Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kid Golbez posted:

Have boat access? The spring cobia migration and the start of the FL state waters red snapper season are things you won't want to miss. There is good surf fishing to be had as well.

I'll be at the navy base with nothing. I'm an avid fishermen so I figured to just buy what gear I need for closest fishing. Surf fishing might be my main style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Golbez
Sep 13, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

I'll be at the navy base with nothing. I'm an avid fishermen so I figured to just buy what gear I need for closest fishing. Surf fishing might be my main style.

There are some good fishing piers around as well -- Gulf Shores, Pensacola, and Navarre each have a nice one. Some of the regulars on the Gulf Shores pier run a forum with lots of good info on pier and surf fishing, including what species are around and what you need to catch them. http://www.gulfshorespierfishing.com/forum.php

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Attention ice fishing goons:

I'm about to dive off into ice fishing. I need to get a very basic rig. I'll be going after trout and maybe a perch or two if they bite. Probably nothing bigger than a couple pounds. Budget is $40ish, just to see if I want to go full retard down the road. I think we'll be jigging, but I'd like to be able to do cut bait if that's what my buddies bring on our first trip in a couple weeks.

Reel
I'd prefer a spinning reel, and I don't know what ice-specific features I should look for in one, or if there even are any.

Rod
More importantly, what should I be looking for in a rod? Super stiff? Super flexible? Stiff spine and soft tip?
A Minnesotan buddy of mine swears by cheapo Berkley rigs, even though he owns some very nice St Croix and Fenwick setups. As such, I'm looking at the Ugly Stik and Lightning Rod lines.

Line
Braid or mono? I'm figuring 8 - 10 lb should suffice.

My local outdoor and fishing store has a huge array of ice gear, so I can probably find just about anything that's relatively mass-produced.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Attention ice fishing goons:

I'm about to dive off into ice fishing. I need to get a very basic rig. I'll be going after trout and maybe a perch or two if they bite. Probably nothing bigger than a couple pounds. Budget is $40ish, just to see if I want to go full retard down the road. I think we'll be jigging, but I'd like to be able to do cut bait if that's what my buddies bring on our first trip in a couple weeks.

Reel
I'd prefer a spinning reel, and I don't know what ice-specific features I should look for in one, or if there even are any.

Rod
More importantly, what should I be looking for in a rod? Super stiff? Super flexible? Stiff spine and soft tip?
A Minnesotan buddy of mine swears by cheapo Berkley rigs, even though he owns some very nice St Croix and Fenwick setups. As such, I'm looking at the Ugly Stik and Lightning Rod lines.

Line
Braid or mono? I'm figuring 8 - 10 lb should suffice.

My local outdoor and fishing store has a huge array of ice gear, so I can probably find just about anything that's relatively mass-produced.

Where are you located and what kind of trout are you fishing for? Are you going to fish in a shelter or outside? Your setup will be drastically different for lake trout than it would be for stream trout like brown or brook. What kind of lures do you plan on using? Some rods work great for small tungsten jigs but are poor choices for larger/heavier spoons.

Here's my suggestions. I can tell you from experience, if this is something you think you have a chance of liking, I would pony up an extra $20-$30 at the beginning for solid equipment. If you end up enjoying ice fishing, which you probably will because it's the best, you will immediately buy a better rod and reel combo and this first one of yours will not get used much. Not to mention, if you have some decent gear and you end up not liking it, you'll probably be able to recoup most of your cost by selling it to your buddy or on craigslist.

Line:
If fishing for trout, you'll probably want clear mono or maybe even flouro. Flouro is usually more expensive so you could try mono, I like Sufix ice magic, $3-4.00. 8-10 is WAY to much for perch in my opinion, I think you're better off with 4lb, MAYBE 6 if you are expecting large perch or large trout, but my recommendation would be 4lb.

I'm going to wait to recommend a rod and reel until I see your response, because my recommendation will be drastically different depending what you say :).

