Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I think the best thing about having to sleep and do other things throughout the week is that even though the event is over there are still lots of runs I haven't watched, some of which were apparently good ones.

Congratulations again to all participants, you were a part of something really special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Good event and good result. Hopefully some of the issues that plagued this time are fixed for next time.

No they won't be fixed until they hire a professional company to organize this, which the won't unless they start making like 10 mills per *gdq

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

-Inu- posted:

This guy is cool, I just wish it wasn't another loving 100% Zelda run :suicide:

I meant the Lufia guy which is the hosted stream right now.

He has 3000 views on his channel and currently he has 30,000 viewers live. :v:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
My feedback: there were way too many races and most of them just did not have decent commentary during them. Goldeneye was good, stuff like the Super Metroid 4-way race last time was fantastic, but a lot of the times even great runs and GDQ mainstays just weren't entertaining to see. I also feel like there was an effort to try to wring out new categories for games that have been at GDQs a lot leading to a lot of the lesser entertaining categories being there and dragging on quite a bit. In addition, hearing the Kingdom Heart runners talk about how they struggled hard to get the game in a marathon for 3+ years was surprising (especially since the run was fantastic) and following it up with an amazing run of Vanquish that almost didn't make it (as it filled the spot Minecraft was dropped from) led me to feel that experimenting a lot more on what gets into the marathon might be a good idea. None of the marathon highlights were games that were really familiar to the marathon!

I'm not against large blocks of games, but I feel like the blocks themselves should be varied. A large block of F-Zero games where it's all fairly same-looking isn't that entertaining, but a "Ninja" block where all the games where thematically linked but different gameplay-wise was much better (and the awful block was a highlight as always).

There should be at least one more competent tech person there so UA can actually sleep at some point or at least a dedicated person or two who can be super focused on monitoring the streams. It was fairly few and far between, but stuff like the Transistor run being muted for the first 10 minutes should just not have happened. Also there really shouldn't be PC setups with Win8 next time.

Not having a crowd mic was a mistake and the marathon just didn't have the feel of being a big thing despite it being the biggest GDQ yet. Music interludes were a good (if late) addition, as was crowd cam. The gating on the mics so that you couldn't hear any crowd chatter between games was helpful for mic clarity but again just didn't make the marathon feel that big.

that's a lot of words so I'll wrap up and maybe add some in the morning but I did really like this year's marathon and it's just easier to talk about things that could be better instead of things i really liked so don't take me as being more critical as I want to be

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Also the tracker has jumped up to like $1.148mill from the $1.11mill it was at before, so they might already be figuring out the bug with donations not showing up on it.

https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/12

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Vice City, KH2 (very long though) , Tetris, Super Monkey Ball, Mario Lost levels, Mischief makers, Arkham City, Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Mario 3 wasn't bad either

For ok level- Totally rad, Sonic 2

Just of what I've seen.

I personally feel like I'd have liked to see more random games, certain stuff is speed run so much thats its just seeing it with a different kid in front of the stream, some things speed run just felt like 'but why' (animal crossing & Fire Emblem) a bit repetitive and very ok I get it, whens the next game.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 11, 2015

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh and for recommended viewing I'd say the "must watch" are
-Tetris Block obviously
-Dark Forces 2
-TAS bot block
-I Wanna Be The Boshy
-Super Mario Bros: Lost Levels
-Town With No Name
-Vanquish
And those are the runs I'd recommend, but not as much as the previous ones:
-Uncharted
-Sonic Heroes + glitch exhibition
-Battleblock Theater
-Gimmick!
-Kaizo Mario
-Morrowind
-Super Monkey Ball Deluxe
-Shovel Knight
-Half Life 2 Episode 2
-Spyro The Dragon
-Pokemon Red by Werster
-GTA Vice City

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Kanfy posted:

I meant the Lufia guy which is the hosted stream right now.

He has 3000 views on his channel and currently he has 30,000 viewers live. :v:
Oh, whoops. Didn't realize they were hosting someone. I'm still hanging around in the guy's stream that they raided (I guess he's fairly popular but he only had like 100 viewers beforehand).

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
I'm not a big fan of '100%' and 'race' being in the same run, so I hope they leave that out at the next event.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
Welp, another year, another slew of speedtun games and donations. Thanks to the great first AGDQ of the year. Looking forward to SGDQ. I watched a bunch of stuff live and it was a blast during this hectic week. Shame that some runners' consoles turned off (Looking at you, Super Metroid and DKC2) and I loved all of the races. Hoping Pikmin is played at the next GDQ next year in some capacity. Thanks all for answeing my stupid questions and for the great commentary you've all shared.

