Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Even as a joke having the ads pop up during the run is kind of in poor taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Solid Snake and Wario have been in the same game together, so this is at least closer to Wario Land 4.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

UraniumAnchor posted:

Nothing in the PayPal notifications suggests that the transaction was reversed. When a transaction gets reversed PayPal sends like 15-20 notifications.

Out of all of our events since AGDQ2013 we've only ever had about $1,100 TOTAL donations reversed.

Also the screenshot was definitely forged (something about the brackets I think, Cool Matty knows the details).

These are both excellent things to hear!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
"He broke his toothbrush. At a 90o angle."

PJ, ladies and gentleman.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Yeah I didn't think it was possible to have a donation reversed through PayPal that fast anyway. It's a manual process involving the donator contacting PayPal support and the transaction details being manually reviewed by them, and I doubt that could happen within an hour on a Saturday night.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dias posted:

Twice! PJ is an anomaly.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Dias posted:

Don't forget where he tried to use the toothbrush after it snapped, and it snapped again!

E:fb

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Did something horrible happen during the Binding of Isaac run? I saw a lot of misgivings before it even started since its so luck-based but missed the actual thing. (Rogue Legacy was pretty neat though.)

Leeham721
Jan 4, 2015

flatluigi posted:

dude had gunnar ads as joke binds and people thought they were real ads and got upset

He didn't put a joke in though. He ran straight ads for the product and 90%+ of the audience won't know it's his shtick.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

mycot posted:

Did something horrible happen during the Binding of Isaac run? I saw a lot of misgivings before it even started since its so luck-based but missed the actual thing. (Rogue Legacy was pretty neat though.)

The other roguelikes were fine, but BoI was unseeded (They explained why but eh) and one runner got pretty excellent items and the other got complete poo poo and negative items so took 15 minutes longer and then died.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

mycot posted:

1 runner got really good RNG and good items breezed through, other got no damage and thus was stuck doing every boss and enemy slowly.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

mycot posted:

It was a race, one run went fine and completed the game in ~25 minutes. The other run took another 20 minutes until he eventually died in the cathedral after that because the guy got no items giving him extra damage. So it was basically not a race at all and it's really boring to watch someone play Isaac very slowly.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If they do any more Isaac races they should do seeded Rebirth runs, it's like it was made for races.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

bobjr posted:

If they do any more Isaac races they should do seeded Rebirth runs, it's like it was made for races.

But screenlooking you guys.

Leeham721
Jan 4, 2015
Reflex Mode

Easy mode more like LOLOLO

I like how after a huge explosion rocks the main guard tower on base, the guys stood next to it are just casually stood there until someone radio's them to be alert. Great AI.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

bobjr posted:

I think that's the plan. AGDQ2015 was booked and everything before Rebirth even came out so they were stuck with the original. And hell, you can do some amusing things with the seeds. Donation incentive perhaps or just go with AGDQ 2016 next time since it has room for eight characters.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
Or just not bother because it was boring as hell

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Your Computer posted:

But everyone said on page 5 or something that this was the worst *GDQ by far :ohdear:

I don't remember anyone here ever saying that. I do think AGDQ 2014 had fewer dry spells.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bobjr posted:

There might be a good reason not to, but I'd just do Azazel Womb 2 runs if you're going unseeded. Azazel is (was) strong enough to get by even with bad upgrades, and Womb 2 makes it faster and more consistent.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Smart Car posted:

It was a race, one run went fine and completed the game in ~25 minutes. The other run took another 20 minutes until he eventually died in the cathedral after that because the guy got no items giving him extra damage. So it was basically not a race at all and it's really boring to watch someone play Isaac very slowly.

The commentary was really awkward too, I thought.

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
BoI:Rebirth would be fun to watch, especially if there was donation incentives to do some of the more interesting challenges.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Tracula posted:

Even as a joke having the ads pop up during the run is kind of in poor taste.

No guys it's okay it's a joke, buy Gunnars! Hahahahah, see? They help reduce eye strain and make you a better gamer. Oh poo poo! Funny.

If anyone started sticking advertisement links into their forum posts they'd get banned for spamming. Yet apparently it happens during a charity stream and it's okay and funny because he's just kidding, guys. It's not like he was making fun of Gunnars and had a silly joke about them, it was a straight up ad. It doesn't make any sense to me. :shrug:

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Random Stranger posted:

Now for the scary suggestion that would make every single person involved freak out: there needs to be flexible scheduling. Getting behind like the marathon did this time pushed big donation drivers out of prime viewing hours. What I'd recommend is that you have a certain number of "on the bubble" runs that can be cut to recover time. Make the possible to cut runs short ones of about a half hour in length every six hours and then lock the schedule for the next twelve hours. That way you can look down the line and inform the runner that they had to be cut well in advance. drat straight that's going to piss people off and generate cries of how unfair it is, but flexibility will help.
I think this might be taking things a bit far, as some people do fly a long way at their own expense to do a run. Would a better compromise be to have the big money, prime time runs able to leapfrog up the schedule when things are behind, to be run at the right timeslot instead? Making sure the runs in the run-up to your tentpole game for the evening are never really long would help flexibility there.

