Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Chomp8645 posted:

Holey moley, that can't be standard setup for eight players. The homeworlds are only two spaces apart? Madness.

Standard setup is homeworlds on the fourth ring three spaces apart, but it looks like they're doing some homebrew thing with walls that make the home systems effectively three spaces apart anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Alex WS posted:

I'm looking to buy a strategy game with territory building and conflict between players. Preferably one with a strong theme and unique player abilities. I was pretty much decided on Small World, but the more I read about it, the more it seems very, very light, and easily outgrown. My group really enjoy Risk Legacy and Eclipse, so Small World might be too light? I've looked briefly on a few other games. I really want a game playable by more than 2 players (so BattleLore and Mage Wars are no gos), and preferably with good art and cool looking units (no wooden cubes thanks). Any good suggestions? Is RuneWars good?

Bonus question: I've seen many people using round, clear plastic trays for storing tokens in. Like the ones seen in here: http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/v/the-opener-pandemic/. Anybody know where I can buy these?

I second the Kemet suggestion, it has everything you want and more.

Bonus answer: What you want is Plano Boxes. They are easily available everywhere with countless imitations based on the country you live. They are most easily found in fishing equipment stores and hardware stores if you don't want to order online.

Skip buying Small World. Go try it somewhere and you'll see that it doesn't really bring anything new to the table aside looking pretty. I wouldn't even recommended it a gateway game since it's only slightly better as recommending Munchkin as one.

Avoid RuneWars like plague. It is the epitome of the definition of Ameritrash.

*Tons of pieces moving around, none really helping what's going on.
*Everything changing wildly based on the bad thing of the year card draws. You spent your whole turn gathering resources so you can build units next turn? Too bad the event that wastes resources cleaned them out. The other guy who spent his turn doing something else doesn't get effected at all, isn't that exciting?
*Weird combat system that tries to mash up rock-papers-scissors with card-driven combat but fails by making cards a random draw. Resulting in you not knowing anything about what's going to happen in a combat when going into one.
*Heroes walking around the map doing quests but not really doing anything that effect the game aside adding another layer to deal with.
*Voting system to decide stuff which the race that has extra votes wins every time. Unless you want to spend three times the resources to win that one vote, one time.
*Complicated map building system that decides half of the game's results before the game even begins.

There are few games I hate more. Played this once at the vacation thing in Greece with a group of guys including Touko, the designer of Eclipse, and they all loved it. I never understood what they liked in it. Even Tom Vassel and Sam Healey call it mediocre not in so few words of course and they LOOOOVE this type of stuff.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lord Frisk posted:

Fair enough. I know gently caress all about warhammer outside of shoulder pads and skulls.

Still plenty of shoulder pads and skulls in WFB, just not scifi ones.

I really must play CItOW some time, I understand it's supposed ot be really good.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mega64 posted:

Next up I busted up a three-player game of Quantum with a different player. I was impressed by how well-designed everything looked. I really liked how the values of the ship were important in a way that you don't want just low or high-valued ships, and that changing them was a big part of the game. I was also impressed by how useful both sets of cards were, as they changed the direction of the game at one point, where the other player and I used the cards that removed upgrades on the third player, who had four cubes out and was one Dominance away from winning with her fifth, letting the second player beat her up in combat and knock her Dominance down. It actually got turned around a bit and I managed to catch up by claiming a planet and then grabbing the card to move a cube away so I could be set to take it again, but the third player managed to win again with Dominance. The second player was so impressed with the game, she later got another group to give it a try. I really like how quick and elegant it is, and look forward to playing it more.

Rules Question: If you place a cube during the card phase, do you then get to draw another card? For instance, when I placed a cube on the turn, I used my card draw at the end of the turn to grab the +2 Dominance card, enough to let me place a cube. I assume you could, but it's good to clarify first.

Rules Answer: Yes. The main thing to keep in mind is that cards happen at the end of your turn so you cannot, for example, place a cube for an Expansion card and use that ship in your third action. Looks like you didn't make that mistake, but I've had it come up before.

