Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

kimcicle posted:

What happened to the M.2 form factor? My motherboard has a slot for it, and I was thinking about buying a smaller M.2 drive to be my OS/Programs drive and offload games and whatnot to my current SSD. Poking around the web doesn't bring back many results for things I can buy today, but a bunch of review from last year saying that they are coming out "any day now."

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...sl_9htosqtasw_b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Chromebook world is full of those MyDigital drives failing.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Finally some consumer M.2 drives that are unbound from SATA speeds have been revealed at CES:

Kingston has launched a 4x PciE SSD - basically an M.2 drive using a Marvell 88SS9293 controller & bolted to a PciE-adapter. 1400MB/s read and 1000MB/s write, capacities of 240GB, 480GB (available soon) and 960GB (Q1-Q2).

Samsung has begun volume production of the SM951: 1,600MB/s read, 1,350MB/s write and random performance of 130,000 IOPS read and 85,000 IOPS write in PciE 2.0 - these figures get even more ridiculous with 3.0. Definitely buying one of these and bolting it to an adapter for my desktop.

Welmu fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 8, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's 13 results on the first page of Newegg for "m.2", randing from $49 for a 64GB kingston module up to $450 for a $512GB samsung module, what exactly are you looking for? I think M.2 is largely just a different formfactor for msata, which is largely just another formfactof for mPCI-e, you just buy what form you need and plug it in to your laptop/pc.

Smaller/cheaper laptops skipped the whole m.2, msata revolution by just soldering on 4GB eMMC modules directly to the motherboard to avoid the cost of the mechanical attachment point + having a human install them.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Hadlock posted:

I think M.2 is largely just a different formfactor for msata, which is largely just another formfactof for mPCI-e, you just buy what form you need and plug it in to your laptop/pc.
Not really. If you have a M.2 socket, any of those drives will probably work, but it's best to do some research first. M.2 is just the connector; devices can operate in SATA (legacy), SATA express (AHCI) or NVMe modes. You can buy a fancy drive that's rated for 1600MBps and plug it in to find your only get 550MBps or it doesn't work at all because the socket on your motherboard isn't wired for PCIe.

Most of the M.2 drives you see on Newegg are SATA only, which means they'll only operate at SATA III speeds (6Gbps). The more expensive ones can use PCIe and will be significantly faster. M.2 drives should also have a size in their name like 2242 or 2280. The first two numbers are the width in mm and the second two are the length, so if you're buying one for your laptop make sure it will fit! There's also different keys that can be cut into devices and I think this corresponds to how many PCIe lanes it can use.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Relevant to the M.2 discussion...

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/08/samsung-sm941-pcie-ssd

No initial retail availability though.

quote:

Samsung has started manufacturing a PCIe (M.2) SSD which pulls off a rare trick -- it'll be the fastest drive your laptop has ever seen, while consuming almost no power in standby mode. The new SM951 SSD succeeds the Korean company's XP941, a drive that can already read data at a mind-melting 1.4 gigabytes per second (GB/s) clip. On newer laptops or desktops, its successor will shame that with 2.15GB/s read and 1.55GB/s write speeds (on PCIe Gen 3 tech) using new 10-nanometer MLC flash tech. It also sips 50 percent less power and only consumes a negligible 2 milliwatts in standby mode. The SSDs will come in 128, 256 and 512GB sizes, but only to major laptop and workstation manufacturers to start with.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
My understanding is that if you shrink the NAND, you sacrifice some endurance. If that is correct, what kind of endurance can we expect out of that new Samsung drive?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

My understanding is that if you shrink the NAND, you sacrifice some endurance. If that is correct, what kind of endurance can we expect out of that new Samsung drive?

Samsung didn't shrink the NAND for its new drive line. Instead, they've stacked NAND 'wafers' together into a single piece, then stuck that into a single chip. This increases the density without shrinking the process used. Samsung calls this 3D V-NAND, but plenty of other companies are doing the same thing without bothering with fancy branding.

