Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

goodness posted:

Is there any way to set it to use specific sets?

Not just sets you can filter for cards based on a wide variety of criteria: cost/effects/interaction/etc. It also comes with a ton of premade "balanced" kingdoms too, and of course total random mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Are there any other good games that have simultaneous turns like 7 wonders? More and more I'm becoming aware of the downside to long turns or significant setup and tear down times, but I'm also a little burnt out on 7 wonders.

I'll reply regarding "long turns". Setup and tear down times of games can be significantly shortened by using clever methods of packaging, like plano boxes, ziplock bags and such, while still varying with games and people greatly. But that's another discussion.

Among the Stars, Seasons, Fairy Tale, Sushi Go are all drafting games you might find similar to 7 Wonders to different degrees.

Castles of Burgundy has everyone rolling their dice at the same time. So they can plan their turns at the same time and play right away when its their turn instead of the alternative of starting to think what to do when they get their turn like in Alien Frontiers and Kingsburg. Sometimes these plans can be foiled by someone picking your planned action, but not often.

Dungeon Lords and Dungeon Petz has everyone deciding on their actions and placing their cards/bids simultaneously, then resolves everyone's turns together.

Race for the Galaxy & Roll for the Galaxy has everyone deciding on the phases to be played at the same time. And when those are resolved later in order, everyone plays them at the same time.

Real time, sand timer, etc. games like Escape: The Curse of the Temple, Space Alert & Galaxy Trucker has everyone playing all at the same time all the time, so there is no waiting for other players.

Games like Archipelago, Caverna: The Cave Farmers, Eclipse, Kemet, Lancaster, New Dawn, Spyrium, Terra Mystica, Village try dealing with long player turns by giving each player a single small action to do / worker to deal with in their turn, so they do a single small thing and pass, instead of playing for 2-5 minutes like in some other titles.

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

Just played my first game of Twilight Struggle. Man is it an accurate simulation of the back and forth of the cold war. A few lucky coups got me, the USSR player, control of Central America and domination of Middle East and Asia (could never get Japan).

I was up 14 points at one time but then mid game Pope John Paul II got elected and I lost Poland and my hold of Eastern Europe. The last 3 turns was me just desperately trying to hold onto East Germany while just making sure I would score enough at the end of turn 10, but on turn 9 Chernobyl hit Asia and I lost both Asia and Middle East domination and just got stomped.

Rarely does a 4 hour game leave me wanting to play another round immediately after. I gotta beat my friend now!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

A Jupiter posted:

Just played my first game of Twilight Struggle. Man is it an accurate simulation of the back and forth of the cold war. A few lucky coups got me, the USSR player, control of Central America and domination of Middle East and Asia (could never get Japan).

I was up 14 points at one time but then mid game Pope John Paul II got elected and I lost Poland and my hold of Eastern Europe. The last 3 turns was me just desperately trying to hold onto East Germany while just making sure I would score enough at the end of turn 10, but on turn 9 Chernobyl hit Asia and I lost both Asia and Middle East domination and just got stomped.

Rarely does a 4 hour game leave me wanting to play another round immediately after. I gotta beat my friend now!

You have failed the soviet ideal by not ending the game by turn 7 at the latest.

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

Lord Frisk posted:

You have failed the soviet ideal by not ending the game by turn 7 at the latest.

I had War Games at one point but I just couldn't edge out a 7 point lead :(

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
Had a weird thought, what if you wanted to play monopoly but monopoly blows, so whats a good game that revolves around auction mechanics instead of just making deals on the sly like chinatown or lords of vegas?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

Had a weird thought, what if you wanted to play monopoly but monopoly blows, so whats a good game that revolves around auction mechanics instead of just making deals on the sly like chinatown or lords of vegas?

Power Grid.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Yah Power Grid or some Reiner Knizia games, I think Ra and Modern Art? Haven't played them myself but I hear them mentioned frequently. For Sale is good if you want something really light.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

Amun-Re was one of my main intros into modern boardgaming, and I still hold it up as a great auction mechanic game.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Madmarker posted:

Amun-Re was one of my main intros into modern boardgaming, and I still hold it up as a great auction mechanic game.

mine was munchkin. :colbert:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I think my group may have a 7 Wonders problem...we've had the game since New Year's and have played at least 15 times (my app has 9 games recorded, and we played a handful of times before I knew there was a scoring app), we bought Leaders yesterday, were out and about today and decided "hey let's pick up Cities, just because", and managed to get a 3 and a 6 player game of that in tonight. God this game is addictive. And everyone we've taught has only need 1 "teaching game" where we play cards in sequence instead of all at once.

