Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

this is a good manga

I'm extremly happy that my anonymous comment got them to translate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

GodFish posted:

Starts out bad, then gets fantastic.
And then back to bad again in time for the ending.

E: I think I recommended Houshin Engi to you once Cake Attack in the rec thread; it is pretty good. Also everyone has big feet for some reason.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wasn't the end of Negima basically "No, these new copyright laws are bullshit. gently caress you, gently caress this, I'm loving DONE."

The start of Negima was also basically "gently caress you, I wanna make a battle shonen."

Ken Akamatsu has a complicated relationship with his editors.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Wasn't the end of Negima basically "No, these new copyright laws are bullshit. gently caress you, gently caress this, I'm loving DONE."

The start of Negima was also basically "gently caress you, I wanna make a battle shonen."

Ken Akamatsu has a complicated relationship with his editors.

What copyright laws changed? Giving more power to the publishers at the expense of the authors?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think it was basically a proposed law that would give the publisher more control over the work, and would especially make it easier for them to shut down fanworks, which I believe Akamatsu didn't like because that's how he got his start.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
For his foibles, Ken is something of a badass.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Akamatsu has improved his art and writing to an incredible degree over the years. There are still many mangaka who are better at one or both, but he is the only one I can think of who has come so far while still putting out work of a consistent level. You just have to respect the hard work it must have taken on top of the already soul-crushing grind of doing a weekly manga.

Dude still loves drawing naked girls, though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Akamatsu has improved his art and writing to an incredible degree over the years. There are still many mangaka who are better at one or both, but he is the only one I can think of who has come so far while still putting out work of a consistent level. You just have to respect the hard work it must have taken on top of the already soul-crushing grind of doing a weekly manga.

He's pretty much been a mainstay in the manga scene continuously for 20+ years with multiple series, few other others ever make more then one big $$$ making work. It's pretty surprising that Ken has to put up with so much editorial poo poo when the HxH guy fucks off for months at a time and still has his contract.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

pentyne posted:

He's pretty much been a mainstay in the manga scene continuously for 20+ years with multiple series, few other others ever make more then one big $$$ making work. It's pretty surprising that Ken has to put up with so much editorial poo poo when the HxH guy fucks off for months at a time and still has his contract.

IIRC; Ken hasn't had much in the way of interference for UQ so maybe him sinking Negima made his point perfectly clear.

I think I've made my opinion on Togashi (and Jump, by and large) perfectly clear in the past.

Serious Frolicking posted:

He's paid his dues, he gets to play the blues.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I think given UQ Holder the man just likes harems. He doesn't need any editor pressure for that.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I really liked that in Negima the characters changed outfits semi-frequently. Off the top of my head I don't think this has happened much in UQ Holder, but the action scenes still being awesome totally makes up for it. Akamatsu is great at conveying fast movement!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

I think given UQ Holder the man just likes harems. He doesn't need any editor pressure for that.

How is UQ Holder a harem? The only character who's really a love interest for Touta is Kuromaru (who isn't even female).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Silento posted:

I really liked that in Negima the characters changed outfits semi-frequently. Off the top of my head I don't think this has happened much in UQ Holder, but the action scenes still being awesome totally makes up for it. Akamatsu is great at conveying fast movement!

Negima was also really good at handling its very large cast. Everyone in a given arc had something usually critical to do rather than the protagonist solving everything, and everyone had some time in the spotlight. UQ is looking good so far in that aspect as well, with the protagonist being nearly useless in the latest arc.

And the silver lining in Akamarsu really liking to draw girls is that he also characterizes them well and lets them be important beyond just being plot devices, and they get cool fights or other things to do, to boot.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Negima is bad and so is Uq holder. But luckily Blazing Transfer Student is very good. http://bato.to/read/_/294971/blazing-transfer-student_v10_ch91_by_hokuto-no-gun

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Blazing Ninjaman is so outstanding. I read both chapters today and now I just wanna read more. :sigh: Is there a schedule for it?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Not very often seems to be the schedule. But there are plenty of other Blazing manga to read. And the two episode Blazing Transfer Student OVA is great.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's really disappointing, but I'll check out Transfer Student. Shimamoto is pretty great.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

coathat posted:

Negima is bad and so is Uq holder. But luckily Blazing Transfer Student is very good. http://bato.to/read/_/294971/blazing-transfer-student_v10_ch91_by_hokuto-no-gun

I agree the Negima is bad and UQ Holder is just kind of mediocre. Your posting style is kind of abrasive, but you have good taste and have introduced me to a number of good series I wouldn't have heard of otherwise so I think that makes up for it.

edit: Blazing Transfer Student is absolutely hilarious. It's hard to believe it was written before I was born; some of the humor seems a lot more contemporary.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 4, 2015

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Torture Master Takagi chapter 12! It's amazing how much Kaiji-like stress this girl can induce in him just by playing a guessing game!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That was legitimately mean of her to deceive him about the test subject matter. She is going to keep harassing him until he fails out of high school.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
All part of the long-term plan. This way he'll be dependent on her both mentally and financially when they're married.