I was able to get out on about 4" of ice last weekend and caught some nice panfish, a pink trigger x 'mustache worm' was the hot bait for me, I was catching 2 to 3 fish for every 1 fish caught around me, those guys were using live bait. I'm starting to really love using those plastics!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

North Park Colorado. The lake we're fishing is mostly stream trout, and around here that means stocker Rainbows and maybe some wild Browns and Brookies. Won't be targeting perch at all, but they'll be a slight possibility. Rainbows are the real biomass in our lake, and I think most are sub-3 to 4 lbs at most.

For our first trip in a couple weeks, I think we'll be outside. At the most, one of the guys might have a pop up shelter or two.

One of the guys suggested I get some Rat Finkee jigs in different colors, so I expect that jigs will be the main bait. I'll be borrowing a bit of terminal tackle for this trip (or trading whiskey for some), so that's not a huge priority right now. My main goal is the right rod and reel.

I'll go for some 4 lb Ice Magic line.

What about reels? I know how to pick a good spinning reel, but I don't know if there are ice-specific features I should look for.

Oh, and that's a gorgeous Bluegill. Crappie ain't bad either.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 24, 2014

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

North Park Colorado. The lake we're fishing is mostly stream trout, and around here that means stocker Rainbows and maybe some wild Browns and Brookies. Won't be targeting perch at all, but they'll be a slight possibility. Rainbows are the real biomass in our lake, and I think most are sub-3 to 4 lbs at most.

For our first trip in a couple weeks, I think we'll be outside. At the most, one of the guys might have a pop up shelter or two.

One of the guys suggested I get some Rat Finkee jigs in different colors, so I expect that jigs will be the main bait. I'll be borrowing a bit of terminal tackle for this trip (or trading whiskey for some), so that's not a huge priority right now. My main goal is the right rod and reel.

I'll go for some 4 lb Ice Magic line.

What about reels? I know how to pick a good spinning reel, but I don't know if there are ice-specific features I should look for.

Oh, and that's a gorgeous Bluegill. Crappie ain't bad either.

Thanks!

Alright, if you're fishing rainbows then maybe my previous statement was a little hasty. 4 pound is probably enough for line, but you could consider putting 6 lb on there too. I think either would work.

If you are fishing outside, then one thing to consider is the size of guides on the rod. Some rods have seriously small guides, which will freeze up much faster than a bigger guide, which is annoying. Not really a deal breaker or anything, but something to think about.

As it happens I was at my favorite sporting goods store today and I looked at some rods. Fenwick makes a really nice looking rod for about $25. I would say go with a medium or medium lite action rod for what you are doing. I would base the decision on the lures used. If you are using light jigs, then the medium-lite would be a better option.I use more or less a medium-lite rod for all my walleye fishing on Lake of the Woods in the winter, they run 1-7 pounds or so and that rod seems to handle them. Rainbows are notoriously strong fighters though, so I wouldn't hesitate to go with a medium, it might be a little more forgiving actually. And you might want that extra backbone for setting the hook into those hard-jawed fishes. Ahhh, I go back and forth between the two, just pick one and it will work!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fenw...d&WTz_l=Unknown

As for a reel, I would definitely go spinning. Most brands make a reel geared towards ice fishing, they are normally a '500' series. Shimano Sienna is a great little reel for $30, the Pfleuger Trion is also nice for $30. I can't wholeheartedly recommend anything cheaper than $30 unfortunately, the cheap reels that come as a part of a combo are normally fraught with issues. I've never had good luck with them. I'm a big fan of the Tica Cetus line of reels too.

That would put you in at about $60 when you're all said and done. BUT, this would be a combo that you could use for YEARS, seriously.

If money is really an issue though, take a look at something like:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clam...ch-All+Products

I'd go with the 28". A longer rod will be able to absorb more of the headshaking/runs that a rainbow can make. These 'combos' are good starting points, but will definitely be something you'll replace after a year or so if you get into fishing more.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Hello fishing thread!

