Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, EU3 was probably the first game I ever bought digitally. I also remember being one of those people who was very upset when the jump to Steam came, but for the life of me I have no idea why now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
This thread is making me feel old for coming into Paradox with EU2, although the event driven nature never clicked and I never got any further than maybe 15 years in. CKDV and Ricky completely engaged me though, and EU3 was mind blowing every time it turned into a new game with each expansion. I spent so much of the summer after In Nomine came out playing my housemate was really confused why it seemed like I was always staring at maps.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I got into Paradox games because of GalCiv2.

Basically, I went looking for the GalCiv2 forums for some reason or another while I was playing it, came across the Paradox forums for them, noticed their "AAR" section, and enjoyed myself there. I went on to skim the rest of the Paradox forums for AARs, found some I liked and some I didn't, and eventually read up on enough reports of EU2 that when I finally got around to picking up EU3 (with at least one expansion out at the time, I think), I was able to play it reasonably well without too much mucking about in the tutorial.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

My first Pdox game was EU1 in like 2000. A friend borrowed it to me and I remember liking it. After that I tried HOI2 but nothing really substantial until I saw that EU3 was coming soon. I got it at launch and never looked back. I remember there being an uproar at Pdox forums because EU was now dynamic instead of historically driven by events. Never tried EU2, CK1 and Ricky which is a shame.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
EU1 crew represent :agesilaus:

I WAS SO CONFUSED

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I posted it in the EU4 thread, but I don't think it fits.

I'm resuming work on my old mod from way back http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3526017&pagenumber=315&perpage=40#post418870344

Jesus, way back alright...

I'm stumped on only one real thing though. With the addition of all these wonderful expansions (I last played euiv when none were out, bought all of the up to AoW over the holiday sale and holy poo poo what a diff), I've got loads of better ways to implement lots of stuff. I can keep 4chan and related sites dealing with realistic problems like constantly high autonomy, I can make migrating blogs and geocities, and even pull some weird poo poo with factions. But biggest of all, personal dieties, and multiple papacies. That's where I'm stuck though, the gently caress should religions be in this context? Taking things to be their philosophical equivalent of the main game for most of it is easy, the concept of a 'national idea' would lose the part of national long before idea going back in history, and are identity pieces of your collective, along with focuses of it's administrational powers., Government is easily abstractable to the means of authority and law at it's most basic and it easily applicable to even something like this. Trade never changes, people want and pay for poo poo, the poo poo changes instead. Military is smoothed over to 'offensive actions' ala our IRL Cold War. It all just leaves me absolutely stumped on what religions should represent though, and I've racked my head over this for far too long today. I hate to be that modder who looks for other people to define poo poo for him, but even something to go on to define an internet website equivalent to religion, something that still allows for reformation-likes, fervor, and 'personal dieties'.

In short, I really could use some help with that part. The rest i can bang out myself with some time on alcohol if necessary.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
What got me into Paradox games was reading somewhere that yoh could export from Rome to CK to EU to Vicky to HOI. I never found any way to convert from Rome to EU, but I did find Hohenzollern, after which I slowly accumulated EU3, Vicky 2, CK, then sadly HOI3. I have release day bought every game or major expansion since.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

StealthArcher posted:

In short, I really could use some help with that part. The rest i can bang out myself with some time on alcohol if necessary.

You could have a religious group that is Political (so that SA would be Marxist, reddit Libertarian, and so on), 4chan's would be Anonimity, tumblr's Social Justice... Fervour could fit well with both Anonimity and Social Justice come to think of it. A Google catholicism would have to be Googlism with all the Google-owned sites (Google+, YouTube and so on) ascribing to it.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I found EU1 shortly after it's release through the Apolyton Civilization forums and was won over by the AARs posted on the official site. I bought every game up through CK2, except HoI3 and the small games (Sengoku, Diplomacy. .)

I have fond memories of playing EU2 MP in high school and dividing the world between us as Austria and Ottomans, then loading as England n France to take down our monsters.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
I discovered Paradox games from a CK1 LP on this forum (the LPer was playing as Venice, I forgot who it was though). After buying and playing it for ten minutes I was like 'what the hell it's realtime and you have no control over the battles, this sucks' and stopped. The next day I decided to give it another chance, and well, here I am.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Wiz posted:

'what the hell it's realtime and you have no control over the battles, this sucks'

And then you implemented that philosophy in EU4 by making the AI cheat at dicerolls.

vvvvvv But aren't Paradox games the true gateway games for proper grognard games like War in the East?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I got my start in Paradox with Crusader Kings 2. I read the one dude's tutorial LP where he played as someone in Ireland, and found it fascinating that you could be anyone and that the game was literally in real time, with days advancing in seconds. Coming from having played games like Civ, this struck me as the most ambitious, absurd idea imaginable. I was hooked! Having bought CK2, I played it for months on end, and then I began to branch off into harder stuff like Victoria 2.

