Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Heard Pie Face described as being better at selling franchises than actual pies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

CrazyTolradi posted:

iridology (again, wtf?)

Iridology is the belief that studying the patterns and colours of the iris can help you diagnose and treat illness.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

MC Eating Disorder posted:

Hey cool I didn't know seth sentry was a gooN I LIKE YOUR RAPPING SETH ITS COOL

drat, I took too long to check this thread, I was going to ask him about the chewy bacon..

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

Nah, Krispy Kreme was huge in Victoria for a few years. I wouldn't describe it as crashing and burning because that implies it never got off the ground. It seems to have just suddenly nosedived into the ground, strangely enough, despite being the thing to eat for about 2007-2010.

There's a genuine black market in Krispy Kreme doughnuts in Tassie. People fly to Sydney, buy as many as they can carry on the plane, bring them back and sell them off. hosed up but true.

(Finally an Auspol topic I feel qualified to comment on, noice)

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Iridology is the belief that studying the patterns and colours of the iris can help you diagnose and treat illness.

If they're white to creamy white, you may have cataracts.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Anidav posted:

Yeah, what the gently caress at Kreme opening new stores, they were utterly destroyed everywhere else...except Perth?

For as long as I can remember people have brought Krispy Cremes back from over East, it's always been 'oooh, you're going to Sydney, bring us back a box?'. I hate donuts so I never understood the craze.

I do know we've had a number of donut making chains in Perth for just as long, so the market was probably pretty saturated.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
To be fair there's not much to do in WA after your shift at the mine is over. So Krispy Kreme arriving would be pretty exciting.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

TG-Chrono posted:

No mention of Schnitz, the one true chicken chain, or Lord of the Fries, the drunken snack food par excellence. 0/10 Auspol.

Schnitz good. Lord of the Fries bad.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Jumpingmanjim posted:

To be fair there's not much to do in WA after your shift at the mine is over. So Krispy Kreme arriving would be pretty exciting.

Krispy Kremes go well with meth and Swan Lager after a hard day in the iron ore mine.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I've tried Krispy Kreme donuts, they're ok but nothing great. Vilis blows them away, and their 24 hour cafe is only a 10 minute drive away from the Krispy Kreme.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

TheIllestVillain posted:

can't wait to get my cert IV in flower essence therapy

I don't see underwater basket-weaving on that list :arghfist:

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Heard Pie Face described as being better at selling franchises than actual pies.

Franchises can be notoriously dodgy. Even at ones where they have a decent head corp, say Dominos, you're still essentially paying to be a manager.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Jumpingmanjim posted:

The ~kilometre walk from Town Hall to Gede's includes three pie faces.

They're all closed.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Seagull posted:

The ~kilometre walk from Town Hall to Gede's includes three pie faces.

They're all closed.

Yeah the way pie face expanded was just insane:

quote:

At its peak, Pie Face and its partners operated more about 80 stores in Australia, the US and New Zealand. However, industry sources said the company tried to grow too fast.

“He (Wayne) really went far and wide for a small company; he tried to do everything,” one source said.

Mr Wynn, the US partner, closed six of his seven stores in New York last month and is now pursuing a wholesale and direct retail model.

In Australia, Pie Face now has 72 stores, about one third of which are company owned.

Earlier this year one of Pie Face’s franchises sued the company for $800,000, alleging misleading and deceptive conduct, but the case was settled without going to court, after mediation, for a smaller amount.

In October last year the company announced a major deal to open at least 100 stores in the Middle East through an agreement with Dubai-based hospitality group Landmark.

Mr Homschek said Pie Face’s Australian problems would have no impact on its international operations.

The first two Middle East stores are due to open this week in Abu Dhabi and Dubai and another two will open by the end of the year. Another two stores are due to open in Singapore, taking Pie Face’s presence to four, and the first stores are due to open in Japan, Korea and the Philippines early next year.
http://www.afr.com/p/business/companies/high_profile_investors_franchisees_J3QVqIcwfjj0dyWO5LtcVN

quote:

Pie Face’s collapse has been blamed on rents of up to 25 per cent of sale, higher-than-expected cost of goods and franchiser’s royalties of between 7 per cent and 8 per cent. Others say Pie Face was more focused on selling franchises and international licences than selling food, and today’s company-owned stores are simply those that franchisees were unable to make profitable.

One market watcher said Pie Face was “paying aggressive rents for anything they could get their hands on. In some cases they were 30 to 40 per cent higher than any other retailer.”

Established Pie Face traders also suffered from the swift saturation of CBD sites in Australia’s two largest cities. At its peak, Melbourne’s CBD had at least 17 outlets and most of NSW’s 39 stores were clustered in central Sydney.

http://www.afr.com/p/business/companies/recipe_for_disaster_how_pie_face_orPOskLN8g6lcz3q7viZSO

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Lord of the Fries used to be way better than they are now, they are poo poo.

Schnitz is p. good though.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't eaten KFC since http://m.smh.com.au/nsw/kfc-takes-disabled-girl-back-to-court-20120919-265iy.html

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Robodog posted:

Lord of the Fries used to be way better than they are now, they are poo poo.

