Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The marketing speak in that video is a bit insufferable, but gently caress those lights are cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WvK5WC4ns0

just stop holy gently caress those are cool

Goddamn that is awesome.

rscott posted:

650 yards seems kind of excessive but all that other poo poo is cool as hell god drat

19 seconds of forward visibility at 75mph, that's pretty insane. I'm used to two to three (lol my vehicles have lovely lights).

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

BlackMK4 posted:

Goddamn that is awesome.

19 seconds of forward visibility at 75mph, that's pretty insane. I'm used to two to three (lol my vehicles have lovely lights).

Yeah, except if you live in the US, you'll never see this technology on the roads due to our archaic regulations about headlights. Those adaptive systems have been around forever, and every maker wants to bring them here. Toyota even filed a petition with the NHTSA. Yet our laws still mandate a low and high beam, and don't leave room for technology like adaptive headlights.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That pedestrian illumination is hilarious. I can't wait until my car can blast poors in the face while they wait for their bus.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

revmoo posted:

That pedestrian illumination is hilarious. I can't wait until my car can blast poors in the face while they wait for their bus.

That's the thing, you'd need a hack for that. By default/by design the new lighting system SPARES the poors from beholding your mastery of the elements. :(

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I thought the video said it has cutout for other cars and illumination for pedestrians/deer?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

revmoo posted:

I thought the video said it has cutout for other cars and illumination for pedestrians/deer?

Oh, I was thinking of the poors driving the other, obviously inferior, cars on the road. Screw those walking, they are no more than deer themselves.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I hope on the higher end models it actually brands the deer/poor with the roundel.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What sort of work would a E46 325iX touring need at or after 175k miles? How long would it's practical lifespan be?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I think the video said it illuminates pedestrians and "wildlife" with infrared illumination out to 110 yards presumably so the night vision system can better see them.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

blk posted:

What sort of work would a E46 325iX touring need at or after 175k miles? How long would it's practical lifespan be?

Depends on how well the car has been kept up and what work has been done on it recently. I know the AWD E46s have their own share of problems and I'm not all that familiar with them specifically, but if the car has been properly maintained you'd probably just be looking at the usual E46 stuff: cooling system components, valve cover/oil filter housing gaskets, etc. I'd probably want to do a PPI unless the car is super cheap, but if there aren't any major problems then I don't see why it couldn't last you quite a while. There are plenty of people running around with M54s with 250k+ miles on them, and I've been running into a ton of cars with that mileage for sale over these last few days.

You should definitely expect to put some money into the car unless the previous owner was incredibly meticulous with his maintenance, though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Viper_3000 posted:

Yeah, except if you live in the US, you'll never see this technology on the roads due to our archaic regulations about headlights. Those adaptive systems have been around forever, and every maker wants to bring them here. Toyota even filed a petition with the NHTSA. Yet our laws still mandate a low and high beam, and don't leave room for technology like adaptive headlights.

Eh? Modern BMWs already have adaptive headlights.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BlackMK4 posted:

We have headlights that can move around but the technology they are talking about is illegal. BMW already has this for the xenons. It can detect where oncoming cars are and turn on various lights to not dazzle them. This is currently illegal in the US.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
For those of you with N63s BMW has a customer care bulletin out for checking/replacing a bunch of things to make sure everything is alright

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

BlackMK4 posted:

Adaptive in the sense that they can self-level and turn to illuminate curves. The systems you're seeing BMW/Audi/Mercs/Toyota(Lexus) use that selectively illuminate the road using automatic switching between low and high beams and splitting light around cars and pedestrians aren't currently legal in the US due to our laws.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
You won't get it out of the box, but people seem to be able to code it on cars that come to the US with LED lights.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Should I buy an e30 318i with a slush box as a winter beater? What would you pay for such a thing?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Had a bit of help changing out the alternator on my 02 e39...thing was in a terrible state having power steering fluid leaking all over it for ages.

I've no mechanical experience. After removing the air box and power steering reservoir and reading all sorts of step-by-steps, it seemed as though one would need to remove either fan or fan shroud...but a few mates with way more experience than I just loosened the tensioners, popped the old one out and a shiny new(er) one in with hardly any fuss at all.
Then they left and I performed some maintenance on both hoses connecting the PS reservoir, popped everything back together and voltage readout on the instrument cluster looks good again. We'll see how it behaves...

I guess the DIY for alternator replacement involves steps with the fan because they're treating it as a one-man job...I'm really glad I had some help...and also that there isn't any sort of "clean it up before you send it back to us" requisites for the core refund. :V

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PaintVagrant posted:

Should I buy an e30 318i with a slush box as a winter beater? What would you pay for such a thing?

Like $1k.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Anywhere from fifteen dollars to sixty thousand dollars.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Like $1k.

Only if the body/interior is in nice shape, I paid a grand for a 325es auto

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Its going to be significantly cheaper than that if I actually buy it. AC blower sounds like doom metal, and the brakes are loving terrible, but otherwise it seems in pretty decent shape. Almost no rust, its an 85 318 which is the m10 engine, which apparently has a timing chain?

My visit got cut off because the dude had to go to his daugters recital or some poo poo, but im taking a look at it again tomorrow. I feel like for the minimal investment its either a decent beater that looks super easy to work on ( so much room in the engine bay!) and I could prob part it out and make my money back if it doesnt work out.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The M10 is going to be a dog from hell... But its dead rear end simple enough. I don't know how much of a bitch it is to replace the blower but if its rust free and decently clean your bound to either break even or money ahead.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Basically if it has heat and doesnt explode on the test drive Ill prob buy it. m10 is a total dog but looks about as easy to work on as most lawnmowers.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Definitely easier than an M62. I keep kicking around the idea of a beater E30 and then I realize I hate myself and want a beater Jjjjjaaaagggg instead.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Just work on my cars instead :wink:

giznot
Jun 10, 2004

ok

POKEMAN SAM posted:

Here's another shot I did of my not-a-real-BMW. Another rainy day, but I picked up a new camera lens since last time and learned how to gently caress with raw photo formats a bit.