Provided the company is reliable, you can look at the endurance numbers quoted for any drive as a good measure of longevity, without worrying about the actual tech used in the flash memory itself.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

EoRaptor posted:

Samsung didn't shrink the NAND for its new drive line. Instead, they've stacked NAND 'wafers' together into a single piece, then stuck that into a single chip. This increases the density without shrinking the process used. Samsung calls this 3D V-NAND, but plenty of other companies are doing the same thing without bothering with fancy branding.

Provided the company is reliable, you can look at the endurance numbers quoted for any drive as a good measure of longevity, without worrying about the actual tech used in the flash memory itself.

You say that, but the post immediately above his says "10-nanometer MLC".

Not exactly the 3D-VNAND on an older process. I know why you posted this, because it's the first thing I thought, too, so I had to slow down and read the previous post.

Now then, the question is, why isn't it using some 30nm class 3D-VNAND?

Eddain
May 6, 2007
The SSD I use for all my games and programs is running out of space (Samsung 830 Pro 256gb) and I need to get a larger drive.

Should I get the Samsung 850 EVO 500gb?

And if so, the easiest way to transfer my data over would be to image it with something like Macrium Reflect and then just restore that image onto the new SSD?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Sure, but do you really need the extra performance over the 840 EVO? It's quite a big difference in price.

Also you can just use the Samsung migration software.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm sure there was some discussion on this earlier and I wasn't really paying attention, but can someone put this in perspective a bit: I have now around 530 power on hours on my SSD and I'm seeing ~570GB of total host writes. I'm sure that isn't incredibly excessive, but when I start thinking about it as 1GB+ per hour, it sounds like a lot. Is it?

Oblivion590
Nov 23, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm sure there was some discussion on this earlier and I wasn't really paying attention, but can someone put this in perspective a bit: I have now around 530 power on hours on my SSD and I'm seeing ~570GB of total host writes. I'm sure that isn't incredibly excessive, but when I start thinking about it as 1GB+ per hour, it sounds like a lot. Is it?

Even if you do that constantly, it's 26 GB per day, or 1 write cycle of a 240 GB SSD per 9-10 days. That's less than 40 full writes per year before write amplification, and your drive can probably take ~3000 full writes (75 years at 26 GB/day). The NAND in your drive will last as long as you need it to.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Cool, thanks. Can't even imagine what SSD sizes in 2090 are going to be :v:

Actually, 75 years from now is way beyond my expected lifespan, come to think of it :ohdear:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Flipperwaldt posted:

Actually, 75 years from now is way beyond my expected lifespan, come to think of it :ohdear:

Are you remembering to factor in future advances in cybernetics?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

Are you remembering to factor in future advances in cybernetics?
Well, yeah, but when budgetting I've got to pick between that and the moving out before this entire place floods in twenty years.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

td4guy posted:

Sure, but do you really need the extra performance over the 840 EVO? It's quite a big difference in price.

Also you can just use the Samsung migration software.

It looks like there's only like a $20 difference between the 500gb versions. Plus my drive bay is actually full, doesn't the Samsung migration software require both SSDs (source and target) to be connected at the same time?

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Eddain posted:

It looks like there's only like a $20 difference between the 500gb versions. Plus my drive bay is actually full, doesn't the Samsung migration software require both SSDs (source and target) to be connected at the same time?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156036

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Flipperwaldt posted:

Cool, thanks. Can't even imagine what SSD sizes in 2090 are going to be :v:

If civilization is still around and not bartering for drinkable water and 'go juice,' I'd like to think we'd have graduated the technical equivalent of chiseling 1s and 0s into platters, discs, and NAND to marking 1s, 0s, and whatever else is available then in regards to instructions and computational logic, into light storage. And yeah, I know 'holographic storage' already exists to some extent (though not in ~cube~ form, and it's WORM storage), but if we're still using physical media of any type around the turn of the century it'd be sublimely depressing. Kids should be able to look at a 128GB MicroSD card in 2050 and react like kids today look at any-sized floppy.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 10, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Newegg has the Evo 850 250GB (MZ-75E250B/AM) for $132.99 shipped is this the thing where Samsung is trying to push out competition from the market by flooding the market with cheap RAM drives? That's what almost 50 cents a GB? 52.8 cents?

