Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
It's more of an ARPG but I played some of Drakan: The Ancient Gates a few months ago and had a lot of fun with it. There should be more games where you ride a dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Well there's Drakengard, but there is only one Drakengard that isn't terrible to play. Worth reading DarkId's LP, though. It's kind of amazing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't play Drakengard, don't even recommend Drakengard outside of Id's lps.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'd definitely recommend at least reading that LP. Drakengard is something, all right. That game is all kinds of hosed up.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

Don't play Drakengard, don't even recommend Drakengard outside of Id's lps.
it's okay to play Nier. it's not horrendous, just kind of mediocre.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nier's fine.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Get Evergrace. It's a masterpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGJbuHUbw8k

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Drakengard 3 is actually pretty okay to play, as long as you're alright with a terrible framerate. It's still extremely niche and I wouldn't recommend it without some serious qualifiers, but it is actually worth playing unlike D1/D2.

E: And yes, you should play Nier. Go do that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, if you enjoy your framerate dipping into the single digits whenever a tumbleweed rolls by, Drakengard 3 is totally okay to play.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The thing that bugs me the most about Nier is that is deserves to be a much better game. The music, characters, and story are fantastic, but the game is just so... okay.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
all the drakengard and nier games have fantastic soundtracks

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Wild Arms 3 is a good PS2 era RPG. And Radiata Stories.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Nier is garbage but if you've somehow played every other game worth playing you can give it a spin I guess. It's one of those Goon Favorites that are incredibly overrated.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Artix posted:

Drakengard 3 is actually pretty okay to play, as long as you're alright with a terrible framerate. It's still extremely niche and I wouldn't recommend it without some serious qualifiers, but it is actually worth playing unlike D1/D2.

E: And yes, you should play Nier. Go do that.

thank you for recommending that i play nier on my ps2

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Nier is pretty great.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

you can also play nier on the LP subforum

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
Look at it this way: drakengard has bad gameplay, but good gameplay is wasted on final fantasy fans anyway, leaving the incredible story and soundtrack. Definitely worth playing.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

No, do not actually play Drakengard. There are things the series aces. The gameplay is not one of those things, and it's not just kinda bad. This isn't Deadly Premonition bad, where you can just sort of sail through the crap. Not even Sonic '06 bad, where you can find enjoyment in a broken game. No, this is, like, actually physically painful to play bad. Drakengard is worth experiencing, but not through actually playing it. Unless you're really hate yourself that much.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 11, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Butt Ghost posted:

No, do not actually play Drakengard. There are things the series aces. The gameplay is not one of those things, and it's not just kinda bad. This isn't Deadly Premonition bad, where you can just sort of sail through the crap. Not even Sonic '06 bad, where you can find enjoyment in a broken game. No, this is, like, actually physically painful to play bad. Drakengard is worth experiencing, but not through actually playing it. Unless you're really hate yourself that much.

You can't hate yourself enough. No matter the anger you have inside, Drakengard hates you more. Don't play Drakengard read the LP instead. It's a bad game to play, but a really interesting game to experience.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
There are games with far worse gameplay. Drakengard isn't really frustrating, or annoying to play. It's just kinda bland and one-note.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That makes it worse than a game that is bad or annoying to play.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
After about 5 years+ of not playing any jRPG whatsoever, decided to dig out my old FFIX discs and try it out in an emulator.

FFIX was always a favorite of mine due to how... well, charming I found it. Love the artstyle, the steampunk feel. Upon replaying it, this actually holds up even better than I thought. It's a beautiful, beautiful game with a great soundtrack.
The writing is really a mixed bag though. The game is fine as long as it stays pretty "down-to-earth". I like how it all starts out in Alexandria and then Lindblum later on, those bits of the game feel good. But once the war starts it kinda goes weird. There just isn't nearly enough time devoted to this to make it actually feel like a war is going on. First goes Burmecia and then Lindblum. There is no real "weight" to these happenings so they just end up feeling weird and rushed.

As for the characters, I enjoy Vivi and Steiner a lot more this time around. While Steiner mostly annoyed me the first time I played, I kinda enjoy his antics now and think the game, despite his comic relief, manages to deliver a pretty good arc as he realizes that serving Brahne may not be a very good thing. As for Vivi, I remember not caring much about him first time around but I quite like him now.

Zidane is a bit annoying. Garnet feels like the standard "innocent princess now becoming strong out in the world". Freya is probably the most cringeworthy actually. So very DRAMATIC, and the little riverdance scene is... well... something...
Kuja is a horrible villain.

But what's stifling my enjoyment most of all on this replay is the random encounters. Holy hell does this feel like an outdated mechanic. It's just immensely annoying. Doubly annoying that it constantly breaks up the nice background music, drat you game!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Nuebot posted:

All the actual game content [of the .hack games] is on every disc. The only thing that separates the games are the cutscenes.

Cool fact: this is also the case for Final Fantasy VII and IX, probably also VIII.

