Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If you guys keep giving him computer advice we'll have TWO wells to piss in :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

How do you even spend 3K on a computer if you're building it yourself these days.

You don't need an i7.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Weeeell, the two graphics cards and the 32GB ram are what drove up the cost mostly.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Look at how many of you are trying to be helpful for Sperg like he will actually listen, it's so cute :allears:.

Hey Sperg make sure you use some of the WD40 on those hood pins, don't want to get a UTI!

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Weeeell, the two graphics cards and the 32GB ram are what drove up the cost mostly.

You only need like half of that. One graphics card and 16GB is more than enough.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Sperg, your pc build is missing something.. A 3rd 980. That'll extra learn it!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

8gb of RAM is just fine for pretty much everything. 16 is even overkill and 32 is throwing money away.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
For a gaming PC, you need like 8 gb of RAM, although 16 wouldn't hurt. The reason I end up using more than 8gb of RAM is because I do some heavy compiling in a VM on my machine.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The whole point of a desktop is you can add parts later - popping in another couple of sticks of RAM down the track is trivial.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

PCs have gotten so obscenely powerful relative to the demands of games that anything above 'mid range' is a completely pointless for gaming. Games are made to run on consoles barely more powerful than a mediocre laptop so just about any desktop will be more than powerful enough for gaming. Like others have said, a basic i5 with 8GB of RAM, SSD, and whatever mid range video card is all the rage these days will keep everything running well for at least three years. If you're feeling saucy then get the 'K' edition i5 and a decent cooler and OC it up to 4.2-4.5GHz (probably higher but that might require a bit of effort) and maybe 16GB of RAM. If anything starts slowing down after a few years then upgrade video card.

Up until 6 months ago I had been running mostly the same PC since 2009. Biggest changes I made in that time was a SSD and mid range video card in 2012 or 2013. I never had a problem running games with that setup. I've now got a modern processor but I'm still using that video card and games usually default to ultra high settings and run fine at 1920x1200.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Some of the latest generation games are actually recommending processors with 8 threads (so i7 in the Intel world) and ridiculous graphics cards.

Of course this is more down to lovely optimisation than any actual need for that amount of power, but the fact is my i5 4570 and GTX 660 aren't nearly as comfortable for 1920x1200 as they used to be

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

leica posted:

If you guys keep giving him computer advice we'll have TWO wells to piss in :allears:

I'm already pissing, what are you talking about.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

It depends on your monitor too- its a LOT more work for a PC to push 2550x1440 on a 27" screen than it is to push 1920x1280 on a 22" screen. I've got a 2600K i7 and a 770GTX with 16GB of ram and it does NOT like pushing 2550x1440 in Battlefield 4 at ultra graphics

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Isn't any reason you can't just run at 1080p on a larger/higher resolution monitor - in my experience while it would look horrible of text content it is barely noticeable in most games

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 219 days!)

Ferremit posted:

It depends on your monitor too- its a LOT more work for a PC to push 2550x1440 on a 27" screen than it is to push 1920x1280 on a 22" screen. I've got a 2600K i7 and a 770GTX with 16GB of ram and it does NOT like pushing 2550x1440 in Battlefield 4 at ultra graphics

Now if it was only 1920x1280@27"...

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

PaintVagrant posted:

I like to think that Sperglord is a really advanced forum bot, brilliantly designed to get you guys riled up with every post. Its like someone did years of research about what would piss off AI and created its perfect nemesis.

