Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Swagger Dagger posted:

Do all transformable kits look like total rear end when transformed into a plane or is it just the Lightning Gundam?

It's the Lightning Gundam, so anything about it is going to look like rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Swagger Dagger posted:

Do all transformable kits look like total rear end when transformed into a plane or is it just the Lightning Gundam?

RG Zeta looks pretty close to what it looks like on the show but I wish there was less frame showing on top. Buy four of them and be like this guy:

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

So I went ahead and bought that RG Zaku II. Even after hearing about the improvements in the molding process, I still couldn't help but get stupidly excited when I started clipping off pieces of the internal frame and everything just started moving. I think I may still be ten years old. :v:

Still working on the build, but which size base should I get to pose it in mid-air?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Have any of you ever used Gaia Color paints before? the Volks Fei Yen is calling for them. can I use any thinner with them? if so, what's the ratio for paint to thinner if I need to lay on multiple layers of paint?

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 10, 2015

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Dulkor posted:

So I went ahead and bought that RG Zaku II. Even after hearing about the improvements in the molding process, I still couldn't help but get stupidly excited when I started clipping off pieces of the internal frame and everything just started moving. I think I may still be ten years old. :v:

Still working on the build, but which size base should I get to pose it in mid-air?

This size should work for almost any 1/144, exceptions being the Kshatriyas and the Neo Zeong and other similarly enormous kits.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Swagger Dagger posted:

Do all transformable kits look like total rear end when transformed

Yes.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Swagger Dagger posted:

The better ones tend to look great from 75% of the angles, and utterly hilarious and weird otherwise.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

muike posted:

A nodachi may be of the appropriate size, goonsire

This is amazing. :allears:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Alright, I've remodelled my display shelf. I've gone with a pure Gundam theme for a while. At the moment it's MG GX, MG RX-78-2 2.0, HG Build MkII, HG Zeta (I love you Zeta but sweet jesus the HG is bad), HG 00 Raiser with GN Sword III, HG Wing and HG Nu.

My next purchases are looking to be MG Spallow and MG Force Impulse. I'm open to other suggestions for MG Gundams though, in case there's a hidden gem I really should build.

And once The O arrives, I've got space elsewhere to have Zeta and The O staring each other down.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
MG AGE-1 Normal is honestly better than AGE-1 S. Also I'd get Sword Impulse over Force, but then again I just like silly huge swords.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

BlitzBlast posted:

MG AGE-1 Normal is honestly better than AGE-1 S. Also I'd get Sword Impulse over Force, but then again I just like silly huge swords.

Yeah, but AGE-1 Normal isn't a NinjaGundam.

Plus I like the traditional Gundam colouring, and the Force still has one silly huge sword.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

In that case, consider picking up one of the DM Strike vRMs. They're both up for preorder on Gundam Central right now and look beautiful.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Is there a dalong-esque site with all the SD Musha gundams and such?

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Please tell me how I am screwing up hand painting here.

Paints used - All Vallejo game color. White primer, black, green is blue/yellow mixed. Thinned with distilled water. Just bought new brushes (brown something synthetic).

The black using iirc 2:1 ratio of paint/water comes out fine as you can see on the wing. The only issues there are a fingerprint or something. It dries evenly.

The white on my test rick dias legs is another matter completely. The left leg is new brushes. I've tried thinning the white primer with various ratios, and even unthinned. It always goes on inconsistently and pools. If I thin it enough it doesn't even stick to the plastic.

The blue/green has a similar issue but even unthinned it seems to be really watery. I have shaken the bottles a ton, hit the bottom with my hand and even mixed it with the bottom of a paint brush. I figured it was an issue with the part not being primed and well you see how good I am at applying this white primer.

tgv
Oct 16, 2008

Doesn't look like you're masking or layering

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

White always takes multiple coats, and your primer coat is just to add tooth for other paint to adhere. If it's beading use less water and don't load up your brush, you should be dipping into your paint and then wiping the excess on a bare spot of the palate so you're just using whatever is trapped between the bristles.

Light pigments will always show through, if you're building up to white it can be easier to apply a grey primer (which will show the plastic colour less) and then layer white. It will probably take 3-5 coats to get a smooth, clear white colour.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

How well does acetone based nail polish remover work for cleaning up Tamiya putty? For cleaning a metal tool, not for anything involving the model itself (I know well enough that it can gently caress with the plastic something fierce).

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Built a Zogok last night:

I really like this kit, though it suffers from the curse of Unicorn wrap-around wrist stickers. Super easy build, surprisingly flexible (would be even moreso but the backpack completely locks the torso in place, wasting the balljoint).

Still need to work on some sanding around the legs and there's a couple of marks that need touching up now that I look at it today.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Did the Gundam 00 line not do well? It seems pretty light on MGs.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Pretty much. It has a lot of 1/100s though, and they're alright. Especially the S2 stuff.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Swagger Dagger posted:

I have this guy, it looks ok

not by me. this was painted with crystal perlescent colors and a bizarre alien method that allows sparkles.

Colon Semicolon posted:

Have any of you ever used Gaia Color paints before? the Volks Fei Yen is calling for them. can I use any thinner with them? if so, what's the ratio for paint to thinner if I need to lay on multiple layers of paint?

They work just like mr color lacquers, get some Mr. self-leveling-thinner http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Hobby-Leveling-Thinner-Bottle/dp/B00124MG50
I normally stick to 3:1 paint/thinner ratios since I live in a temperate/moist environment. You could try 2:1 first and see if it works. Be advised gaia color is mostly designed for airbrushing, if you were thinking of using paintbrushes.