My story is just a tale of growing grognard game addiction. You start off with "gateway games" like Civ2 or SimCity and wind up here at Paradox. :negative:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

DrSunshine posted:

My story is just a tale of growing grognard game addiction. You start off with "gateway games" like Civ2 or SimCity and wind up here at Paradox. :negative:

Oh yeah, Paradox has definitely been a gateway drug for me into more grognardy games. I've gone full-swing over to WitP and grognard stuff on that level now.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

StealthArcher posted:

I posted it in the EU4 thread, but I don't think it fits.

I'm resuming work on my old mod from way back http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3526017&pagenumber=315&perpage=40#post418870344

Jesus, way back alright...

I'm stumped on only one real thing though. With the addition of all these wonderful expansions (I last played euiv when none were out, bought all of the up to AoW over the holiday sale and holy poo poo what a diff), I've got loads of better ways to implement lots of stuff. I can keep 4chan and related sites dealing with realistic problems like constantly high autonomy, I can make migrating blogs and geocities, and even pull some weird poo poo with factions. But biggest of all, personal dieties, and multiple papacies. That's where I'm stuck though, the gently caress should religions be in this context? Taking things to be their philosophical equivalent of the main game for most of it is easy, the concept of a 'national idea' would lose the part of national long before idea going back in history, and are identity pieces of your collective, along with focuses of it's administrational powers., Government is easily abstractable to the means of authority and law at it's most basic and it easily applicable to even something like this. Trade never changes, people want and pay for poo poo, the poo poo changes instead. Military is smoothed over to 'offensive actions' ala our IRL Cold War. It all just leaves me absolutely stumped on what religions should represent though, and I've racked my head over this for far too long today. I hate to be that modder who looks for other people to define poo poo for him, but even something to go on to define an internet website equivalent to religion, something that still allows for reformation-likes, fervor, and 'personal dieties'.

Your link just goes to a map, but based on the context of your message its a mod based on the internet?

Religion could represent web hosts. Every site has to have a web host and people's opinions vary wildly based on which ones to choose. Or maybe a better idea is it could represent the Internet Service Providers themselves for similar reasons. That might make it more fun, religion of Comcast, AT&T, Cox, etc. You could even have heretical ISPs pop up and represent some smaller players (Wide Open West) and have a big reformation in 202#-204# when Google finally becomes an ISP. Sites with the most ISP Lobbyists get to control the direction the company takes? Or can kick other sites off the network. (Excommunication)

Similarly, Operating Systems the web servers run on can instill a certain level of "fervor" out of people, but you end up with only the big 3. Unix however would be funny due to all the different heresy's. The leading operating system suffers from large amounts of "hacks" due to the popularity of the systems.

PhantomZero fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 11, 2015

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

GrossMurpel posted:

vvvvvv But aren't Paradox games the true gateway games for proper grognard games like War in the East?

That's true!! I haven't taken the plunge yet into War in the East (war simulations aren't really my thing, to be honest), but maybe I will, someday. My thing is more political and economic simulations, so if someone makes a game somehow on the level of WitE but about diplomacy and economics, I would be all over that poo poo. So far the closest thing to that that scratches that itch is V2, so that's why I'm really hoping Paradox does V3 someday.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I first played EU3 back when I was running some alt-history RPG and needed a blank world map to fill in, which led me to the Europa Universalis province map. I was curious about what kind of game it was, so I gave it a shot, around the time of IN. Paradox has been devouring chunks of my lifetime since then.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
My pdox collection started with my inner grog buying HOI1 and loving it..... Then convincing a roommate at college to pick it up so we could conqueror the world as two underdog nations.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

`Sup, buddy. :smug::respek::smug:

I've been a member of the Paradox forums since early 2001 and was apparently one the first couple thousand to register, which is pretty cool given it looks like they've got nearly a million members now!

:paradoxregdate:

GrossMurpel posted:

My gateway was a review of Clash of Steel in an early 1990s issue of Computer Gaming World, when I was a kid. I don't remember how I got linked to EU1, but I do remember poking around the old website trying to figure out if it was worth buying.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
EU1 was the first game that let you play as
<---------Serbia, so naturally my mind was blown. I randomly picked up EU1 because the year 2000 was a wasteland where "strategy games" meant "dumb comand-and-conquer clones" and I just went for everything that wasn't a clickety click RTS. Boy was I pleasantly surprised!