250GB rotational drives were $60 new this time last year, $49 refurbished, I am seeing them new for $45 this year and $25 refurb.

Does Western Digital even make an SSD? Or have they accepted a long and slow death? Newegg had a 5TB external drive last week for $125 which is crazy cheap but by next year it's going to be hard to even think about a large capacity rotational drive when Samsung is offering a 10 year warranty on their consumer drives and they're 6x faster.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 10, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

WD made the SiliconBkue SSD a long time ago. Now they just do hybrids and twin drives

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hadlock posted:

Newegg has the Evo 850 250GB (MZ-75E250B/AM) for $132.99 shipped is this the thing where Samsung is trying to push out competition from the market by flooding the market with cheap RAM drives? That's what almost 50 cents a GB? 52.8 cents?

250GB rotational drives were $60 new this time last year, $49 refurbished, I am seeing them new for $45 this year and $25 refurb.

Does Western Digital even make an SSD? Or have they accepted a long and slow death? Newegg had a 5TB external drive last week for $125 which is crazy cheap but by next year it's going to be hard to even think about a large capacity rotational drive when Samsung is offering a 10 year warranty on their consumer drives and they're 6x faster.

There's sort of a price floor on new rotational drives around $30-40. The best deal right now is WD Blue 1tb disks which go on sale for $50, while smaller disks will not be very much cheaper. Crucial's been pushing the SSD prices down a lot more than Samsung (samsung's drives are typically a little more expensive but still competitive price wise). The amazing deals on Samsung disks tend to be sell-offs on the older models.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Samsung also has several cost advantages over many firms, since pretty much everything is done in-house including fabrication. Fab itself is a cost advantage - Samsung is buildings its NAND on an old, cheap 40nm process yet achieving densities comparable to 19nm NAND thanks to its planar 3D NAND geometry.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

EoRaptor posted:

That is not how V-NAND works. V-NAND refers to a 3D memory array printed onto a single silicon chip, not multiple chips glued together. Also I'm pretty sure Samsung is still the only shipping V-NAND supplier.

You might be confused by the fact that it's very common for even 2D planar NAND flash to use multi-chip packages where several chips are stacked up and encapsulated inside a single package (the black plastic piece visible on SSD circuit boards). In a sense, this is 3-D, but it's not the same thing. V-NAND is a legit new technology, not a mere branding exercise.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

If the 951 is a PCIe version of the 850 Pro, just as the 941 was the PCIe version of the 840 Pro, it's not 10nm planar but instead V-NAND with a ~40nm dimension on the cells and really great endurance.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Everything has been defaulting to partition alignment at sector 2048 (1 MiB) for a while (Windows, Linux, etc). However, the SD Association wants partitions to start at sector 8192 (4 MiB).

Then there is stuff like this:

quote:

Most modern partitioning tools align at least the first partition on a multiple of 2048 sectors by default because this works well for most modern disks; however, some SSDs require still larger values, such as 4096 or even 8192.

I've been partitioning all my drives at 2048, but every time I load a pre-made image (like loading Raspbian) it wipes the card and re-creates the partition at 8192.

Would it be beneficial to start doing partition alignments at sector 8192 going forward?

Macropiper
Feb 11, 2007

Pillbug
Friends don't let friends buy Crucial drives, am replacing my M500 with a Samsung 840 EVO because the M500 does this in my home server. Had to learn how to reboot Linux without using reboot or shutdown today.
code:
[81155.754042] ata7.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x7fffffff SErr 0x50000 action 0x6 frozen
[81155.754065] ata7: SError: { PHYRdyChg CommWake }
[81155.754071] ata7.00: failed command: WRITE FPDMA QUEUED
[81155.754081] ata7.00: cmd 61/18:00:50:16:fc/00:00:00:00:00/40 tag 0 ncq 12288 out
         res 40/00:00:01:01:80/00:00:00:00:00/00 Emask 0x4 (timeout)
Looks like its related to this issue, some related issues appear to affect the MX100 also. My M500 also reports having 83 bad sectors, which is probably not a good thing.

