Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

F. Lobot posted:

They're doing everything they can to not be taken seriously.

It's Touhou, though, no one's taking them seriously anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Nothing says fun like an attack that freezes the other player in place for like ten seconds.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Rorus Raz posted:

Nothing says fun like an attack that freezes the other player in place for like ten seconds.

It honestly just look like a boss character vs ZeldaShiek

It may have gotten more groundswell a few years ago before Dolphin got better and wide-spread of tutorials on loading project M / melee into dolphin.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Any tips on getting better for someone who's at around 30% winrate? :negative:

I'm trying to main Falco at the moment, but am I right in that he kinda sucks? His attacks are all very slow, his recovery is pretty rubbish, his jab can be interrupted even after the first hit, his movespeed is very slow and he has a hard time actually killing... On the other hand, if I can get good at him I should be able to get good at all better characters.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Your Computer posted:

I'm trying to main Falco at the moment, but am I right in that he kinda sucks? His attacks are all very slow, his recovery is pretty rubbish, his jab can be interrupted even after the first hit, his movespeed is very slow and he has a hard time actually killing... On the other hand, if I can get good at him I should be able to get good at all better characters.

I probably wouldn't start out with Falco. He can be good and I've definitely played good Falcos but I'd say he's more difficult to master than most.

Honestly, the most important part of beating people is to be able to read them. Having the basics down, when to shield, when to dodge, when to chase, etc, is important but that's something you can more or less perfect with a few days of practice. What differentiates the good players from the bad is how effectively you can adapt in the moment. Just be aware that the other player is a human with their own bad habits and strategies. Once you can recognize that and start predicting their reactions you'll start winning a lot more.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
What exactly are you supposed to spend the coins on in Smash besides gambling? I have 40k coins and I'm not really sure what to do with them besides gamble with them and get more coins.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

What exactly are you supposed to spend the coins on in Smash besides gambling? I have 40k coins and I'm not really sure what to do with them besides gamble with them and get more coins.

Trophy Rush. Trophy Shop. Trophy Wives.

Crazy Orders.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

go through master orders and do all the easy events with custom moves. inbetween, buy trophies at the shop.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.

Your Computer posted:

Oh man time to make an effort post.

Falco is definitely not top tier, but he's not too bad either. I play him as my 'second' behind Ganon. More than other characters however he definitely requires you to be well acquainted with some more medium-level techniques (short hopping, ledge trumping, off stage kills) than many other characters, so I wouldn't recommend you start with him. I imagine you will ignore that last bit of advice and carry on anyway, so at the risk of this post being formatted poorly, Im just gonna go down attack by attack and offer comments.

Ground:
Neutral A Combo: Quick, high priority and a good source of damage. Keep in mind that you can throw out the first two jabs without having to commit to the spin, so avoid spamming the A button when the enemy is near. You should aim to launch two exploratory jabs and then see if you want to spin after that. Err on the side of releasing early to ensure you get the 'combo finisher'
Side Titlt: Fast, dece range. Good to interrupt enemies nearby and create some breathing room. Use this liberally.
Uptilt: Spammable against fast falling enemies at low percents. Generous hit box around you, and can hit larger enemies even if they are behind you.
Down Tilt: Short ranged, but a good launcher. If you feel you can overpower the other player in the air, use this to get them up there.
Side Smash: Strong, decent range and a good finisher. Your go to smash as it launches enemies off stage, where you can followup and secure the kill.
Up Smash: Situational. You can do it out of a run, but as it's a two part attack it will not always connect as intended. Can kill, but is not something you want to use on a regular basis.
Down Smash: Also situational. Launches opponents off stage at a low angle, but is shorter ranged than side smash. Good for predicting rolls in front of/behind you, but not much else.