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I want the end game of HOI4 to be hella fun where people are slinging wesserfalls, Me-262s, P-80s, and using M103s and T-54s to fight on the ground.

:sigh: I can dream

I think I started playing HOI3 in 2010? EUIII in 2010?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

When will Paradox finally make Airfix Dogfighter 2: Electric Boogaloo? :smith:

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Cowcatcher posted:

EU1 was the first game that let you play as
<---------Serbia, so naturally my mind was blown. I randomly picked up EU1 because the year 2000 was a wasteland where "strategy games" meant "dumb comand-and-conquer clones" and I just went for everything that wasn't a clickety click RTS. Boy was I pleasantly surprised!

Also this, I was super excited that you could play as the Commonwealth (or Poland-Lithuania as the game called it back then). At the time I was first getting into the early modern period, and having played RTSes and Civ, I began to daydream about a strategy game that would depict the awesome stuff I was learning in history, with exploration and husaria and puffy sleeves. And then EU came out and it was like nothing anyone had ever seen, my tiny group of history nerds at school immediately got into it. We may not have been any good with girls, but we could still spend a good part of puberty discussing our respective conquests :unsmith:

We kinda take the Paradox style of games for granted these days, but EU1, with its scope, ambition and historicity, was really one of those revolutionary titles that only get recognized as such years after the fact.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I bought the Mac version of Victoria 1 and even though I had absolutely no idea what I was doing and basically got nowhere, it made a huge impression on me-- I was fascinated by the huge scope of the game, by seeing a whole little world tick away through its own alternate history, by the whole feel of being some 19th century potentate dispassionately sending thousands of soldiers to their doom on some far-off corner of the map while the soundtrack plays a waltz.

Then, years and years later, I bought EU3 and its expansions on Steam and was all like, hey, it's like that Victoria game except it's something a human being can actually play and enjoy!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I was inspired by the Kingdom of Jerusalem and Texas LPs to try Ricky for the first time, after which I tried EU3 and CK1 in short order.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I picked up what I can only conclude was a "dodgy" copy of Hearts of Iron at a car boot sale, as they call it here. And it went from there.

I sometimes wish it hadn't, because now I have to watch my friends commit crimes against borders. They just won't stop :(.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
As a freshman in high school, a classmate told me about Hearts of Iron II. Time flies.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

A friend had been constantly talking up Victoria for me, and his adventures of Britain landing waves after waves of troops in Boston to be immediately massacred because the AI in Vicky was never too good with amphibious assaults (not that it mattered due to the infinite amount of troops the UK had in Vicky).

He brought me a copy of the Strategy 6 pack and everything just kinda rolled from there. EU2 kept me engaged for hours even if I sucked at it. Just being able to poke around everywhere in the actual world was such a different and enjoyable experience against the completely imagined worlds of CIVlikes and RTSes.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

I started Paradox games after reading Wiz's Azerbaijan LP and looking at the Crusader Kings II Tutorial Megathread. It was just when Rajas of India came out and I ended up doing the tutorial for the place. Now I'm running a Mega Campaign as Afghanistan.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
I played svea rike when it first came out in 1997 and I was 8-9 years old, you could borrow it at the local library, so I just kept borrowing it again and again. Then I got EU 1 for my birthday the same year that came out(2000?) after I had read about it in a PC gamer. Since then I think I have played all paradox released grand strategy games except HoI 1.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I read a CK1 AAR (WHAT LPs WERE CALLED BEFORE THEY WERE LPs :mad:) while bored one day and in my highschool's library (this was around ~2006?) and instantly started writing my own after purchasing the game that same day. I had several on paradox's forums and not a single one of them got more than ~10 updates.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I first got into Paradox games (excluding games Paradox only published, that is) a few years ago when a couple of friends and I wanted a world domination game that we could all work together in as underdog nations, which eventually led me to this thread's predecessor where you all (primarily gradenko I believe) sold me on Darkest Hour.

