Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Like if there was a super convoluted chess manga I would read that in a heartbeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Like if there was a super convoluted chess manga I would read that in a heartbeat
code geass

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

My Hero Academia is a legit good series, and this is coming from someone who doesn't really like the Shounen genre at all.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Imagine our hero facing an opponent who opens with B4... the arcs basically write themselves

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Endorph posted:

code geass

*clears throat* ahem: Code Gay rear end

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah that's what's great about it

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
Edit: I forgot my quote then a bunch of people posted.

Is that the one with the page where the dude is playing Go against Void from Berserk in 4 dimensions? My understanding is that the manga won't teach you poo poo about Go and since I'm only passingly familiar with the game I haven't given it a shot. I had a poster here shoot me a mahjong primer so I could start reading Akagi lmao.

The manga (and I think also the anime) have little go primers at the end of the chapters/episodes. They won't teach you enough to be good but they'll teach you enough to understand the game and appreciate the story, but I don't think it's even necessary because it's mostly about character growth. You know Hikaru made a good go move when lightning comes out of the go stones. Do you really need to know mahjong well to enjoy Akagi cuz I love Kaiji but know nothing about mahjong and that's kept me away.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The two episodes of Akagi I watched are the most confused I have ever been watching an anime.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Cheers Zorak, you did a good job, this place will not be the same with out ya.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Chode Gay rear end

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Paper Triangle posted:

Edit: I forgot my quote then a bunch of people posted.

The manga (and I think also the anime) have little go primers at the end of the chapters/episodes. They won't teach you enough to be good but they'll teach you enough to understand the game and appreciate the story, but I don't think it's even necessary because it's mostly about character growth. You know Hikaru made a good go move when lightning comes out of the go stones. Do you really need to know mahjong well to enjoy Akagi cuz I love Kaiji but know nothing about mahjong and that's kept me away.

Yeah you really do need to know mahjong. It's the equivalent of watching pro poker in manga form, otherwise you're just watching guys go AAHHH!!! and ZAWA ZAWA back and forth and missing out on the cool stuff they're trying to show you. Like "cool stuff" might be overreaching here but to the extent that you might be impressed by a sick bluff or someone doing a cool raise on suited connectors in poker.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Most of the minefield mahjong arc of Kaiji was lost on me since I had no clue what was going on, RIP.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
The minefield arc was loving stupid because not only did you need to know mahjong for the best enjoyment you also had to layer on their stupid see through minefield rules

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Imagine our hero facing an opponent who opens with B4... the arcs basically write themselves

lmfao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Imagine Chihayafuru but chess.....holy poo poo

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The worst part about Minefield Majhong was when I first heard about it I assumed Kaiji would be playing mahjong on an actual minefield.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Akagi is actually pretty good because the game itself is fairly simple and Akagi gets placed in more and more complex situations with his opponents trying to exploit Akagi's "weaknesses" which are basically just opportunities for them to teach you more advanced mahjong game theory and have Akagi improve his game or whatever. Like 10 chapters in you can look at their set of tiles and basically go "Oh that hand is good, that hand is bad" and have a general idea about what they'll need to draw to win. The scoring itself is crazy so knowing like "woah that hand is a lot of points!!!" doesn't come naturally but they sort of teach you as you go with the "Akagi needs a huge hand to win here!" moments. Plus the scoring is similar to poker hands where it's going to be determined by a particular hands probability so basically the harder a hand would be to assemble the more points it is.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The worst part about Minefield Majhong was when I first heard about it I assumed Kaiji would be playing mahjong on an actual minefield.

The tiles are actually deactivated landmines and one in 10 is actually still working. Will Kaiji's luck prevent him from having his hand maimed like an Angolan child?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Akagi is actually pretty good because the game itself is fairly simple and Akagi gets placed in more and more complex situations with his opponents trying to exploit Akagi's "weaknesses" which are basically just opportunities for them to teach you more advanced mahjong game theory and have Akagi improve his game or whatever. Like 10 chapters in you can look at their set of tiles and basically go "Oh that hand is good, that hand is bad" and have a general idea about what they'll need to draw to win. The scoring itself is crazy so knowing like "woah that hand is a lot of points!!!" doesn't come naturally but they sort of teach you as you go with the "Akagi needs a huge hand to win here!" moments. Plus the scoring is similar to poker hands where it's going to be determined by a particular hands probability so basically the harder a hand would be to assemble the more points it is.

I wouldn't mind if that PM was forwarded off so I could learn some poo poo about mahjong and read some drat good mahjong manga.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The next Kaiji arc is about highstakes Poker, can't wait to read it in 2025.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Sure I'll shoot it to you, it's a very informative PM and between it and the easy pace of Akagi you should be good to go.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Imagine Chihayafuru but chess.....holy poo poo

I have not watched Ping Pong and only seen gifs of it but I want Ping Pong but for Chess

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sure I'll shoot it to you, it's a very informative PM and between it and the easy pace of Akagi you should be good to go.

Post the PMs.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Hell, I'll just make an Akagi thread

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Thank you.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's a shame that Mudazumo Naki Kaikaku got dropped by scanlators. It lacked Koizumi and was tackling on internal japanese politics on part 2 but it still had funny and badass Mahjong stuff.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
The original PM has some links to outside resources and stuff about playing online that I took out. If you want that stuff just shoot me a message and I'll forward everything to you

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The original PM has some links to outside resources and stuff about playing online that I took out. If you want that stuff just shoot me a message and I'll forward everything to you

Thank you. I'm busy tomorrow watching Nymphomaniac but after that I'll probably read some Akagi

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
just post in the akagi thread and i'll answer any mahjong questions you have :cool:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Outer Science posted:

just post in the akagi thread and i'll answer any mahjong questions you have :cool:

drat you even have a mahjong av...that's badass

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Everything I know about mahjong comes from Hong Kong movies with chatty housewives who gossip over games

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

There used to be a mahjong thread, or maybe its still there somewhere.

I'd play some online games sometime.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I played a teeny bit of Mahjong in high school, then fell out of it. I like Go, it's elegant and intuitive. No one actually taught me how to play, but you can work out good tactics from first principles.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
please make a thread where people post their myanimelist lists, mine is unfortunately private so i shan't. however, i would feel Free to post my 10, 9 and perhaps 8 rated anime

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

who's the new moderator?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
None

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

who's the new moderator?

No mods no masters and the posting's never been better

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Posters without Modders

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

No mods no masters and the posting's never been better

i agree with that but someone un-stickied the winter season thread and i thought the new mod had been chosen or something

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Serious post to new mod: over the last 48 hours ADTRW has been the best it's been in years. Please don't overmoderate it.

• Locked thread