Air:
Neutral A: Fast, longer active frames and decent knockback. Good to interrupt other characters in the air, and as a followup to a throw or hit. The longer active frames also mean its easier to land against someone spamming air dodge. Don't rely on it to kill though.
Fair: A drill type move, the first few hits tend to keep the opponent locked in as the last his has good knockback. It has an odd start up and terrible landing lag, so make sure to use it when you have a generous amount of air time below you (e.g. after a high jump). It can kill, but don't rely on it.
Dair: Monstrous meteor smash. It is however, very difficult to land due to its start up and small sweet spot. The sour spot however makes it a good bet for punishing a player recovering low, as it may knock them into the stage if it doesn't smash them down to their death. Do not perform on a grounded enemy, as the hitstun is not enough to guarantee safety on your part (the attack does not appear to 'bounce' the enemy as other spikes do if you land it against a grounded enemy).
Bair: The aerial you want to be using the most. It knocks enemies almost completely horizontally making it your number 1 edge guard move. It also has a sweet spot that kills at surprisingly low percent. Short hop it. Full hop it. Spam it off the stage. Get it out there.
Uair: Good as a follow up if your enemy has gone up too high, but not a good finisher unless you're already near the top of the stage.

Specials:
Neutral B: Not really that good. At range, spam it in bursts of two for some easy damage against all-melee foes. It has a long recovery, so err on the side of stopping the laser stream early rather than later.
Side B: Your main recovery tool. It no longer puts you in a recovery state, so you can use aerials or your up b after its done. If your opponent is getting set up at the ledge, the horizontal recovery is enough that you can just recovery high on to the middle of the stage if they've committed to something. Keep in mind you can side b directly to the ledge, if you aren't doing that already. It also spikes if you catch someone in it, and you can get fancy spiking someone with side b then use up be to recovery (assuming you side b toward the stage) but this is risky.
Down B: The forward kick of the shine doesn't do a lot of damage but it does trip opponents. Unfortunately due to the end of the lag, this doesn't do anything particularly useful for you. You can use it to interrupt dash type attacks/specials (I believe it will knock Ganon and Capt. F out of their side Bs for exmample) but you still pretty much use it for reflecting stuff.
Up B: You use this to recovery vertically. Don't use it for anything else.

I believe Falco has the highest natural jump in the game along with having a wall jump, so it's worth it to get well acquainted to learn just how far off (and below) stage you can go and still get back. This will be very helpful in securing kills. It's worth learning just how high you can throw your aerials out, because Falco covers so much vertical distance so quickly you can catch people off guard with a super high Uair or Bair. if they are recovering high.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Waverhouse posted:

Oh man time to make an effort post.

Excellent :getin:

I'm by no means a beginner, I've played Smash since the first game on the N64 but I haven't learned a lot of "tech" since I've never had any problem beating any of my friends. Now, with online play I'm getting crushed :P I'm decent at short-hopping, but I could stand to get better at the rest. A lot of the characters I like seem to have good-to-amazing Bairs, but I'm having a hard time using it. I'm assuming it's possible to somehow run, turn, jump and Bair while keeping forward momentum? Or are you just supposed to keep your back to your enemy (seems a bit.. obvious)?

Thanks for the great summary of his moves.

e: other than Bair, what use is short hopping really for Falco, by the way? Nair doesn't get to do any damage and Fair has some serious lag :( Still training short hops for Captain Falcon though, my alternate choice for main at the moment.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 9, 2015

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

There's a motion you can commit to muscle memory to launch low-hop bairs going forward. It's back, jump, forward, bair just like you predicted and it does work, it's just kind of a pain to do. I like to try it for Pikachu's endless ungrabbable helicopter kick but when i can't get the timing I'll just bair in the moments where you're both on the ground with your backs to each other. It's sort of a flick to do it on the ground going forward.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Falco's pretty bad in this game but due to the relative balance it doesn't actually mean too much unless you're fighting top 5. Just make sure you don't over commit and you'll do fine. Generally don't touch is B moves unless you're using Illusion or his recovery.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Holding a amiibo tourney and watching Nabbit's animations makes me realize he's just reskinned TAC. I kinda want TAC to be in Great Cave Offensive now.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I'm assuming it's possible to somehow run, turn, jump and Bair while keeping forward momentum? Or are you just supposed to keep your back to your enemy (seems a bit.. obvious)?