This was followed by me (Argentina) and my friends (Brazil and Canada) taking over South and Central America (and inadvertedly starting WW2, as some of our early conquests triggered some crazy butterfly effect that led to Nazi Germany being attacked by France and some non-Allied nations), then attempting to take on the US, which ended in the bloody battle at Corpus Christi, where the Brazilian, Argentine and US armies met and faced off against one another, until, when the battle started to turn our way, the US decided to take a break from dropping atomic bombs on the other side of the 49th parallel to drop multiple aromic bombs on the region (and surrounds) that the battle took place in, decimating their forces as well as our own. :black101:
It was a sad day for both sides, but well, the Germans seemed thrilled as they mounted an attack on the US, which was then followed by a British attack on the German-held territories.
Up until when we stopped playing a single German army had managed to survive in the US by racing around avoiding the US army, the British had re-established colonies in and around Norfolk (much to the Americans' chagrin) in the formerly German-occupied territories, as well as our alliance starting a rocket and nuclear weapons testing facility on the Galapogas Islands.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I remember seeing a boxed copy of EU(2?) in a Best Buy and being intrigued, and I remember seeing an article on HoI(1?) in an issue of PCGamer, but I didn't get into Paradox games until sometime in late 2005 during my freshman year of college. I've forgotten what got me into HoI2 that fall, but I was hooked badly. I wasted hundreds of hours on that game, and then Doomsday came out and made it even better, and then I got Vicky and CK1, barely started in on EU2 when EU3 was announced...

I blame Paradox for being put on academic suspension for the fall 2006 semester.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Up to about... 5 or 4 years ago or so, I used to frequent 4chan's videogames board, there were threads on Hearts of Iron II from time to time. I saw screenshots of what was essentially map painting with armies and was pretty much instantly intrigued. I eventually found Wiz's Hohenzollern LP in the archive, and that got me into EU3, and well, that's all been the early parts of a domino effect that also got me to develop interests in politics and history (and those have their own branching out that's constantly going on).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I found an EU2 thread on... some forum somewhere, I don't even remember where. And it was intriguing, but then I learned that only months before EU3 had come out, so I hunted that down.

Then, blown away by the fact that you could play as anyone but unaware that playing as "just anyone" was really kind of dumb, I immediately started up a game as the Iroquois. And was promptly bored out of my skull, so I set the game aside for a few months, then was reminded of it later and picked it back up and said "maybe this time I'll play someone more interesting, like England," and it was all downhill from there.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I don't even remember why I started playing EU3 but when I did, HttT was already out, so I got to know the game at its almost complete stage already.
The concept of having the game end instead of being infinite seemed dumb to me at the time, so I immediately installed Rise of Nations and played my first game all the way to 2100 or so.
Since then, I have never even come close to the end date of a Paradox game :v:

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

I started on vanilla HoI2 as the UK. I was so proud when my doomstacks of light tanks that I'd researched years ahead of their design date kept the entire German army bottled up in a single mountainous province in Norway. Even managed to start trying to interdict supplies when I realized I was never going to be able to break that stalemate with brute force. Of course the game ended with the Russian army waltzing over an undefended Europe when Germany declared war on the USSR anyway but still! Learning experience.

Then moved to vanilla EU3 and despite how unpolished and frankly boring it was got more than a hundred hours into it before the first expansion came out. That game seriously came a long way. Speaking of which has anyone ever recreated the scenarios from Miscmods? Virtually empty Europe and every other tech group modernized sounds like a pretty fun game right now.

Edit: Oh my god only just discovered you can choose to upgrade units in DH into other types of units. My militia armies as the CSA/India/China are no longer useless after their first wars!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

ArchRanger posted:

I started on vanilla HoI2 as the UK. I was so proud when my doomstacks of light tanks that I'd researched years ahead of their design date kept the entire German army bottled up in a single mountainous province in Norway. Even managed to start trying to interdict supplies when I realized I was never going to be able to break that stalemate with brute force. Of course the game ended with the Russian army waltzing over an undefended Europe when Germany declared war on the USSR anyway but still! Learning experience.

Then moved to vanilla EU3 and despite how unpolished and frankly boring it was got more than a hundred hours into it before the first expansion came out. That game seriously came a long way. Speaking of which has anyone ever recreated the scenarios from Miscmods? Virtually empty Europe and every other tech group modernized sounds like a pretty fun game right now.

Edit: Oh my god only just discovered you can choose to upgrade units in DH into other types of units. My militia armies as the CSA/India/China are no longer useless after their first wars!

Now start upgrading all of them into Cav :getin:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

I WAS SO CONFUSED

I started playing Paradox games with EU1 but it wasn't until HOI2 that I realized that you could right-click the country flags to play as EVERYONE. :magical:

I was a very stupid kid.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ArchRanger posted:

Oddly enough, DH militia are pretty good units. A strong strategy for Japan is to spam militia all over China - you can often win before the US enters the war.

Militia are basically dirt-cheap mountaineer units - excellent in nasty terrain (EG the Chinese interior)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ArchRanger posted:

Careful with that as the CSA. Assuming you mean the Syndicates in Kaiserreich, my memory is that your militia all vanish after the civil war ends.

• Locked thread