Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Slowly but surely circling the "no one should like that army to begin with" drain. From his specially commissioned golden throne, at rest from his long duty, Kirby smiles.

You can always count on those grapes being sour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
loving the change for fantasy for all the same reasons

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Skirmish-level Fantasy has been a want for years, but not at the cost of the actual core game. Even being able to run 500 point lists without the game falling apart would have been nice.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

thespaceinvader posted:

They're british folklore with french names for some reason (presumably because warhammer Britain is celtic and full of tattooed cyclopses hurling menhirs)

Probably because most of the folk tales are English by way of France, mainly thanks to the Norman invasion. Plus at the time the tales were codified it was higher status to have a French name than a Briton one. Which is why most of the big name knights have very French names and those that don't have Welsh names because they were later transplants into the stories.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Hollismason posted:

I would unironically play Warhammer Fantasy if it was a skirmish game. It's also a smart move to axe something and specialize it if it's making up 10% of your profit and 30% or more of your expenditures. It's just good business , I'm surprised they haven't done it sooner.

no because you see long term gains and also entering people into the hobby and 7 percent

Man I dunno I just want to hear an official announcement so the weeping may commence.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Panzeh posted:

I dunno, maybe everything should just be total monkeycheese! Yeeeah!

Yeah, gently caress Empire's halberdmen, who do they thing they are, being so lame? Either get some sort of flamethrower mutants as a core unit or git.

Even the pegasus looks like he squinting trying to find bitches to gently caress up.

Though I must say that I don't like the trebuchet as a concept. Should have given them some primitive explodey canons or something.

The thing with fantasy is that they don't have a faction I would outright loathe (though that still goes for nurgle players), which would be nice if I played it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This also highlights another of the reasons GW's 'don't confirm or deny, don't allow 'spoilers', don't announce goddamn anything' bullshit hurts them. Some people are jazzed about these changes! Now what happens if the rumors turn out to be bullshit? Now the people who were jazzed are pissed off, the people who were worried were pissed off until you confirmed 9th wasn't going to be THE SEA OF UNTIME, no-one wins!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Panzeh posted:

I dunno, maybe everything should just be total monkeycheese! Yeeeah!
This, but sometimes you want to be the monster team and sometimes you want to be the sword wielding badasses who kill the monster team

Granted, I don't know if Brets ever were that, but you could see the attempt?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Bretonnians were really cool when they were current and if they were made current again they would be cool again. It's pretty much just that simple. Just give them even bigger flying Pegasuses or whatever that shoot laser beams out of their eyes, or a giant siege tower that's magically animated and moves itself that has archers firing out of the top and a bunch of knights on foot charge out of the bottom like land raiders when they get close

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Skirmish-level Fantasy has been a want for years, but not at the cost of the actual core game. Even being able to run 500 point lists without the game falling apart would have been nice.

I'm just going to put this pitch here then

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Only tangentially relevant to this thread, crossposting from the Warhammer thread.

My friend and I are currently preparing a Warhammer conversion of the SAGA ruleset for WFB models we have lying around from our youth.

Here's the first battle board, a straight conversion of the Vikings to Beastmen.

Dwarves are next up. Here are the first couple old-school thunderers (Anglo Danish Levy archers)

E: Here are the dwarves

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Brets had loads of things they could have done without going down the super magical monster route too. They could have gone for the naval thing, never mind the additional foot troops. There was supposedly a playtesting version where they had loads and loads of heroes, like their unit champions were 2 wound combat monsters and their 'thing' was being the heroic counter army to all the mad monsters.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

serious gaylord posted:

Brets had loads of things they could have done without going down the super magical monster route too. They could have gone for the naval thing, never mind the additional foot troops. There was supposedly a playtesting version where they had loads and loads of heroes, like their unit champions were 2 wound combat monsters and their 'thing' was being the heroic counter army to all the mad monsters.

