Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Winner?
This poll is closed.
Dallas 32 14.88%
Green Bay 51 23.72%
Nazi Germany 75 34.88%
Khmer Rouge 57 26.51%
Total: 215 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
That Rule Sucks at least the lions lost on a subjective call that isn't reviewable but the cowboys lost on an objective easy to understand catch that was called good on the field and then reviewed and overturned with 0 evidence to the contrary moments after a greenbay player dribbled the ball down the field between his legs and around his shoulders and1 style and scored a touchdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The important part is that he was going to the ground, the number of steps or moving the football didn't change that motion of going to the ground so he didn't demonstrate control.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

nerve posted:

your TE has quite astute knowledge of advice animals

All Rookie Emoji Team

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

wheez the roux posted:

how in the gently caress are so many people unable to understand the concept of criticizing a rule. "them's the rules!!" is not a loving rebuttal to "the rule is stupid and wrong"

The law is a human institution.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Eric Ebron ‏@Ebron85 6m6 minutes ago
Karma Always Comes Back Around.. But 🐸🍵Frog Face Emoji Cup of Tea Emoji

same, eric. same.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Soothing Vapors posted:

Even though you did away with AJ Hawk I still love you too RS.

I didn't do away with it. I actually want AJ back. I just changed it back from a butt-loving ugly custom title I got that replaced AJ.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

getting trolled by paul ryan

literally rock bottom

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

if dez bryant had more heart it would've been a catch

I don't think there are 10 people in the NFL with more heart than Dez Bryant

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Pancakes by Mail posted:

The law is a human institution.

Jurassic Park, nice

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

troofs posted:

I guess since everybody is posting opinions:
That was a pretty clear cut case of not being a catch by the definition of an absolutely loving awful rule that should have been thrown out after the Calvin Johnson bullshit catch like 3 years ago. Maybe now that it happened to a big team instead of the lions it will actually get changed, like it should have been changed ages ago? Thanks Dallas!

I don't think it's that clear cut even under the rule, but it's definitely a reasonable call. It's just a bad unnecessary rule.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

MAO TSE-TUNGACUNT posted:

i'm still laughing too hard at people calling people who post here every loving week "playoff posters" to even take those morons seriously

loving playoff poster :saddowns:

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Frackie Robinson posted:

No they'll be back to bitching about Romo/Garrett/Jones

oh boy I can't wait to hear about how unclutch Tony Romo is again :allears:

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

wheez the roux posted:

how in the gently caress are so many people unable to understand the concept of criticizing a rule. "them's the rules!!" is not a loving rebuttal to "the rule is stupid and wrong"

But.. but the rules!

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
The seahawks may end rodgers career next week

congrats

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Retail Slave posted:

The rule is stupid and wrong, but are they supposed to ignore it on the field? The refs are supposed to call the game by the rules, right?

I agree the rule shouldn't exist. If it didn't, I'd be pissed off right now. It's not like Dallas is the only team who ever got hosed by that rule.

But it should be priority #1 of the rules committee this offseason to change it.

The problem is though, is stretching for a touchdown a football move? You don't even have to ignore the rule. You can just consider him lunging and stretching for the goal line to be a football move and call it a catch.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
i'm about to not demonstrate control when i poo poo in my hand and throw it like a monkey

Calm
Apr 7, 2006

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I think the rationale is that you don't know if the guy has full control of the ball until after he retains control after going to the ground. That's why the ground can't cause a fumble - the fact that the ball comes out shows that it wasn't a catch in the first place.

I agree. The rule was probably implemented to save referees and subsequently us viewers, from having to impart the subjectivity of "control" in such a fast paced game. That said, I still hate the rule.

e: but w/ the advent of slow-motion replay I feel like it's less of an issue now.

Calm fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 11, 2015

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I feel like Dez reaching for the end zone after taking two steps should constitute an act common to the game, but whatever.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Now I can be happy with whoever wins next week. Go Packers, Go Seahawks, gently caress the Pats.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

davecrazy posted:

The ball hit the turf, how can this be complicated?

Ball never hit the turf. A good catch.

Always quote this image

KNew
Sep 16, 2007

Yu does not care for puns

Ribsauce posted:

I don't think there are 10 people in the NFL with more heart than Dez Bryant

Not white sooooo

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Goddammit. That's the only awesome thing Paul Ryan has ever done.

Well, maybe those dorky workout photos too.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

as a playoff poster, I

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Dez Bryant, on his deathbed, 57 years from now: "I caught that ball.......I caught that ball........I caught that ball........"

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
is anyone listening to Elway talk on CBS, just listen to his goblin voice

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Shaft481 posted:

Now I can be happy with whoever wins next week. Go Packers, Go Seahawks, gently caress the Pats.

Packers/Not Pats Super Bowl would be real cool.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
i am a playoff poster and i smell like human poo poo

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Intruder posted:

It's ok to hate the rule but admit that it was correctly applied

which is what we were saying, and then people were posting "well it's the rule!!" yes, we know it's the rule, that's why we're calling the rule stupid, what does ti being a rule have to do with how we feel about it

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Quest For Glory II posted:

NFL's responsibility is not changing the going to the ground rule but placing a concrete set of standards on what constitutes a football move into the NFL rulebook so that refs can objectively determine plays like Dez Bryant's attempted catch rather than resorting to a subjective determination

NFLs responsibility is to make an entertaining game, and throwing out epic completions like that because of some esoteric rule is loving dumb

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Intruder posted:

It's ok to hate the rule but admit that it was correctly applied

That is what he's saying and what most people are doing though?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

weekly font posted:

Packers/Not Pats Super Bowl would be real cool.

Broncos Packers or Broncos Seahawks

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

MourningView posted:

I don't think it's that clear cut even under the rule, but it's definitely a reasonable call. It's just a bad unnecessary rule.

The 'football move' was trying to score a loving touchdown in my opinion.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I'm pretty sure if Dez had broken the plane it would have been ruled a good catch which makes the rule even more hilarious and dumb and confusing

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lets go colts/hawks superb owl

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
I really do love TFF though

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

wheez the roux posted:

in the 60s: look i know blacks want to vote but THAT'S THE RULE. if you don't like it, leave or get it changed!!

Yes, because a rule in football is TOTALLY THE SAME as racism.

Get hosed, Wheez.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Big Bob Pataki posted:

i am a playoff poster and i smell like human poo poo

same, OP

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

and now in the buildup to next week they won't bring up any other reffing errors of yore,

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Pron on VHS posted:

is anyone listening to Elway talk on CBS, just listen to his goblin voice

he absolutely sounds like a goblin, wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Jesus christ if only he had just fallen out of bounds after catching instead of stretching for a TD

• Locked thread