Im so glad that Im not the only one thinking this.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Hell, I've got an i5 3570K, 8GB of RAM, and a 2.5GB GDDR5 GTX 570 HD, and it handles drat near everything I throw at it. It slows down at 1080p with VSync on with some newer games, but it handles drat near everything on Ultra if it's even decently optimized. No issues on Borderlands 2 or Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, for example. And man, DiRT 3 just looks gorgeous on everything Ultra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSXNOOW_CbQ

So yeah, midrange is still pretty awesome. I think I paid $1,200 for this setup.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
if you overclock those video cards and they burn some valves because you didn't tune it, don't come crying here. Just throw another alternator belt in the case and use it to packet the fbi while filesharing

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

kastein posted:

if you overclock those video cards and they burn some valves because you didn't tune it, don't come crying here. Just throw another alternator belt in the case and use it to packet the fbi while filesharing

I don't overclock any of my setup because I heard that makes the trans wear out faster and then you could grenade your rear end from all of the gigahertz.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Can you add nitros to these "video cards" to make the frame rates better? What about forced induction?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Noticed an annoying bug with the ROM I'm using. Not sure if it's Android 5.x itself, or just the alpha of SlimLP, but if I charge it overnight on the wireless charger, once it finishes charging, it stops taking power from the wireless charger (this was an issue with the Nexus 4, but the Nexus 5 had it working fine). Android 4.4 would keep the battery topped off the entire time it was on the charger; I wake up to the charger's light showing that it's still charging, but the battery stats show it finished charging hours ago and started draining afterwards. Usually wake up to it around 85%.

The wireless charger doesn't charge as fast as actually plugging it in via USB, but it's drat convenient to just drop my phone on a little pad on the desk when I go to bed, and grab it when I wake up.

meatpimp posted:

Speaking of cheap -- if anyone is looking for a set of cheap Rhino Ramps, Advance has Rhino Gear RhinoRamp MAX right now for $55 with a $20 promo code: TRT25 , taking them to $35. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/rhino-gear-rhinoramp-max-11912/10157442-P?searchTerm=rhinoramp+max

Damned cheap if you need some ramps.

Damnit, the only store with them in-stock is an hour away.. and shipping is $17.

Autozone had some Rhino Gear ramps on sale for $39.99 recently. Not sure if they're the same ones.

Sperglord Firecock posted:

RAM is expensive these days; I'm still kicking myself for not going up to 16GB when I built this system. But even the 8GB I have now is overkill for most stuff; it's not until I have Photoshop, Lightroom, Windows Media Center, and 20 tabs open when I start notice it slowing down.

My GTX 650 Ti SSC handles about anything I throw at it just fine; but my power supply says "gently caress this" and shuts off after a few minutes if I fire up Crysis in high detail. :sigh: I don't game much though (and when I do, it's either BF4 or the various versions of CounterStrike), so a beefier power supply is pretty low on my list.

Galler posted:

If you're feeling saucy then get the 'K' edition i5 and a decent cooler and OC it up to 4.2-4.5GHz (probably higher but that might require a bit of effort).

I have an i5-2500k (3.3 GHz stock). I had it at 4.4 GHz for over 2 years, until I swapped the BIOS out for UEFI. It won't even boot above 4.2 since then. With the old BIOS, I could even do 4.6 GHz if I bumped the voltage up a bit, but stability suffered.

UEFI boots so much quicker though. Cold power on to desktop is 15 seconds - and 5 seconds of that is the motherboard initializing and detecting all the drives as far as I can tell (the Gigabyte logo shows up briefly after 5 seconds, then the Win8 logo, then the desktop). I have 5 SATA devices, I assume if it was just 1 or 2 it may be a little quicker. And I honestly don't notice the difference in losing 200 MHz unless I'm converting videos into different formats (and the difference is really not that big).

Ferremit posted:

It's not the screen size that matters, it's the resolution. The video card couldn't give two shits about the physical size of the monitors. But yeah, 2550x1440 is a lot of work even for the newest cards.

T1g4h posted:

Hell, I've got an i5 3570K, 8GB of RAM, and a 2.5GB GDDR5 GTX 570 HD

I considered upgrading to the 3570k; my motherboard can handle it, but from everything I read, it's not a huge upgrade over the 2500k (and doesn't overclock as well).

If I get a decent tax refund this year (I don't think I will, I made quite a bit more than I thought I would, so I'll probably wind up having to repay part of my insurance subsidy), I may go ahead and upgrade to the latest Intel i5. It'd just require a new CPU and motherboard (mine can handle an Ivy Bridge CPU, but not Haswell). Mom's PC is a homebuilt i3 Sandy Bridge, so she'll get a free i5 upgrade when I finally upgrade.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 11, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

i've been running my i5 2500k at 4.8ghz for a couple years now. There's a hard wall though. no amount of voltage lets it run over 4.8ghz.