In the case of VII, the entire game (sans pre-rendered cinematics) would've fit nearly three times over on a single CD.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 11, 2015

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Leinadi posted:

Freya is probably the most cringeworthy actually. So very DRAMATIC, and the little riverdance scene is... well... something...

Freya is cool, and it's a real shame that the game completely forgets about her after Cleyra.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like that Freya ends up befriending Amarant from them both having a common bond of being irrelevant to the plot and only still being there just because.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

DrNutt posted:

Nier is garbage but if you've somehow played every other game worth playing you can give it a spin I guess. It's one of those Goon Favorites that are incredibly overrated.

It's also one of Yoichi Wada's favorites. He's the one who greenlit a lot of Cavia games as vanity projects even though they had no chance of becoming big hits. Who ever said Wada didn't have a heart?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nihilarian posted:

Wild Arms 3 is a good PS2 era RPG. And Radiata Stories.

Don't know if this was sarcastic or not, but I actually agree with the Radiata Stories part.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I've actually been kinda wanting to replay Drakengard 3 recently. :negative:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Leinadi posted:

After about 5 years+ of not playing any jRPG whatsoever, decided to dig out my old FFIX discs and try it out in an emulator.

FFIX was always a favorite of mine due to how... well, charming I found it. Love the artstyle, the steampunk feel. Upon replaying it, this actually holds up even better than I thought. It's a beautiful, beautiful game with a great soundtrack.
The writing is really a mixed bag though. The game is fine as long as it stays pretty "down-to-earth". I like how it all starts out in Alexandria and then Lindblum later on, those bits of the game feel good. But once the war starts it kinda goes weird. There just isn't nearly enough time devoted to this to make it actually feel like a war is going on. First goes Burmecia and then Lindblum. There is no real "weight" to these happenings so they just end up feeling weird and rushed.

As for the characters, I enjoy Vivi and Steiner a lot more this time around. While Steiner mostly annoyed me the first time I played, I kinda enjoy his antics now and think the game, despite his comic relief, manages to deliver a pretty good arc as he realizes that serving Brahne may not be a very good thing. As for Vivi, I remember not caring much about him first time around but I quite like him now.

Zidane is a bit annoying. Garnet feels like the standard "innocent princess now becoming strong out in the world". Freya is probably the most cringeworthy actually. So very DRAMATIC, and the little riverdance scene is... well... something...
Kuja is a horrible villain.

But what's stifling my enjoyment most of all on this replay is the random encounters. Holy hell does this feel like an outdated mechanic. It's just immensely annoying. Doubly annoying that it constantly breaks up the nice background music, drat you game!

Steiner is probably my favorite ff character because the dude has such a clear arc that is resolved before the end of the game and then inspires another character to resolve her own arc.
Him and Beatrix defending the weak in Alexandria while that kick rear end song plays is the best part of that game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Steiner owns and Zidane is the least annoying post ff7 ff hero (until lightning)

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

That makes it worse than a game that is bad or annoying to play.

What? How?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

For some people bland is worse than a total train wreck. At least a train wreck can be interesting in its own way.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Boring's got nothing of value in it, a really bad idea's at least interesting to dissect sometimes

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Because then it's just forgettable, there's no worth to playing a game that is mediocre or boring. Even lovely games have something to look for or experience, no matter how bad said experience is. I would say Drakengard 1 & 3's gameplay are loving terrible and garbage which is part of why I feel strongly about those games (It's literally the only reason for D3, the story of that game is kind of nothing), but if the game is so dull why even bother talking about it? Like for as much as people talk about 13 in here that is because they feel strongly about it and there is some worth to discussing it (No matter how many loving times that seems to be).

Like to compare, I would rather play 30 Drakengards than 1 .hack.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You can't hate yourself enough. No matter the anger you have inside, Drakengard hates you more. Don't play Drakengard read the LP instead. It's a bad game to play, but a really interesting game to experience.

I don't know I think Dragonriders:Chronicles of Pern beats out Drakengard in every aspect.

Seriously if you own a dreamcast and not Pern, you owe yourself to play one of the most addicting bad games that ever existed since The Bouncer.

You won't stop thinking about it until you have beaten everything.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

I don't know I think Dragonriders:Chronicles of Pern beats out Drakengard in every aspect.

Seriously if you own a dreamcast and not Pern, you owe yourself to play one of the most addicting bad games that ever existed since The Bouncer.

You won't stop thinking about it until you have beaten everything.

taint reaped again~

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Fungah! posted:

taint reaped again~

There is only one single complete FAQ that exists and they even mention that parts of the game are unfinished or give you no direction and you're not sure if you've completed certain quests or not.

It also has one of the absolute worst cameras I've ever seen and I've played Dino Crisis 3.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Are you serious? Like, are you actually serious? There's a loving Dragonriders of Pern game? Why?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Gologle posted:

Are you serious? Like, are you actually serious? There's a loving Dragonriders of Pern game? Why?

I used to play it and you can get smart enough to talk to dolphins, it was definitely a... unique game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Don't know if this was sarcastic or not, but I actually agree with the Radiata Stories part.
I'm not sure what makes you think I was being sarcastic.