EDIT: Does anyone know when Broken Token's new 7 Wonders organizer is coming out? I know I'm gonna get Babel eventually, so I don't want to invest in a $20 organizer that's going to be obsolete/replaced soon...

jivjov fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 11, 2015

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

If you don't mind a bit of trashiness, some randomness and gotchas, Spartacus is entertaining as hell. I won't go as far as saying it's a 'good game', but it delivers bombast and craziness by the spadeload, without being complete random monkey-cheese bullshit. And it has auctioning and stuff. It's also reasonably cheap!

EDIT: Otherwise, Power Grid is exactly what you've asked for. Like almost literally.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

There's also For Sale, if you want something light. It's entirely bidding-based.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
do not get Babel because it is completely unfun garbage that by and large ruins any and all of the strategy that makes 7 wonders actually fun

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

do not get Babel because it is completely unfun garbage that by and large ruins any and all of the strategy that makes 7 wonders actually fun

I was hesitant on it after my FLGS experience with it...but after having given it some thought, I could see getting a decent bit of fun out of one or the other mini-expansion being added; both at once just seems to add too much "other poo poo" to spend turns on that isn't building your empire or your wonder.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
By the way, if I don't end up getting a FFG LCG core set or anything, I will end up getting Dominions + Intrigue, or maybe Dominions + TtR/7 Wonders. Thanks thread!

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

EBag posted:

Yah Power Grid or some Reiner Knizia games, I think Ra and Modern Art? Haven't played them myself but I hear them mentioned frequently. For Sale is good if you want something really light.

Knizia's best auction game is Medici.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Brought four new games today to my usual gaming group, and to my surprise all of them got played. Usually I get one played, maybe two on a lucky day.

First one was a three-player game of Temporum, my second game of it. One of the players had a pretty strong engine going with one each of the "draw a card when you play/score a card" and the one that gives $1 when you draw one. Third player ended up winning, though it came down pretty close at the end. Nice, light game, and one where I'm looking forward to the inevitable expansions.

Next up I busted up a three-player game of Quantum with a different player. I was impressed by how well-designed everything looked. I really liked how the values of the ship were important in a way that you don't want just low or high-valued ships, and that changing them was a big part of the game. I was also impressed by how useful both sets of cards were, as they changed the direction of the game at one point, where the other player and I used the cards that removed upgrades on the third player, who had four cubes out and was one Dominance away from winning with her fifth, letting the second player beat her up in combat and knock her Dominance down. It actually got turned around a bit and I managed to catch up by claiming a planet and then grabbing the card to move a cube away so I could be set to take it again, but the third player managed to win again with Dominance. The second player was so impressed with the game, she later got another group to give it a try. I really like how quick and elegant it is, and look forward to playing it more.

Rules Question: If you place a cube during the card phase, do you then get to draw another card? For instance, when I placed a cube on the turn, I used my card draw at the end of the turn to grab the +2 Dominance card, enough to let me place a cube. I assume you could, but it's good to clarify first.

After that, we played a few games of my friend's copy of One Night Ultimate Werewolf. Highlights were one person arriving while everyone had their eyes closed and then another person coming in right as we finished explaining the rules to that person. The other highlight for me was people trying to suss out who was a Werewolf after the Troublemaker switched the two. I actually robbed the original Werewolf first and just sat back as everyone else spent a couple minutes discussing who to target before choosing the person who "got switched" the Werewolf card. Of course, that awesomeness was countered by the Tanner claiming to be the Seer and accusing me of being a Werewolf, which threw me off guard since I once again robbed a Werewolf that round. Could've avoided the lynching if I waited a bit for the other Seer to counter-claim, but I hosed up and exposed myself instead.

The complaints about how random the game is are valid, and there is a lot of luck involved for trying to win, but I think it's great for a five-minute game for a large group, which is a pretty hard niche to fill, and it does the Werewolf concept well enough without dragging it on too long and without the need for player elimination or a moderator. Pretty solid for what it is.