Also I think the suggestion that games should be more often blocked by console, to provide more variety in games and shorter set-up times, is a good idea. I doubt you can do it universally though, like when you want multi-console races you may not want lots of them in a row, but you need hardware and layout changes in and out of those runs.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Nipplebox posted:

I don't remember anyone here ever saying that. I do think AGDQ 2014 had fewer dry spells.

Well, ya. That was during DKR.

Leeham721
Jan 4, 2015

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

No guys it's okay it's a joke, buy Gunnars! Hahahahah, see? They help reduce eye strain and make you a better gamer. Oh poo poo! Funny.

If anyone started sticking advertisement links into their forum posts they'd get banned for spamming. Yet apparently it happens during a charity stream and it's okay and funny because he's just kidding, guys. It's not like he was making fun of Gunnars and had a silly joke about them, it was a straight up ad. It doesn't make any sense to me. :shrug:

Just to explain why Gunnars themselves are a terrible product to advertise, out of anything. TL;DR: Wearing nothing is literally better than wearing Gunnars.

http://commons.pacificu.edu/verg/3/

Without stressors such as a blowing fan, the Gunnar Optiks design did not reduce EMG squinting power. Thus, patients would be expected to squint just as strongly with or without the Gunnar glasses under these conditions

EMG blink rate was lowest under glare conditions with Gunnar glasses. A lower blink rate is generally associated with dry eyes, therefore, the Gunnar Optiks design can not be concluded to reduce dry eye symptoms by increasing blink rate.

The Gunnar Optiks design did not decrease the internal symptoms of sore eyes, tired eyes and eyestrain compared to 85 control conditions

Symptoms of back, neck and shoulder pain were highest with the Gunnar design glasses and glare stressor, and lowest with no glasses. The Gunnar design did not reduce these physical symptoms.

The Gunnar Optiks design did not reduce blur or double vision subjectively

Environmental symptoms, such as poor contrast, glare and small font size, were worst with the Gunnar spectacles under glare conditions, and best with no glasses or at baseline.

In summary, these studies have not found scientific evidence for a change in accommodation (focusing), tear volume, or electromyography of the eyelid (squinting and blinking). Despite this, there seems to be some subjective preference for the Gunnar design. This preference may simply be due to the placebo effect, but is still real to these subjects.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Gunnar has given a few people pairs (kripparian and some league of legends pro team) is the big on that comes to mind) to tout on stream so I can see why people take it the wrong way

edit: just install f.lux if youre considering buying these or even interested in the concept

stringball fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 11, 2015

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Bonus stream "this has never happened before".

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

stringball posted:

Gunnar has given a few people pairs (kripparian and some league of legends pro team) is the big on that comes to mind) to tout on stream so I can see why people take it the wrong way

If it was some goofy off-the-wall sort of product like adult diapers or whatever and clearly making fun of the whole thing then I can see it as a joke but when it's things people actually shill out that's a different story.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Hahah, MGS Sandstorm Chopper.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

Random Stranger posted:

Now for the scary suggestion that would make every single person involved freak out: there needs to be flexible scheduling. Getting behind like the marathon did this time pushed big donation drivers out of prime viewing hours. What I'd recommend is that you have a certain number of "on the bubble" runs that can be cut to recover time. Make the possible to cut runs short ones of about a half hour in length every six hours and then lock the schedule for the next twelve hours. That way you can look down the line and inform the runner that they had to be cut well in advance. drat straight that's going to piss people off and generate cries of how unfair it is, but flexibility will help..

Imo between this and the "primetime anchor" idea above it makes a lot more sense to just find a volunteer who is willing to have his run pushed towards the end of the marathon in a similar time slot. That way the number of people who have to change their stream time is much smaller, and those affected have time to prepare

Fwiw I proposed this to mike at my first gdq in 2011. He said it wasnt a good idea and so I played blast corps at 5am, after sm64 at 3am, almost half a day late :v:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Brother Entropy posted:

diddy kong racing

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

That list turned into something magical during the awful game block. FEATURED GAME: SNEAK KING.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

mycot posted:

That list turned into something magical during the awful game block. FEATURED GAME: SNEAK KING.

Sneak King needs to be run next year.

And Big Bumpin' at SGDQ.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

And on the subject of Sneak King, God-Tier blindfold.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

wow can't believe he mashed those buttons blindfolded. Unreal strats here

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

mycot posted:

It's too bad romscout wasn't able to get twitch to make sure there was cover art for every game in the marathon...

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

A problem with the schedule this year was that the setup buffers weren't being used for what they are explicitly on the schedule for. They're supposed to cover long setup times, so if you're behind schedule when you reach a setup, bam, that's 30-60 minutes back.

This AGDQ they were being used for bonus games despite the schedule being several hours behind and I think that at least one of them ran longer than the setup buffer was noted for.

So it kinda misses the point of them being there entirely. Yes, I know people donated for the bonus games, but they should only replace setup buffers when running ahead of schedule.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!
OK, what am I even watching now? I know it's bonus stream and all, but drat...

Edit: can't look away from bucktooth paperking

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Kaarp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

you really have to admire the confidence when someone says "i kinda know how long it takes but not really"

• Locked thread