Basically new Grail Knight models that are fancier than a gay peacock that bleed light all over your monsters. Not that hard a concept, and they basically set it up in the End Times book (before the old king got his head sawed off by a cleaver).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's the least surprising thing in the world that so many people are happy to go "eh who cares about Brets" when they haven't had any updates or meaningful attention in how many years slash editions? Of course people are going to act like that when you shove them off into a closet to be mostly forgotten about instead of receiving regular attention, or any attention at all. It's the same reason why people will go "who cares" when GW finally squats Sisters of Battle...it's not because the concept itself is bad or inherently unfun, it's because they'd rather spend more time making another dozen variations on potato men in power armor to release one after the other instead of giving every army steady, incremental releases to keep huge gaps like that from forming in the first place.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Kai Tave posted:

It's the least surprising thing in the world that so many people are happy to go "eh who cares about Brets" when they haven't had any updates or meaningful attention in how many years slash editions? Of course people are going to act like that when you shove them off into a closet to be mostly forgotten about instead of receiving regular attention, or any attention at all. It's the same reason why people will go "who cares" when GW finally squats Sisters of Battle...it's not because the concept itself is bad or inherently unfun, it's because they'd rather spend more time making another dozen variations on potato men in power armor to release one after the other instead of giving every army steady, incremental releases to keep huge gaps like that from forming in the first place.

haha you still care about things

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Brettonia having a peasant revolution in the end times would have been the best thing. Gunpowder and bicorns for everybody, and a giant Warhammer-diculous wheeled magical guillotine. And then something stupid involving can can girls, Napoleon, and the Marquis de Sade.

Basically croissants, acid, and WTF Warhammer.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

moths posted:

Brettonia having a peasant revolution in the end times would have been the best thing. Gunpowder and bicorns for everybody, and a giant Warhammer-diculous wheeled magical guillotine. And then something stupid involving can can girls, Napoleon, and the Marquis de Sade.

You had me at magical guillotine. GW give this man a goddamn job right now.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Nash posted:

You had me at magical guillotine. GW give this man a goddamn job right now.

gently caress yeah. Assault columns, cannons, grenadiers, go full hog.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The very idea of an army that hasn't received any rules support in... 11 years?... Is so far beyond the pale of ridiculous to begin with that I wonder what else you guys would be expecting besides nothing/being swept further under the rug.

When you look at the idea that it's even possible for your existing army to get invalidated by a rules update that will occur seemingly at random (you never know because GW proudly has no marketing department) I wonder how any of you can keep the faith. You are reduced to essentially trolling through new files on their website for JPGs in the hope of gleaning any useful information about how hosed your investment is. This is still a game, it's not just collecting toys.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

All these knights has made me think I'd like to model a mounted mercenary company.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Probably because most of the folk tales are English by way of France, mainly thanks to the Norman invasion. Plus at the time the tales were codified it was higher status to have a French name than a Briton one. Which is why most of the big name knights have very French names and those that don't have Welsh names because they were later transplants into the stories.

You have this sort of backwards. The tales are basicslly Welsh in origin and were later added to by French authors before getting codified into the form we best know by Mallory.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I'm finding myself kinda interested in the WHFB mix up, as an ex-long time customer, I want GW to do well. I really do. But.. the cynic in me (that GW are mostly responsible for creating) imagines some scenario where the mix-up looks good and sounds good, but GW do something retarded to make me go "should have known" and not buy into it at all.

:ohdear:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

moths posted:

Thanqol Spoilers, but apparently: Brettonia is completely wiped out by the Skaven, leaving only those who were abroad alive.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm glad Warhammer Fantasy is dying and I hope it rots in hell, so I can get my sweet sweet fantasy skirmish game to purchase those awesome models they make for the range. Fantasy does have a better looking and more impressive range than 40k.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Honestly, would it be the worst thing in he world of they were combining rule sets, warmahordes style?

I mean, obviously the people who like the fantasy system are pretty much SOL but besides that, I could see the argument for that.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
In a surprise that will shock no one, Hollismason cannot wait to purchase more GW miniatures!

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

It's funny because all these arguments against Bretonnians were said about Wood Elves before they got their new book last year (they were as outdated as Brets). "They're unpopular, no one plays them, updating them won't be profitable, etc." Then Wood Elves got updated and everything in the release sold out everywhere in days.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Ignite Memories posted:

Honestly, would it be the worst thing in he world of they were combining rule sets, warmahordes style?

I don't think anyone has an issue with that. People have an issue with over half of their armies (or, in many cases, their entire armies) made useless and being forced to rebase what they have that's still available. I'm sure people would eat up a Fantasy Skirmish game, but not at the expense of a game that they've already poured a lot of money and effort into.