Warmachine posted:

How well does acetone based nail polish remover work for cleaning up Tamiya putty? For cleaning a metal tool, not for anything involving the model itself (I know well enough that it can gently caress with the plastic something fierce).

Acetone will kill nearly any synthetic product, it should work. If not, most lacquer thinners should do the trick as they contain stuff that tears putty away.

Ka0 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 11, 2015

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

there was a real good goon post about airbrushes somewhere but I can't find it anywhere
it had prices and recommendations and everything
does anybody happen to have a link to it?

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 11, 2015

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I finished my first ever MG today (took me about a month). Say hi to the kind goons, Acguy!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Meanwhile, in Warmachine land, the G-Self's feet are stuck on coffee stirs with poster tack, waiting for me to fill in the bottoms before doing the final painting.

The rest of the G-Self is on an action base, waiting for me to finish with the feet for the rest of the model. I'm really good at talking about painting and not actually doing it.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Ka0 posted:

They work just like mr color lacquers, get some Mr. self-leveling-thinner http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Hobby-Leveling-Thinner-Bottle/dp/B00124MG50
I normally stick to 3:1 paint/thinner ratios since I live in a temperate/moist environment. You could try 2:1 first and see if it works. Be advised gaia color is mostly designed for airbrushing, if you were thinking of using paintbrushes.

Huh. I do have an airbrush, but it seems almost... unnecessary for this thing? the parts are so tiny it would be easier to use paintbrushes than try to go and break out the tape and spray on the thing.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 11, 2015

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
So what's the best rg in everyone's opinion? Currently I'm leaning towards the justice. I'm in Japan atm and need to spend some cash on plastic!

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
Char's Z'Gok by far. Followed by the MK II. The SEED ones are even more fragile than the RX-78-2 from what I've heard.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Uznare posted:

Char's Z'Gok by far. Followed by the MK II. The SEED ones are even more fragile than the RX-78-2 from what I've heard.

Actually both the Strike and Freedom are really solid RG's. The Freedom's wings are a bit fidgety, but they generally stay put when posed.

If you go for an RG Strike, go the extra mile and get the RG Skygrasper for the Sword and Launcher Packs.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Vahtooch posted:

So what's the best rg in everyone's opinion? Currently I'm leaning towards the justice. I'm in Japan atm and need to spend some cash on plastic!

RG Justice is fine, just don't expect it to ever stand on its own with that backpack.

The only outright fragile RGs are the original two (Gundam, Zaku II) and Zeta because duh. Everything else is... well, I guess they are more fragile than a HG, but they're not made of glass either. They just tend to have balance issues because SEED backpacks.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I haven't had a problem with the RG Mk-II, and while I don't own the RG Exia it looks really amazing and I haven't heard any complaints.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

My SO bought me the Strike Freedom for christmas and I'm honestly really intimidated about putting it together. I've never dealt with metallic finish on a sprue and I'm worried the parts are gonna be super fiddly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Broken Loose posted:

I haven't had a problem with the RG Mk-II, and while I don't own the RG Exia it looks really amazing and I haven't heard any complaints.

I can vouch for the RG Exia. It's nice and sturdy.

Swagger Dagger posted:

My SO bought me the Strike Freedom for christmas and I'm honestly really intimidated about putting it together. I've never dealt with metallic finish on a sprue and I'm worried the parts are gonna be super fiddly.

It's an RG. Super-fiddly parts are the kit line's bread-and-butter :v:. Just take your time and build it on something low to the floor rather than at your desk. Some of those pieces can ping off into the ether like you wouldn't believe.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The RG Freedom is pretty solid, and although my GP-01 Fb kinda has stability issues, I haven't heard of anyone else having the same problems. The only problem the Freedom has is doing anything fancy involving its wings without a stand because SEED backpacks, but it hasn't felt like it's going to fall apart in my hands like the GP-01 did sometimes.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Swagger Dagger posted:

The way the shiny gold parts are molded on the runner the nub marks are completely hidden by the dragoon and coverings, don't worry about sanding them off and having to repaint since the shiny will be all scratched up - its not necessary.

Other then that I think you'll find it to be a straight forward build. The wing unit is much less fiddly than the RG Freedom's and it looks fantastic.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

madpanda posted:

Please tell me how I am screwing up hand painting here.

Lots of tips and guides to be found in the Miniature Painting Thread, also search youtube.

everythingWasBees posted:

there was a real good goon post about airbrushes somewhere but I can't find it anywhere
it had prices and recommendations and everything
does anybody happen to have a link to it?

Here you go

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I have no idea where I'm gonna put this thing.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
What the gently caress is that and how did you do it

This would be a great thing to link in the OP.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaius Marius posted:

I have no idea where I'm gonna put this thing.

now buy 30 more and pose them in the ring formation

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NTRabbit posted:

Lots of tips and guides to be found in the Miniature Painting Thread, also search youtube.

Here you go

FYI, the el cheapo harbor frieght kit is perfectly fine if all you are doing is painting pieces solid colors. You dont need anything better for gundams until you start shading and doing weathering.

It can also prime and topcoat just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Frankenstein Dad posted:

What the gently caress is that and how did you do it

It's the Tsugumori from Knights of Sidonia.

Fauxtool posted:

now buy 30 more and pose them in the ring formation

It actually has a special set of hands for putting units the model in the clasp formation. The manual only shows two units but I'm pretty sure you could extend it out to any amount of Gardes.

I actually feel kind of bad that they even bothered putting in the Kabizashi and other weapons because even if I might actually be able to pose it better or make it look cooler with the other weapons there's no way in hell that that cannons ever coming off once I finish the model.