After that, I got three other players to try out Roll for the Galaxy, the one purchase I made blind. Playing with one person who played a couple games of Race and two who'd never played it, it went just as how you'd expect, i.e. I had to go over the rules twice since the symbology was confusing for new players and since I'm not great a teacher, and it didn't start to really click for everyone until the second half of the game. One of the Galaxy newbies ended up winning. I look forward to trying the game again, it's pretty much like learning Race all over again.

Quick Rules Recap since people are curious about the game: You start with three starting worlds/developments, one world and development each in your building piles, and five white dice, plus any dice given by your starting worlds (whether in your cup, as a good, or in your Citizenry). You roll your cup dice, and you match your dice faces to one of the five phases, placing them under that phase. Of course, there's ways to move them around, since you choose one die to pick which phase you want to happen regardless of its face (like picking a phase for Race, except you get no bonus other that guaranteeing the action happens and that you'll at least have that die to do the action). You also get Reassign actions from some Developments that let you move dice around, and everyone starts with one that lets you remove a die for that round to move another die (the removed die goes back to your cup). And there are wild faces as well on most die. After that, the phases are revealed and done based on which are selected, with the phases done simultaneously. Using dice for all these phases move them to the Citizenry. Explore lets you either gain $2, or you can choose to discard development/settlement tiles you're trying to build to grab that many tiles + 1 (so if you don't discard any, you still grab one tile). Each tile is double-sided so you have one world and one development, and you choose which goes at the bottom of the pile (in any order if you draw more than one tile). Develop and Settle are similar, where all dice on that phase are placed on the corresponding building tile. If the number of dice equals the cost, you place that tile on your tableau and its power goes into effect, with any leftover dice staying on the next building tile (if empty, excess go to the cup). You can build more than one Development/Settlement per turn if you have the dice to do so. Settlements get you more dice and places to place goods, Developments give you useful powers (and 6-cost Developments of course give you extra VP at the end of the game). Produce lets you place dice on colored (blue/brown/green/yellow) worlds. You don't have to place the same colored die on a planet (you can have a white on a yellow for instance), but there's a perk to doing so. Ship is how you make use of those goods, letting you either score money based on the color of the planet the good is on, from $3 to $6 (the color of the good here is irrelevant), or score victory point tokens, where you get one for just shipping a good, another one if the good is the same color as the planet it's on, and another one if the die used to ship is the same color as the planet. Purple dice count as any color as far as shipping/being a good is concerned. The ship and good tokens both go to the Citizenry. After that, you get dice back from the Citizenry by paying $1 per die until you run out of money or dice, then reset back up to $1 (so that you're never screwed out of regaining dice), and you can choose to return any dice currently on developments/settlements currently under construction and any goods on planets to the cup if you choose. Game End is same as Race, until at least 12 tiles in one person's tableau or until 12 x number of players victory chips run out. Victory points are chips, the cost of each development/world including your starters, and any bonuses from 6-cost developments rounded up (so if you get 2VP per three Red dice and you have four, you'd actually get 4VP).

First off, if you're not a fan of Race, I really doubt Roll will change your mind. It's pretty similar in that the only player interaction is seeing whether person X will pick the phase you want to happen or if you should play it safe and choose it yourself, as well as many of the strategies that work well in Race would probably work well in Roll. The big thing I noticed is that it's pretty important to get money regularly to get your dice back from the Citizenry, or else you're going to have a lot of turns where you're only rolling two or three dice, and getting money is limited to Exploring ($2 per action), shipping ($3-$6 per action and good), and certain developments (I got one where I got $1 per development I built). It's also a good idea to know what sides each die has depending on your strategy (luckily, your player shield for when you're choosing your phases/die placement gives you what faces are on each die). Red Military dice have more Development and Settlement symbols (there's no Military cost requirements in Roll), Purple has more Shipping icons, Blue has more good icons, Yellow has three wild symbols, and so on. That said, I just went with what I could get (especially since I decided to go heavy on Developments from what I draw), and it probably more comes into play as to which dice you want to get back from the Citizenry or other options where you choose which dice go where, especially since you're scouting much less worlds that you normally would in Race if you're going for a specific color or whatever. Overall, I'm excited to give it another go, even though I totally expect to be as bad as it as I am in Race. I think if you're a fan of Race and don't mind rolling lots of dice, you'll enjoy Roll well enough.

Anyway, after some dinner I played a quick game of four-player Splendor. Went off to a slower start than the rest since I didn't go heavy in the two colors that came up a lot in the first phase, and I ended up falling behind quickly. I like it for what it is, a simple game without a lot of real depth but a decent way to kill a few minutes.