There's a dumb made-up name for everything: Reverse Aerial Rush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwk3VgZDuEs

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

F. Lobot posted:

There's a dumb made-up name for everything: Reverse Aerial Rush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwk3VgZDuEs

These god drat names :negative:
It's surprisingly a lot easier than I thought it'd be, I can get it most of the time now after only a little bit of training. It's much more risky as Falco than many others though, since if you screw up and do a Fair instead you're incredibly vulnerable :(

laplace posted:

Falco's pretty bad in this game but due to the relative balance it doesn't actually mean too much unless you're fighting top 5. Just make sure you don't over commit and you'll do fine. Generally don't touch is B moves unless you're using Illusion or his recovery.
What about the reflector? It's such a fast move and can really trip up people (:haw: literally) if you throw one quickly in their face when they expect a dash attack. I don't really like the Phantasm since you're very punishable when using it lower than at full jump height (or as recovery to the ledge.)
e: the blaster is literally worthless though, unless you can time it really well on someone trying to recover

e2: Used to really dislike Falco, 'cuz drat what an ugly character:

..but in this game he's ~*~fabulous~*~

(I'm also amazed at how good SSB4 screenshots look!)

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 10, 2015

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Falco's reflector in this game is super predictable and as with all of his B-moves, randomly has added lag like his blaster, so it's not really worth using against good opponents unless you get the extremely lucky stageclip spike. Phantasm is still useful because it knocks people downwards on sweetspot, but that may be tricky with ledge trumping taking priority.

The name for Reverse Aerial Rush comes from Marvel I think, because it has the same input as a technique where you can dash backwards while attacking in one of those games.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
I'm having a lot of fun as the Fat Man online, winning roughly 60% of the time. But I'd like better opponents to avoid getting in a rut.

Bring it goons :toot: My ID is hyperialguard

My Wario needs to be trounced.

edit: I've had trouble finding anything I would consider a combo for Wario. Anyone aware of any moves that reliably flow into each other, like Ness's PK Fire into a grab?

Space Cob fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 10, 2015

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Space Cob posted:

I'm having a lot of fun as the Fat Man online, winning roughly 60% of the time. But I'd like better opponents to avoid getting in a rut.

edit: I've had trouble finding anything I would consider a combo for Wario. Anyone aware of any moves that reliably flow into each other, like Ness's PK Fire into a grab?

He doesn't really have many true combos. At certain percentages you can do a short-hop, two forward airs followed by a forward tilt when you land. At certain percentages you can also go down tilt, down tilt, forward tilt for a good chunk of damage. I've managed to pull off a body slam (short hop, neutral air, fast fall) into up smash once or twice but this doesn't always work. In general Wario's moves either have too much wind-up or too much recovery to be strung together quickly, though.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I kinda want TAC to be in Great Cave Offensive now.

The biggest shame with the Great Cave Offensive is that we didn't get it's boss battle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FP2cNSxyw

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Space Cob posted:

some crazy wario tech i saw today is that if you put your bike near the edge, and you have a charged fart, you can fart on your bike, which extends the hitbox to a ridiculous extent, and anyone near the ledge will absolutely die.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

mabels big day posted:

some crazy wario tech i saw today is that if you put your bike near the edge, and you have a charged fart, you can fart on your bike, which extends the hitbox to a ridiculous extent, and anyone near the ledge will absolutely die.

Huh. I'll test this now in training and see if I can notice this.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mabels big day posted:

Farting on your bike to kill people? Smash tech has gone too far!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Space Cob posted:

Huh. I'll test this now in training and see if I can notice this.