Bonus rules violation: You cannot use Relocate to move your own cubes, specifically to avoid those situations where you can place another next turn without moving any ships. It's a rather useful card to stymie opponents, but you need to do things like moving one of their cubes onto a planet they put a lot of effort into surrounding.

Rule of thumb: Something I've kept in mind while learning the game: if a white card specifies something you thought always happened, check the rulebook. For example, I only learned that the attacker is not destroyed if they lose combat when I found a race ability that destroys the attacker when they lose combat.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic

Lorini posted:

Where do you live dude, we gotta meet up sometime :). Arkwright has lasted from 3 and a half hours to 5+ hours for us in three plays.

Wrong coast :(

Alex WS posted:

Bonus question: I've seen many people using round, clear plastic trays for storing tokens in. Like the ones seen in here: http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/v/the-opener-pandemic/. Anybody know where I can buy these?

There's also these. I've used them for a few games (Rosenberg, Splotter Spellen, etc) that have a tremendous amount of different pieces AND the box space for a connected "tube" of these dishes. I think I bought that pack I linked, or a very close equivalent, and found it good enough for 1-2 games. Which makes it a tad pricey to invest in for all games I'd find suitable, and at that it comes with a bunch of super-small size, inch diameter or so, that I find basically unusable. But my copies of Antiquity and Ora & Labora have used these since day 1 and I'm not inclined to switch them out.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

I checked the last couple of pages and didn't see this mentioned, but I just played The Captain is Dead, a humorous sci-fi co-op boardgame for 2-7 players and loved it.

quote:

The last 10 minutes of your favorite Sci-Fi show that has gone so badly that The Captain is Dead!

Attention Crew! The captain is dead! Our jump core is offline. There is a hostile alien ship off our port side. We need to get our jump core back online so we can get out of here. You have trained for this. You know what needs to be done. Go do it!

You start by choosing a character from each color, which represents an archetype on the show; Blue is Command like the First Officer or the Admiral, Yellow has the Transporter Chief and Chief Engineer, Grey has the Janitor and the Hologram, etc. Only one role from each color can be played, and each role has its own special power, as well as a hand limit for skill cards, a rank for determining play order, skill types, and number of free actions. For instance, I played the Transporter Chief (aka Chief O'Brien), which allowed me two free teleport actions around the ship, as well as four free actions and 1 Engineering skill point. You start your turn by moving around the ship to whatever room you'd like to perform an action in. This could include going to the CPU Room to fix the computer systems that were taken offline or to draw skill cards (more on these later), going to the Infirmary to get healed after an alien attack, or to the Armory to use the Torpedo Bay to destroy alien ships. Once you end your turn, you draw an Alert Card.

Alert Cards (which begin at low-level Yellow and end at "Oh poo poo we are going to die" Red) break your ship by taking down important systems like internal scanners and the transporter, damaging your shields, by having enemy aliens board your ship and attack players, or have enemy ships surround your ship and fire on your systems. Your goal is to not only survive all of these things, but to also get your jump core back online (this allows you to set the difficulty of the game, from Coward to Insanity), which requires a certain amount of Engineering skill points, as well as free actions. Skill points can be listed on a player's card, drawn from the Cargo Pod in the Cargo Bay, or picked up in the CPU Room, and the skills are Tactical, Command, Engineering, Science. Each ship system has its own skill requirement, as well as free action requirement. For instance, fixing the jump core requires five Engineering skill points and two free actions. It also takes multiple turns to fix the core, as each level of repair requires the actions + skill points, i.e. the higher you set the difficulty, the more turns you have to spend repairing the jump core. If you repair the jump core all the way to "Engaged", you win, regardless of the status of your ship's systems, if you are surrounded by alien ships, or if there are aliens on your ship.

