Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah fortunately it rarely comes up

That's ok, rap was a fan of a different team too. Then they made some small changes for financial reasons and he bandwagoned some other team because he liked their colors or something.

Jokes on him, his old team has already won two Super Bowls. :laugh:

Edit
VVVV
Picturing Modell as a wannabe Christian Slater makes the move that much funnier.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
i love my dead gay team

Adrenalist
Jul 8, 2009
How do injury guarantees work under the salary cap? Do you just get to write that expense off the books if the guy can't play?

What about contracts that guarantee yearly salary? I'm imagining a guy who signs a $10m extension a year, all unguaranteed, for 5 years. However, at the beginning of every year, that year's salary becomes guaranteed. Would his cap hits if cut mid-season look like this?

Year 1: $10m
Year 2: $8m + $10m
Year 3: $6m + $7.5m + $10m
Year 4: $4m + $5m + $6.6m + $10m
Year 5: $2m + $2.5m + $3.3m + $5m + $10m

IIRC this contract is very similar to Kaep's, which is widely regarded as very team friendly because he can be cut pretty much at any time with almost no downside to the 49'ers--but this contract looks like it puts you in the worst kind of hell very quickly. What gives?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Injury guarantees just means they get paid if they go on IR and are released and can't just be cut with a medical settlement which teams will often do with lower tier guys (especially in training camp). That's still counted against the salary cap.

As for that yearly guaranteed money contract:

Depends on how they worded it, but players that have their base salary become guaranteed basically treats the salary cap hit like a roster bonus, and will fully count for that year's salary cap.
If you want to spread the cap hit over multiple years, you convert it to a Signing bonus, that would be split.

In Kaepernick's case, since it's effectively all roster bonuses, they can just cut him whenever before a season and not pay much of anything. And if he's like the biggest dick ever and you have to cut him mid-season, then you just owe him the rest of that year's salary and that cap hit.

So if his money just became guaranteed each year, his deal would have cap hits of:

Y1: $10m
Y2: $10m
Y3: $10m
Y4: $10m
Y5: $10m

If every year you just converted all of it to signing bonuses (minimum base salary scales up to a million, but for ease of discussion here), it would have cap hits of:

Y1: $2m
Y2: $2m + $2.5m
Y3: $2m + $2.5m + $3.33m
Y4: $2m + $2.5m + $3.33m + $5m
Y5: $2m + $2.5m + $3.33m + $5m + $10m

So say, he has that $10m per contract, but a bunch of players are going to hit free agency in years 2 and 3 and you need cap space bad, plus hey, the cap keeps going up up up!

Year 1: $10m salary, $10m cap hit
Year 2: $10m salary, Convert $9m to signing bonus, $3.25m cap hit
Year 3: $10m salary, Convert $9m to signing bonus, $1m base + $2.25m from Y2, +$3m from Y3 = $6.25m cap hit
Year 4: $10m salary, $15.25m cap hit $10.5m dead money if cut before season starts
Year 5: $10m salary, $15.25m cap hit $5.25m dead money if cut before season starts

Kalli fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 1, 2015

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
This is pages back, but thanks everybody for the discussion of how recruiting in the NCAA matches up with team success. Now, next question!

What's a good site for in depth examinations of matchups? I'm thinking of something like the equivalent of the Jack Slack articles, but for Oregon vs. FSU.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Grifter posted:

This is pages back, but thanks everybody for the discussion of how recruiting in the NCAA matches up with team success. Now, next question!

What's a good site for in depth examinations of matchups? I'm thinking of something like the equivalent of the Jack Slack articles, but for Oregon vs. FSU.

You are probably best off looking for popular blogs of both teams. They are likely the only people who have watched enough of at least one of the teams to know them in-depth.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
e: Wrong thread

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Are all of the athletic facilities and administrative offices generally located within the stadiums, or do they do some of that stuff in nondescript office buildings?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

SkunkDuster posted:

Are all of the athletic facilities and administrative offices generally located within the stadiums, or do they do some of that stuff in nondescript office buildings?

I know for the Redskins they are located in two very different places. FedEx Field is up in Maryland while Redskins Park(where they practice and the admin offices are located) is down in Virginia. And I wouldn't exactly call Redskins Park nondescript, but it isn't a giant stadium.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

SkunkDuster posted:

The Rams' stadium is in downtown St. Louis, while Rams Park is ~20 minutes away in Earth City, MO.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SkunkDuster posted:

The Lions play in downtown Detroit but their practice field and I presume headquarters are down river in Allen Park.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
The Bengals have their stadium right on the riverfront, team offices and administration located in the stadium, and practice in a strip of grass across the street, under a highway overpass, with shards of broken glass and chunks of concrete littering the field.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Seahawks have their stadium downtown, but the headquarters and practice facility is located in Renton, about 5-7 miles south.

