Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Right now someone is doing child link section of ocarina of time blindfolded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Siochain posted:

I just joined the Wii U club, and I feel great. The wife and I busted out the old Wii on NYE, and had a blast, so fuckit, Xmas bonus bought a Wii U.
Got the Super Mario 3d World bundle, and just put about 2 hours into it. Really fun, really well done.
I'm thinking of picking up MK8 and likely Captain Toad - Smash at some point as well. So excited hahah.

Welcome the club. Enjoy the Cute!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why didn't anyone tell me Shrek was an unlockable character in F-Zero GP Legend?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why didn't anyone tell me Shrek was an unlockable character in F-Zero GP Legend?

Please do not be rude to my friend Mr. EAD.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Swing your arms from side to side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGNUmHkn1co

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

I am not going to lie, that was pretty amazing. I liked the background props. I wonder how much of it Nintendo directly oversaw.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Koji Kondo put the medley together himself, apparently.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
So Toad is just Aladdin.

Also, shower thought, is Yoshi dead in the 3D Saga

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 11, 2015

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

noirstronaut posted:

Mariomouth eat da eggs

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

So Toad is just Aladdin.

Yoshi was in Super Mario Sunshine which is part of 3D Mario Canon

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yoshi was in Super Mario Sunshine which is part of 3D Mario Canon

That was weird Delfino Yoshi though, who could change colors like a chameleon, dissolved in water, ran on/spat out juice, and could only be green if he was almost out of juice at which point he would also dissolve.

Yoshi's in Galaxy 2, as well.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Anyone have any experiences with mayflash gamecube controller adapter? Is it worth buying?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Have they done a second run of the official Gamecube sdapters yet? I grabbed a Smash Gamecube controller when the game came out but I've still not been able to get an adapter. :smith:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Stan Taylor posted:

Have they done a second run of the official Gamecube sdapters yet? I grabbed a Smash Gamecube controller when the game came out but I've still not been able to get an adapter. :smith:

Yes, they sent out a second run.

Apparently they sold out in under 20 minutes.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Stan Taylor posted:

Yeah, they're still difficult to find. I did finally get to try playing Smash 4 with a GC controller, and after getting used to the Wii U Pro controller I actually found it hard to go back. The Pro controller is pretty good once you get used to it

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
How funny would it be if the Mayfash adapter suffered from the same scarcity as the official one. That'd be hilarious.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Well.

poo poo.

So when I bought my Smash U off a guy on a forum, I made sure that it came with the PIN code. Only, I went to register it today and... it's a Super Mario 3D World code.

I don't actually think he was trying to cheat me, but rather that someone put the wrong code in the box by mistake and it was probably not the store, but gah, getting the code was important to me for the free CD and Mewtwo.

Damnit.

I don't suppose there's any EU goons around with a code they don't plan on using? :v:

In other news, beat Bayonetta 2, as the first new game beaten of the year. Great game, that. Felt shorter than the first game, but maybe I just played it in longer goes. I love how drat ridiculous it all is, in the end I had Bayonetta in a Peach outfit with chainsaw arms and whips strapped to her heels. Good times, good times.

So now I guess it's time to get more Smashing done.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

KennyMan666 posted:

Well.

poo poo.

So when I bought my Smash U off a guy on a forum, I made sure that it came with the PIN code. Only, I went to register it today and... it's a Super Mario 3D World code.

I don't actually think he was trying to cheat me, but rather that someone put the wrong code in the box by mistake and it was probably not the store, but gah, getting the code was important to me for the free CD and Mewtwo.

Damnit.

I don't suppose there's any EU goons around with a code they don't plan on using? :v:

In other news, beat Bayonetta 2, as the first new game beaten of the year. Great game, that. Felt shorter than the first game, but maybe I just played it in longer goes. I love how drat ridiculous it all is, in the end I had Bayonetta in a Peach outfit with chainsaw arms and whips strapped to her heels. Good times, good times.

drat, I really wanted you to be a US goon because I wanted to get my good deed of the day out of the way.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

KennyMan666 posted:

Well.

poo poo.

Damnit.

I don't know if this is true for EU packaging or not, but in America, Club Nintendo PINs have gone from being their own slip of paper to being on the back of the cover slip, so you have to open the case wide enough and look on the back of that cover page or just take it out to get your code. Maybe you should check that?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

They don't do that with the EU packaging (and thank god for that). Anyway, the guy mentioned getting the wrong registration code (3D World instead of Smash).

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Nintendo is probably good about it if you call customer support and say the pin code you received with the game didn't work.

Always worth a shot, they have great customer service.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Hey all, if I throw my gamepad in my checked luggage but surround it with plenty of towels it should survive the trip, right? I've somehow got to find a way to take my ps3, ps4, and Wii U with me on an international flight since i'm moving and desperately need all the space on my carryon.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Hey all, if I throw my gamepad in my checked luggage but surround it with plenty of towels it should survive the trip, right? I've somehow got to find a way to take my ps3, ps4, and Wii U with me on an international flight since i'm moving and desperately need all the space on my carryon.

Bring it and the gamepad in your carry-on and then plug that poo poo in midflight for some game playin'. I know you said you need carry-on space but do it anyway.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

KennyMan666 posted:

Well.

poo poo.

Damnit.