As Chief O'Brien, I could teleport to Engineering and fix the jump core for only four Engineering skill points (because of the 1 Engineering point my character already had). These special abilities allow you to create a strategy to use to try to win, and cooperation is key. You can trade skill cards for one action point, so whenever anyone got an Engineering card, they handed it to me. We had a Medical Officer who was good at Science (allowing them to use Research to improve our ship, and also battle against Alert Cards that had permanent effects, like Increased Gravity, which increased the number of actions it took to move from one room to the next), so we gave her all of the Science cards. We also worked together when an Alert came up to figure out who was the best person to fight whatever the issue was. If aliens boarded the ship, our Security Officer could use 1 action to kill multiple aliens (instead of 1 action per alien), as long as they were in the Armory. I could freely teleport around to fix anything that needed Engineering, and our Tactical Officer was handy for whenever the shields were damaged (which was pretty much every turn, so they got all of the Tactical cards). Discussion is key, as you need to figure out what systems are worth fixing first (after the first few turns, you will have at least two systems down at once), as well as who should be where, who should fix what, and what Research is important to do. You have to work together because one person absolutely cannot do everything.

Here's their Kickstarter page to see pictures and videos (the tokens are different in the actual game, but the cards and game board look the same): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thegamecrafter/the-captain-is-dead. They've been fully funded (4300% in fact), so the game is on sale through The Game Crafter here for $50. My friends and I had a ton of fun playing this game, and again, it works for up to 7, so it's good for large or odd-numbered groups. The pieces, board, and cards are all good quality and the artwork is really cool. I would say well worth the money if you like cheesy sci-fi action and co-op boardgames.

Skutter fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 11, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
That sounds like a really really watered down version of Battlestar Galactica.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I have been playing Takenoko on BGA and been getting owned by people who have played a lot.

The strategy seems to get ~6 objectives played and then hoard panda cards and food until the last turn.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Some Numbers posted:

It does, but as someone who likes BSG I'd say that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm rather skeptical of a fully cooperative version of BSG with a ton of the rules removed.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
played more dominion as it is now all I want to do, one game tried to go BM/Council Room but then got cruelly pipped out at the end by my friend's giant clusterfuck of crap resulting in him hoovering up 10 gardens in two turns while I just failed to draw the coins to buy Provinces and end the game before he could pull it off. This game has really captured the hearts of me and a couple of friends, it's small playercount working to its advantage with regards to getting games going.

Anyway, this is the part where I ask what expansions come recommended for Dominion because drat there's a lot of them and they all look pretty cool. Paging Broken Loose to the thread. We've been playing exclusively with the base set up to this point.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Buying in release order works fine (Alchemy is skippable but it's worth proxying Apprentice if you do, on occasion), but for my money if you want to skip straight to an expansion that has a lot of interesting cards and really adds a lot of interesting ways to play, Hinterlands is probably the best, or Prosperity.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

played more dominion as it is now all I want to do, one game tried to go BM/Council Room but then got cruelly pipped out at the end by my friend's giant clusterfuck of crap resulting in him hoovering up 10 gardens in two turns while I just failed to draw the coins to buy Provinces and end the game before he could pull it off. This game has really captured the hearts of me and a couple of friends, it's small playercount working to its advantage with regards to getting games going.

Anyway, this is the part where I ask what expansions come recommended for Dominion because drat there's a lot of them and they all look pretty cool. Paging Broken Loose to the thread. We've been playing exclusively with the base set up to this point.

Go in release order, but skip Alchemy.

So that's Intrigue -> Seaside -> Prosperity. I don't know what came after Prosperity, because I was (and still am) burned out on Dominion.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

I believe the standard advice is to buy expansions in publication order, skipping Alchemy. I would add that if you read about the expansions and any of them has a mechanical theme that appeals to you, go ahead and grab it (Seaside has more funky action combos, Prosperity has interesting treasure stuff and cards with 9+ cost, etc.). Dark Ages is complicated and should be saved for later (and I understand Guilds may be the same?). Dominion: Intrigue is the only stand-alone expansion, so I suggest skipping it if you think you can goad a friend into buying it later, then you don't have to.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Work through the expansions in release order except Alchemy, save that for last. If there's a specific theme or playstyle you like then possibly reprioritise, e.g. Intrigue has more player interaction, Seaside has more long-term planning, Prosperity is about big money, Cornucopia is about having a variety of cards, etc.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Some Numbers posted:

Go in release order, but skip Alchemy.

So that's Intrigue -> Seaside -> Prosperity. I don't know what came after Prosperity, because I was (and still am) burned out on Dominion.