On the positive side, the 840 EVO came with the firmware that fixes the performance issue, so that saved me some time setting things up.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
A dead Intel 335 and a 330. I'm honestly kind of shocked.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

go3 posted:

A dead Intel 335 and a 330. I'm honestly kind of shocked.

My 530 has been showing NAND writes 5-6x higher than host writes since I got it, so honestly I am not super impressed with this supposed "legendary reliability" of Intel SSDs.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Instant Grat posted:

My 530 has been showing NAND writes 5-6x higher than host writes since I got it, so honestly I am not super impressed with this supposed "legendary reliability" of Intel SSDs.

Go dump 5x write amp on anyone else's drive and see how reliable those are.

How are you using the drive? Free space, overprovisioning, TRIM, workload.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Factory Factory posted:

Go dump 5x write amp on anyone else's drive and see how reliable those are.

How are you using the drive? Free space, overprovisioning, TRIM, workload.

It's my OS/program drive. 240 gig model, 60 or so GB used. All my games are on a spinner. The SSD has just over 1TB of host writes after 3 or so months in use, and yet there's a write amplification of almost 7x on it:

Googling returns a thread on Intel's forums with a bunch of people having the same issue and no solution or cause offered.

It's working fine apart from that, but at this rate I'll probably end up replacing it before 2015 is out just to be on the safe side.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 13, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you are only using 60gb's why not throw some games on it?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I don't really play a lot of games that benefit noticeably from super-fast load times, and as you can imagine I'm feeling a bit wary about loading 30-40 gigs of extra stuff on there with the amount of shuffling my data around it seems to be doing.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Anti-Hero posted:

Give me a week and I can tell you :v: I had my EVO die due to a suspected PSU problem. I'll know more once Samsung receives the drive for RMA.

I posted earlier in the thread about my Samsung 840 EVO 1TB bricking around the Holidays. I just received my new refurbished drive from Samsung but with no explanation from the RMA servicer what happened to the failed unit. As memory serves I had maybe 1.5 TB of read/writes so I wouldn't think it was an endurance problem. I guess these just brick sometimes :v: I bought a 850 Pro in the interim as I was pretty certain the EVO wouldn't be covered under warranty, so I'm pleasantly surprised it came back in my favor but now need to figure out what to do with the drive.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Everything fails.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Anti-Hero posted:

I posted earlier in the thread about my Samsung 840 EVO 1TB bricking around the Holidays. I just received my new refurbished drive from Samsung but with no explanation from the RMA servicer what happened to the failed unit. As memory serves I had maybe 1.5 TB of read/writes so I wouldn't think it was an endurance problem. I guess these just brick sometimes :v: I bought a 850 Pro in the interim as I was pretty certain the EVO wouldn't be covered under warranty, so I'm pleasantly surprised it came back in my favor but now need to figure out what to do with the drive.

You could probably sell it on ebay or SA-Mart as long as you're clear about it being a refurb, etc. Alternatively find a relative/friend who's suffering with some old piece of poo poo and put an SSD in it to give them a couple more years with their junker computer.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Instant Grat posted:

It's working fine apart from that, but at this rate I'll probably end up replacing it before 2015 is out just to be on the safe side.

Uhh why?

Anyway my Samsung drives don't even show NAND writes so anything could be going on there

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Rexxed posted:

You could probably sell it on ebay or SA-Mart as long as you're clear about it being a refurb, etc. Alternatively find a relative/friend who's suffering with some old piece of poo poo and put an SSD in it to give them a couple more years with their junker computer.

I don't want to poo poo up this thread much, but any idea what a refurb would go for? Brand new they are about $420 on Amazon so would $350 be too much/too little?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Anti-Hero posted:

I don't want to poo poo up this thread much, but any idea what a refurb would go for? Brand new they are about $420 on Amazon so would $350 be too much/too little?

Synthetik has sold like thirty or forty on SA-Mart for $350 new so you might have to go a bit cheaper. IIRC they have been on sale down to $360-380 too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So if anyone was considering that new MSI laptop (GS30, I think) that comes with a PCIe dock, they might want to know that the 2x 128GB M.2 drives the main laptop uses in lieu of an HDD or 2.5" SSD are 128GB Kingstons with PHISON controller chips.

• Locked thread