EDIT: gonna put my donation here just because:

Hey, everyone, Zorg here. Super Mario RPG is one of my favorite games and I am proud to donate to such a great cause. My mom and my granny have both luckily survived cancer and I am grateful for the research that has helped them as well as the many others afflicted by this horrible disease. Money donated goes towards the beautifully crafted Dodo plush. Finally thank you all for your hard work and may the Zorg be with you.

It was never read but hey, them's the breaks.

JesseHechtCREATIVE fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 11, 2015

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
Some of the sleeper hits for me, all tier 2:

I thought Mega Man Unlimited was a very solid run with some pretty decent commentary

Sonic Adventure 2 was also a pretty good run with a good couch

And while I get why some people didn't care for it, for people who are into Fire Emblem the Radiant Dawn run was very intriguing

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

snodig posted:

I'm not a big fan of '100%' and 'race' being in the same run, so I hope they leave that out at the next event.

yeah 100% race is a bit weird also I really hope they don't do a race of such a random game like Isaac again. I guess the metroid thing was also very unlucky but at least the guy just died and stopped playing not went over the time limit by like 20 minutes

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

KennyMan666 posted:

Aaaand we're done.

So that recommendations list in second post never actually happened yet but I'll try to actually make it happen Soon™.

Post your recommendations, your lists, your pastebins, 'cause I need to know what multiple people agree on are the must-watches, especially from the parts where I couldn't watch myself.
some recommendations, just off the top of my head:
Uncharted; SMB Lost Levels; GTA Vice City; Batman Arkham City; Dark Souls2 (both); Dark Forces 2; both Super Monkey Balls; Awful Games block; HL2-Ep2; Tomb Raider Anniversary; Trials Evolution ; Morrowind; Tetris; Portal 2player; Ninja Gaiden race; Tasbot; pokemon by werster

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Alright, short, quick summary of what went wrong with the donation tracker.

There's was a latent bug in the way that incoming Paypal notifications were processed, and one "bad" notification (not really bad but it was enough to trigger the bug) led to the creation of a donor that was in a corrupted state.

Due to details I'll go over later, that corrupted donor was enough to prevent anybody who had not donated in the past from successfully donating. I'm not 100% sure on when this happened, but judging from the Paypal notification logs it started happening on the 8th.

After sifting through some of the logs, there may be as much as :siren: $427k :siren: in donations that never got properly processed until I fixed the bug.

That said, we still have all of the notifications and can potentially "replay" them to get them properly sorted. Some of them will get replayed by Paypal itself, which is why the donation total is still rising so much even after the stream went down, as we're now getting donations from the last X hours that are being properly handled.

tl;dr: gently caress everything I'm going to bed

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Going to second a lot of posts here. My list of absolute must watch runs:

Tetris (no question, my favorite)
TASBot
I Wanna Be The Boshy
Morrowind
Goldeneye
Vice City

And then good but not mandatory:

Blood
Duke Nukem 3D
Symphony of the Night
Aperature Tag (called "Setup Portal" on the schedule for some reason)
Blindfolded OOT Child Dungeons

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
I really looked forward to it, but for me Final Fantasy 7 overall ended up the worst of both worlds. The exploit was interesting, but not worth the 3 hours it took to showcase and the run lacked the overall chillness of a "straight" 7 hour JRPG run, though I know many people don't like those.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

UraniumAnchor posted:

There's was a latent bug in the way that incoming Paypal notifications were processed, and one "bad" notification (not really bad but it was enough to trigger the bug) led to the creation of a donor that was in a corrupted state.

Due to details I'll go over later, that corrupted donor was enough to prevent anybody who had not donated in the past from successfully donating. I'm not 100% sure on when this happened, but judging from the Paypal notification logs it started happening on the 8th.

After sifting through some of the logs, yes, there may be as much as :siren: $427k :siren: in donations that never got properly processed until I fixed the bug.

That said, we still have all of the notifications and can potentially "replay" them to get them properly sorted. Some of them will get replayed by Paypal itself, which is why the donation total is still rising so much even after the stream went down, as we're now getting donations from the last X hours that are being properly handled.

Godspeed, UA, you and all the tech crew did a stunning job this year, from a production standpoint this was a top notch event. Good job.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

UraniumAnchor posted:

Rest well, techman. You done good yet again.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome

UraniumAnchor posted:

On the 8th I tried to donate right at the end of the Mega Man block, but between going to the AGDQ page and the Paypal page I guess the block ended and Paypal kinda flipped out and wouldn't let me donate

Sooooo if was me that caused it

uhhh sorry

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

UraniumAnchor posted:

After sifting through some of the logs, there may be as much as :siren: $427k :siren: in donations that never got properly processed until I fixed the bug.