Last game of the night was my copy of Viticulture with three players. It took several turns to kinda click with everyone, and I didn't realize until three or so years in that grapes and wine age (which I probably should've caught since it's pretty intuitive and all), but it's a pretty nice worker placement game. I'm curious if any buildings are worth it besides the ones that let you grow bigger vines, the Yoke, and the Cellars, since those were the only ones that were built the game (though I can imagine the one that lets you draw an extra card in the Fall would be very useful). I can definitely see even with three players how competitive and cutthroat it can be to do all the actions you want to do, especially in the end where I could've won if I Harvested/Made Wine/Fulfilled an Order with my three workers left, but I knew one of the other players would block me from making wine and I needed the Grande for fulfilling the order, so instead I had to gamble on drawing more Wine Orders, which didn't work out. As a fan of Agricola, I can't wait to see how horrible and cutthroat it gets with four or six players. Grande workers are definitely useful in this game, and I'm glad there's an out that doesn't completely screw you over while still being not enough to bail you out if you decide to go last in turn order. I'm definitely looking forward to trying it again.

So how is Tuscany, anyway? I'll probably try to grab it once I get a couple more games of Viticulture in and when it gets up on CSI or wherever.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Rules Question: If you place a cube during the card phase, do you then get to draw another card? For instance, when I placed a cube on the turn, I used my card draw at the end of the turn to grab the +2 Dominance card, enough to let me place a cube. I assume you could, but it's good to clarify first.

I don't think that particular situation has happened to me but I would agree with your assumption. The manual says that during the advance phase you take one card for every cube you placed on your turn , and since the advance phase is part of your turn (and since gambit cards resolve as soon as you gain them), I would say yes. The past tense wording makes it a bit unclear, and I'd like to see a FAQ address the question, but I think this interpretation of the rules as written seems the most sound.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I'm looking to buy a strategy game with territory building and conflict between players. Preferably one with a strong theme and unique player abilities. I was pretty much decided on Small World, but the more I read about it, the more it seems very, very light, and easily outgrown. My group really enjoy Risk Legacy and Eclipse, so Small World might be too light? I've looked briefly on a few other games. I really want a game playable by more than 2 players (so BattleLore and Mage Wars are no gos), and preferably with good art and cool looking units (no wooden cubes thanks). Any good suggestions? Is RuneWars good?

Bonus question: I've seen many people using round, clear plastic trays for storing tokens in. Like the ones seen in here: http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/v/the-opener-pandemic/. Anybody know where I can buy these?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
trip report on second game of dominion this time with the actual recommended first game setup:

I played lots of money/Smithy/Mine and won the game by some 20 odd points. One other guy bought almost entirely action cards and was at that point drawing and playing much of his entire deck in a single turn, which was endlessly amusing but not particularly efficient and thus he had the lowest score. I have no idea what the third guy was doing he seemed to just buy lots of stuff and he scored somewhere within the middle and in fact just straight up ended the game once he figured it was basically impossible to win since I'd amassed too much of a lead.

mr "draw your entire deck" was having loads of fun but he wants to try and actually do that sort of thing but actually win and I dunno if the third guy was even enjoying the game that much, he seemed a bit peeved that I'd rendered the game a dead man walking at some point because I had too many provinces to conceivably catch up to.

that said still probably going to end up playing it a lot more in future because it's way fun and I want to try the approach where you play a million cards and draw your entire deck too.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 11, 2015

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Are there any other good games that have simultaneous turns like 7 wonders? More and more I'm becoming aware of the downside to long turns or significant setup and tear down times, but I'm also a little burnt out on 7 wonders.

It's not exactly simultaneous, but the "give everybody stuff to do on other players' turns" design of Puerto Rico keeps things moving at a good pace.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

that said still probably going to end up playing it a lot more in future because it's way fun and I want to try the approach where you play a million cards and draw your entire deck too.

