Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Do they actually offer hats for cats and small dogs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Jastiger posted:

Thats the thing though. I get they need sponsors. But they respect the audience (and remain neutral) by just explaining what it is, where to get it, and yeah they gave us some money. No gimmicks. No loud music. No insults to my intelligence or an appeal to the lowest common denominator. If every ad was like that, i'd be a much happier person.
That poo poo all goes out the window when it's pledge day week month.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

bigtom posted:

OOH! Another pet peeve of mine...recording said client over the phone for the commercial. Cell phone too, as calling from their desk would be too inconvenient as they are important and always on the go.
I never heard so many of these as I did when I lived in Saskatchewan. They love lovely cell phone recording ads from local businesses. The best was that there were one or two with a new ad every month, so it had to be a conscious decision not to use something better.

They also loving loved high-pitched squeaky Alvin and the Chipmunk voices, and talking animals (more on TV than radio obv).

What a wasteland.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I own a great example of poor marketing. After Triumph was revived in the early 90s, the started developing a new line of motorcycles and the flagship bike in 1997 was the Daytona T595. To evoke some sort of heritage it was meant to stand for:
- Triumph
- 5th generation
- 950cc

Of course, here in the states, idiots would walk into the showroom and say things like "595? Is that like a six hunert? For almost $11k?" Then, they'd go to one of the big 4 dealers and buy a 600 for $7k. Thing is, the T595 is a 955cc but has "t595 plastered on the tail piece.

It took Triumph two years to figure it out after many of the 97-98 models sat on the showroom for 1-2 years unsold like the one I own that I bought new in the summer of 2000. They changed the name to 955i and the bikes magically sold better afterwards .

Kirk Vikernes has a new favorite as of 03:38 on Jan 12, 2015

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
The reason that movies have so many ads in front of them is simple, the studio makes money selling the ads, and its really the only place anymore that you can't change the channel, you can't fast forward. Basically movie audiences are the most attentive audiences due to not being able to control it.

chuushahime
Jan 11, 2015

Flaggy posted:

The reason that movies have so many ads in front of them is simple, the studio makes money selling the ads, and its really the only place anymore that you can't change the channel, you can't fast forward. Basically movie audiences are the most attentive audiences due to not being able to control it.

I bring portable game consoles to movies for this very reason.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Flaggy posted:

Pretty sure those are all theater based because the one in my area doesn't have any "ad" ads before movies. Once it starts you just get trailers.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Flaggy posted:

Which is a big reason why I stopped going to see movies in the theater. You can only hamfistedly exploit the customer for so long. Gotta be more subtle, son.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

muscles like this? posted:

Pretty sure those are all theater based because the one in my area doesn't have any "ad" ads before movies. Once it starts you just get trailers.

Nope, it's contracts, and that poo poo comes from way above the theatre. Same way that theatres get dick from ticket sales for the first few weeks, especially on blockbusters.

This only applies to first run theatres. Dollar theatres and revivals don't have to deal with the same poo poo.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Flaggy posted:

Not the studio, the distributor and the theater.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME
So here's the latest turd from McDonald's.

I thought the whole "Adversaries" animated thing was pretty good as far as commercials go, and that song is catchy, but this one makes me seethe. I'm not sure who is more cynical here: me, for thinking that this kind of rah-rah flag waving and co-opting of feel good bullshit in pursuit of corporate profits is a perfect distillation of what America now stands for, or McDonald's for thinking they can sneak this by without getting slammed for it. The only few that struck me as genuine/smile-worthy/cool were the shots of the McDonalds that were open or would be open soon in the face of natural disasters, and the marriage, baby, and birthday ones. The rest were smarmy in the worst possible way, and the "Keep Jobs in Toledo" one was absolutely rageworthy. McDonald's: We absolutely support workers! Except our own when they call us out on our bullshit.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
They care about people! But employees aren't people.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

re: Songs that are completely lost on advertisers:

H&R Block is running commercials about "getting your billions back" while using The O'Jays' "For the Love of Money" as a background song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaYuX3TkHVo

All the advertisers hear is a funky bassline and phased drums with the words "money money money money, money" and that's good enough for a commercial about money, right? Well the song is named after and based around a biblical verse ("For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows") and follows as such by saying money makes you a greedy, murderous, backstabbing, conniving dickwad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXE_n2q08Yw

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

You Are A Elf posted:

H&R Block is running commercials about "getting your billions back" while using The O'Jays' "For the Love of Money" as a background song.