That's where they hold their training camp after decades of holding it in some random-rear end college town across the mountains.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
You can literally throw poo poo onto the 49ers HQ from the stadium now that they moved to Santa Clara but they're two distinct buildings because the stadium was just built next to the existing buildings. The HQ is adjacent to the practice facility, too.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Now that I think about it, it makes sense. If I was going to have my team to come in and review film or whatever they do when they aren't playing, It would probably be a pain in the rear end for them to have to come to work in the stadium when Garth Brooks is playing or whatever else they do with the stadiums the rest of the week.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If I make a thread where we create food to match football players, would it be wrong?

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Gatts posted:

If I make a thread where we create food to match football players, would it be wrong?

It's football related and you're trying to have fun so I don't see why not? Worst case scenario the thread doesn't take off. More threads are always good.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Gatts posted:

What if Mike Vick was a rack of ribs?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Gatts posted:

Make it food and drinks so we can enjoy refreshing cocktails such as Marshawn Lynchburg Lemonade and Drew SeaBreeze.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

FIRST TIME posted:

Make it food and drinks so we can enjoy refreshing cocktails such as Marshawn Lynchburg Lemonade and Drew SeaBreeze.

A.M.F. (Aldon, mother fucker)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
A question about fake punts/FG attempts. If the punter or holder runs or passes the ball instead, or the ball is snapped to someone closer to the line of scrimmage, is he considered to be the quarterback for that play?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

A question about fake punts/FG attempts. If the punter or holder runs or passes the ball instead, or the ball is snapped to someone closer to the line of scrimmage, is he considered to be the quarterback for that play?

Can you rephrase this? Like are you asking if it would be roughing the passer should he be hit in the head or after a throw? Because "considered the quarterback for that play" doesn't really mean anything.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I guess what I'm really wondering what the rules are about who can receive the snap. Like if the quarterback is in shotgun, can you snap to a running back right next to him instead?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yes. The running back direct snap is a common trick play in college. Anyone behind the center can receive the snap.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

stubblyhead posted:

I guess what I'm really wondering what the rules are about who can receive the snap. Like if the quarterback is in shotgun, can you snap to a running back right next to him instead?

Yeah, you see it pretty often as far as trick plays go. Also the QB pretends the ball goes over his head at the same time.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

stubblyhead posted:

NFL rules (Rule 7) on the subject:

quote:

Article 3: Restrictions for Snapper.
The snap (3-32) may be made by any offensive player who is on the line of scrimmage but must conform to the following provisions:
(a) The snap must start with the ball on the ground, with its long axis horizontal and at right angles to the line.
(b)It is not necessary that the snap be between the snapper’s legs, but it must be one quick and continuous motion of the hand or hands of the snapper. The ball must leave or be taken from his hands during this motion.
(c) The snapper may not snap the ball after it is ready for play until all of the officials have had a reasonable time to assume their normal positions. If this occurs, the ball remains dead, and no penalty is assessed unless it is a repeated act after a warning (delay of game).
Penalty: For illegally snapping the ball: Loss of five yards from the line of scrimmage.

Article 4: Legal Snap.
A snap is a backward pass. The snap must be received by a player who is not on the line at the snap,unless the ball first strikes the ground. If the ball first strikes the ground, or is muffed by an eligible backfield receiver, or quarterback under center, it can be recovered and advanced by any player.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Well now I'm curious.

If your punter of field goal holder is blatantly attempting to throw the ball on a fake, and you flat out drill the gently caress out of them in a way that would draw a personal foul on a quarterback, what penalty is called? Roughing the passer?

I ask because the penalty isn't "roughing the quarterback."

Or is it...

Makes you think.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Cole posted:

If your punter of field goal holder is blatantly attempting to throw the ball on a fake, and you flat out drill the gently caress out of them in a way that would draw a personal foul on a quarterback, what penalty is called? Roughing the passer?

Yeah, whoever's throwing a pass is considered defenseless. Same thing if there's a trick play with someone throwing a pass to a QB who gets drilled in the head catching it, he'd be considered a defenseless receiver in that case.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

NFL rules posted:

ROUGHING THE PASSER
Article 13
Because the act of passing often puts the quarterback (or any other player attempting a pass) in a position where he is particularly vulnerable to injury, special rules against roughing the passer apply.
and the rule refers to "passer" throughout. I'd guess HBs throwing on a trick play might get slightly less protection in reality than golden boy QBs but just for unconscious reasons, not by rule.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Cole posted:

Well now I'm curious.