Before DA and Guilds I often heard "go in release order, but skip Seaside until the end and skip Alchemy altogether". Seaside's duration cards add a complication to the game mechanics that not everyone likes, and it's also the least thematically solid set.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Cool, thanks guys. I'll probably spring for Intrigue and Prosperity (bish bosh loadsa dosh is pleasing to me) to play about with next time and go from there. It's a shame Alchemy isn't favourably received, I was looking forward to making endless potion seller jokes.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Sounds more like a slightly more complicated reskin of Pandemic, to me. With a security guy that kills all the diseas...I mean, aliens, and lots of trading cards around. But hard to say without playing it.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

I'm rather skeptical of a fully cooperative version of BSG with a ton of the rules removed.

malkav11 posted:

Sounds more like a slightly more complicated reskin of Pandemic, to me. With a security guy that kills all the diseas...I mean, aliens, and lots of trading cards around. But hard to say without playing it.

I have yet to play either one of those games, so I can't comment on the similarities/discrepancies unfortunately. I can say though that this was my first time I've played a truly cooperative game (I played Betrayal at House on the Hill, but that didn't play like this one did) and I really enjoyed it. As much as I enjoy competitive games, I had a lot more fun playing this, and am looking forward to the next game night to play it again. It was really easy to pick up, maybe 10-15 minutes' worth of explanation, and each character card has a turn info cheat sheet on the back, so it wasn't unnecessarily difficult to keep track of gameplay either. If I get a chance to play BSG or Pandemic, I will definitely come back and do a quick comparison, but otherwise this is my only experience with this genre of boardgame.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I played my first round of Stone Age the other night. It has a nice WP-light feel, a nice change-up from the crunchy WP games like Caverna/Belfort/Dungeon Petz that we usually play. I get the general flow of the game, though I'm not sure I have a good sense of strategy and was wondering if anybody had any tips? I had a close game with my friend (his first time playing too), he beat me out by about 10 points right at the end because he'd gotten all 8 of the technology symbols, while I'd concentrated more on huts, and cards which scored off of population or farming track.

We were playing with the usual WP philosophy that recruiting more peeps is higher priority than everything else, so on alternate turns whichever of us was starting player visited the SEX HUT, while the other player went to the fields (+ farming track) or got a tool. Tools look super useful once you accumulate a few, but I'm not quite sure when/how to best prioritize them.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

More people is *not* the most important thing, early; generally you either go heavy tools (making every die count more) or heavy farms (and then recruit more people once you basically never have to send people to feed).

In terms of points, you usually want a primary focus (tools, people, farms, huts) to go for the multipliers, and a secondary one, and try to get as many of the tech cards as you can, while you're at it.

You can do heavy people and starve which is pretty hilarious as a strategy, but not for beginners.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!
So maybe a bit off topic, but is there a way on BGG to combine the game collections of a few people into a master list? I'd like to have a list of games owned by my gaming group. Maybe be able to swap people in and out occasionally depending on who can show up? Mainly so if someone wants to play a certain game, they can look on the list and know who to ask to bring it.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Skutter posted:

I have yet to play either one of those games, so I can't comment on the similarities/discrepancies unfortunately. I can say though that this was my first time I've played a truly cooperative game (I played Betrayal at House on the Hill, but that didn't play like this one did) and I really enjoyed it. As much as I enjoy competitive games, I had a lot more fun playing this, and am looking forward to the next game night to play it again. It was really easy to pick up, maybe 10-15 minutes' worth of explanation, and each character card has a turn info cheat sheet on the back, so it wasn't unnecessarily difficult to keep track of gameplay either. If I get a chance to play BSG or Pandemic, I will definitely come back and do a quick comparison, but otherwise this is my only experience with this genre of boardgame.

No offense but if you haven't played Space Alert your opinion on a 'co-operatively save a space ship from various dangers' board game is meaningless to me.

This game does look more like Pandemic with more stuff in it though. The downtime must be pretty bad with 5+ players.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Bubble-T posted:

This game does look more like Pandemic with more stuff in it though. The downtime must be pretty bad with 5+ players.