Bigger (1800x1200)

Jesus, that's quite a color.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Blower motors are like $200+ for the off brand poo poo, genuine bmw is $500+, I've been driving without heat all loving winter because of that poo poo

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

rscott posted:

Blower motors are like $200+ for the off brand poo poo, genuine bmw is $500+, I've been driving without heat all loving winter because of that poo poo

Good to know, I didnt end up buying it, I just decided to put that money towards my E39 rather than add to my fleet of badly running BMWs :v:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

rscott posted:

I bought a genuine BMW blower motor for my E46 for $113.68 from Tischer (getbmwparts.com).

Odd thing is that if you go by the E46 part number it is $500+ but the same blower motor using the X3 part number is 1/5 the price. Literally the only difference between the two is the mounting bracket to hold it in place that it comes with, and you can just use the old one already in your car. Tischer confirmed it before I ordered it. Been running problem-free in my car for 1.5 years.

Maybe there's something similarly stupid for E30s.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
My GDCS refresh/upgrade from ECS came in today. Complete with Mishimoto rad and stewart water pump. Surely this will remedy any cooling problems for the next couple of years.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

So I discovered today that my E46 is the most incredible loving hodge-podge of parts you could possibly imagine. Allow me to explain; in cars made after September of 2001, BMW made a number of revisions to all kinds of parts and systems in the E46. It turns out that my car, with its production date of August 30th, 2001, has a mix of pre-revision and post-revision parts in it. For example, My front right turn signal lens was broken by a piece of gravel recently. I ordered the proper turn signal lens assembly, based on date of production and lo and behold, it's the wrong part; my car has the revised assemblies. They weren't replaced either, as both the parts on the car have production dates within two weeks of the car's production date.

On the other hand, the head unit in my car (which was also revised for 9/01 and later cars) is most definitely an early unit, having looked into that when I was looking to buy a DICE unit.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 14, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

rscott posted:

My heater valve has corroded shut; I think the heater valves are NLA now. I'm glad winter isn't too bad here in Arizona.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Blower motor chat: I, too, put the X3 motor in my E46. Works great! Also, you have to remove the loving intake manifold to get the goddamn thing out on the S54.

Secondly, coding loving rules. I was sick last weekend so I just decided to try coding some poo poo on Sunday afternoon because I didn't want to really do anything. Accomplishments include:

Activating M-track mode (but configuring for standard brakes and steering rack!)
Enabling bluetooth
Enabling the alarm (no siren, but flashy lights and flashy clown nose!)
One-touch window open AND close and front and rear windows
Disabling hot/cold monitoring of bulbs that I had replaced with LEDs
Various door lock/buzzer/lighting behavior
Intermittent wipers as the rain sensor is apparently broken

So ya poo poo's amazing. I've already flashed to the CSL SMG code, so my next step is to start tweaking the Euro DME with the CSL engine rev-match data and stuff.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

sofullofhate posted:

This is only partially correct.

The "VANOS rattle" happens at part-throttle transitions around 3k RPM. It's a symptom of one of a couple of potential issues (VANOS gear wear, loose cam gear bolts). On the S54, it does sound a lot like rocks in a coffee can. But VANOS issues can cause symptoms across the entire RPM range.

Given the amount of cam timing adjustment that VANOS can provide (S54 dual VANOS: 60* intake, 45* exhaust), when the system fails past the "rattle" stage, lots of really bad poo poo can happen. It usually starts presenting as the engine seeming down on power, but can progress to all kinds of weirdness around power delivery, and of course in a very bad case can result in valve-piston interference.

Definitely do some logging and look for the ECU pulling timing around where you feel jerky acceleration. FWIW on a friend's car a similar problem was solved by simply changing the plugs.

Since I had the new fuel pump, I replaced it this last weekend. Today has been the first clear day and it drove so much better. Before when I drove around with the rear seat out I could hear what sounded like bearings going bad in the pump. The new pump is much quieter. Once I put a new filter in it I think Ill get the injectors balanced for the hell of it but god drat I forgot what a nice fun car this is when its running well.

wigbot v2.0
Oct 10, 2008

Hales
Who's had a wiper on their e46 randomly jump off the screen half way through the down-stroke? The driver side, which then rests on the passenger side wiper at the bottom. It is infuriating. About 1 in 3.

Any ideas?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Mine has a spot that it misses if I try to use one of the blades that's just curved and doesn't have the leaf spring type thing holding pressure across the blade. Is that what you're talking about?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

wigbot v2.0 posted:

Who's had a wiper on their e46 randomly jump off the screen half way through the down-stroke? The driver side, which then rests on the passenger side wiper at the bottom. It is infuriating. About 1 in 3.

Any ideas?

Only when I used those poo poo-tier Bosch wiper blades.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

MrChips posted:

Only when I used those poo poo-tier Bosch wiper blades.
A shop I took my e46 to a couple years ago put incredibly poo poo wipers on my car so it would pass inspection, and the rubber dry rotted in a short time. I replaced them with Bosch Icon wipers and they've been on the car for a little over a year now, and still work well. The car stays outside and is in Texas. Cheap wipers are no good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
It happened boys. I think the expansion tank decided to poo poo the bed. I'm sitting here at 1am awaiting a two mile tow. GDCS.

Shogunner fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 16, 2015