Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I found the guy on Homestars.com, which is Canada-only, I believe.. As with any review site, YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Be sure to type the address right. The inspectors from homsar's are sketchy at best. Especially Señor Cardgage.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Here in DC we just had out first snow of the season. Today driving home I passed a McMansion infestation/complex and noticed they all had clean roofs. Most of the areas homes still have snow covered roofs as the temp has not broken 28F since it fell. I wonder how much insulation the builders got away with vs how much the owners think they have.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Here in DC we just had out first snow of the season. Today driving home I passed a McMansion infestation/complex and noticed they all had clean roofs. Most of the areas homes still have snow covered roofs as the temp has not broken 28F since it fell. I wonder how much insulation the builders got away with vs how much the owners think they have.

It's a safety feature, with better insulation the snow would collapse the poorly built roof!

RandomPauI posted:

Be sure to type the address right. The inspectors from homsar's are sketchy at best. Especially Señor Cardgage.

Thanks for this

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I live in DC and this is GLORIOUS. All of those McMansion complexes are tacky as all hell.

My contribution: I live in a townhouse built sometime in the mid 70s. This is in a corner of my bedroom:

Also I don't know who my landlord paid to paint the place before I moved in but whatever he paid was half as much as he should have, as every single light switch and electrical outlet was painted over. However, in the long run I guess it was a good thing because for half of them the paint is the only thing holding them in the wall!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

My contribution: I live in a townhouse built sometime in the mid 70s. This is in a corner of my bedroom:

Man, I really don't understand modern art.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My boss' house has two network jack panels on perpendicular walls of a room, within a foot of each other, with a cable connected between the two :confused: He has no idea how it got there or what it does but he doesn't want to mess with it.

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 8, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

My boss' house has two network jack panels on perpendicular walls of a room, within a foot of each other, with a cable connected between the two :confused: He has no idea how it got there or what it does but he doesn't want to mess with it.

I've done this before. There was an extra port in the room next door and the customer didn't want to wait until we could get someone with wire tape or sticks out to do it right, so a nice sized screwdriver through the wall plus some keystone jack panels and a two foot patch cord got them running.

I brought my tools out and did it right the next time I was out there.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

wolrah posted:

I've done this before. There was an extra port in the room next door and the customer didn't want to wait until we could get someone with wire tape or sticks out to do it right, so a nice sized screwdriver through the wall plus some keystone jack panels and a two foot patch cord got them running.

I brought my tools out and did it right the next time I was out there.

I think you're talking about going through a wall. He's talking about literally two jacks within a foot of each other on adjoining walls of the same room that are connected.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dragyn posted:

I think you're talking about going through a wall. He's talking about literally two jacks within a foot of each other on adjoining walls of the same room that are connected.

Right, so Room A has a spare network panel, and Room B, adjacent, needs network access. You punch a hole in the wall between A and B, thread a patch cable through the hole, and cap it with face plates. Then you hook up the spare Room A port to the new plate, and Room B has network access.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Right, so Room A has a spare network panel, and Room B, adjacent, needs network access. You punch a hole in the wall between A and B, thread a patch cable through the hole, and cap it with face plates. Then you hook up the spare Room A port to the new plate, and Room B has network access.

Right, I've done that too as a temporary thing, but that's not what Parallel is talking about, I don't think. There's only one room involved.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Re reading that with your highlight leads to believe the entire room must be less than 12" wide.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Motronic posted:

Re reading that with your highlight leads to believe the entire room must be less than 12" wide.

Wtf? Perpendicular. Not parallel. So, in a corner. The irony being that the post was made by Parallel, so v:shobon:v

e: vvv Seemed clear to me :confused:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 8, 2015

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Wtf? Perpendicular. Not parallel. So, in a corner. The irony being that the post was made by Parallel, so v:shobon:v

Yeah I should have just said "a corner", it was just two jacks in the corner of a single room connected to each other. Sorry :shobon:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Wtf? Perpendicular. Not parallel.

I'm either a moron or not fully caffeinated.

Possibly both.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dragyn posted:

Right, I've done that too as a temporary thing, but that's not what Parallel is talking about, I don't think. There's only one room involved.

Basically this is what I was describing.

1 is where there was existing unused wiring, 3 is where someone wanted a connection installed immediately.