There was no point during the game where anyone was getting bored, checking the time, wondering when their turn was going to come. Play is pretty quick, turns are fast, and because everyone is participating pretty much every turn no matter who is going, it doesn't feel like there is any downtime.

I've been meaning to play Space Alert, but so far I haven't been able to find anyone playing it during game night. v:shobon:v

E: To explain myself a little better, a turn goes like this:

-Decide on an action (Ex: Fix a broken system / Heal self / Research / Fix jump core / Collect skill point cards)
-Move to location to perform that action (Ex: Go to Engineering to fix transporter, head to Medical Bay to heal self, go to the Armory to kill aliens/ships)
-Spend skill points/free actions to complete action
-Draw Alert Card and follow what it says (Ex: Add more aliens to the ship, break a ship system, add damage to the shields)
-End turn

It can get a little more complex than that depending on what Alert Card effects are in play, if you want to trade cards, if you want to stop the Alert Card from taking effect, but I felt it was simple enough to be easy to pick up and play, but not boring or dumb. If this game sounds like BSG, Pandemic and Space Alert, I'm definitely going to enjoy those because I really enjoyed this one.

Skutter fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 12, 2015

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

QnoisX posted:

So maybe a bit off topic, but is there a way on BGG to combine the game collections of a few people into a master list? I'd like to have a list of games owned by my gaming group. Maybe be able to swap people in and out occasionally depending on who can show up? Mainly so if someone wants to play a certain game, they can look on the list and know who to ask to bring it.

Make a guild. There's programs that'll grab the data and let you sort via various filters and criteria.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Gonna link the Hobby Lobby dominion box again because it really is the best solution by far for storage.
[quote]

Nevvy Z posted:

Sure. It's not an ideal system right now because my sleeves are lovely and even 11 cards slide right out if I'm not careful, but you can organize it however you want within the box. My solution does lead to things bouncing around a bit and if it wears any cards noticeably I might have to do something about it, even if its just sticking a thing of foam down either side to make it flush. This is everything but alchemy because gently caress potions and gently caress alchemy.

This is the top tray:

Those are each of the agricola more buildings expansions in the left and right bins. I'm thinking if I can fit the cards somewhere I can fit all the little tokens for 7W in that middle bin but that might be crazy.

Here is the main box sans the larger flat bits covering everything:

You'll notice an extra shiney chunk of cards towards the top right, thats where the kingdom cards stop and ruins and curses and poo poo begin.

Here you can see copper which didn't fit and spare cards just under those trays.

And finally here you can see how with some pretty basic woodworking you could make room for third row of cards and then have room for dividers and things.

Edit- Ow my tables.

I managed to even fit 7 wonders into it with the rest of the stuff. In total it has 7W, Love Letter, Agricola ACG&S, Race for the Galaxy + AA, full Dominion except Alchemy because i really hate alchemy.

gently caress Hobby lobby but this thing rules, just screw out the part that goes in the top to make everything fit.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/wooden-artist-case-125005/

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 12, 2015

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Intrigue
Seaside
Prosperity
Cornucopia
Hinterlands
Dark Ages
Guilds
Alchemy
upcoming 2015 expansion

basic synopses of each expansion (there's a Broken Loose post for that*):

Broken Loose posted:

In release order they are (and feature) Intrigue (cards with choices), Seaside (sustained actions), Alchemy (totally broken actions that require a unique resource), Prosperity (lots of money), Cornucopia (a wide variety of cards), Hinterlands (cards that act immediately upon gaining them), Dark Ages (manipulating the trash), and the final expansion Guilds (saved money and optional add-on purchases).
Sidenote: this only covers the original development cycle of the game. There is an encore expansion currently in production. Anybody who knows things about it is currently under an NDA.

PS: I see you people snickering about Chapel in the background, don't spoil that poo poo for them

*TABLPFT

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Broken Loose posted:

PS: I see you people snickering about Chapel in the background, don't spoil that poo poo for them

i don't think chapel is a card we've even drawn yet when randomizing the board.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
i think my biggest regret of New Board Game Thread is the lack of a growing mass of aggregated space alert quotes in the op.

edit:

Aston posted:

In summary, trying to train the battlebots in IT whilst they're revolting against you doesn't work.