I haven't gotten out much lately due to being out of town but I just ordered a dry suit so I can keep on yakking into the winter. I think I am going to go after pickerel in the Severn River. Apparently the fishery has been getting better and better and being a winter fish, has little pressure other than the select few weirdos who like to fish when it is 30f and windy. The preferred method around here seems to be light/ultra-light spinning rigs with small spinnerbaits or minnows on a jig. I have the spinners from bass/perch fishing but have never fished with minnows before and don't really have a place to store them. I have a couple of small silver/gray crankbaits I am putting double/single hooks on and picked up some small (1.5-3") swim-shad as well. Hopefully they will be close enough.

Anyone here ever go after them? I have been getting advice from some guys on a local forum but would always take more info.

Bonus pic of me with a tiny little bass. This is what most of the lakes around here look like, good habit for sure but each one must have a fortune of tackle snagged on those damned trees. Perch fishing around docks is so much more relaxing.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything

LingcodKilla posted:

Try cooking a big one whole then grabbing by the tail and gently shaking the meat off the bones. Or if the bones seem really small and you like crab cake after you do this throw it in a food processor grind it up and make shad cakes.

Going to have to disagree with the food processor. Use as big of chunks as you can. After all, do you really want to eat puree cakes? Or do you want fish cakes? I did exactly this with all of the bony portion of the muskie (the whole thing minus 3 filets)

Any other 'eye fisherman here? I'm in central Ohio, so my only real option is Saugeye, but drat the bite is heating up.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Ironsolid posted:

Going to have to disagree with the food processor. Use as big of chunks as you can. After all, do you really want to eat puree cakes? Or do you want fish cakes? I did exactly this with all of the bony portion of the muskie (the whole thing minus 3 filets)

Any other 'eye fisherman here? I'm in central Ohio, so my only real option is Saugeye, but drat the bite is heating up.

I'm a pretty big eye fisherman, I'm gearing up for the ice season. Our fall here in MN was very short, it went from late summer to winter pretty quick, I didn't get a chance to take advantage of the fall bite :(.

I think I'm heading up to Lake of the Woods in a week and a half though, this time of year is usually pretty awesome. Last year I went up around this time and I think we caught ~160 walleye/sauger in two days, between two people.

I saw a 28" walleye come out of that lake last winter, would love to beat that :).

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Welp, my drysuit arrived and as I feared, an XL is comically long in the arms and legs and still just barely fits my huge loving neck. I think Kokatat does custom alterations so I can get through this winter and then send it in when spring rolls around.

There are better and better reports every week about pickerel in the Severn, I am super excited to get out there this weekend.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Seasons greetings from Tampa Bay!

Yes we're still wading at night in bathing suits, winter isn't real.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What is a nice baitcaster under $150? It's for a guy that already has older ok gear but girls gonna buy her dad a nice modern low profile for Christmas. Main use will be tossing soft plastic worms in rivers and lakes for LMB. There's some structure such as tree branches, floating logs, cypress trees, floating and submerged vegetation, but he's not flipping into deep lilies or docks all day. I was thinking a 7.1 gear ratio would be cool for him--way less winding then he's used to. Also don't say Shimano Curado cause I can't find one for <$150. How important is all aluminum frame versus graphite side plates for durability?

Kid Golbez
Sep 13, 2005

tesilential posted:

How important is all aluminum frame versus graphite side plates for durability?

My opinion is not very, but generally graphite reels have cheaper internal components as well.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

tesilential posted:

What is a nice baitcaster under $150?

I am also interested in this question. I have been looking at Lews reels as they seem to be well regarded but they have such a dramatic price difference even just in that brand that I am really unsure how to compare them.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
St. Paul had the big ice fishing show this weekend, I stopped by for a few hours because I was looking for a new ice house. Turns out Fleet Farm had the Otter Cottage XT650s for $450 this week, which is $50 cheaper than the cheapest price I was quoted at the show...Everyone around here always waits for the ice show to buy houses so I was a little surprised.

Anyways, here she is, what a beaut!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I finally caught a decent sized pickerel! Went to a local forum meetup and had a blast. Learned a ton talking the old guys and one of them brought like half a bushel of oysters which we stood in the parking lot and ate.