There's also a setting that most people liked and throwing that all away for balls touching in space for *REASONS*.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
In moments of weakness when I almost got into warhammer games over the last many years, I was always saved because my first interests were Bretonnians and Sisters...the internet told me those were super bad and I moved on instead of becoming a GW customer. I like super baroque knightly order stuff.

The new 40k LCG is really good though. I can't wait for Sisters to show up in that as part of IG.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I wish GW remembered it had a game that can be played as a small scale skirmish game. Unfortunately most people don't even count LotR/Hobbit. :(

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Business Gorillas posted:

I don't think anyone has an issue with that. People have an issue with over half of their armies (or, in many cases, their entire armies) made useless and being forced to rebase what they have that's still available. I'm sure people would eat up a Fantasy Skirmish game, but not at the expense of a game that they've already poured a lot of money and effort into.

There's also a setting that most people liked and throwing that all away for balls touching in space for *REASONS*.

Oh, definitely. I completely get that, in the same way that I was really angry they hosed up blood angels even though I don't own any. If the rumors are true then I am sympathetically enraged. But I play 40k, and sometimes in the past I've felt like I would rather be playing fantasy, and a part of me is a little bit excited at the possibility that I might be able to play against cool rat people and sphynxmonsters.

Not that I have any faith in this going down smoothly. But given the possibilities, at the very least my interest is piqued.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I'd be all about Fantasy bringing Save Modifiers back to 40k.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Moola posted:

In a surprise that will shock no one, Hollismason cannot wait to purchase more GW miniatures!

stockholm syndrome is a hell of a thing

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

i literally cannot wait until game X is discontinued so i can purchase mini's of ebay at ridiculous prices

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nash posted:

I wish GW remembered it had a game that can be played as a small scale skirmish game. Unfortunately most people don't even count LotR/Hobbit. :(

Not only that, but is it REALLY that hard to find an old PDF of Mordheim?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm trying to imagine Privateer Press one day going "hey all you Khador players, sorry but Khador got wiped out in the Great Bullshit Explosion of 16XX or whatever year it is, the good news is you'll still be able to use a fraction of your models as mercenaries for the other factions, okay have fun and keep buying our poo poo."

Vermintide
Oct 26, 2013

LordAba posted:

Not only that, but is it REALLY that hard to find an old PDF of Mordheim?

Probably not, plus I know there's a rather popular re-do of the Mordheim rules that is quite easy to get a hold of and fixes a lot of the stuff that was kind of broken in the original as well. Now I think I would be much more pleased if GW just brought back and revamped Mordheim rather than whatever these rumors are eluding to.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Mordheim is probably one of the best games GW has put out, so yeah Mordheim on a larger scale would be awesome.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Hollismason posted:

Mordheim is probably one of the best games GW has put out, so yeah Mordheim on a larger scale would be awesome.

So if I understand things correctly, GW made Mordheim, stopped supporting Mordheim, and is now trying to turn another game into something like Mordheim instead of simply resuming support for Mordheim, does that about sum things up?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Ojetor posted:

It's funny because all these arguments against Bretonnians were said about Wood Elves before they got their new book last year (they were as outdated as Brets). "They're unpopular, no one plays them, updating them won't be profitable, etc." Then Wood Elves got updated and everything in the release sold out everywhere in days.

And then during End Times their woods got hosed by Chaos and the majority of the wood elves were rolled into the other elf factions.

So LITERALLY written off fluff-wise within the same year of release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

JcDent posted:

At what, $80 for a squad, they'd be expensive even if they had termie psyker statline.

Of course nobody is playing SoB if it's more expensive than playing 30K.
30K? Expensive?
It's as cheap, if not cheaper than 40k :australia:

Hollismason posted:

I would unironically play Warhammer Fantasy if it was a skirmish game. It's also a smart move to axe something and specialize it if it's making up 10% of your profit and 30% or more of your expenditures. It's just good business , I'm surprised they haven't done it sooner.
Spoiler: your beloved Necrons used to be a boring 3rd edition army that nobody gave a poo poo about, until GW did an effort release. Would you have liked your little robot mans to get dropped from the setting because GW failed to actually support the faction?
Get hosed.

• Locked thread