Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

I just wish the scale was correct. Or maybe that cabin is HUGE.

Nevermind the cottage, check out the size of the canoe! Imagine trying to portage that, eh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Nerobro posted:

Like a DC-3 on pontoons.

You say that as if it hasn't already happened:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That owns so much

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

http://youtu.be/pJ6zTZuq5zw

:colbert:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

You know what needs to be done...

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Linedance posted:

Nevermind the cottage, check out the size of the canoe! Imagine trying to portage that, eh!

gently caress the canoe, that must be a god damned dire-wolf on the rock.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Koesj posted:

I'm triggering :gonk:

gently caress cdg

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Terrifying Effigies posted:

You know what needs to be done...

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

God drat that thing is badass.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

StandardVC10 posted:

God drat that thing is badass.

the video that still is taken from

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Best part is 7 min in. Hey, let's gun the engines to drive up onto the beach and just park it next to that truck. Then the passengers disembark using a hardware store step ladder.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Jet engines and floats, you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqy7T3W4qCs

if only :allears:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

If it floats on its hull, it's a flying boat, not a floatplane. :colbert:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Psion posted:

*based on real life!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lun-class_ekranoplan

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Psion posted:

It still boggles my mind that one of those got built.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

MrChips posted:

If it floats on its hull, it's a flying boat, not a floatplane. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utCTIEB_V3E

Flying boats are cool.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Simkin posted:

Also, I think that would look awfully nice on the wall and would be a barometer for the quality of my guests.

I heard O Canada start playing in my head. And I'm not even Canadian.

The second thing I noticed was that given the size of the chair, and the doorway (both of which are in the background) and the dingy, that Arrow can't be more than 40% size, or 10% volume of the real thing. And then I got sad.

But the third thing I noticed was the teeny-tiny wolf, which is also drawn to about 40% size. Which makes me wonder if this as that Arrow variant designed to be piloted by werewolves (just drawn to the wrong scale)

Does that mean I'd be asked to leave?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yep. World in Conflict is pretty much the greatest thing ever. My "if only" was more of the part where they had like six of them in formation. Now that'd be something to see.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

Psion posted:

Yep. World in Conflict is pretty much the greatest thing ever. My "if only" was more of the part where they had like six of them in formation. Now that'd be something to see.

That is badass, though wouldn't they be flying in ground effect 10-20 feet off the water?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Psion posted:

WiC was my poo poo until I played the Wargame series. Wargame: Red Dragon is the best RTS I've played in the last decade, hands down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVc77pOkJgQ

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

VikingSkull posted:

WiC was my poo poo until I played the Wargame series. Wargame: Red Dragon is the best RTS I've played in the last decade, hands down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVc77pOkJgQ

I loved playing cooperative WiC multiplayer during the beta. I was really good at guessing where to lay down nukes, so I'd poke on the map where the hand of god had to land and whoever had the points banked/donated to just made out like a bandit.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I played a lot of it during retail; against pub teams we had a vaguely coordinated group and could stomp regularly, against any form of organized clan opponent we got owned, hard. WIC MP is possibly it's weakest point for being fun as poo poo until you skill plateau, at which point it doesn't really play out differently enough from map to map.

still good though, still got a lot of playtime in it.

also we saved up those battle points and gave them all to one person so they could triple nuke. Or sometimes we all farmed points so we could all triple nuke. I believe our record was 11 in one match? I might be wrong, but I had a screenshot ages ago that was nothing but nuke blasts or remnants blanketing the map.

in non-WIC news, what's the best way for someone to get from Dulles into downtown DC? Asking for a friend who was not lucky enough to get booked into National. (company booking agents hate you, apparently) -- any particular cab/car services that aren't mad poo poo, etc, or is it just the usual?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Psion posted:

in non-WIC news, what's the best way for someone to get from Dulles into downtown DC? Asking for a friend who was not lucky enough to get booked into National. (company booking agents hate you, apparently) -- any particular cab/car services that aren't mad poo poo, etc, or is it just the usual?

