Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

pangstrom posted:

Anybody else put off by the tone of Sword and Scale? It can get REALLY overheated and cable-news-y, most noticeably in Episode 31 (Canadian-guy-gets-decapitated-on-the-bus episode).

I've only listened to a couple of episodes so far (starting from the beginning) but so far the host has a very... true crime writer-y view on mental health. A lot of "anyone around you could be a psychopath, even someone you know!" kinda stuff. I'm not sure that the 'be scared of the mentally ill because they could go off at any time' thing holds up any more. It reminds me of reading books on serial killers when I was in high school 15 years ago.

Its not enough yet to send me away yet, but off putting is a good way to put it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

ChetReckless posted:

I've only listened to a couple of episodes so far (starting from the beginning) but so far the host has a very... true crime writer-y view on mental health. A lot of "anyone around you could be a psychopath, even someone you know!" kinda stuff. I'm not sure that the 'be scared of the mentally ill because they could go off at any time' thing holds up any more. It reminds me of reading books on serial killers when I was in high school 15 years ago.

Its not enough yet to send me away yet, but off putting is a good way to put it.
Yeah I've only listened to the most recent 3 episodes. We know the guy has mental health problems, you don't need to say PSYCHOSIS like Bane would, and yeah also decapitation is pretty gruesome and serious, we're with you, you don't need to waste time circling back to give the Nancy Grace take and fear-monger at every opportunity.

It's sort of the podcast version of when a movie plays a really loud and lugubrious score behind a sad scene. Yeah we know how to feel about this stop loving up the movie please! Anyway, I'll continue listening for now since the subject matter is compelling, but my two cents as someone walking into this and Criminal fresh is that Criminal seems a lot smarter.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Are there any good WWII podcasts? I'm listening to the one by Ray Harris Jr., but he's a little bland at times. The dream is something with multiple hosts but one person is fine if they're engaging. Alternately, are there any good shows out there that consist of interviews with veterans of WWII? I know it's getting a little late to make such a thing but if older interviews are available someplace in MP3 form I would love to know about it.

Cheers!

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

I don't know if this is really the right place for it (as in site demographic, not thread limitations), but I've been listening to religion and spirituality podcasts lately, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I'm looking especially for in-depth Catholic or liturgical Christian-leaning stuff, Islam, and Taoism, but Protestant Christian, Buddhism, etc., are all still highly encouraged. My own position is ostensibly agnostic, and my politics skew toward the left, so anything in the vein of like a Mike Huckabee can be ignored. Material out of right-wing groups like the Family Research Council, Wall Builders, or American Family Association, while maybe interesting for presentation of their views, are not a desired focus for the devotion of my listening time.

These don't have to be too specific, or explicitly religious. One of my favorite podcasts is the Duncan Trussell Family Hour, which is Buddhist comedian Trussell interviewing various personalities and talking about 'far-out poo poo' for 90 minutes or more. (Here's a fun one with Dan Harmon http://youtu.be/1bIiDqGKdG4 )

Another favorite is Homebrewed Christianity, which goes in depth on Christianity from a primarily liberal Protestant angle, covering stuff like process theology and theopoetics, with interviews with theologians and thinkers like Joseph Bracken, John Cobb, Catherine Keller, Reza Aslan, and Peter Rollins. The HC group have a whole stable of podcasts, including "TNT: Theology Nerd Throwdown" and the "Homebrewed Culturecast".

Also already in the stable are: Catholic Comments (out of Jesuit Creighton University, most eps ~20 min, news, interviews, glances at church fathers and relevant issues), On Being with Krista Tippett (interviews with individuals across the belief and non-belief spectra), Reel World Theology (some guys look at Hollywood movies from a Christian perspective), The America Magazine Podcast (I like Jesuits).

I do have the Buddhist Geeks on my list but haven't gotten into it, and through Trussell's show I've added The Drunken Taoist but Bolelli's accent is hard to take in large doses.

Any ideas? (English only, BTW)

Anyway, if anyone is really into strategy/4X PC games, hurry up and listen to Three Moves Ahead. Besides having great interviews with devs and great title features/reviews, it's just really well done and fun to listen to.

Do you like Twin Peaks? Fire Talk With Me.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

pangstrom posted:

Anybody else put off by the tone of Sword and Scale? It can get REALLY overheated and cable-news-y, most noticeably in Episode 31 (Canadian-guy-gets-decapitated-on-the-bus episode).