Spiggy posted:

Sure- we may have died pretty horribly the next three games in a row, but it was probably one of the best experiences I've had in gaming in a long time. The highlight of the session was coordinating everyone to stare out the window during the final phase to celebrate our victory, only to discover that we didn't kill that destroyer which crashed into and destroyed the ship in that same round.

Broken Loose posted:

The Sitting Duck has:
  • Guns that need to be manually powered before automatically targetting and shooting incoming threats.
  • Shields that need to be manually charged and don't start with a full charge as a cost-saving measure.
  • The above, but also for the reactors.
  • Elevators that take an entire minute to traverse a single floor and can only fit a single crew member.
  • No anti-teleport shielding of any kind.
  • Reactors that are prone to overload, overheat, sabotage, spewing corrosive slime, and more, sometimes simultaneously.
  • In fact, all systems on the ship are highly prone to malfunction, hacking, poor maintenance, breaking, or sabotage.
  • No armor of any kind to protect vital areas of the ship from damage.
  • A contractual requirement of all crew members to use safety railings when moving around despite the fact that it demonstrably halves the efficiency of everybody on board.
  • An embarrassingly small complement of armed defense robots relative to the size of the ship. (and nobody else gets weapons ever)
  • The robots are semi-sentient and unable to function autonomously to protect the ship.
  • The robots are semi-sentient and occasionally achieve sentience only to predictably rebel against the Company and all onboard employees.
  • All high-level ship functions disabled by default and requiring ripping open consoles and rewiring to do things like charge reactors from upstairs, fire rockets without manually loading the tube, or fly interceptors more than 100 meters away from the ship.
  • No basic protection against ion cannons, resulting in entire crews getting killed, knocked unconscious, and/or physically disfigured simultaneously when encountering any alien races or mercenaries that utilize plasmatic technology.
  • Floorboards and wall panels cannot actually be opened in the case of an emergency (crews are known to force a Battlebot squad to pry them open).
  • etc.

Naturally the ship has a screen saver featuring an advertisement of the company who built the goddamn thing. Of COURSE we can't disable it, that would be against company policy! It's not like you're doing anything on those missions, anyway; the ship's computer is the one recording the sector and doing all the work while you sit on your rear end. And then it makes perfect sense that the screen saver activation turns off the lights because of a glitch in the ship's computer that cannot comprehend that it would never begin a mission manned and suddenly become unmanned halfway through under the logic that "nobody postponed the screen saver therefore there is nobody on board."

kaptainkaffeine posted:

I wanna love space alert but when people lose horribly the first time they get all discouraged and don't want to hear "ok, the tutorial went ok, let's try the first mission"

Putenbrust posted:

Now the blue zone had four damage markers. And lucky me! The octopus (two life points left) did exactly two damage...

...per remaining life point. Splendid. And as the mangled bits of octopus crashed into the Sitting Duck, tearing it apart with a loud, squishing noise, sucking me and my space beer and my nodding space snob androids into the cold and unforgiving void of the vacuum, I realized it.

Hubris is a bitch.

jayquirk posted:

Psssst... you don't need clones. That's for those other explorers. You can do it, you're good enough. You'll get your levels waaay faster. Don't you want to get levels?

Fuligin posted:

I thought space alert was just a goon meme until I finally got to play it with friends

everyone play space alert

Casnorf posted:

I got Space Alert the other week and even with all the general good feelings and hype surrounding it, I feel like it actually exceeded expectations. I absolutely cannot wait to play again.

Sloober posted:

It's all fun and games until your captain has a massive brain fart and accomplishes exactly zero of what he thought he was putting cards down for. (It's me, i'm the bad captain and instead of activating the crewbots and sealing the fissure in the hull I road the center lift up and down several times and looked out the window a couple times)

homullus posted:

Beat the two tutorial missions, then on the first simulation mission, communications officer (and the rest of us) learned that he should read the threat cards before firing the rockets twice on the major and minor asteroids converging on the ship. As chaotic as the "live" phase is, people were surprised at how tense the resolution phase felt.