All the advertisers hear is a funky bassline and phased drums with the words "money money money money, money" and that's good enough for a commercial about money, right? Well the song is named after and based around a biblical verse ("For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows") and follows as such by saying money makes you a greedy, murderous, backstabbing, conniving dickwad.

reminds me of when one of our 'prestigious' new zealand banks used the symphonic in 'bitter sweet symphony' for their adverts. with horses galloping in slow motion and such.

the first few lines (which obviously didn't make it to the ad) of the song are;

'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life
Try to make ends meet
You're a slave to money then you die

nice one national bank

Davfff has a new favorite as of 07:24 on Jan 12, 2015

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

You Are A Elf posted:

Another song that probably got picked by someone unfamiliar with it's context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLYk0CgxQbM

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Do they actually offer hats for cats and small dogs?

Yes, apparently they do. It's one lady that makes them all herself just for Mail Chimp.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Your Sledgehammer posted:

I thought the whole "Adversaries" animated thing was pretty good as far as commercials go, and that song is catchy, but this one makes me seethe. I'm not sure who is more cynical here: me, for thinking that this kind of rah-rah flag waving and co-opting of feel good bullshit in pursuit of corporate profits is a perfect distillation of what America now stands for, or McDonald's for thinking they can sneak this by without getting slammed for it. The only few that struck me as genuine/smile-worthy/cool were the shots of the McDonalds that were open or would be open soon in the face of natural disasters, and the marriage, baby, and birthday ones. The rest were smarmy in the worst possible way, and the "Keep Jobs in Toledo" one was absolutely rageworthy. McDonald's: We absolutely support workers! Except our own when they call us out on our bullshit.

McDonald's has some pretty hilarious marketing disasters. The Arch Deluxe is ranked as one of the biggest marketing flops ever, and as soon as it launched I remember seeing ads and going "what the gently caress are they trying to sell? adult taste? what does that even mean?"

Then you get McDonald's pizza, an offering that required you to place an order, wait 11 minutes for it to cook, at a place where people want to get food and go in 3 minutes or less.

There was the classic 1984 Olympics offer, where McD's had to hand out insane amounts of free food when the USSR didn't compete.

The Monopoly disaster where it turned out that since starting the annual contest all the winning pieces were stolen and funneled to family and friends by the guy in charge of distributing them.

quote:

In 2000, the US promotion was halted after fraud was uncovered. A subcontracting company called Simon Marketing (a then-subsidiary of Cyrk), which had been hired by McDonald's to organize and promote the game, failed to recognize a flaw in its procedures. Chief of security Jerome P. Jacobson[2] was able to remove the most expensive game pieces, which he then passed to associates who would redeem them and share the proceeds. The associates won almost all of the top prizes between 1995 and 2000, including McDonald's giveaways that did not have the Monopoly theme. The associates netted over $24 million. While the fraud appeared to have been perpetrated by only one key employee of the promotion company, and not by the company's management, eight people were originally arrested, leading to a total of 21 indicted individuals.[3] The relationship between McDonald's and Simon Marketing broke down in a pair of lawsuits over breach of contract, eventually settled out of court, with McDonald's' claim being thrown out and Simon receiving $16.6 million.[4] Due to a constitutional violation, four of those convicted of the fraud were later released as they were not initially charged with the offense.[5]

In 1995, St. Jude Children's Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee received an anonymous letter postmarked Dallas, Texas, containing a $1 million winning game piece. Although game rules prohibited the transfer of prizes, McDonald's waived the rule and made its last $50,000 annual payment in 2014.[6] Investigations later indicated that Jacobson had admitted to sending the winning piece to the hospital

Either the McD's marketing department had huge turnovers or the idea guys making the new products refused to listen to market research.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Hey McDonald's pizza was loving delicious

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sappo569 posted:

subway does a reasonably fast terrible pizza, maybe technology has caught up and they can try again

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sappo569 posted:

Just from seeing how industrialized and rote the pizza making technology today is for delivery, I imagine the McD's pizza was a precooked pizza circle they tossed sauce and cheese on. Given how hard it is to screw up pizza sauce (tomatoes, oil, some spices, not much else) and how good even cheap mozzarella is unless they engineered some weird super inexpensive cheese like how the made their McLean, it probably wouldn't taste bad. 11 minutes is like sit down restaurant time as far as the average McD consumer is concerned

I worked in a Sbarro's during college and it took us a minute or two to make a pizza from scratch. Once you have everything prepped you can make it in seconds and the cook time its the only hurdle, and for the pre-made pizza circles we had a huge stack of them in the fridge we just grabbed one, dropped the sauce down, cheese, and toppings in maybe 30 seconds.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

pentyne posted:

Just from seeing how industrialized and rote the pizza making technology today is for delivery, I imagine the McD's pizza was a precooked pizza circle they tossed sauce and cheese on. Given how hard it is to screw up pizza sauce (tomatoes, oil, some spices, not much else) and how good even cheap mozzarella is unless they engineered some weird super inexpensive cheese like how the made their McLean, it probably wouldn't taste bad. 11 minutes is like sit down restaurant time as far as the average McD consumer is concerned

I worked in a Sbarro's during college and it took us a minute or two to make a pizza from scratch. Once you have everything prepped you can make it in seconds and the cook time its the only hurdle, and for the pre-made pizza circles we had a huge stack of them in the fridge we just grabbed one, dropped the sauce down, cheese, and toppings in maybe 30 seconds.

I can't remember too many details because I was about 11 or 12 at the time Mcdonalds had their pizza, but I remember foaming at the mouth if I knew dad was bringing it home

They had two sizes I think, large and personal size, which was actually a pretty decent size for one person.

Plus this was the late 80's early 90's, people didn't mind waiting 11 minutes I guess, not like today where people throw a tantrum after waiting 30 seconds

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sappo569 posted:

I can't remember too many details because I was about 11 or 12 at the time Mcdonalds had their pizza, but I remember foaming at the mouth if I knew dad was bringing it home

They had two sizes I think, large and personal size, which was actually a pretty decent size for one person.

Plus this was the late 80's early 90's, people didn't mind waiting 11 minutes I guess, not like today where people throw a tantrum after waiting 30 seconds

Hey man. They've been waiting 10 minutes for their food and that's unacceptable.

You aren't allowed to call them out on it by checking the receipt either. Both customers and management get mad when you do that.

And never point out grilled chicken takes almost 8 minutes to cook and they ordered it fresh. Because down that path lies madness.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
If you have a Casey's gas station near you it's way better than cheap gas station pizza has any right to be. Not as good as a legitimate pizza, but still.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Len posted:

Hey man. They've been waiting 10 minutes for their food and that's unacceptable.

You aren't allowed to call them out on it by checking the receipt either. Both customers and management get mad when you do that.

And never point out grilled chicken takes almost 8 minutes to cook and they ordered it fresh. Because down that path lies madness.

Sounds like it'd gently caress up the customer throughput of a McDonalds if you get a bunch of people sitting around waiting for pizza all day at the counter. If 10 people order pizza at once they could be hanging around for ages.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I honestly don't remember the last time I walked out of a McDonalds in less then 10 minutes, they prioratize the Drive through here. It's actually kind of sad when you consider that everything is pre-made in pieces, then thrown into a bin, and then only one of like seven people actually makes the food.

Mr. Welfare
Feb 12, 2009

Centrelink's Finest
I recall back in high school that Mars Bars got marginally smaller. I didn't think much about it until I was reading the newspaper one day and read a advert from Mars Co. to the effect that they claimed that the loss in size was because the head office chimps were concerned about the obesity rate of Australia, and selflessly reduced the size of the bars, in order to combat this plague.

A more cynical and craven excuse I would have a hard time thinking of.

To be fair, Australians are fat.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Anora posted:

I honestly don't remember the last time I walked out of a McDonalds in less then 10 minutes, they prioratize the Drive through here. It's actually kind of sad when you consider that everything is pre-made in pieces, then thrown into a bin, and then only one of like seven people actually makes the food.

It's true, awhile ago they changed the way they take orders... any mcdonalds I goto now it's easily 10-15 min for an order, line or not

When I worked there in the mid 90's, we would have a holding bin of prepared food, that would stay there for 10 min max (either it would get thrown out, unlikely, or someone would order it).