Are the cones still $4.20?

capn
Nov 30, 2004

Arrr, It's touchin' me balls

Quantum Mechanic posted:

My Phrenologist referred me to a perfectly cromulent Iridologist to treat my Magnetic Deficiency

Foodtalk: Krispy Kreme really did do the hype well, I had a friend drive to Penrith from the Northern Beaches when they first opened, they went from that to not even selling much in the local 7-11.

astupiddvdcase
Nov 30, 2014
I dont know what they do but oporto chicken is always juicy and tender.
And lotf is garbage, their burgers are so bad, thr bread taste like its from coles

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

KKs is good but nothing at all can even come close to a Passionfruit icing donut.

I made a pact with my girlfriend that we would eat no more maccas - 14 days strong. their Iced Coffee Frappes are still fair game tho because ruling those out is just insanity.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Milky Moor posted:

Lord of the Fries bad.

Yep. There's only one up here in Sydney and it's awful.

Pie Face are terrible pies too - nothing like walking past a closed store during the night and seeing the same pies they're going to sell tomorrow still in the window :laugh:

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Never been to LoTF or Pie Face.

Every year I try (and succeed) to banish another junk food chain from the list after a crappy childhood of eating.

Maccas is the last chain I need to kick. I just can't replicate a big mac at home yet.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgCAEwNEJrE

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

What a Nice Guy! Doing all those nice things! Ashgrove sure is lucky to have him!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

What a Nice Guy! Doing all those nice things! Ashgrove sure is lucky to have him!

Isn't a lot of this stuff porkbarelling/labor Liberal waste though?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
GUUDDAAAAYYYY!!!!!!

Wow, I have not really heard him talk before.

Amazing how QLD could subject the ALP to such a thrashing that they could have cabinet meetings in an SUV to even a slim chance a few years later.

Either a) the LNP are that bad or b) the QLD sense of self-entitlement is a force of nature stronger then the tides.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I honestly was shocked that he didnt sound like the dopy arsehole that friendlyjordies makes him sound like.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I imagine he tore the heads off a few babies after making that.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

dordreff posted:

There's a genuine black market in Krispy Kreme doughnuts in Tassie. People fly to Sydney, buy as many as they can carry on the plane, bring them back and sell them off. hosed up but true.

(Finally an Auspol topic I feel qualified to comment on, noice)
OMG - I went to Tasmania a couple of months ago and people everywhere were carrying bags of the things. Mystery solved!

I had a KK once and was very underwhelmed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Graic Gabtar posted:

Amazing how QLD could subject the ALP to such a thrashing that they could have cabinet meetings in an SUV to even a slim chance a few years later.
The electoral system had a big part in that though: Labor got 27% of the vote, but only 8% of the seats in parliament.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

welp, I won't be eating it again now either, for several reasons.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Adnar posted:

I was back in Sydney for 2 weeks over Christmas and ate pretty much every day at Cafe Shenkin, if you don't prefer their menu to greasy sausages and baked beans you're doing life wrong.

Shenkin is next level poo poo

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
If the LNP wins the state election and Campbell Newman wins Ashgrove again, I just don't know anymore. Some people were telling me some serious LNP ad money is being pumped into Ashgrove so I expect something to go down.

We need more polls though because goddamn, this short election campaign means the momentum is potentially in the dark. MORE POLLS :argh:

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

astupiddvdcase posted:

And lotf is garbage, their burgers are so bad, thr bread taste like its from coles

Their burgers are bad because they are all vegetarian.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Graic Gabtar posted:

Either a) the LNP are that bad or b) the QLD sense of self-entitlement is a force of nature stronger then the tides.

I'll spell it out for you, the LNP are loving horrible and are the worst in QLD of any state.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Guzman y Gomez is the only correct decision for fast-food in Brisbane

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

Graic Gabtar posted:

Maccas is the last chain I need to kick. I just can't replicate a big mac at home yet.

I stopped eating McDonalds and KFC a while ago, at least 5 years ago but probably more. My feeling is that if you value good food, eating the most cheaply sourced, mass produced food assembled by 16 year olds becomes pretty disheartening.

I'm fortunate to be close to the city where there are lots of quality alternatives though, I feel bad going out west of Sydney where the major fast food chains are literally the only options in some places.

Beyond Satire
Oct 18, 2014
From a few pages back now but I did not know that Gloria Jeans had been sold. Given their lovely treatment of franchisees they can stay on the 'don't go there' list though.

Also on donut chat: best I've ever had were from the Donut Van in Berry on the New South Wales south coast. Made to order, hot, sugary cinnamon goodness.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
In Brisbane there is a dude which makes the best donuts, which also happens to be gluten free for coeliacs. It's the best cinnamon donut anywhere, and you wouldn't pick that it has no wheat unless you were told.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Leo Showers posted:

Guzman y Gomez is the only correct decision for fast-food in Brisbane

By the time you get to the end of their burrito, it's already cold. 6/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Pred1ct posted:

I stopped eating McDonalds and KFC a while ago, at least 5 years ago but probably more. My feeling is that if you value good food, eating the most cheaply sourced, mass produced food assembled by 16 year olds becomes pretty disheartening.

I'm fortunate to be close to the city where there are lots of quality alternatives though, I feel bad going out west of Sydney where the major fast food chains are literally the only options in some places.

gently caress you, western Sydney had sick food

E - you said west of Sydney,sorry ! But it is worth noting you can eat cheap, good food in western Sydney.

I was at burger urge in south bank the other day (visiting my fam) and they are charging 19 dollars for a burger combo and on the front counter there is a sign saying 'junior staff wanted". gently caress those guys (the burger was solid but the chips were soggy and had the rosemary/thyme seasoning that every gently caress head is doing now)

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 11, 2015

• Locked thread