What Parallel described basically fits the view from room B.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
When I bought my house I ran cat5 from my living room where the modem/router were to all the bedrooms. Recently when I upgraded to a wall mounted TV, I didn't feel like moving the 4 port cat5 plate up the wall to the shelf the router was now sitting on, so I installed a brush plate next to it. So there is a cat5 cable coming out of the cat5 plate and then entering a brush plate about 3 inches away, then exiting the wall a few feet above from another brush plate.

No regrets.

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded
Please continue debating the intricacies of different possible meanings of "in a corner". This is clearly a very complex and delicate topic that warrants at least several dozen pages of exploration.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

SwivelTits2000 posted:

Please continue debating the intricacies of different possible meanings of "in a corner". This is clearly a very complex and delicate topic that warrants at least several dozen pages of exploration.

The confusion already having been alleviated and everyone having moved on, we're all really stoked about your contribution :thumbsup:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Load-bearing poster.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Aren't we all.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Today I discovered that one of the shelves in my garage might as well have been attached to load-bearing drywall. The bottom of the bracket was screwed in place, but the top holes were nailed, and those nails decided to pull away, causing the shelf to fall forward and bend the brackets right above the screws. This is the same shelf my roommates stored pool-cleaning chemicals and pesticides on, so we're very fortunate that none of the containers broke or spilled. After we cleaned up we installed new shelves that sit on the floor instead of anchor to the wall. That's when I realized the "shelf" we just took down had cabinet door hardware on one side. :eng99:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Original (?) Art Deco elevator in the front building of one of our main tertiary hospitals in Perth.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Long story short, I am planning on entering into a one year Rent-Lease Agreement for a house. I should have content for this thread here soon enough, but for now I ask for advice.
Anyone have experience with this, things to watch out for? As far as the legal side of the agreement goes/the terms thereof.
I'll be doing repairs on the house myself (those that I can do, and those that I can research and learn to do)

I don't really want to gently caress myself, more than I already am! The house itself isn't really worth what I'll be paying. However, it has 10 acres of land, 9 of it wooded.
Has a 2bed/1 bath trailer on a corner of the property. Also has a capped well, which I'll be seeing about getting uncapped.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

Also has a capped well, which I'll be seeing about getting uncapped.
I don't know much about this, but I don't think I'd want to lock myself into a contract for a place that 'might' have potable water

rekamso
Jan 22, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

Anyone have experience with this, things to watch out for?

Watch out for this:

quote:

The house itself isn't really worth what I'll be paying.

:ms:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
It has city water, etc etc. I was talking about the well as added value, since it costs a fair bit to have a proper well dug.

10 acres has its own value, if it was the house on a half acre, then no.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

are they going to rent out the trailer in the corner to some crazy redneck that will also say "hey, 10acres, sweet!" ?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Having seen a lot of construction these days in the southern Ohio area, just about nothing is built with any care ... so that makes me feel not as angry about the turd I bought. It was hard times, I am thankful we have a roof over our head but man, manufactured home companies seem to be the place to hire total noobs to the trade. I would imagine the criteria for obtaining a job is "do you enjoy filling lumber with staples?". They are built sturdy as far as the floors and exterior walls go, but everything else is a crap shoot. The roof is hilariously terrible with 1x2 as the material of choice for the truss system, as is the 2" of cellulose they spray in (no joke, 2" is all I had). I blew in more last week .. at least as much as I could get to.

But today I found a gem, four of them to be exact. Our master bedroom has ALWAYS been cold, in fact most of the house has been cold with our heat pump having to run frequently (avg 80-100 kWh/day in the cold @ 62-66F). My nifty new FLIR e4 told me that this particular wall was REALLY cold, so I tore off the drywall and checked behind the insulation to find 4 roughly 7"x4" holes (seems to have been put there by a hammer). Rather than covering up the holes with some OSB or something they just left them and covered it with insulation. I had cold air pouring in and freezing me out. I sealed them up and re-insulated (with some better R19 unfaced) and so far the house actually keeps temperature pretty well. We have been replacing most of the drywall throughout the house so I shouldn't be surprised since I have frequently found spots where 98% of the cavity was filled but they left 6" or so totally open. I also had a nice 2" wide gap running up the marriage line in our walk in closet .. I could see all the way to the ridge vent but I spray foamed that shut.

If I were in the market again I think I would have to find a home that needed to be totally gutted, I don't think I would ever trust a home again to just be "OK". Funny enough though, my place is on 5.5 acres (which is what attracted me .. doh) and the home is the typical redneck "WE GOTTA LOVE LOTS OF THEM SQUARE FEET" with no thought about usable space inside. I'm slowly fixing that.