We had to stop because our host's 5-year-old was getting freaked out by the robot voice. Kind of wish they'd gone with a irrationally cheerful female computer voice. The game was definitely worth it!

KiloVictorDongs posted:

Got my friends together to play my first couple of rounds of space alert yesterday.

I figured the constant gushing was hyperbole.

It's not. We died on our simulated mission, because we had a meticulous, beautiful plan that was completely thrown into disarray when our communications officer fired at a threat one turn before it appeared, while our captain and first mate crashed into each other on the way to the gravolift.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Space Alert - just...wow
Barely skated through the tutorial - jumped to the first simulation - got owned horribly in the first two - but we crushed the third (16 points!)
Then our captain spent the entire first Advanced Sim going up and down the elevator and firing empty lasers at no targets

gotta add all the new ones that have happened since, too

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 12, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
"Then our captain spent the entire first Advanced Sim going up and down the elevator and firing empty lasers at no targets" should just be printed on every single Space Alert box.

On another note, I've played a bit more Dungeon Lords and even though I knew it was going to be good I am shocked at how accessible it is. My regular group is me, my wife, a friend and his fiance and as soon as I opened the box the girls were going from component to component gawking at how cute everything was and how good the art was. Every time someone got a new trap or looked at a combat card they had a chuckle to themself at a joke they knew nobody else could see yet. The little story explanations for every space in the rulebook make explaining things fantastically easy. Despite being a heavier, meaner game I actually think it was easier to teach and more inviting than Castles of Burgundy. It's also plays much faster than you'd expect looking at it.

I should have bought Dungeon Petz a long time ago and now I can't find it anywhere. If they do an Anniversary edition of that one I'm buying it immediately.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Broken Loose posted:

i think my biggest regret of New Board Game Thread is the lack of a growing mass of aggregated space alert quotes in the op.

gotta add all the new ones that have happened since, too

This convinced me to buy the game. My bank account hates you.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Nevvy Z posted:

Gonna link the Hobby Lobby dominion box again because it really is the best solution by far for storage.

I managed to even fit 7 wonders into it with the rest of the stuff. In total it has 7W, Love Letter, Agricola ACG&S, Race for the Galaxy + AA, full Dominion except Alchemy because i really hate alchemy.

After stuffing all those cards into a wooden box, can you even lift that thing without breaking your back ?

Bubble-T posted:

I should have bought Dungeon Petz a long time ago and now I can't find it anywhere. If they do an Anniversary edition of that one I'm buying it immediately.

Hoping for one this year, been out of print for so long.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I've played Space Alert a few times with another goon, and had a good time. Thinking about picking it up finally.

Should I get the expansion at the same time as well? Does it add a lot, or is it just upping the difficulty?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

echoMateria posted:

After stuffing all those cards into a wooden box, can you even lift that thing without breaking your back ?

Hoping for one this year, been out of print for so long.

20.8 lbs.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Is there any difference between Dungeon Lords retail and the anniversary edition from the KS?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Space Alert is definitely the next game I'm buying.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Ravendas posted:

I've played Space Alert a few times with another goon, and had a good time. Thinking about picking it up finally.

Should I get the expansion at the same time as well? Does it add a lot, or is it just upping the difficulty?

The expansion is godlike. It adds new white and yellow threats, RED-level threats, and then the other poo poo, which is mainly divided into 2 categories.

(1) Campaign mode. You get a character sheet and make a persistent dude that levels up and stuff. The things you gain in this mode are all unauthorized equipment and modifications to the ship, so you can do things like open up wall panels to cross-wire the pulse cannon with any laser cannon on the ship, repair battlebots on the fly, give people stim injections that make them do heroic actions, concentrate really hard, do actual repairs with real tools instead of the automatic repair buttons, and so on. It's so perfect that I feel the base game is incomplete without it.

(2) Double Actions missions. You know that bit I wrote about safety railings? Double Actions missions let you not use safety railings, and they have their own deck of Double Actions cards. These missions have their own audio tracks that up the number of encountered threats to balance out the extra actions the crew gets.