I sorta like that they do this. Most well-produced podcasts like this one take a neutral tone, it's nice to have one that's different.

supercow
Aug 11, 2009
Any recommendations for a good video game podcast mostly with news/reviews and less interviews and people dicking around? I've tried quite a few of them like Giant bomb, game informer and indoor kids. Also anyone have any good anime podcast recommendations? All the ones I've listened to have really annoying hosts.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I'm looking for a good movie podcast that does straight forward in-depth reviews and analysis and isn't full of the hosts doing schtick or trying to be funny all the time, as well as not being a bad movie podcast.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

savinhill posted:

I'm looking for a good movie podcast that does straight forward in-depth reviews and analysis and isn't full of the hosts doing schtick or trying to be funny all the time, as well as not being a bad movie podcast.

You might like Malton on Movies. It isn't overly in-depth, but Leonard Malton knows his poo poo. He picks a theme for the episode (i.e. biopics, sequels, etc) and picks a good example, a bad example, and a sleeper you may not have heard of. I'm not a huge fan of the co-host (trying to be funny all the time syndrome) but I think Malton makes up for it. Even though there is a 'bad' movie example it isn't overly negative.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather

Kamakaze9 posted:

Anyone have anything good dealing with psychology? I've always been interested in the subject but I'm too practical to choose it as a major and too busy to take it on as a hobby right now. I'm fine with either lecture/lesson or conversational/topical format.

Very Bad Wizards...it's hosted by a psychologist and a philosopher. They mostly talk about ethics, but there's quite a bit of psychology in it. It's informal conversation with occasional guests. I'm 9 episodes in and I really like it.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I'll echo Very Bad Wizards, especially for social psychology. It benefits from having some knowledge of philosophy, though, as the discussions can get a bit technical. If you're vaguely familiar with basic ideas like determinism and terms like deontological you'll feel less lost when they go down a rabbit hole. The hosts have good chemistry together.

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!
Thanks, I'll look into it. I gave the psych files a 25 episode trial but the host was exceptionally irritating, though I couldn't tell you why. I did learn a bit from it though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

savinhill posted:

I find the /Filmcast to be quite good, though I'm not sure if it's too shticky for you.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Are there any good WWII podcasts? I'm listening to the one by Ray Harris Jr., but he's a little bland at times. The dream is something with multiple hosts but one person is fine if they're engaging. Alternately, are there any good shows out there that consist of interviews with veterans of WWII? I know it's getting a little late to make such a thing but if older interviews are available someplace in MP3 form I would love to know about it.

Cheers!

Have you tried Hardcore History?

Request : Are there any english language podcasts that focus on French national politics?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

savinhill posted:

Filmspotting

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I'm not looking for podcasts so much as something to play them on. I have an iphone and the native Podcasts app seems to have a lot of problems (randomly skipping ahead during the middle of a podcast, generally terrible UI). Are there any recommended apps for the iphone? Maybe something that syncs between that and my PC?

Oh and just so this post isn't completely useless I'll share a couple of the podcasts I've been listening to

99% Invisible probably doesn't need too much introduction but in case you haven't listened to it yet it's a guy with a smooth voice talking about things that people make. It's a little light and the episodes are only about 10 minutes a piece, but it's always interesting.

Sound Opinions has a podcast which is really just a radio show rebroadcast, but it's worth listening to. It's two guys from Chicago talking about all kinds of music. The episodes are longer but the hosts do a really great job of critically examining the things they talk about, so it's not just "I like this thing, I did not like that thing." Plus they have live music in the studio fairly often, so that's good.

Song Exploder is one guy who picks a song and then takes 15 minutes to completely examine its creation, including interviews with artists and cut takes. The last two songs have been by Ghostface Killah and The National, so there's a pretty good range of music.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

Overcast is an awesome podcast manager for iOS. I would highly recommend it.

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!

yung jew posted:

Overcast is an awesome podcast manager for iOS. I would highly recommend it.

This is the last suggestion you need to read. Get it.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Film Junk is pretty much my favorite and only regularly listened to film podcast. They are Canadians who do reviews of current films, and have a great mix of humor along with actual good film discussion. Not sure how known or popular they are among RGD poster, but thought I would throw them out there if you looking for some good film discussion.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
I listened to a few episodes of Very Bad Wizards, and while I liked it quite a bit, the hosts spending literally fifteen minutes talking poo poo before even mentioning the topic for the podcast got really annoying.

Edit: I actually started from the beginning, and they start of pretty strong and focused. Maybe the loving around in later episodes is more interesting if you get to know them first.

military cervix fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 23, 2015

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Bolocko posted:

I don't know if this is really the right place for it (as in site demographic, not thread limitations), but I've been listening to religion and spirituality podcasts lately, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I'm looking especially for in-depth Catholic or liturgical Christian-leaning stuff, Islam, and Taoism, but Protestant Christian, Buddhism, etc., are all still highly encouraged. My own position is ostensibly agnostic, and my politics skew toward the left, so anything in the vein of like a Mike Huckabee can be ignored. Material out of right-wing groups like the Family Research Council, Wall Builders, or American Family Association, while maybe interesting for presentation of their views, are not a desired focus for the devotion of my listening time.