You absolutely can do this; it's how a lot of the best strategies work, including in the First Game set. Just a couple basic tips for pulling it off:

• Recognize that it's only part of a winning strategy. Drawing your whole deck is the beginning of your turn, not the end. In Dominion slang, you also have to have a good "payload" for your engine to deliver. "Lots of money and some extra buys" can conceivably work (and is likely to be the backbone), but dig deeper. If there's an attack, you could be playing that attack almost every turn. If there's some wacky card combo, you can count on having all the necessary cards in your hand almost every turn.
  • The basic approach is, get to drawing your deck first, then get your payload. But there are exceptions. Most Attacks want to start early; likewise gainers or +Buy cards that can help you get engine parts faster.
  • Recognize that building a big engine up takes time, and a money opponent will probably already be buying Provinces by the time you have it ready. Expect to be behind on VP early and mount a comeback. Some strategies want to wait until you can get 2, 3, even more Provinces in a turn, although a single Province is sometimes okay if you can do that very reliably every turn. You could even wind up behind on Provinces but making up the difference with a pile of Duchies. If you panic and start buying Provinces much too early because your opponent is, you might gum up the works and sabotage yourself.
  • Chapel.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 11, 2015

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Alex WS posted:

Bonus question: I've seen many people using round, clear plastic trays for storing tokens in. Like the ones seen in here: http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/v/the-opener-pandemic/. Anybody know where I can buy these?

They're petri dishes. Amazon sells them, along with science/school supply places. Craft stores usually have them, too, but don't call them 'petri dishes'. Don't buy the ones with agar on them, though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Achmed Jones posted:

They're petri dishes. Amazon sells them, along with science/school supply places. Craft stores usually have them, too, but don't call them 'petri dishes'. Don't buy the ones with agar on them, though.

Alternately, do, and see if you can start a real-life pandemic.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Alex WS posted:

I'm looking to buy a strategy game with territory building and conflict between players. Preferably one with a strong theme and unique player abilities. I was pretty much decided on Small World, but the more I read about it, the more it seems very, very light, and easily outgrown. My group really enjoy Risk Legacy and Eclipse, so Small World might be too light? I've looked briefly on a few other games. I really want a game playable by more than 2 players (so BattleLore and Mage Wars are no gos), and preferably with good art and cool looking units (no wooden cubes thanks). Any good suggestions? Is RuneWars good?

Kemet rules and hits every one of your points out of the park. As a bonus, it also skips the build-up stage of strategy games and goes right into fighting and vendettas.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Alex WS posted:

The strategy game you're after is Chaos in the Old World, a WH40k board game where the players act as gods of the old world and try to win... I dunno, shoulder pads and skulls?

Anyway, it's asymmetric, area control, hugely driven by theme and is regarded as an excellent game by most. People end up saying "faction A is too strong" every once in a while, but it never seems to be the same faction across play groups, so that implies that it's actually relatively balanced.

And those particular dishes are from the Pandemic: On the Brink expansion. But if you didn't want them for pandemic, they're just regular Petri dishes.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The Supreme Court posted:

Kemet rules and hits every one of your points out of the park. As a bonus, it also skips the build-up stage of strategy games and goes right into fighting and vendettas.

There are unique powers available to buy, not ones baked into each players option. Kemet I think is close but no cigar in this situation. A good option b.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

trip report on second game of dominion this time with the actual recommended first game setup:

I played lots of money/Smithy/Mine and won the game by some 20 odd points. One other guy bought almost entirely action cards and was at that point drawing and playing much of his entire deck in a single turn, which was endlessly amusing but not particularly efficient and thus he had the lowest score. I have no idea what the third guy was doing he seemed to just buy lots of stuff and he scored somewhere within the middle and in fact just straight up ended the game once he figured it was basically impossible to win since I'd amassed too much of a lead.

mr "draw your entire deck" was having loads of fun but he wants to try and actually do that sort of thing but actually win and I dunno if the third guy was even enjoying the game that much, he seemed a bit peeved that I'd rendered the game a dead man walking at some point because I had too many provinces to conceivably catch up to.

What I found useful in the beginning, was once a game was over, take everybody's deck, throw out the VP's bought, and have a look at what they have in it.

Deck size?
Ratio between terminal actions than +2 action?
What do the cantrips do (+1 card +1 action)?
How much money does an average hand draw?
Are there interesting combo's with the cards? If so, what is the chance they end up in one hand?

This should provide some insight for the players if they have built a good deck or not.
Subtleties of when to start greening will come later, or recognize what deck to build in the first place.
First make sure that what they have built is actually decent.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lord Frisk posted:

The strategy game you're after is Chaos in the Old World, a WH40k board game where the players act as gods of the old world and try to win... I dunno, shoulder pads and skulls?