At least you got it sorted, loving awesome job with everything though. poo poo was silky smooth from a viewer stand point this year without any major hitches.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Much credit to all those working on tech stuff for making the marathon really smooth and a great experience. Thanks for all the hard work

Hopefully there's some cool bonus stream things too.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Here's my pastebin. If something obvious is missing, it's probably because I didn't see it and thus didn't feel qualified to rank it in my ultra sophisticated two pile sorting: http://pastebin.com/sECAHBmn

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Best runs out of those I've seen: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, everything TASBot, I wanna be the Boshy, Super Mario Bros The Lost Levels, Mischief Makers, Town With No Name, both Punch-Outs, Yoshi's Island, Pokemon Red, A Link to the Past

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Zorglorfian posted:

Thanks to the great first AGDQ of the year.

lmao

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

1.5 million estimate.

Holy poo poo.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Studio posted:

1.5 million estimate.

Holy poo poo.

Congrats!
You guys did a great job raising money and providing a really fun stream.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Missed the last day due to real life, any highlights other than vanquish? Someone said kingdom hearts was good?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Missed the last day due to real life, any highlights other than vanquish? Someone said kingdom hearts was good?

It's good if you know the game, I think.

It was at a late slot and it was really long, but all the fights are pretty planned out down to the number of hits and combo finishers, magic casts etc. as well as the exp gain from the encounters throughout the whole run. All the runners were really good (they had 3 people switch off as time went) and the commentary team was informative without being confusing. Also Spikevegeta sang some Disney songs or something.

But if you're not about that then it'll just look like 4+ hours of button mashing like it did to most of twitch chat.

edit: Worth mentioning that it was in Critical mode and they played through the whole thing only dying once towards the very end.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

The REAL Goobusters posted:

KH2 was actually a really solid run, yeah.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I really liked the Super Mario Sunshine run. They made a fun thing out of a really bad game.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

I'd like to endorse the Commander Keen 4-6 for "good but not mandatory" category. It was short and there was neat glitch abuse and the runner had pro CK skills and solid commentary.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
This was my first AGDQ and I enjoyed it a whole lot. I wonder if I should watch some of the highlights from previous years..could be fun, but on the other hand, part of what made this marathon so fun for me was seeing basically all of the games being speedrun for the first time. If I watch a video of, say, Mario 64 being speedrun, then seeing it again at a future AGDQ might not be as entertaining.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
I would argue that some of the runs become a lot more interesting if you know what to look for. Makes you appreciate when the runner clutch a hard glitch or segment.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

snodig posted:

I would argue that some of the runs become a lot more interesting if you know what to look for. Makes you appreciate when the runner clutch a hard glitch or segment.

It's also super interesting if you think you know a run since you last saw it a year ago, then the runner breaks out some new trick or glitch that was recently discovered and bends the game in a way you weren't expecting.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Those are some good points. Guess I'm gonna watch some highlights from previous years then after catching up on games I missed this year.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
I wonder how the bonus stream is going to be held this year since I recall SGDQ's being cut short after, like a day.

Though AGDQ 2014 had nearly a week of bonus stream, right?

This was one solid marathon! They kept mentioning some other RPG focused marathons, any of you guys aware of those?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Fancy Hat! posted:

I wonder how the bonus stream is going to be held this year since I recall SGDQ's being cut short after, like a day.

This was one solid marathon! They kept mentioning some other RPG focused marathons, any of you guys aware of those?

What the hell, a week? I expected a couple of hours at most.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
Yeah it pretty much dawdled on as people left, iirc Peaches_ did a run that finished 5 mins before he had to leave for his flight. By the final day there was just a room with 3 or 4 people, 1 TV and stacks of chairs everywhere.

Fancy Hat! posted:

https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/rpg_limit_break_2015__main_thread.html is the RPG marathon they mentioned a couple of times during FF7

e: the end of the 2014 bonus: http://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/b/495320810?t=13h03m28s

Lloyd Van Buren fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jan 11, 2015

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Dunban posted:

This was my first AGDQ and I enjoyed it a whole lot. I wonder if I should watch some of the highlights from previous years..could be fun, but on the other hand, part of what made this marathon so fun for me was seeing basically all of the games being speedrun for the first time. If I watch a video of, say, Mario 64 being speedrun, then seeing it again at a future AGDQ might not be as entertaining.

Long as hell but it's peak agdq
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhoS5CjgkF4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

quote:

Baldur's Gate
Final Fantasy Tactics
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix Critical Mode by SpikeVegeta