These don't have to be too specific, or explicitly religious. One of my favorite podcasts is the Duncan Trussell Family Hour, which is Buddhist comedian Trussell interviewing various personalities and talking about 'far-out poo poo' for 90 minutes or more. (Here's a fun one with Dan Harmon http://youtu.be/1bIiDqGKdG4 )

Another favorite is Homebrewed Christianity, which goes in depth on Christianity from a primarily liberal Protestant angle, covering stuff like process theology and theopoetics, with interviews with theologians and thinkers like Joseph Bracken, John Cobb, Catherine Keller, Reza Aslan, and Peter Rollins. The HC group have a whole stable of podcasts, including "TNT: Theology Nerd Throwdown" and the "Homebrewed Culturecast".

Also already in the stable are: Catholic Comments (out of Jesuit Creighton University, most eps ~20 min, news, interviews, glances at church fathers and relevant issues), On Being with Krista Tippett (interviews with individuals across the belief and non-belief spectra), Reel World Theology (some guys look at Hollywood movies from a Christian perspective), The America Magazine Podcast (I like Jesuits).

I do have the Buddhist Geeks on my list but haven't gotten into it, and through Trussell's show I've added The Drunken Taoist but Bolelli's accent is hard to take in large doses.

Anyway, if anyone is really into strategy/4X PC games, hurry up and listen to Three Moves Ahead. Besides having great interviews with devs and great title features/reviews, it's just really well done and fun to listen to.

Do you like Twin Peaks? Fire Talk With Me.

Darkwood Brew is a good podcast but they haven't updated in a while. They have a lot of interesting guests on the show and discuss theology. Pulpit Fiction follows the revised common lectionary and discusses the reading of the week. It's more like a church service/sermon than a theological discussion, but I find it pretty interesting. The Bible Geek and The Human Bible are both done by Dr. Robert Price, an atheist New Testament Scholar who really goes in depth on Bible history and stories. Relevant Magazine has a podcast that discusses pop culture and Christianity. The hosts are actually pretty funny.

Hope that helps!

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011
This might be too vague but are there fitness/healthy podcasts that you can recommend? Something goony with some humor mixed with you should be doing this or that as opposed to a robotic personal trainer or overly bubbly spin instructor. Or even vegetarian/vegan with a twist of humor that doesn't focus solely on the ethical side?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Film Junk is pretty much my favorite and only regularly listened to film podcast. They are Canadians who do reviews of current films, and have a great mix of humor along with actual good film discussion. Not sure how known or popular they are among RGD poster, but thought I would throw them out there if you looking for some good film discussion.
Thanks -- tried it out, it's good. It's pretty long and one guy is definitely spergy but I'm a fan.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

FitFortDanga posted:

Filmspotting

The best there is. I will also check out Filmjunk soon based on the recommendation on this very page.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

Ms. Happiness posted:

Darkwood Brew is a good podcast but they haven't updated in a while. They have a lot of interesting guests on the show and discuss theology. Pulpit Fiction follows the revised common lectionary and discusses the reading of the week. It's more like a church service/sermon than a theological discussion, but I find it pretty interesting. The Bible Geek and The Human Bible are both done by Dr. Robert Price, an atheist New Testament Scholar who really goes in depth on Bible history and stories. Relevant Magazine has a podcast that discusses pop culture and Christianity. The hosts are actually pretty funny.

Hope that helps!
Wonderful, I'm adding them to the list. Thanks!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I like really like Filmjunk too. They guys have been friends since childhood and it shows. It isn't really "serious film analysis" but they aren't fanboys looking for internet points either. I've never heard them say "my reading of the film", for example.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

pangstrom posted:

Thanks -- tried it out, it's good. It's pretty long and one guy is definitely spergy but I'm a fan.

Frank is totally the spergy one, but honestly he just gets enthusiastic and obsessive about the things he does and doesn't like about films. He was added to the cast two years ago and since then the co-hosts (especially Jay) tend to call him out on his BS, but I think even Frank realizes he is a bit silly sometimes. I agree with the poster that said they don't get too fanboyish. They never rush to heap praise on the latest blockbuster unless they really love it. Their Captain America: Winter Soldier episode is a good example of them having a pretty lukewarm reaction to a comic book movie the internet was loving at the time

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!
I finally got around to checking out "Very Bad Wizards", and I'm really happy about it! It's just what I was looking in a psychological/philosophical podcast.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Apologies if I missed it, but is there a thread to discuss the making of podcasts? I'm working on a video podcast project and would like to talk shop as far as equipment (especially audio), etc.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Thanks for the overcast recommendations, works great.