I really need both a measuring board and a camera, trying to take pics on my phone through a drybag really sucks. Especially with cold numb fingers. Anyone have a small waterproof camera they like?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
My 6yo daughter has expressed some interest in doing some ice fishing, which I haven't done in about 25 years Couple quick questions:

Am I going to get chased off the lake with torches and pitchforks if I don't spend $300 on an auger and just bash a hole through the ice with a crowbar or a hatchet like I did when I was a kid?

Also, I really don't want to buy all new equipment. is there any issue with putting reels I already have on a couple of the cheapest jigging poles I can find? When I was a kid, we used to just tie off the correct length of line on a chunk of dowel/branch that was long enough to not fall down the hole and call it a day. Catch a fish? Start walking and have your buddy wait at the hole to help get it out.

Looking to do this on a small 80 acre lake with super easy access. I figure if she hates it after 30 minutes, we haven't wasted much. But I also figure we can set up over the deep channel and see if we can pull up a winter catfish.

This is all, of course, provided it actually freezes in NE Ohio this year.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

stealie72 posted:

My 6yo daughter has expressed some interest in doing some ice fishing, which I haven't done in about 25 years Couple quick questions:

Am I going to get chased off the lake with torches and pitchforks if I don't spend $300 on an auger and just bash a hole through the ice with a crowbar or a hatchet like I did when I was a kid?

Also, I really don't want to buy all new equipment. is there any issue with putting reels I already have on a couple of the cheapest jigging poles I can find? When I was a kid, we used to just tie off the correct length of line on a chunk of dowel/branch that was long enough to not fall down the hole and call it a day. Catch a fish? Start walking and have your buddy wait at the hole to help get it out.

Looking to do this on a small 80 acre lake with super easy access. I figure if she hates it after 30 minutes, we haven't wasted much. But I also figure we can set up over the deep channel and see if we can pull up a winter catfish.

This is all, of course, provided it actually freezes in NE Ohio this year.

Get that girl out on the lake!

No one is going to chase you off the lake or look down on you for not having a $500 power auger. I would maybe recommend finding a used hand auger on craigslist though, if you end up not going again then you can re-sell it. I see them for $20-$50 in my area all the time.

I'm not sure if you have a gander mountain by you, but they have like $10 rods that will work fine, and yes you can just throw a reel you already own on there. If there isn't a reel seat on the rod, just use some electrical tape to tape it on.

If you already have reels/line(you might want to make sure you have somewhat fresh line on there), you could be all in at about $50, which isn't too bad, especially if you plan on going more than once.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Seeforellen brown trout we pulled out yesterday. Recently stocked breeders they had to keep for longer than they'd planned. Were really hoping to get one.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I didn't fish much during the end of the season due to buying a house and sheer laziness, but I'm naturally already shopping for gear for next season. I've seen a few people fly fishing from kayaks and it's something I've wanted to start doing. Cabelas has this on sale right now. How decent of a setup is that? Seems like a pretty good deal which is why I was interested.

TurboPriest
Aug 30, 2012
Crossposting this from the PI freshwater aquarium thread since i was told it was going to be more appreciated here

So i went with the local aquarists club to collect wild specimens, it was my first time so i decided to share the experience

THE GOAL: Go to Ñancay Stream and get some good healthy already big and adult fish, any young gets return to the water where it came from, same goes for species that aren't desired or wont survive transport

The PLACE: Ñancay stream is a small curse that leads to Uruguay river, generally its around 2 feet tall and around 10 feet wide in normal conditions with a slow flow
EXPECTED FISHYS: Australoheros facetus ( 7 colored cichlid); Hemigrammus caudovittatus (tetra Buenos Aires); Hyphessobrycon eques(tetra Serpae), good old Otocinclus; Ancistrus; Corydoras; and killi fishes in the near ponds (Austrolebias alexandri A. nigripinnis and A. bellottii)

THE PLAN: gather the cars and leave Buenos Aires at around 08:00, arrive at around 12:00 and by 16:00 leave so we could be back at our homes by 19:00 and avoid heavy traffic

And now finally the trip: Everything went smoothly and as expected, before arriving at the stream some interesting fields were spotted , the problem they where behind a fence so it would be trespassing to get there! luckily a couple of peasants were nearby and they gave us permission to hop it.

