suggesting it, I don't hate the idea.

Yeah I was thinking something in deep blue as well or a dark grey. Then again I've always wanted to try painting US ACU/UCP camo and these guys have enough open spaces on them to make that work possibly. Found at least one good guide that uses Vallejo colours for it so it could be done.

SRM posted:

And the Krieg Commissars "aren't that bad" is understatement of the year, those models absolutely rule. Unfortunately their gasmask isn't consistent with the Scions one so that's why I converted up my own. That and I got that Commissar for cheap when some store was quitting the GW biz.

Yeah that was a dumb phrasing on my part as I honestly want one of those as well.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I will say, the one thing that surprised me is the deceptively small amount of open space on the Scions models. Even the gold trim on mine go all the way around them, and there's no room on the torsos for freehand or unit markings. Even with the shoulders, there's not really much room to put a squad number or anything of the sort. They're gothic as gently caress and I really dig them, but that's just something to keep in mind.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

SRM posted:

This Commissar is awesome, if I ever get around to doing scions (I won't, but a man can dream), I'm totally stealing this idea.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
here's my progress on my transports

i really need two more of those autocannon turrets, and it seems like Forgeworld at least don't have insane shipping for those.

and i gues i'll need that inquisition rear door because it's goddamn awesome.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

I will say, the one thing that surprised me is the deceptively small amount of open space on the Scions models. Even the gold trim on mine go all the way around them, and there's no room on the torsos for freehand or unit markings. Even with the shoulders, there's not really much room to put a squad number or anything of the sort. They're gothic as gently caress and I really dig them, but that's just something to keep in mind.

Yeah but at the same time there is a lot more open and uncovered space than the normal Cadian Guardsmen whose chest is more often than not completely obscured by their rifles which means you only really have the shoulders and helmet visible.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SRM posted:

Its a symptom of what I don't like about the modern GW trend. Theres just SO much detail on them when sometimes, less is more.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

SRM posted:

The Stormtroopers look sicknasty, I especially like the detail you put into the screens on the gauntlets. Seamless work on the Commissar.

Hot drat, that is so much better! I didn't know that was even an option, I see the lugs now that you pointed them out. Why not mount them on the turret, in case it gets immobilized and there are infantry right in front of its bumper? I'll take the 360' firing arc, anyway.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Post 9-11 User posted:

The Stormtroopers look sicknasty, I especially like the detail you put into the screens on the gauntlets. Seamless work on the Commissar.

Hot drat, that is so much better! I didn't know that was even an option, I see the lugs now that you pointed them out. Why not mount them on the turret, in case it gets immobilized and there are infantry right in front of its bumper? I'll take the 360' firing arc, anyway.

The only reason to ever mount guns on the side is if you are fielding the taurox prime. You can even add a stormbolter

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Post 9-11 User posted:

You use the turret for the guns on the normal version. It's only the prime that has guns in a goofy place, because the turret usually has a different gun on it (except for the missile launcher?).

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

LordAba posted:

You use the turret for the guns on the normal version. It's only the prime that has guns in a goofy place, because the turret usually has a different gun on it (except for the missile launcher?).

The turret isn't mounted when the launcher is on

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

SRM posted:

Mate, I really like the commissar, but I think you'd be better off using the peaked cap from the cadian command sprue - just slice it off the officer's head it's attached to. The stock model commissar hat is just insanely large. If that's the effect you're going for, though, obviously I withdraw my statement.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Genghis Cohen posted:

Mate, I really like the commissar, but I think you'd be better off using the peaked cap from the cadian command sprue - just slice it off the officer's head it's attached to. The stock model commissar hat is just insanely large. If that's the effect you're going for, though, obviously I withdraw my statement.

I was thinking about it, but I don't have one of those heads lying around. I was actually originally planning to use the Hellhound commander head, but I already used mine on my counts-as Straken. I had the giant hat, so why not use it? It is a bit silly, but with the bigger head it's not as bad as it is on the stock model.

Frobbe posted:

The only reason to ever mount guns on the side is if you are fielding the taurox prime. You can even add a stormbolter
Stormtroopers can only take Taurox Primes as dedicated transports, so I had to put them on. I need the heavy weapons anyway for this army.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The hat needs to be large, for clarity. If the soldiers can't see the commissar's hat in the middle of the battle, how will they know what to be afraid of?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

Obliterats? I still think Centurions would be good Oblit standins with a little converting.

No amount of converting will save you from that model

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

BULBASAUR posted:

No amount of converting will save you from that model

I really want some of their bits, those drills are pretty rad.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Whoa, who makes the body on this one? Any ideas?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Man I love low point count games so much. Played panascope's IG today against my Dark Eldar at 850 points. The game finished on turn 6, with something like 9 points to me, 8 to him, and featured so many close calls that could have swung the game either way a half dozen times.

Special mention to my kabalite warrior who watched his whole squad die to wyvern fire, began retreating, rallied on snake eyes, passed pinning tests, then made it into a bunker to keep from awarding panascope the VP for the unit. Also to my Archon who weathered 2 turns of concentrated wyvern and heavy bolter fire, passing every save without a clone field on just armour and FnPs. Finally, to my Ravager that turned that eversor assassin into a puddle.

Dark Eldar are really fun to play. It's not at all like SM type armies where you can pretty much tell by turn 3 whether you've taken too many casualties to pull something off. With DE, they just get *better* as the game goes on, so on turn 6 when you're last ditch charging into half a squad that's holding an objective, you know that you've got furious charge, FnP, rage and combat drugs turning even the most benign troop into a PCP'd up ragepot.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

BlackIronHeart posted:

Whoa, who makes the body on this one? Any ideas?

Sculped and cast by some dude called Thaimer apparently - https://eternalhunt.wordpress.com/2014/06/13/big-guns-never-tire/

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Finished up some orks recently, so y'all get lovely phone pics.

Looted wagon #1.

Looted wagon #2.

Deffkoptas.

Mega armored mek with KFF.

Counts-as loota, ded shiny shoota mek, and counts-as Grotsnik.

Mega dred.

Gorkanaut.
(If you look closely you can see he has a turret on a turret on a turret on a turret on a turret!)

Did I do it right??? :ohdear:

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Monoliths posted:

Looted wagon #1.

Looted wagon #2.

Deffkoptas.

Mega dred.

Gorkanaut.
(If you look closely you can see he has a turret on a turret on a turret on a turret on a turret!)

Quite right.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I really did that dingy turquoise and olive skin tones. Nice poo poo man. Also good conversions all around.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Monoliths posted:

Looted wagon #1.

Looted wagon #2.

Deffkoptas.

Mega dred.

Gorkanaut.

I like your poo poo. I like good conversions because I can steal ideas and incorporate them into my own.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks gang. :cheers:

Steal away, they're all pretty simple kitbashes anyway!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I recognize just about every piece of those looted wagons, and i'm really impressed with how well you pulled off the first one especially.

You're my kinda guy, Monoliths.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I really like the idea of a pintle mounted Nova Cannon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

The hat needs to be large, for clarity. If the soldiers can't see the commissar's hat in the middle of the battle, how will they know what to be afraid of?

They're Guardsmen.

"Everything" is generally a good place to start.

• Locked thread