Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Well, its been a nice week. Not sure if the bonus stream if gonna be worth watching, or I'll even be awake for it, but this was a great marathon to watch. Best one by far.

But everyone said on page 5 or something that this was the worst *GDQ by far :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm not sure how much money from each sub actually goes to the channel but $8,045 from Twitch for their subs is pretty impressive

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Inepta Lacerta posted:

I'd also shake my head in slight disbelief if I was part of raising that much money.

Not trying to put a damper on the achievement, just think the dude is funny to watch!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm not sure how much money from each sub actually goes to the channel but $8,045 from Twitch for their subs is pretty impressive
If I recall correctly, twitch does not takes it's cut from these, and they go directly to charity.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:siren: Watch the loving Ninja Gaiden Relay and Tetris Grand Masters. Do it! :siren:

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Schurik posted:

Not trying to put a damper on the achievement, just think the dude is funny to watch!

No worries, that's how I read what you said -- and I agree!

Edit: Oxwas in the maid outfit. Makes me chuckle every time.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

victrix posted:

:siren: Watch the loving Ninja Gaiden Relay and Tetris Grand Masters. Do it! :siren:

The Ninja Gaiden race was **esports** as hell and incredibly fun to watch, listen to this post.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So yeah, that was a hell of a week. Time to get some sleep I think, there hasn't been much of that. I expect a list of all the best stuff in the OP/second post by tomorrow :getin:

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
When does the bonus stream start?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Aaaand we're done.

So that recommendations list in second post never actually happened yet but I'll try to actually make it happen Soon™.

Post your recommendations, your lists, your pastebins, 'cause I need to know what multiple people agree on are the must-watches, especially from the parts where I couldn't watch myself.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Don't forget the $612 from people who somehow figured out how to donate to SGDQ 2014 and AGDQ 2014.

its not that hard, all the events they've tracked are still up and fully activated to take money

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Inepta Lacerta posted:

No worries, that's how I read what you said -- and I agree!

Edit: Oxwas in the maid outfit. Makes me chuckle every time.

I went from chuckling to :stare: when that dude just straight-up started rubbing his face on Oxwas.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I like how nervous that guy got with the sudden 30,000 people who appeared on his stream.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

F-Zero X was another great playthrough from this year. I guess I'm just a sucker for F-Zero but the couch interaction was good and the run itself was incredible.

Gaybee
Jul 16, 2002
Romscout is awesome, but it felt weird that Mike did not close the week :(

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Geight posted:

I went from chuckling to :stare: when that dude just straight-up started rubbing his face on Oxwas.

I *really* hope they knew each other.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

KennyMan666 posted:

Aaaand we're done.

So that recommendations list in second post never actually happened yet but I'll try to actually make it happen Soon™.

Post your recommendations, your lists, your pastebins, 'cause I need to know what multiple people agree on are the must-watches, especially from the parts where I couldn't watch myself.

http://pastebin.com/nPxaxi1u here's all my recommendations

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Also, if we are leaving feedback here, i think it would be an improvement to end the game blocks. Megaman and F-zero are cool and all, but it gets pretty tiresome after 6 hours or so. Is there any reason they can't be split up through the week? It makes for a better viewer experience when you get a variety of stuff rather than 6 games in the same series one after another.

Also, go back to the room setup you had in previous years where you could see the audience. This year it felt very flat with every run having like 12 people in the shot, as opposed to previous years where you'd see the room fill up for the hype runs.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
gently caress, I slept over the Metroid race. Was it good?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Kikas posted:

I didn't watch it but one of the runners died in the middle so it basically ended prematurely.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

Aaaand we're done.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, first TASbot block, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, inFamous: Festival of Blood, Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Dark Forces II, Quake II, Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, I wanna be the Boshy, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Rogue Legacy, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Risk of Rain, Tetris: The Grandmaster exhibition, Shovel Knight, Ninja Gaiden relay race, Half-Life: Opposing Force, Half-Life 2 Episode 2, Portal block, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Vanquish, Metal Gear Rising, Halo 2, Dark Souls 2.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kanfy posted:

I didn't watch it but one of the runners died in the middle so it basically ended prematurely.