You see the special thing about these ponds is that are the typical environment for killi fishes, lets hope we find some!
but wait a second...

this is a big pond, in fact, its WAY TO BIG, you see the problem is that this year rained too much, in fact it has been the rainiest year in the last 100 years! This causes to the ponds to never dry before spring raining season, which means the killi life cycle didn't kick this summer, so if any was to be found it would be allready way too old, in fact, the ponds lasted so much that species that would died in the dry stage are living here!

Goddamit Toad catfish (Rhamdia quelen) you are not supposed to be here, probably he got here in a flood,this is bad news, this guy is a killi predator so it means we wont see any here... we tried to fish for some more... but remember those two peasants? welp either they were nobodys or didn't tell the land keeper about our presence because a minute later we fished this guy some dude came with a shotgun yelling us to get out, of course we didn't argue, returned the catfish to his pond and continue our trip, if any killi fish was there, we will never know.

We did a stop for get food and drinks, used the nets on a nearby drainage to see if something was there, only a couple of Cnesterodon Decemmaculatus got caught, they're pretty much colorless guppys not interested in them, so we let them be

Back to the road and we finally arrived!...wait..remember about how this year was really rainy? well...

This is not a stream small at all!!! This changes everything! Because also being so close to the Parana river some unexpected species probably got in here, its bad because it means bigger predators to scare the fish we are after that most probably leave due to the strong current (its impossible to see in the picture but by the center of it the water moved really fast), also pretty deep, a full growth men would just sink and disappear if decided to just hop in that area; also since the water is so high, no pond was formed so there goes all expectations to find killi fishes :(, well better to cross them out the list and move on

First things first!, set up camp under the bridge, not only it will provide shadow for us, but also for any bucket with captured fishes and avoid overheat, now lets check those small water courses that are near us...

you see this almost stagnant water should not be there, again it formed either due to the heavy rains or the agriculture advance creating draining channels that made this happen, it wont hurt to give them a few net swipes and see whats pops out, a lot of ghost shrimp (Palaemonetes argenteus)
was there! and also a few leeches but we didn't noticed them until half and hour or so later when they already were filled up in our blood but wait, something in the net!!

Look at that fat oto, in no aquarium they will sale you one so fat! and not only the first corys are showing up, but also a banjo fish :yayclod: , he is too young to be taken , but still good to know they can be found here, also that crab showed up , no idea what species he is but he was cute :unsmith:
but also some not so good fishes were caught, here is a young Tararira (Hoplias malabaricus) this fish makes look any piraña attack like a mosquito bite, maybe its time for a break..

alright enough of this pussyfooting, we came to fish at the Stream and we will, so its time to deploy the big net!

(maybe went way to deep) not caught on camera 3 or 4 of those Tarariras hopping over the net, anyway, in those different swipes gave us the jackpot, lots of corys and otos for everyone, no sings of cichlids sadly, none of the desired tetras but a lot of other ones showed up along with some big guys

Here we see a Curimatorbis platanus and a big Prochilodus lineatus, they're mostly targets for fishermans in the area, but is lucky day for them as we don't want to eat them, so back to the stream they go, also picture of the tetra garbage pile, red tailed tetras, machete tetras, and maybe a couple more, they are either not fit for a tank or wont survive the transport or just plain grey and boring so they stay here.

At this point no more pictures, we all sorted what we got, put them in bags, return what nobody took and trip back to our houses, i came back with a school of a healthy fatty otos and a school of corys.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
What is a good list of gifts you'd like if you wanted to start fishing out of your kayak? My buddy does tons of fishing so lures and rods he's good, but he got a kayak a year ago he wants to do some lake/river fishing with. He has a 13 foot Hobie that is stable enough to stand and cast, and lots of in boat storage. Is there something that will make his kayak fishing life easier?