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's that time again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PZ7RLqJEs0

Three new chapters. http://bato.to/read/_/295838/stop-hibari-kun_v1_ch13_by_hachimitsu-scans

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Three new chapters of Tsukai no Yome! Haven't read'em yet but I can only hope they're as good as chapters 1-10.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Chapter of Teasing Titan Takagi - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Karakai-Jouzu-no-Takagi-san/Vol-002-Ch-013--Letter?id=218116

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Couldn't he have just gotten her back by simply ripping it in half once he knew she'd written it?

Of course, I guess he was too lost in his Kaiji-esque ZAWAZAWA world to think of it. Also, I guess it's because he's still a nice guy, if a bit paranoid and over-thinky, and that would be very rude.

Have to say though, I really like the side characters, like :haw: girl and :crossarms: and :geno:girl.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 10, 2015

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

He could destroy her at any moment just by chilling out and taking it in stride. He's not the best strategist, that's how it works.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

a new chapter of the Ballroom Dancing manga got posted a week ago. i missed it. i really like it and i hate it is being translated so slowly.

http://bato.to/read/_/294747/ballroom-e-youkoso_v1_ch3_by_simple-scans

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Takagi-San, Tiny Tyrant of Torture continues in this thrilling chapter about rock-paper-scissors!!

Good god, dude, she just about told you, why don't you get it??! :psyduck: He's just so dense!

Man, I'd like to see him get her back at least once, though. Yokoi is allowed to have her occasional wins against Seki, why not let Nishikata get a win on Takagi once in a while?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

a new chapter of the Ballroom Dancing manga got posted a week ago. i missed it. i really like it and i hate it is being translated so slowly.

http://bato.to/read/_/294747/ballroom-e-youkoso_v1_ch3_by_simple-scans

This comic is cool, thank you.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrSunshine posted:

Takagi-San, Tiny Tyrant of Torture continues in this thrilling chapter about rock-paper-scissors!!

Good god, dude, she just about told you, why don't you get it??! :psyduck: He's just so dense!

Man, I'd like to see him get her back at least once, though. Yokoi is allowed to have her occasional wins against Seki, why not let Nishikata get a win on Takagi once in a while?

This manga is killing my heart. Just ask her out already stupid boy!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

This manga is killing my heart. Just ask her out already stupid boy!

He's a middle school boy, of course he's dense and pretty stupid about his feelings!

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Also as a pureblood Japanese male he is incapable of pursuing a relationship with a 3D woman.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Two new chapters of Twin Star Exorcists. Really wish this came out more often, but monthly manga combined with scanlator speed I assume.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 11, 2015

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Allarion posted:

Two new chapters of Twin Star Exorcists. Really wish this came out more often, but monthly manga combined with scanlator speed I assume.

Wow, eyepatch-kid's a little rear end in a top hat.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Like two years ago or something I read through Kami sama no Iutoori which was an alright but not too great death game kind of deal and found out it had a sequel series and uh.

This is so loving trashy and dumb but I can't stop reading, characters just suddenly doing total 180s and turning into raving monsters and lunatics is hilarious to me. Is anyone else reading this pile because it's making me laugh.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Chapter 200 of Liar Game just came out and it looks like the series is coming to an extremely abrupt end. The next chapter will be the last.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Like two years ago or something I read through Kami sama no Iutoori which was an alright but not too great death game kind of deal and found out it had a sequel series and uh.

This is so loving trashy and dumb but I can't stop reading, characters just suddenly doing total 180s and turning into raving monsters and lunatics is hilarious to me. Is anyone else reading this pile because it's making me laugh.
That's the comic CR's releasing as "as the gods will", right?

That said, I have no patience for Death Game stories these days, Real Account (don't read it, it's arse) made an artform out of it. It's like the [C] of Death Game stories in it's pretentious attitudes, trying to be Black Mirror and utterly failing to understand why that's good.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 16, 2015

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

That's the comic CR's releasing as "as the gods will", right?

That said, I have no patience for Death Game stories these days, Real Account (don't read it, it's arse) made an artform out of it. It's like the [C] of Death Game stories in it's pretentious attitudes, trying to be Black Mirror and utterly failing to understand why that's good.

Yeah, I actually didn't know CR picked it up until today. I read through everything released and apparently it's really popular but I can't see why, even as a trashy death game it's really dumb. Maybe other people are retarded like me and reading it just because it's a trainwreck

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah, I actually didn't know CR picked it up until today. I read through everything released and apparently it's really popular but I can't see why, even as a trashy death game it's really dumb. Maybe other people are retarded like me and reading it just because it's a trainwreck

It is incredibly dumb, probably right up there on the level of the magical girl apocalypse manga, and I just can't make up my mind if it is intentional or accidental. At times it seems to just put in such a ridiculous gear that it comes off as a parody of its own extreme "ANYONE CAN DIE AT ANY TIME"-ethos. My two "favorite" examples of this so far have been the "Luck" game in the first one and "Rock, Paper, Scissors" in the second. It's probably not going to get any less dumb but hey I hung around for Gantz way past its welcome, might as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bushmeister posted:

It is incredibly dumb, probably right up there on the level of the magical girl apocalypse manga

I don't know what you're talking about, Magical Girls of the End is a masterpiece of high fiction