Also there's other stuff! Badges for your crew members! A new way to fly interceptors! New tokens for when the A button breaks! Achievements! Ion Cannons*! Threats that summon other threats! A new set of Internal Threat number indicators! Stuff!

*You don't get Ion Cannons. Enemies get Ion Cannons. Ion Cannons instantly knock out any crew member in a zone they hit if said zone is unshielded at the time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I have Dominion and 7 Wonders questions

Dominion first; should I be using cheapy thin sleeves and attempting to keep everything fitting into the AMAZING box insert? Or should I shell out for nice sleeves that don't feel like paper and instead invest in some other manner of dominion-carrying device?

Related to/part of this question is; when building my set of 10 Kingdom cards (and this is for after I start investing in expansions), am I going to be getting 1 or 2 cards from each of 6 different expansions? Or should I say "Okay, this game is base game + Dark Ages only" and make a set of 10 out of that? If its the latter, I would really like to keep things in their original boxes, but if I'm literally just going to be mashing up all 200 different types of Kingdom Cards every time I randomize...I think a single box with some manner of divider or tab system would be best.

Also, how worth it is tracking down the promo cards? I like more actions/more choices, but are these going to set me back a mint, or are they fairly easy to come by?

7 Wonders: With Babel, are the little bag-shaped tokens for "Hey I participated in the Great Project" little cardboard chits or wooden meeple things? I've seen what looks like pictures of both online, and I'm not sure if I'm just seeing playtest/prototype vs final production versions or what.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for money token replacements? My gaming group has a habit of slinging cash around the table a bit too wildly, and I'd be easier to handle if I had solid plastic or possibly metal coins that will make more of a noise than cardboard when they fall off the table.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

jivjov posted:

I have Dominion and 7 Wonders questions

Dominion first; should I be using cheapy thin sleeves and attempting to keep everything fitting into the AMAZING box insert? Or should I shell out for nice sleeves that don't feel like paper and instead invest in some other manner of dominion-carrying device?

Related to/part of this question is; when building my set of 10 Kingdom cards (and this is for after I start investing in expansions), am I going to be getting 1 or 2 cards from each of 6 different expansions? Or should I say "Okay, this game is base game + Dark Ages only" and make a set of 10 out of that? If its the latter, I would really like to keep things in their original boxes, but if I'm literally just going to be mashing up all 200 different types of Kingdom Cards every time I randomize...I think a single box with some manner of divider or tab system would be best.

Also, how worth it is tracking down the promo cards? I like more actions/more choices, but are these going to set me back a mint, or are they fairly easy to come by?

Get good sleeves and a gigantic box in which to hold everything. You're gonna want to hold it all in one box instead of 10 anyway later on.

There are many ways to generate Kingdoms. You can use the built-in blue-backed randomizer cards, or you can exist in the 21st loving century and use an online randomizer. Online randomizers get better as you get more expansions, and the good ones (like I linked) also allow for other consistency options like forcing +1 Buy and +2 Actions.

The promos are all right. Black Market is awful. Stash, Envoy, and Walled Village are good cards all around. Governor and Prince are super powerful. Dominion sets come with blank cards that you can use to make your own versions of the promos if you like. You can also buy them on the BGG store and in other places for like $5 a pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Broken Loose posted:

Get good sleeves and a gigantic box in which to hold everything. You're gonna want to hold it all in one box instead of 10 anyway later on.

There are many ways to generate Kingdoms. You can use the built-in blue-backed randomizer cards, or you can exist in the 21st loving century and use an online randomizer. Online randomizers get better as you get more expansions, and the good ones (like I linked) also allow for other consistency options like forcing +1 Buy and +2 Actions.

The promos are all right. Black Market is awful. Stash, Envoy, and Walled Village are good cards all around. Governor and Prince are super powerful. Dominion sets come with blank cards that you can use to make your own versions of the promos if you like. You can also buy them on the BGG store and in other places for like $5 a pop.

Thanks for all the info! But in particular, for the bolded point, my specific question is; is the intent to be "themeing" my games by only including in the randomizing process cards from a couple expansions, or should I be including every single Kingdom card I possess into each trip through the randomizer?