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Hey everyone. I am in colorado springs area. I have been getting back into fishing with my wife since we have been out here. Neither of us have ever gone ice fishing before, but want to try it. Here is our concerns. We get cold easily, we have never ice fished before so we are not totally sure what equipment we need or places to go. Also not sure how much we would enjoy it. I am thinking the best way to go is to get a guide who can provide all the equipment, help with setup and tear down and show us the ropes. What would something like that cost? Also can you use heaters when ice fishing? Does anyone know any guides they can recommend in the colorado springs area?

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

People don't post on here often do they?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

jadeddrifter posted:

People don't post on here often do they?

Pretty often actually. Its the holidays, so people may not have the ime or inclination to check and post, and you were asking for specific regional advice. There might not be many or any people who can give the advice you need at the moment.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

It is not even that my questions didn't get answered. I just figured there would be other posts in general.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Well, it is also winter, so most people don't fish much. I have been out in my kayak a few times but have been out of town for a few weeks. I am eager to get back at it though.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

jadeddrifter posted:

Here is our concerns. We get cold easily, we have never ice fished before so we are not totally sure what equipment we need or places to go. Also not sure how much we would enjoy it. I am thinking the best way to go is to get a guide who can provide all the equipment, help with setup and tear down and show us the ropes. What would something like that cost? Also can you use heaters when ice fishing?

There are things you can do to mitigate the cold. Hand warmers, pop-up shelters, alcohol... but at the end of the day you're sitting on a frozen lake in the middle of winter waiting for something to happen. You have to want to do that or you'll probably be miserable.

Tip-ups (fishing line attached to a flagstand that triggers when a fish hits your bait) are very cheap. Drills are a little more expensive but you can find them pretty often on craigslist. A sharp hand drill will go through thick ice in seconds once you get the motion down. Waterproof boots are a must have, along with a chair. You can fish with a jig if you want but that gets really old quick. A lot of people use a sled to drag everything out. Having a shelter is pretty sweet if you go often, primarily on windy days.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Ya, we snowboard, so we have all the jackets and pants, but because we arn't going to be moving much i am concerned that we will still get to cold.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

jadeddrifter posted:

Hey everyone. I am in colorado springs area. I have been getting back into fishing with my wife since we have been out here. Neither of us have ever gone ice fishing before, but want to try it. Here is our concerns. We get cold easily, we have never ice fished before so we are not totally sure what equipment we need or places to go. Also not sure how much we would enjoy it. I am thinking the best way to go is to get a guide who can provide all the equipment, help with setup and tear down and show us the ropes. What would something like that cost? Also can you use heaters when ice fishing? Does anyone know any guides they can recommend in the colorado springs area?

I would absolutely look for a guide or resort in your area and try that first. Ice fishing is very enjoyable if done right. You would be amazed how comfortable it can be on a frozen lake if you have the right gear. I am not familiar with Colorado Springs at all, but here in MN you are probably looking at $100-$200/person per day. As GigaFool suggested, warm waterproof boots are an absolute necessity. If you have warm winter snow pants(preferably bibs) and jacket that will work for your one day excursion.

Another option is to find an online community of fisherman from that area. In MN for instance we have idofishing.com, lakestatefishing.com and a few others. If you find a good community I bet there's a handful of people that would be willing to take you out and give you the ice fishing experience for a lot cheaper than a guide. You may not catch as many fish and it might not be as comfortable, but it might also cost you a case of beer versus $400.

You can absolutely use a heater on the ice, when I setup my portable ice house I almost always have a small propane heater going in the corner, I usually end up taking off my jacket and just fishing in a sweatshirt. That said, most of that hot air is towards the top of the house and your feet are still on the ice, so make sure you have some boots on.

GigaFool posted:

There are things you can do to mitigate the cold. Hand warmers, pop-up shelters, alcohol... but at the end of the day you're sitting on a frozen lake in the middle of winter waiting for something to happen. You have to want to do that or you'll probably be miserable.