Anyway, it's asymmetric, area control, hugely driven by theme and is regarded as an excellent game by most. People end up saying "faction A is too strong" every once in a while, but it never seems to be the same faction across play groups, so that implies that it's actually relatively balanced.

And those particular dishes are from the Pandemic: On the Brink expansion. But if you didn't want them for pandemic, they're just regular Petri dishes.

CitOW isn't WH40k, it's Warhammer Fantasy. Same four gods, fantasy world not scifi.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

thespaceinvader posted:

CitOW isn't WH40k, it's Warhammer Fantasy. Same four gods, fantasy world not scifi.

Fair enough. I know gently caress all about warhammer outside of shoulder pads and skulls.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Has there been any rumblings if Power Grid Deluxe will be getting the expansions from the original? I'm going to be picking up the base game but I don't want to get the deluxe version if it'll never get the expansions

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Has there been any rumblings if Power Grid Deluxe will be getting the expansions from the original? I'm going to be picking up the base game but I don't want to get the deluxe version if it'll never get the expansions

I am kind if only interested in Power Grid deluxe if it doesn't get the expansions. I don't need a bunch of power grid expansions and the only thing that works keep my self control in check would be of they were incompatible.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Alex WS posted:

You want Twilight Imperium 3 :getin:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12493/twilight-imperium-third-edition

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Twilight Imperium 3 is the game you play if Eclipse is too light for you and/or you have an entire weekend to kill with a bunch of 4X nerds.

Conversely, Eclipse is the best space-themed 4X that isn't Quantum (which I don't think really counts for the first two Xs, but :shrug:) or TI3.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Last game of the night was my copy of Viticulture with three players. It took several turns to kinda click with everyone, and I didn't realize until three or so years in that grapes and wine age (which I probably should've caught since it's pretty intuitive and all), but it's a pretty nice worker placement game. I'm curious if any buildings are worth it besides the ones that let you grow bigger vines, the Yoke, and the Cellars, since those were the only ones that were built the game (though I can imagine the one that lets you draw an extra card in the Fall would be very useful). I can definitely see even with three players how competitive and cutthroat it can be to do all the actions you want to do, especially in the end where I could've won if I Harvested/Made Wine/Fulfilled an Order with my three workers left, but I knew one of the other players would block me from making wine and I needed the Grande for fulfilling the order, so instead I had to gamble on drawing more Wine Orders, which didn't work out. As a fan of Agricola, I can't wait to see how horrible and cutthroat it gets with four or six players. Grande workers are definitely useful in this game, and I'm glad there's an out that doesn't completely screw you over while still being not enough to bail you out if you decide to go last in turn order. I'm definitely looking forward to trying it again.

So how is Tuscany, anyway? I'll probably try to grab it once I get a couple more games of Viticulture in and when it gets up on CSI or wherever.

I can't swear this is true in advanced play, since we were all newbies too, but the person that won our first game of Viticulture hardly filled a wine order all game and scored a bunch of their points off the Windmill and Tasting Room (they had visitors that let them build those cheaply well before the rest of us).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

malkav11 posted:

I can't swear this is true in advanced play, since we were all newbies too, but the person that won our first game of Viticulture hardly filled a wine order all game and scored a bunch of their points off the Windmill and Tasting Room (they had visitors that let them build those cheaply well before the rest of us).

It's a viable strategy. The guy who tried it in our first game finished fourth of five on 21 points (the top two both had 25, third was 22), but that could have turned into a win with better knowledge of the game. Harvesting a couple of small grapes early on and letting them mature into filling one big order in the endgame can make up several points, and because you've been doing a lot of tours you should have more money for the tiebreaker. However, it may be less economical in terms of actions than hammering out cheap orders for maximum residuals.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Holey moley, that can't be standard setup for eight players. The homeworlds are only two spaces apart? Madness.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm pretty sure that's only 6 players.

Oh wait, I counted the colors wrong. Wow, that is 8 players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jedit posted:

It's a viable strategy. The guy who tried it in our first game finished fourth of five on 21 points (the top two both had 25, third was 22), but that could have turned into a win with better knowledge of the game. Harvesting a couple of small grapes early on and letting them mature into filling one big order in the endgame can make up several points, and because you've been doing a lot of tours you should have more money for the tiebreaker. However, it may be less economical in terms of actions than hammering out cheap orders for maximum residuals.
It's interesting from a conceptual standpoint. "Everyone around me is getting into the wine-making business, why would I try to shoulder in on them when I could just sell their wine?"