I'm really sad at how long it took me to figure out what the heck this was .. and also that no one else has mentioned it. That has to be the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 14, 2015

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Johnny Aztec posted:

It has city water, etc etc. I was talking about the well as added value, since it costs a fair bit to have a proper well dug.

10 acres has its own value, if it was the house on a half acre, then no.

Why are you talking about making improvements to the property? Do you mean rent-to-buy agreement? Or is it a standard lease?

Why is a well more attractive to you than municipal water?

Fake edit: Wait, are you leasing, and agreeing to fix everything that's wrong with the house? I think you're doing this very wrong.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Call it whatever you will, I'll be renting for the next year, and then do a proper loan at that time (minus what I've paid in rent). It is unorthodox, but not unheard of.
It's a binding contract, drawn up by a lawyer and notarized.

I really don't get why you keep having confusion about a well. Who has said anything about cutting off city water?
I like to have a big garden, a well would be useful for this! It costs a good chunk of change to get a well set up, so I am factoring this into the property value.
If you can't think of uses for a well, then you either live deep in a city, or just don't have much imagination.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 14, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Johnny Aztec posted:

I like to have a big garden, a well would be useful for this! It costs a good chunk of change to get a well set up, so I am factoring this into the property value.

You're assuming the well is usable. Or maybe you just haven't said that you know it is. This agreement to purchase in a year is a pretty huge investment, so it pays to make certain everything is the way you expect it to be. That doesn't mean it has to be right, but e.g. you don't want to pay $5k extra because there's a well on the property only to discover that it's dry/contaminated/etc. That also goes for the structures on the property: get them inspected!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I have personally walked through with an inspector. He checked from top to bottom. I'd have to be a bigger fool than I am to NOT get an inspection done.
You make a point about the well. I don't recall when they said they had it capped off, but it had been in use up until that point.
The owner had gotten old, and couldn't really keep up with things like a big garden or whatever.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's cool and all that they said that, but those words are worth exactly loving zero.

Step 1 is stop believing people who have a vested interest in selling you something without evidence to back it up.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I appreciate that you are trying to help, and keep me from making a costly mistake, but ya'll need to step the intensity back a couple steps.
I've had inspections done, and I am getting a lawyer to look over the contract before anything is signed.
There is a fine line between "protecting yourself" and " everyone is out to gently caress you"

I'm not a goon in a well, so I'd appreciate dialing back the hostility a bit.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I am not any sort of real-estate guru, but,

When I got my start in construction the fellow who owned the place sold most of his homes/property on land contract,
It's all well and good, but if you miss a payment it basically reverted back to his ownership.
Look into this, and either don't ever miss a payment, or what have you.

I mean, it's not like you get to keep a house if you miss mortgage payments either, but at least the contract gives you some leeway. Owner to lessee contracts can pretty much give them the house back instantly after non-payment and you'd loose all your equity.

You definitely won't get this at distressed bankruptcy rock-bottom prices, but market value/asking price, but if the place is cool and you can fix it up, more power to you!

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

I appreciate that you are trying to help, and keep me from making a costly mistake, but ya'll need to step the intensity back a couple steps.
I've had inspections done, and I am getting a lawyer to look over the contract before anything is signed.
There is a fine line between "protecting yourself" and " everyone is out to gently caress you"

i have no hostility in my loving heart, but you may in fact be a moron

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Johnny Aztec posted:

None of it was aimed at you, but if you can't make that distinction, I am done trying to give you advise. Hell, apparently you think you don't need any. So I am not sure why you asked.

Suit yourself.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Johnny Aztec posted:

Oh my sweet summer child, but they are; each and every person in a real estate deal is out to gently caress you, if only by the fact that they don't have your interests at heart, only theirs.

I hope you get lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Indolent Bastard posted:

Oh my sweet summer child, but they are; each and every person in a real estate deal is out to gently caress you, if only by the fact that they don't have your interests at heart, only theirs.

I hope you get lucky.

This cannot be true, the world is a wonderful place! :roflolmao:

Edit : I've found I enjoy HGTV shows a bit too much, but last night that "Holmes makes it right" show was on and I like that dude .. everyone that did prior work were idiots. That's one of my favorite ways to describe people. In this case said idiots had cut floor joists to fit in drain pipe .. cut, as in with a sawzall or circular instead of boring a hole .. so the integrity of the joist was just not quite there.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 14, 2015