I don't know if he does it in this specific match, but the wario here is the best Wario I've seen and he definitely does it at some point in the stream

at 1:20 he has a match with a megaman and he does it like three times through the set

mabels big day fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 11, 2015

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

mabels big day posted:

I don't know if he does it in this specific match, but the wario here is the best Wario I've seen and he definitely does it at some point in the stream

I'll give this a look and see if I can find that. Also, thanks for the link. I've been wanting to look around for more Wario tips as playing online randomly is only showing me so much.

edit: I finally fought another Wario in 1v1 online today and it was a close and stupid. I giggled during our Torque-like bike duels.

edit 2: That Wario play is inspiring. I'll never be that good, but I'll aspire to be so. Thanks! Lots to study.

Space Cob fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 11, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is possibly the nicest of these I've seen.

Definitely got me as a Captain Falcon player, though. Yes.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I don't play much Little Mac or Rosalina but I can say their descriptions apply for me; Punch Out is rad as hell and that dude spending $35000 on amiibos out of spite is so out there it's hilarious.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Missing Ken's theory that all peach players are either fat, gay, or some combination of both.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

mabels big day posted:

at 1:20 he has a match with a megaman and he does it like three times through the set

Reflex and I both mained Wario in Brawl and we were study buddies for a few weeks when Smash 4 came out. He insists that Wario is better than in Brawl but I just don't see it. He doesn't get grab released anymore, and that alone is a massive plus, but he's taken so many nerfs to his playstyle and his damage output that he's just not anything compared to what he was. Reflex has always had these weird-rear end opinions and ideas in Professional Smash Brothers, but he's the one winning these tournaments, so I guess I just don't know. Thanks for listening.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Your Computer posted:

General consensus is that Falco is much, much worse. He was one of my mains in both Melee and Brawl and I think he's just so different that it'll take people time to adjust - he has some nice new tricks but unfortunately loses a lot of his old ones.

I think he's better than people think, but it'll take time for people to get used to him, if they even bother. He used to have amazing lasers and the best down air in the game, and you mentioned being better at shorthops - he used to be able to shorthop lasers to get them out really quickly.

Cute trick you can do with his forward air - it sucks people in while you're hitting them. If you hit someone off the platform and then fast fall, it sucks them downwards with you, and usually puts them in a very bad position.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Cute trick you can do with his forward air - it sucks people in while you're hitting them. If you hit someone off the platform and then fast fall, it sucks them downwards with you, and usually puts them in a very bad position.

Pseudo kamikaze grab? :haw:
Too bad Fire Bird is a pretty lovely recovery move, or else you might be able to do that and get away with it.

So far the only use I've found for short-hopping with Falco is Bairs and at higher percents a combo of Dair to Fsmash. Only works at a pretty high percentage since Dair for some weird reason doesn't bounce people like most (all?) other spikes, but if you do it right you will probably KO the opponent (and it looks really rad!)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
oh god, Bob and George

it's true

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Armada's Diddy at BEAST V is making me depressed. Commentators described three uairs in a row after a downthrow as hype :(

And then the sheik SD'd with grenade. Lol. And then switched to diddy.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

laplace posted:

Armada's Diddy at BEAST V is making me depressed. Commentators described three uairs in a row after a downthrow as hype :(

And then the sheik SD'd with grenade. Lol. And then switched to diddy.

Armada and Android did a fantastic job at 2's today in melee. the synergy was too real, the fairs too strong

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Doubles was wacky and fun and pretty intense, at least the GF was. Mang0 and Baxon could have played a little better.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So is there matchmaking in this game and I'm just so lovely that even people who are bottom of the barrel are mopping the floor with me? I don't get it, it's like everyone's attacks happen faster or take priority over mine. Everything I do feels like it's queued up.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

no matchmaking

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

There's no real matchmaking in the game at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Well that's a relief at least.

• Locked thread