Tip-ups (fishing line attached to a flagstand that triggers when a fish hits your bait) are very cheap. Drills are a little more expensive but you can find them pretty often on craigslist. A sharp hand drill will go through thick ice in seconds once you get the motion down. Waterproof boots are a must have, along with a chair. You can fish with a jig if you want but that gets really old quick. A lot of people use a sled to drag everything out. Having a shelter is pretty sweet if you go often, primarily on windy days.

I will strongly disagree with your take on jig fishing, if done right it's much more exciting that sitting around waiting for a flag to pop up. If you know what you are doing and have a decent flasher then jig fishing is the best! Nothing beats watching a mark shoot up 4 feet to smack your lure!

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Looks like dad and I are going to go fish the Kings River on Tuesday, as long as I'm down here visiting. The weather's been pretty pleasant, no idea how the fish have been. Here's hoping.

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

It's been a while but finally got a nice West Australian Dhufish. Absolutely beautiful eating, nice big steaks off it.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
Question for the guys who kayak fish: What do you wear? Normally while fishing from a boat I just wear a lightweight breathable shirt and shorts, but it's a lot easier to get out of the sun while on a powered boat. I'm looking for some long sleeve shirts and pants because my kayak trips will be significantly longer than a boat trip. Nothing cold weather needed as I live in the south and it doesn't often go below freezing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

JRay88 posted:

Question for the guys who kayak fish: What do you wear? Normally while fishing from a boat I just wear a lightweight breathable shirt and shorts, but it's a lot easier to get out of the sun while on a powered boat. I'm looking for some long sleeve shirts and pants because my kayak trips will be significantly longer than a boat trip. Nothing cold weather needed as I live in the south and it doesn't often go below freezing.

This last summer I just wore shorts, a collared short sleeve shirt, and a sun hat. I really need to take sun protection more seriously but it is so hard to wear much more. Most guys I know were some kind of breathable UV resistant top and a buff or baklava over their face and head.

The ticks around here were insane last summer so this year I am going to force myself to wear leggings when shore fishing or hiking but I dont think I will be able to stand wearing them while on the yak.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
Yea I'm trying to be a little more cautious in the sun this year. I guess I'll just be on the lookout for some good uv blocking shirts and pants. It's gonna suck wearing pants but most of the places I fish are thick with Mosquitos and ticks so better safe than sorry.

JRay88 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 31, 2014

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

JRay88 posted:

Question for the guys who kayak fish: What do you wear?

Board shorts, t-shirt, life jacket, sun glasses, boonie type hat thing. And spray on sunscreen. The board shorts make it a lot easier to piss into a bottle. I might pick up some UV blocking clothes this year?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

JRay88 posted:

I am normally covered from head to toe when I am out on the water to prevent any excess sun exposure on the lake, I am over protective when it comes to the sun though. I typically wear a long sleeve shirt and pants that can unzip to shorts if needed and these are the clothing with the SPF 15 or so embedded in them. I also like my floppy hat that has the neck cover to keep my head nice and cool, sunglasses and something to cover my face at times is fairly nice, I have a pair of ankle length water boots that have about a 1/4 inch of felt on the bottom to make getting in and out of slippery areas easily. This is also in the middle of the Texas summer and it is surprisingly not to hot to wear, I can take my hat off and dip it in the water and I can keep my pants and shirt wet through out the day too.

For the winter time, I have a nice set of full length neoprene waders with layered thermals underneath to keep my body temp regulated along with some nice thermal/waterproof gloves, hats, scarves an anything else to keep the wind off of me.

With all the cold weather coming in I have had time to work on some modifications and upgrades to my kayak, I have been meaning to do all summer long, went down to Lowes and picked up around 14 feet of PVC pipe, some cement and some electrical tape and made all this.

I put together these pole holders for my spinning reel and bait casters, they work quite well and can handle the constant pressure of the lure as well as fairly sized fish hitting them. They sit in the forward pole holders on my Outback and keep the line out far enough there is no chance it will get stuck in my rudder or gear and I can get my poles in and out of them in a few seconds too.