The benefits of having someone walk up and order a bigmac, and have it in their hands literally 20 seconds later, far outweighed binning a few hamburgers over the course of a day

Ugh that turned into a rant !

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

pentyne posted:

The Monopoly disaster where it turned out that since starting the annual contest all the winning pieces were stolen and funneled to family and friends by the guy in charge of distributing them.

Wait a minute...a higher-up guy at the marketing company in charge of doing the Monopoly game admitted to performing fraud, and yet somehow McD's had to PAY them?!

I't says "breach of contract," so I'm guessing McD's just cut off all ties with them, with broke the contract, but you'd think someone at the marketing company committing fraud and, essentially, stealing money from McD's would be a valid reason to break the contract.

And again, I know very little about this sort of thing, but shouldn't whoever was underwriting these promotions/contests have noticed this?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sappo569 posted:

It's true, awhile ago they changed the way they take orders... any mcdonalds I goto now it's easily 10-15 min for an order, line or not

When I worked there in the mid 90's, we would have a holding bin of prepared food, that would stay there for 10 min max (either it would get thrown out, unlikely, or someone would order it).
I don't often go to McDonald's, but whenever I've been there at times they expect to be busy they've done this, but if I go in at three in the afternoon or whatever then they generally have to make it from scratch. I can't see why they would ever change that, it just makes sense. You don't waste food by having it prepared when no one wants it and you don't end up with a billion people hanging around waiting at busy times. :confused:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Tracula posted:

From a page back but I remember seeing Terminator 3 when it opened on the 2nd of July. Even back then there was 30-35 minutes of previews before it.

It depends on how new/big the movie is, new releases and blockbusters typically have more ads than smaller movies nearing the end of their run.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

pentyne posted:

For those curious, Pomeroy, OH has a McD's that still sells the pizza, this is what it looks like if bought today:

Looks like they could have done a lot worse, but I've never actually tried it myself.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
That doesn't look anywhere near as terrible as I was expecting. I mean, I wouldn't order it, but it doesn't look super gross, just kinda gross.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
As they say, pizza is like sex. Even when it's bad, it's still alright.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'd hit it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

pentyne posted:

McDonald's has some pretty hilarious marketing disasters. The Arch Deluxe is ranked as one of the biggest marketing flops ever, and as soon as it launched I remember seeing ads and going "what the gently caress are they trying to sell? adult taste? what does that even mean?"

Then you get McDonald's pizza, an offering that required you to place an order, wait 11 minutes for it to cook, at a place where people want to get food and go in 3 minutes or less.

There was the classic 1984 Olympics offer, where McD's had to hand out insane amounts of free food when the USSR didn't compete.

Don't forget the McDLT. Just as the collective consciousness of the USA was waking up to being concerned about the environment, leading up to things like the big Earth Day anniversary in 1990, a whole bunch of mass-marketed "save the planet" crap, and a general opposition to styrofoam packaging, McDonald's comes out with a sandwich box that takes twice as much styrofoam as normal. Starring Jason Alexander:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTSdUOC8Kac

Putting aside for the moment the discussion over whether or not styrofoam is environmentally worse than a similar amount paper packaging, the zeigeist was clearly not with them and they pulled it from the market in late 1990.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

pentyne posted:

Either the McD's marketing department had huge turnovers or the idea guys making the new products refused to listen to market research.

Then there was their infamous McAfrika burger: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/aug/24/famine.andrewosborn

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Your Sledgehammer posted:

Reminds me of a recent TV-commercial they ran here in Sweden, all sentimental in how they put their faith in young people which they mostly hire. It's just so transparent because a few years ago our government reduced employment taxes on people below 25 years of age.
Pretending that it's done for any other reason than profit really makes me cringe at that commercial.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hug Those Dads is a pro-tier sign tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Abhorrence posted:

Another song that probably got picked by someone unfamiliar with it's context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLYk0CgxQbM

Another : 'Make me smile (Come up and see me)' has been used in the UK a lot in ads selling furniture, because it's quite catchy and the chorus sounds nice and pleasant, when it's actually quite bitter and twisted.
"In a television interview recorded in 2002, Harley described how the lyrics are vindictively directed at the former band members who, he felt, had abandoned him."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpJ0cyXbMbI