Just checked this offer and is it really only applicable if you get both versions of Smash?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

Almost certainly. I put a lot of fairly frail stuff in checked luggage all the time, and it is very rare to have any issues. Airport luggage handling looks worse than it is. Ideally you have hard luggage, but even without I doubt anything will break.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

RE: Luggage: I brought my Xbox 360 - the pre-HDMI version that many say are prone to breaking - from Sweden to America and back again in my checked in luggage, and that involved the suitcase being off to god knows where and arriving a day after me due to delays leading to rebookings. It survived the trip completely and in fact the only time I have ever seen a red LED on it was when I hadn't plugged in the power supply properly.

Kin posted:

Just checked this offer and is it really only applicable if you get both versions of Smash?
Yes. Mewtwo has been confirmed that it'll get released as regular DLC eventually. The CD might be in Club Nintendo store or something?

Anyway, it has been solved, dude on another forum is giving me his PIN. Guess he doesn't have the 3DS version.

Also good god 8 player matches on small stages are confusing and I often have no idea what's going on until 3-4 of teh CPUs are dead.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

KennyMan666 posted:

RE: Luggage: I brought my Xbox 360 - the pre-HDMI version that many say are prone to breaking - from Sweden to America and back again in my checked in luggage, and that involved the suitcase being off to god knows where and arriving a day after me due to delays leading to rebookings. It survived the trip completely and in fact the only time I have ever seen a red LED on it was when I hadn't plugged in the power supply properly.

That issue with the 360 was because of the design and heating/cooling of one of the chips on the board. It wasn't any more prone to breaking from mishandling than any other console. I think the thing you have to worry about with the gamepad is the screen. Not much more you can do than pack it in soft stuff and cross your fingers.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

KennyMan666 posted:

This post just reminded me that Microsoft's ground-breaking HD console somehow initially shipped without an HDMI port. Who knows what they were thinking there.

To contribute: I used to bring my old Wii on plane flights to and from college all the time. Just pack it securely in between a bunch of clothes or something and make sure it can't get jostled around.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

noirstronaut posted:

drat, I really wanted you to be a US goon because I wanted to get my good deed of the day out of the way.

Yo help me out then. I was gonna buy smash off ebay last night and save myself like 12bux ($51 and no tax) but it won't get here before the 13th. I didnt realize the cd and dlc were different dates.

send me a US smash code now and I'll send you one back in like 5 days or so when I get a copy.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So US have their cutoff date for that a week before at least UK, then. I think it said 20th for that.

Also good thing I have a brother who lives in the UK so I can have the CD sent to him and then given to me some other time.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Awesome! posted:

Yo help me out then. I was gonna buy smash off ebay last night and save myself like 12bux ($51 and no tax) but it won't get here before the 13th. I didnt realize the cd and dlc were different dates.

send me a US smash code now and I'll send you one back in like 5 days or so when I get a copy.

Already gave it to Rudoku~

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

goddamn you noirstronaut

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Awesome! posted:

goddamn you noirstronaut

I'll give you the code to Smash Wii U 2 when it drops in 6 years

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I was just able to order a gamecube adapter for MSRP at Best Buy following these directions if anyone else still needs one.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Would that same concept work for amiibos?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Man, 3d World has been a seriously great time. I still haven't given the multiplayer a whirl, but single player has been worth the purchase alone. I just unlocked the secret character, and have been told there's a ways to go.

The only glaring criticism I have is that the final boss' uniqueness was kinda wrecked by a godawful autoscrolling camera. Its supposed to be this epic clamber to victory, and instead its an awkward stop, pause, wait for the camera... climb frantically.... wait for the camera to adjust... repeat for a solid two minutes. Just terrible. And stands in stark comparison to the rest of the game, which feels so incredibly well tuned.

I'm also not a fan of the "go hunting for a powerup in a different level to collect something in another level" mechanic, but thankfully that only appeared to happen a few times.

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 12, 2015

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

The only glaring criticism I have is that the final boss' uniqueness was kinda wrecked by a godawful autoscrolling camera. Its supposed to be this epic clamber to victory, and instead its an awkward stop, pause, wait for the camera... climb frantically.... wait for the camera to adjust... repeat for a solid two minutes. Just terrible. And stands in stark comparison to the rest of the game, which feels so incredibly well tuned.

The final boss is kind of a let down especially after they nailed it in 3D Land. It's like the only really good final boss fight in a Mario game

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

Would that same concept work for amiibos?
There was a shipment of gamecube controller adapters that got to the Best Buy Warehouse, but it hasn't gotten to the best buys yet. That is what an OMS order lets you order (from my understanding). So that would only work if the warehouse had the amiibos you want, and they probably don't if you're looking for the rare ones.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Fritzler posted:

I was just able to order a gamecube adapter for MSRP at Best Buy following these directions if anyone else still needs one.

Holy poo poo, this actually worked for me, too. :aaaaa: My adaptor should be at the store later this week! Thanks for the heads up!

The woman working customer service had a Smash button on, and she already knew the SKU by heart, which helped!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Devil Wears Wings posted:

This post just reminded me that Microsoft's ground-breaking HD console somehow initially shipped without an HDMI port. Who knows what they were thinking there.

HDMI I don't think was really a thing in 2005, let alone the couple of years before when the console was actually in development. DVI and component cables were the big thing back then.

• Locked thread