I also game at 2560x1440, sometimes while watching 1080p video on the second screen. 290x gets hot and loud, but seems to power through it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Powershift posted:

i've been running my i5 2500k at 4.8ghz for a couple years now. There's a hard wall though. no amount of voltage lets it run over 4.8ghz.

I also game at 2560x1440, sometimes while watching 1080p video on the second screen. 290x gets hot and loud, but seems to power through it.

That sounds insane. I have the same chip, I only upped it to 3.8 because I have stock or close to stock cooling. What do you use?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

coolermaster closed loop cooler. idles at ~30*C, full load never tops 70*C. I'm only at 1.32vcore, the max i think is 1.52, but absolutely no amount of voltage gives me more than 4.8. There are some guys that run over 5ghz.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've never been able to top 4.5 GHz on this chip (same one, i5-2500k) while being stable, but I'm running air cooling (Cooler Master Hyper 212+). But it doesn't seem to be a heat issue, it won't even try to boot above 4.6. And the UEFI that replaced the BIOS caps it around 4.2 GHz (it won't boot reliably at 4.3 with the UEFI). It's either just a chip from a batch that doesn't handle higher speeds, or the motherboard doesn't like it. Even under light load, it's not stable at 4.6, with some BSODs. 4.5 on the original bios? No problem all day every day. 4.6? Good luck even getting into the BIOS.

I've only tried bumping the voltage slightly; Gigabyte boards are already aggressive with cranking up the voltage on their own anyway, and supposedly don't have the best voltage regulation. I'm at stock voltage and 4.2; I was stock voltage @ 4.4 until switching to UEFI from the traditional BIOS. I do notice a decent difference if I drop it down to stock speeds, but the difference between 4.2 and 4.4 isn't noticeable to me.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 11, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I still have a gateway gaming laptop from 2009 that i run in my bedroom. 2ghz Q9000 quad core, 260m GTX. it's been run in 43*c in australia, -15*c in canada, travelled 80,000kms+ in the back if a truck bouncing up and down oilfield roads, and basically hasn't been shut off since 2012, and is somehow still kicking.

the screen was floppy and the body was flimsy when i bought it, but it was a cheap gaming laptop. nearly 6 years later, it's still running strong, and still capable of playing new games, it's really quite amazing.

made me curious so i went and checked, the hard drive i replaced in 2010 with a 7200rpm drive has a power on hours count is at 16,793, or 699 days.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 11, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
If we're doing e-peen stuff now, I've also got a 2500k; it'll do 4.5 on stock volts, and 5GHz with a substantial voltage bump. It'll POST fine at 5GHz and stock voltage, but it needs the bump to stay prime stable. I just leave it at 3.6 because who cares, I'm never waiting on the CPU anyway. Cooling is a Thermalright HR-01 4U. Heatsink is passive, but case has a beefy intake and exhaust fan pretty much right in front of and behind it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

This case has room for 5 case fans - all 120mm. Two I assume would be intake (1 bottom, 1 front), 3 for exhaust (2 top, 1 back). Plus the PSU mounts at the bottom, with its own fan opening.

I had two top exhaust fans for awhile, but one of them got noisy as hell. Down to just the front intake fan (which also cools the drives) and 1 top exhaust fan. Air coming out is within 1-2 degrees of room temp, and the HDDs make more noise than the fans (including the 120mm CPU fan).

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

My current case has a high flow 120mm rear fan for exhaust, 200mm side panel intake, 2 120mm intakes on the front, and a 120mm intake up top. It stays decently cool, and the high flow 120mm keeps the air moving relatively quickly.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Shut up nerds.

The last time i built a pc was 15 years ago, i don't remember any of the specs. It'd be nice to have a better speed machine to play KSP but then I'd spend too long on that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cakefool posted:

Shut up nerds.