If you're looking to do it cheaply there's a bus that goes from Dulles to the Reston metro station and you can take the ~60 minute subway ride in, total cost is about $10. Washington Flyer has a taxi monopoly on the airports in DC so they're all you can get if you walk up to the taxi line, I think it's about $50 to get downtown and you'll get there in about 30 minutes if it's not rush hour, and up to 90 if it is. I've used them a bunch and never had a bad experience.

If you want more information, ask in the DC thread.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Psion posted:

When we were staying in Crystal City, we ended up just renting a car for a day. It wasn't that bad and was sort of nice to have.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 11, 2015

Tapet
Oct 17, 2010

slidebite posted:

Like I mentioned a few pages ago, I'm pretty sure it was:

I took "electric jet" to mean f16... :downswords:

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Passenger MD-11 in KLM livery hanging out at KSEA. I thought they were all retired.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Worthleast posted:

Passenger MD-11 in KLM livery hanging out at KSEA. I thought they were all retired.

Probably going into a museum

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Linedance posted:

Probably going into a museum

Actually it's clearing customs to fly to Mojave for scrapping, I believe. There were rumblings about one of the KLM MD-11s going to a museum, but I don't think it happened.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

StandardVC10 posted:

Actually it's clearing customs to fly to Mojave for scrapping, I believe. There were rumblings about one of the KLM MD-11s going to a museum, but I don't think it happened.

Mojave is so depressing. All those planes, immaculate in the desert, waiting to be scrapped :(

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I assume FedEx wants it for parts so it'll be there for quite some time?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

slidebite posted:

When we were staying in Crystal City, we ended up just renting a car for a day. It wasn't that bad and was sort of nice to have.

cabs or transit get reimbursed, car rentals don't. Company policies :shrug:

also - didn't know about the taxi monopoly but I should've assumed as much. thanks, all. I'll pass it on.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
IIRC some mcdac fanboys tried to get one of the ex-KLs into the national air museum here in the Netherlands, but they were more or less laughed away.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Simkin posted:

This didn't get enough love. I can just imagine this being the hero of some alt-history Canadian Red Dawn novel. It would be flown by a rogue with a striking similarity (and played by in the obviously a smash hit in canada movie) to Keanu Reeves, and his crew chief would be Red Green.

Also, I think that would look awfully nice on the wall and would be a barometer for the quality of my guests.

It's actually a diorama from a collection called Group of Seven Awkward Moments

They are all :canada: to the extreme.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

dubzee posted:

It's actually a diorama from a collection called Group of Seven Awkward Moments

They are all :canada: to the extreme.

lol

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

I assume FedEx wants it for parts so it'll be there for quite some time?

it won't take Fedex long to strip it for parts, I'm sure. :v:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Godspeed little float-arrow! :canada:

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

I was going to post something about the Ekranoplan being useless in an opposed assault landing, with the added detail that the Convar R3Y Tradewind was cancelled for that reason, but I remembered that was just a comment made by a third party a few years ago.

I did, however, find out that the R3Y actually fell victim to that old favorite problem of aeronautics, "Hey, let's weld two engines together, what could possibly go wrong?"

The Allison T40

I would have thought the USAAF had captured some of the data relating to the He 177 and its various failures with almost the same concept, but evidently not.

Also notable in being used in the hilariously 50's "let's try a fighter that takes off and lands vertically, but get this-the pilot sits parallel to the ground" Lockheed XFV Salmon and Convair XFY Pogo, and the "Almost a Brown Note" Republic XF-84H Thunderscreech.

This was not an engine design with a bright future, clearly, given that it was only ever used in prototypes.

The 1950's were a truly mad time in aviation.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

SeaborneClink posted:

Godspeed little float-arrow! :canada:

ahahaha I was happy with finding just the original, but this is even better.

Something else:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Using TEB to jump-start engines is just one more reason the Blackbird is awesome

e: Also another reason is "using two V8 motors coupled together as a start cart." Mostly because the sound of the start cart at fully throttle is louder than the sound of the engines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjdyQpEUYzI

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Gadzooks those V8s sounded sweet. The 454 was quite the beast, always wanted to drive a Chevelle with one.

I did get to drive in Mustang Mach 1 with the 7.0L (429cu in) engine, also a beast.

RIP Big Blocks :(