Made a fairly nice 8 ft stake out pole, keeps the outback pretty stable in the wind, enough where I can stand and cast confidently with no fear of falling in the water. I do need to figure out how to take off the blunt edge at the bottom and figure out some way to put a metal spike or something to help drive the pole into something other than a soft bottom.

Added some pole holders to my storage crate and my cooler so I can move my equipment around the lake without everything getting in the way.

Not the prettiest set up in the world but for the $15 or so it cost to make everything, I am OK with a bit of ugly on my kayak as long as it works. My next project is going to be running some red LED lights on the insides of my kayak, I do a bit of night fishing and this would be a nice add-on for visibility, safety and it will make it so much easier to see what I am doing versus a head lamp.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 1, 2015

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

TurboPriest posted:

Brazilian Native Fish Outing

This post is not receiving near enough love. I'm seething with envy. My dream vacation is to seine floodplains in Brazil and fish some on the side. Please post more pictures.

jadeddrifter posted:

I got out of the Springs as fast as possible, but I can recommend some locations. I just started ice fishing in North Park, specifically at Lake John. Fortunately, all my friends fish, so I was able to get by on my first outings just with enough jigs, an ice rod, and some appropriate line with a reel I already had. That may be a good bet if you've got some buddies who would let you borrow stuff till you figure out a gear list.

Locations:
I've only fished Lake John, but Delaney Buttes has been yielding some good fish this year; mostly Rainbows, some Cutbows. I've been reading reports on FishExplorer from Harvey Gap and Rifle Gap, both of which are producing big Northern Pike and Tiger Muskie right now. Blue Mesa is also usually good from what the fish biologists there tell me.

Gear you really need right now:
Good waterproof boots (I just wear my hiking boots)
Heavy socks (Smartwools, Thorlos, whatever you like that doesn't make your feet sweat. I wore snowboarding socks once and stayed warm.)
Good base layers (Synthetic)
Good middle layers (vests, flannels, fleeces, etc)
Coveralls or something at least heavy if not insulated
Warm windproof and waterproof jacket
Hat
Sunglasses
Fingerless gloves
YakTrax (These will save a pulled groin or busted rear end.)

Gear to get if you want to stay in it:
Second rod stamp for your CO fishing license, $5
Ice rod(s)
Reel(s) - I use my ultralight reel
Strike indicators - little springy thing to run your line through off the tip of your rod
Line - I use 6 lb P-Line but will add some 4 lb on another rod for perch and sunfish
Tipup or rod holders
Auger - I borrowed my buddy's hand auger and will probably be getting a similar one
Filet knife
Jigs - White tube jigs and Rat Finkees are good for trout in Colorado; I don't know what people are using for pike and muskie
Ice shelter
Much whiskey and yellow beer
Bait - wax worms, meal worms, cut bait like White Sucker, little shrimps, etc
Sled to haul all that poo poo

To stay warm, keep moving. You don't have to hold the rod in hand the whole time unless you're jigging. Get up and walk around, bullshit with people. Last time I was out, it was a big social event and about ten of us spent the thole day roving around a cove, grilling brats, drinking whiskey, bullshitting, watching each other's rods, etc. No need to huddle and freeze.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Rhythe, you might try a piece of perforated metal and then a couple machine screws with nuts, drill a couple holes in the PVC and cut the metal at the spike angle you like. I made a beach casting rod holder like that last year. Works great, cheap as dirt from scraps I bought at a building materials re-store, it all cost about 2 bucks and a bit of electric tape just for good measure. The perforated scrap I found was from an old shelving unit or something and has a smallL lip on the edge which reinforces it nicely and helps it fit to the round PVC.

For gifts for a kayaker, maybe a roll of sticky back Velcro to attach sundry to the hull in handy spots?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jan 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JRay88 posted:

If you are fair skinned wear breathable fabric pants. I fish on a SUP but when my roommate comes on his kayak he gets sunburn on the tops of his thighs and shins. They have zero sun protection if you wear shorts or swim trunks.