The last time i built a pc was 15 years ago, i don't remember any of the specs. It'd be nice to have a better speed machine to play KSP but then I'd spend too long on that.

Wait, are people doing something other than overclocking Athlon XP 2500(-M)s? Those sure were the poo poo.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Cage posted:

Is that a "this game is mostly loading screens" joke? Guess you can't put a SSD in a ps4 or xbone huh? :smug: :smug: :smugdog:

Actually maybe you can, but on PC having a SSD cut loading times in IV by more than half for me.

360 actually, and it's sitting beside its replacement, a :pcgaming:Gaming HTPC:pcgaming:. Either way I couldn't resist the joke.
e: and yeah I'm not posting specs. The processor was free and I put it in a box with $500 worth of whatever components were on sale when I built it and I haven't been able to make it sweat with any game I've played on it.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 11, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Powershift posted:

I still have a gateway gaming laptop from 2009 that i run in my bedroom. 2ghz Q9000 quad core, 260m GTX. it's been run in 43*c in australia, -15*c in canada, travelled 80,000kms+ in the back if a truck bouncing up and down oilfield roads, and basically hasn't been shut off since 2012, and is somehow still kicking.

the screen was floppy and the body was flimsy when i bought it, but it was a cheap gaming laptop. nearly 6 years later, it's still running strong, and still capable of playing new games, it's really quite amazing.

You must have a lot of tolerance for stutter and poor performance.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Popcorn time is the nail in the coffin for my xblive subscription, and probably Hulu as well.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Cakefool posted:

Shut up nerds.

I literally dont care what specs my PC at work is anymore, even three years after build it's just a monster and still blazes no matter how many VM's I'm running. TBH the work laptop is more impressive as it is just insane for something portable. Also once I started to run SSD's speed basically became worthless to think about. The work PC is now using Samsung 850 Evos and that's been simply the end of any performance "complaints".

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dissss posted:

You must have a lot of tolerance for stutter and poor performance.

It's not gonna run poo poo on ultra, but it's still on par with a modern 840m or mobile R7. It will hold 30fps in tomb raider, far cry 3 or batman arkham origins on medium settings.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

nm posted:

Wait, are people doing something other than overclocking Athlon XP 2500(-M)s? Those sure were the poo poo.

Yeah, some of us have 1800+ Thoroughbreds. Those mobile Bartons sure were the hot setup though. I've heard tell of 200 FSB! I've still got a couple NF7-S boards around, just in case.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

How many after dinner beers is acceptable?

Late reply, but the answer is: All of them.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

Noticed an annoying bug with the ROM I'm using. Not sure if it's Android 5.x itself, or just the alpha of SlimLP, but if I charge it overnight on the wireless charger, once it finishes charging, it stops taking power from the wireless charger (this was an issue with the Nexus 4, but the Nexus 5 had it working fine). Android 4.4 would keep the battery topped off the entire time it was on the charger; I wake up to the charger's light showing that it's still charging, but the battery stats show it finished charging hours ago and started draining afterwards. Usually wake up to it around 85%.

The wireless charger doesn't charge as fast as actually plugging it in via USB, but it's drat convenient to just drop my phone on a little pad on the desk when I go to bed, and grab it when I wake up.

Probably your ROM. Are you using the stock kernel that comes with SlimLP or another custom kernel?

Am I the only one here that has a AMD processor? I'm still rocking a 1090T hexcore because for whatever reason I haven't been able to justify a new rig and pull the trigger. Will probably do that after the Broadwell update.

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
I must be doing this boss thing wrong....

dident have the stomach to make one of my guys clean the blood out of a bus that was involved in a crash (wrote of a mercedes citaro tho, WIN), no serious injuries or fatalities, but a lot of cuts and bruises. The guys that cleans buses for us claims that cleaning it was a mechanics job, because they some bent plates needs to be removed to get it properly clean. So i bit the bullet and had at it. Mostly used our steam cleaner, except on the dash where i had to go in manually. Atleast we get a cheap set of spare parts.

• Locked thread