I ask because the penalty isn't "roughing the quarterback."

Or is it...

Makes you think.

Likewise, can roughing the passer be called on the halfback in a halfback option play?

e: answers that question. I guess the same would be true for roughing the kicker on a drop kick?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

unconscious reasons
I wasn't asking about Colt McCoy.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

stubblyhead posted:

Likewise, can roughing the passer be called on the halfback in a halfback option play?

e: answers that question. I guess the same would be true for roughing the kicker on a drop kick?

Roughing the passer and roughing the kicker are slightly different animals. Any passer gets roughing-the-passer protection; the rules and philosophies around it can get long and complex, but the important feature is that it's (mostly) about not hitting the passer after it's become obvious that he has thrown the ball, and a genuine attempt to sack him that arrives slightly too late is not a foul. There's a couple of wrinkles around hitting passers high or low, but that's the basic principle.

However, in order to get kicker protection, it must first be obvious that a kick is going to be made, so you need to have something that looks like a kick formation. In exchange for that, the kicker (and the holder of a place-kick) gets protection against any kind of contact after the kick has been made until he recovers himself, regardless of whether or not the defender was making a genuine attempt to block the kick. This is because a kicker who has just kicked the ball is possibly the most defenseless player in all of football. Special teams players are coached to take an angle and dive in front of the kicker, not directly at him, for this reason. (Exceptions are available for players who are blocked into the kicker, and players who succeed in blocking a kick.)

The other thing that kickers get because of their vulnerability is running-into protection. Running into the kicker is any contact that "displaces the kicker from his kicking position without being roughed." It's a five-yard penalty with no automatic first down. The canonical example of the difference between running into and roughing is that contact with a kicker's kicking leg is usually running into the kicker, and contact with his plant leg is usually roughing.

So, back to the point; Doug Flutie in this play would have kicker protection, but when this punter moves, it's no longer obvious that a kick has been made and he loses kicker protection. (I'd still call unnecessary roughness if someone hit him late enough for it to have been roughing the passer if he were a passer, if that makes sense.)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Explain the "reporting as ineligible" thing in the Patriot/Raven game to me, and why it was so effective, please.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rick posted:

Explain the "reporting as ineligible" thing in the Patriot/Raven game to me, and why it was so effective, please.

Because Shane Vereen does not have an offensive lineman's number, he is normally considered an eligible receiver and free to move downfield. But by declaring to the official that he was ineligible and lining up on the line of scrimmage, he was effectively acting as another lineman. It worked so well because 1) nobody ever does that, so the Ravens were accounting for more receivers then there were and 2) the referee only has to announce when someone with a number between 50-79 is eligible, not when someone else is ineligible (which is why it's an illegal formation when a receiver is "covered" by somebody parallel to him and he still goes downfield).

I think. Somebody else can probably explain it better.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Because Shane Vereen does not have an offensive lineman's number, he is normally considered an eligible receiver and free to move downfield. But by declaring to the official that he was ineligible and lining up on the line of scrimmage, he was effectively acting as another lineman. It worked so well because 1) nobody ever does that, so the Ravens were accounting for more receivers then there were and 2) the referee only has to announce when someone with a number between 50-79 is eligible, not when someone else is ineligible (which is why it's an illegal formation when a receiver is "covered" by somebody parallel to him and he still goes downfield).

I think. Somebody else can probably explain it better.

Interesting.
So, basically they wasted a defender on a guy who couldn't move, and they didn't know he couldn't move. If he had not declared as ineligible would it have been a penalty for him to act as a lineman?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Rick posted:

Interesting.
So, basically they wasted a defender on a guy who couldn't move, and they didn't know he couldn't move. If he had not declared as ineligible would it have been a penalty for him to act as a lineman?

I believe so because of the NFL's numbering rules. Different positions are only allowed to wear certain numbers.

I'm sure Trin will be here any second to explain why that's a good thing but it's always pissed me off.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Here's a solid explanation of what's going on.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So me and a friend made a bet on the Baltimore-New England Game and she took Baltimore 7 points over. Patriots won, 35-31. Do I owe her lunch? :confused:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
She took Baltimore, and she gave you seven points? Or you gave her seven? If you said "Patriots by seven or more" then you owe her, if not then she owes you, either way don't make bets you don't understand imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

football fuckerman posted:

She took Baltimore, and she gave you seven points? Or you gave her seven? If you said "Patriots by seven or more" then you owe her, if not then she owes you, either way don't make bets you don't understand imo
She said Ravens by seven or more

• Locked thread