The Erland posted:

I listened to a few episodes of Very Bad Wizards, and while I liked it quite a bit, the hosts spending literally fifteen minutes talking poo poo before even mentioning the topic for the podcast got really annoying.

Edit: I actually started from the beginning, and they start of pretty strong and focused. Maybe the loving around in later episodes is more interesting if you get to know them first.

They really get into their cult of personality roles lately, the discussion still isn't bad but they assume that they have way more latitude to take up a bunch of time rambling now that they have a following. They may not be wrong. On the other hand, once you fast forward through all the off topic stuff, the episodes are back to being a reasonable length!

I finally broke down and started listening to perennial favorites Night Vale and Radiolab, I like Night Vale a lot but Radiolab seems a little light on actual facts and goes really heavy on stupid sound effects and snarky voice overs. Does anyone have any favorite Radiolab episodes they'd recommend? I'm willing to give them another chance.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

I really liked the episode "Deception"

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

I finally broke down and started listening to perennial favorites Night Vale and Radiolab, I like Night Vale a lot but Radiolab seems a little light on actual facts and goes really heavy on stupid sound effects and snarky voice overs. Does anyone have any favorite Radiolab episodes they'd recommend? I'm willing to give them another chance.

I don't find Radiolab to be particularly snarky, but I do think it's distractingly over-produced and prone to making conclusions that it didn't necessarily earn with the evidence it has presented (usually to fit the hosts' narrative).

Here are some episodes I remember enjoying, in general order of preference:

- Talking to Machines
- Speed
- ≤ kg
- 60 Words
- Worth
- Limits
- Black Box
- KILL 'EM ALL
- Neither Confirm Nor Deny
- Speedy Beet

If you're still looking for more, the new podcast Invisibilia is very much in the same vein as Radiolab. It just wrapped up its first season and is made by Lulu Miller (who you may recognize from Radiolab) and Alix Spiegel (This American Life). The show definitely wears its Radiolab influence on its sleeve, though.

Gorrister
May 14, 2014
Hey I've been working on recording an audiobook. Where is the best place to post it - RGD, CC or the book barn?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Bolocko posted:

Believe it or not, the GameChurch podcast is pretty good. They interview game developers about belief/faith and it intersects with their craft. Ignore the logo.

There's also a website called Christ & Pop Culture that just launched a network of 5 or 6 podcasts. Their main show goes up three (maybe two? their website is down for me at the moment so I can't look it up) times a week and examines culture and current events from a generally liberal protestant perspective. Haven't heard any of the others in the network yet.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Good video game podcast? One that covers arty games and interactive fiction and adventure games. Or at least one of those.

I step with trepidation into the land of video game podcasts.

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012

Lampsacus posted:

Good video game podcast? One that covers arty games and interactive fiction and adventure games. Or at least one of those.

Idle Thumbs, definitely.

The cast has experience working on adventure games (The Walking Dead, Tales of Monkey Island), and they're big fans of the classic adventure games and go back to talking about them pretty often. Their tastes these days lean towards artsy games a lot, and they're a podcast that doesn't feel the need to talk about the latest AAA game if they aren't interested in it.

Just a really interesting group of people whom I could listen to tell me their opinion on art all day.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Subscribed. Perfect. Thanks.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Does anyone know of any Dan Carlin style history podcasts? I just finished up the entire backlog of Hardcore History after getting as a Christmas gift and need to fill up the 3 hours of incredibly detailed history that has now opened up in my life.

e: having the time to actually read the thread, ignore my question :v: Unless there's been some new history podcasts in the past four years, that is.

MatildaTheHun fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 3, 2015

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
are there any decent True Crime podcasts that aren't Sword and Scale?

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Lampsacus posted:

Videogames Hotdog covers these, too. It's the people who do Kingdom of Loathing and the guy who did Frog Fractions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Same question for non-shticky, non humorous movie podcasts - but for not current films? Could be B-movies, bad movies, forgotten gems, great movies, or film history in general - just not about films in theaters now. Think The Hollywood Gauntlet.

e: or perhaps Maltin on Movies or The Canon, but I'd prefer something that's not just straight-up reviews. The Canon only really did it for me when it did the Star Wars vs. Empire Strikes Back and E.T. vs. Close Encounters.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 13, 2015