It wasn't even the middle

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Kikas posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92uRLwrQG8E

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

It wasn't even the middle

Well, in the middle of the race I mean.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I am loving exhausted and bursting with goodwill towards my fellow man. AGDQ owns

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Wait what is this Lufia 2 thing going on?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

If not for AGDQ, I wouldn't have known people still acknowledge Blasto.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

Kikas posted:

It was supposed to be a race between two guys, but one of them (epicly_epic) actually managed to DIE pretty early on. Since there's no save game, he just stopped playing and sat there with a thousand-yard stare for the entire run.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
Best run overall for me was KH2FM, but only if you're familiar with the game, otherwise you probably won't pick up on how amazing those runners were. Great commentary as well.

Jedi Knight was an all around good run and the first one that I really enjoyed.

Ninja Gaiden race was exciting throughout.

Yoshi's Island was good for showing off another category and the commentary, the race itself wasn't that exciting.

Was looking forward to the MM5 race, but ohon just owned everyone without problem, making for a pretty boring race.

Binding of Isaac was a trainwreck and makes me all the more glad Minecraft didn't make it in.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Cardboard Box A posted:

Wait what is this Lufia 2 thing going on?

On Twitch you can host a different stream on your channel, the AGDQ stream is currently hosting that guy presumably while waiting for the bonus stuff.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dunban posted:

When does the bonus stream start?

Yeah, I didn't catch everything they said at the end. Did they say the bonus stream would be on a different channel?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KennyMan666 posted:

Aaaand we're done.

My watching was kind of sporadic but of the things I saw: Banjo Kazooie, Uncharted, Rogue Legacy, Umihara Kawase, Tetris, Shovel Knight, Ninja Gaiden Relay Race, Mario RPG, Blindfolded OoT.

Mario RPG was probably my favorite but I am a big fan of that game so I am probably biased. I thought the commentary and gameplay were both stellar, though.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jan 11, 2015

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

KennyMan666 posted:

Aaaand we're done.

Going from earliest to last:

Tasbot because Tasbot
Uncharted because pretty cool glitches
Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Dark Forces II very fast run
Battleblock Theater for the incredibly funny interaction with the devs
I wanna be the Boshy very good run of a bullshit difficult precise platformer and great commentary from the runner
All the games in the arcade block
Tetris: The Grandmaster exhibition you have to watch this
Shovel Knight nice run of a unique game with dev commentary
The awful games block but especially Town with no name
Ninja Gaiden relay race incredible race
punch out wii very skillful run
Castlevania Sotn race also a great race
Half life 2 ep 2 nice use of the source engines quirks runner and couch have great chemistry
Setup portal 2 players one controller enough said
Trials evolution good run of a very hard game
Vanquish soda% into handholding%
Dark souls 2 any% glitch less again very good run of a hard game
Dark souls 2 glitched so you know why they run glitch less
Pokemon green because what
Tasbot 2

EDIT: all in all a great *gdq I think this was the best ratio of solid and great to bad and stinking runs ever

FailAtMagic fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 11, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

This guy seems pretty chill, there are probably a ton of cool speedrunners that never get a lot of viewers.

E: Or maybe he's a huge celebrity, I don't know speedrunners :v:

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
I recommend Grand Theft Auto: Vice City with AdamAK. His commentary is excellent and the glitches are fun to watch.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Nthing the praise for AdamAK's Vice City any% run. There was a major skip discovered some months ago that shaved a great deal of time off the run, so the run is wildly different from the any% run he did in SGDQ 2013. His runs are also very well commentated, and he's pretty good at the game.

His Tekwar run from this year was kinda boring, though I'd say that's the game's fault, not his :v:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I think this was the best GDQ so far, to me anyway. The highs were really high and the lows were never as terrible as they have been in the past.

Edit: Though I should mention, I did not watch the metroid or mega man races so ymmv.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lack of terrible lows, unfortunately, did not contribute to it being even better GDQ.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Good event and good result. Hopefully some of the issues that plagued this time are fixed for next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Kanfy posted:

This guy seems pretty chill, there are probably a ton of cool speedrunners that never get a lot of viewers.

E: Or maybe he's a huge celebrity, I don't know speedrunners :v:
This guy is cool, I just wish it wasn't another loving 100% Zelda run :suicide:

• Locked thread